• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia/Werewolf |OT| A forum game of secrets and treachery - sign up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

SalvaPot

I have no power over what games are going to run or when the sign-ups are going to be available, I am just too excited about a game I want to run, but its up to crab and other game moderators with more experience to decide how we should run it.

Calling dibs means nothing, with each season GAFIA usually runs a sign-up thread in off-topic followed by a planning thread on community. Its all very serious, yupyup.

...Damn it, I should have subbed to the thread.

Don't worry, I think that had to do with lone-prodigy already being the first on the replacement list and him accidentally getting skipped over when czartim needed a replacement iirc

We always need extra replacements, and I'm sure you'll get into a game soon. If not, season 3 is ending, so you should be able to get into season 4.

cabot

There was a 50% chance I found kittys whole claim scene really funny even though we did actually lose a PR.

Archer and NX was stressful as fuck, election was just totes hilarz

cabot

No duh, you were able to take center stage and spotlight

look you couldnt make it up, the guy acting as obama is the one who gets to have my role claim, I even used the birth certificate joke.

too good.

SHUT UP HYPER

edit: also I technically had the centre stage and spotlight for NX D1 (shared with Kark/batsnacks) but for very different and much more frustrating reasons!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
RE: more games, we'll talk about that when this season has ended. I still think there's an advantage to the season structure (if only for recruitment from OT), but obviously we're a big community now and you guys have more games than I could possibly try and arrange and the drive to play multiple games simultaneously. Right now I'm thinking that we keep the "big" 20+ players games in the season structure, just so we have some big headliners with a strong degree of quality control to draw in new people, but just allow freely running games like NX and Election 2016 at the game-runners' discretion - especially as it allows people some more experience at game-running.

I know I'm not exactly very present these days - very busy at the moment.

CzarTim

RE: more games, we'll talk about that when this season has ended. I still think there's an advantage to the season structure (if only for recruitment from OT), but obviously we're a big community now and you guys have more games than I could possibly try and arrange and the drive to play multiple games simultaneously. Right now I'm thinking that we keep the "big" 20+ players games in the season structure, just so we have some big headliners with a strong degree of quality control to draw in new people, but just allow freely running games like NX and Election 2016 at the game-runners' discretion - especially as it allows people some more experience at game-running.

I know I'm not exactly very present these days - very busy at the moment.

I really like this idea! It solves the problem of recruitment and there being too much time between seasons in one go. All I ask is that we allow people to trade spots in games for the big ones if we're still randomizing the player list.

Karkador

Banned
I think we should keep the season structure.

Personally, I think the smaller games and subbing dead players from one game into another game is confusing as hell, making a mess of everything that runs on QuickTopic, and making the community a little more insular (less fresh meat, more repeat players).

As for who hosts, that's primarily up to how many signups there are - more signups, more games.

I propose that with so many more people wanting to moderate, we should have a system to better design and check games before they get run. 1-2 people can't do all that work.

Sorian

Banned

Personally, I think the smaller games and subbing dead players from one game into another game is confusing as hell, making a mess of everything that runs on QuickTopic, and making the community a little more insular (less fresh meat, more repeat players).

As for who hosts, that's primarily up to how many signups there are - more signups, more games.

I propose that with so many more people wanting to moderate, we should have a system to better design and check games before they get run. 1-2 people can't do all that work.

I second this completely.

nin1000

Banned

I agree Completely

Ok, lamebrains. Kark, what do you propose in terms of having more people help out?

Ouro and I were talking, and I was thinking having maybe 2 of the past mods tutor a new mod, while the third of us gets to participate in that game. Basically, compartmentalize things so nobody gets shut out of participating, and 2 people is enough to look over one game. The problem comes when you have people who send their games out to 5 different people to review, I think.

RetroMG

I have no power over what games are going to run or when the sign-ups are going to be available, I am just too excited about a game I want to run, but its up to crab and other game moderators with more experience to decide how we should run it.

Calling dibs means nothing, with each season GAFIA usually runs a sign-up thread in off-topic followed by a planning thread on community. Its all very serious, yupyup.

Preeety much this.

EDIT: I am clearly late to the conversation. Just woke up.

Karkador

Banned
Ok, lamebrains. Kark, what do you propose in terms of having more people help out?

Ouro and I were talking, and I was thinking having maybe 2 of the past mods tutor a new mod, while the third of us gets to participate in that game. Basically, compartmentalize things so nobody gets shut out of participating, and 2 people is enough to look over one game. The problem comes when you have people who send their games out to 5 different people to review, I think.

2 mods to tutor one new mod? With 3 + 4 new games coming up each season, that's 6-8 tutors that don't really exist, AFAIK.

I say we put together materials that people can read through, so we don't have to personally be there to walk every mod through the process and repeat ourselves.

A standard library of GAFia-approved roles that people can readily pull from (although these resources are already out there, the quality varies) would help. I'm all for creativity, and I wouldn't say "You can only use these roles", but I also think there's a little too much in-game rampant speculation about whatever the fuck roles are in the game - it's getting to the point where you might as well roleclaim any sort of power, because anything goes.

As for tutoring and design advice: Crab wrote a guide for putting together games - maybe the mods from S2 and S3 can add to it, based on what they learned from running their games. In many ways, all these games (even the 'normal' ones') are experiments that don't run as anticipated.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I agree the subbing of dead players was absolutely not ideal. We only did so because we had far more replacements than is normal, and had nowhere else to go. However, I think that in itself is worrying. I'm not sure where the whole blame lies, but I definitely think the sheer post count for this round was exhausting. The first game I hosted was probably on the quiet side, but the second season I think had a pretty good post pacing. I'm not sure why we've suddenly gone from 30 page games to 100 page games despite having slightly smaller player numbers. I'm even less sure what we can do about it.

I'm very wary of having people mod games without having them quality-checked by someone with experience. Equally, you're right 1-2 people can't really do it all any more. I'll have to think about that.

Nevertheless, not long until Danganronpa begins and we'll start up the review thread like we did last time. There's other stuff I want to talk about too - mafia underperformance being one.

Sorian

Banned
2 mods to tutor one new mod? With 3 + 4 new games coming up each season, that's 6-8 tutors that don't really exist, AFAIK.

I say we put together materials that people can read through, so we don't have to personally be there to walk every mod through the process and repeat ourselves.

A standard library of roles that people can readily pull from (although these resources are already out there, the quality varies) would help. I'm all for creativity, and I wouldn't say "You can only use these roles", but I also think there's a little too much in-game rampant speculation about whatever the fuck roles are in the game - it's getting to the point where you might as well roleclaim any sort of power, because anything goes.

As for tutoring and design advice: Crab wrote a guide for putting together games - maybe the mods from S2 and S3 can add to it, based on what they learned from running their games. In many ways, all these games (even the 'normal' ones') are experiments that don't run as anticipated.

Isn't the bolded kind of the point of a lot of fake role claims? No one deep in the game knows what roles do and do not exist so talking through whether a role is fake or not is just dependent on the hope that the game runner made a balanced game most of the time.

A standard library of GAFia-approved roles that people can readily pull from (although these resources are already out there, the quality varies) would help. I'm all for creativity, and I wouldn't say "You can only use these roles", but I also think there's a little too much in-game rampant speculation about whatever the fuck roles are in the game - it's getting to the point where you might as well roleclaim any sort of power, because anything goes.

Just from what I've seen and helped people with, people need a guiding hand past a written guide. I don't think people are as responsive to that as they are to someone actively telling them what's specifically good or bad about their game. I think the mentoring is a must.

Also, you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying, there are 3 season mods right now, myself Ouro and Traube. Ouro and I can look over one game, help out on it; however, since Traube has no involvement with this game, he can participate in this game. We can do this with up to 3 games.

nin1000

Banned
I agree the subbing of dead players was absolutely not ideal. We only did so because we had far more replacements than is normal, and had nowhere else to go. However, I think that in itself is worrying. I'm not sure where the whole blame lies, but I definitely think the sheer post count for this round was exhausting. The first game I hosted was probably on the quiet side, but the second season I think had a pretty good post pacing. I'm not sure why we've suddenly gone from 30 page games to 100 page games despite having slightly smaller player numbers. I'm even less sure what we can do about it.

I'm very wary of having people mod games without having them quality-checked by someone with experience. Equally, you're right 1-2 people can't really do it all any more. I'll have to think about that.

Nevertheless, not long until Danganronpa begins and we'll start up the review thread like we did last time. There's other stuff I want to talk about too - mafia underperformance being one.

It took 3 people to change everything :p

Karkador

Banned
Isn't the bolded kind of the point of a lot of fake role claims? No one deep in the game knows what roles do and do not exist so talking through whether a role is fake or not is just dependent on the hope that the game runner made a balanced game most of the time.

One of the things my Animal Crossing game got criticized for (and generally the issue with more special, "designed" games with a strong gimmick) was players having to argue about the moderator's intentions, instead of arguing about player intentions. I don't think it's very fun or fair to have the game pivot on moderator intent, especially when the moderator can't even comment without influencing the game.

A fixed pool of roles can work like Poker. There are 52 cards in a deck, and everybody knows exactly what's in the deck. Even then, there's still plenty of room to bluff and make your hand seem like something it's not.

Although it may seem a little counterintuitive, I think there is a stronger potential to make interesting and effective fake claims when more of the game information is known.

Sorian

Banned
Also, you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying, there are 3 season mods right now, myself Ouro and Traube. Ouro and I can look over one game, help out on it; however, since Traube has no involvement with this game, he can participate in this game. We can do this with up to 3 games.

Launch and Ouro mentor Game runner A and Traube can play in Game A.
Ouro and Traube mentor Game Runner B and Launch can play in Game B.
Launch and Traube mentor Game Runner C and Ouro can play in Game C.

Add in Crab and Kark around (and Matty too who did pop in once or twice this season so idk how interested or active he still is) and there are plenty of mentors to go with each new game runner while still allowing anyone mentoring to play.

Add in Crab and Kark around (and Matty too who did pop in once or twice this season so idk how interested or active he still is) and there are plenty of mentors to go with each new game runner while still allowing anyone mentoring to play.

Exactly.

bolded part: very agree

mafia team really suffers loads when a member or two is not pulling their own weights :<

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
One of the things my Animal Crossing game got criticized for (and generally the issue with more special, "designed" games with a strong gimmick) was players having to argue about the moderator's intentions, instead of arguing about player intentions. I don't think it's very fun or fair to have the game pivot on moderator intent, especially when the moderator can't even comment without influencing the game.

A fixed pool of roles can work like Poker. There are 52 cards in a deck, and everybody knows exactly what's in the deck. Even then, there's still plenty of room to bluff and make your hand seem like something it's not.

Although it may seem a little counterintuitive, I think there is a stronger potential to make interesting and effective fake claims when more of the game information is known.

These are both viable game types. I think we are large enough as a mafia community we can do what most mafia communities do and split off into Opens/Semi-Opens/Closed/Bastards/etc so that people who like different types can try them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
bolded part: very agree

mafia team really suffers loads when a member or two is not pulling their own weights :<

Yes, I think the sheer post content is really hurting mafia, it's so hard to keep up your weight when post density is so high. We had the balance right in season 2 splitting both games apiece 1 mafia 1 town win, and both going right down to the wire, but just from examination this season has been quite one-sided town wins so far and I'm not sure Danganronpa will defy that trend. I don't think it's much to do with the moderators who have done a fine job, but our community is evolving faster than we can keep a hand on. Obviously that's at least mostly a good thing, but we need to adapt with it.

Karkador

Banned

One person flakes on that, and it gets a lot more strenuous on everyone. MattyG disappeared into the darkness this season without warning.

I'm thinking it might be more useful to try having a more dedicated group of people who are more interested in making and running the games than playing in them. I'm kind of leaning in that direction, although even then, I find it difficult to look over people's games.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm perfectly fine not playing any of S4 - I'll be on full help-duty.

I'm thinking it might be more useful to try having a more dedicated group of people who are more interested in making and running the games than playing in them. I'm kind of leaning in that direction, although even then, I find it difficult to look over people's games.

I wouldn't mind filling this role. I like coming up with this stuff. I think I'm getting a better handle on what works and what doesn't work.
That said, I'll still find a way to play a game here and there :p

Yes, I think the sheer post content is really hurting mafia, it's so hard to keep up your weight when post density is so high. We had the balance right in season 2 splitting both games apiece 1 mafia 1 town win, and both going right down to the wire, but just from examination this season has been quite one-sided town wins so far and I'm not sure Danganronpa will defy that trend.

first gafia ends at 42 pages
star wars at 68, and AC at 71
archer at 87, and cthulhu at 86

... but DR is at 91 and still going? HOW? XD

not quite sure if it's all post density issue :3 and if it is, not sure how to address it. i suggested that maybe game runners should do a 'call out' in game whenever they see someone inflating the post counts with fillers but say, a player like sorian has a natural style of high post count without much filler and im not sure if we should penalise his kind of playstyle either :x

difficult~

also there's the issue with dead threads if the mods playing in whatever game but had helped designed it etc. maybe the dead threads will have to be separate or something

Karkador

Banned
Now, I do agree that there should be people there to mentor game ideas and stuff, but a lot of that initial tutoring work can be consolidated into guides and a role database. That way, people can at least try to design something that isn't a hot mess before someone spends time trying to untangle it.

Ourobolus

Banned
Amount of games
I think we'll still probably have enough people for maybe 3 games next season. Some people will get burnt out, some will be new, I think we'll probably remain roughly the same size for right now. But, let's have at least 4 games queued up just in case.

Moderating for S4
Like I said, I'm happy to simply be a backup for S4 for all games, so I'm fine with that. As for splitting the others, we can do that, but we'll have to have separate dead threads, or make it so that the other moderators cannot join the dead thread until they actually die in the game they are playing in. I can set the thread up and moderate the dead thread if we want to go that route.

Types of Games
We definitely need to do something like this. Maybe not to an extreme, since we don't have the community size to really have a Bastard Mafia Thread versus Semi-Open, but the types of games need to be clarified before the games start and people need to give their intention on the types they are comfortable playing. For instance, one of the games I'm looking over now is like, the definition of role madness.

Post Counts
This is a tough one to quantify because some people just post a lot more than others. CzarTim, Sorian, and Launch are all massive posters, and for the most part I think they produce relatively quality posts - they're just super frequent. Others, like Burbeting, produce infrequent, yet solid posts in the games. I don't really want to specify posting limits, but I think there does need to be someone who comes in and says "Dude, calm the fuck down.

One person flakes on that, and it gets a lot more strenuous on everyone. MattyG disappeared into the darkness this season without warning.

You'll never find anyone who is only interested in hosting, and I wouldn't ask the of anyone.

In any case, the 3 of us are pretty committed to the community, I think. In the unlikely scenario one of us flakes, we would just grab someone else. I think 3 mods and 3 mentors is the best number.

Karkador

Banned
Man, I'm going to get a yellow card half way through day 1 :(

lTetpF7.gif

Man, I'm going to get a yellow card half way through day 1 :(

Also, funny you say this when Ouro just said he would be good with it right above. Out of the 3 mods for this season though, it's easy to see you are the antsiest to play in games too.

Calm down Sorian, we're not actually playing mafia. I don't mind sitting out next game, but I thought that was a good scenario to present.

oh NX mafia is at 81 btw. for a mini-game... with only 15 players.... that's pretty impressive XD almost at Cthulhu and Archer page counts!

^_________^;;;;;;;;;;;

Top Bottom