• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia/Werewolf |OT| A forum game of secrets and treachery - sign up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

cabot

punish yeeny for overuse of emotions.

TOO MUCH EMOTION

#punish #emotion #hashtagthepunishment #emotionalpunishment #unnecessarygambit2015

Karkador

Banned
I also agree that the post counts are getting crazy and it's exhausting to follow a game, but maybe we just need a slow mafia game for old tired people

cabot

I also agree that the post counts are getting crazy and it's exhausting to follow a game, but maybe we just need a slow mafia game for old tired people

this actually sounds pretty great. Just posters being really jaded and cynical but at acceptable post numbers.

Sorian

Banned

Senior citizen mafia set in a nursing home? :D

I could see that flavor getting real dark real fast.

cabot

I think the most difficult thing about high post games is when you remember someone said something, but then you try and find it and it's so difficult. You then either waste a hell of a lot of time combing through posts, or you just give up and do a batsnacks (evidence? fuck evidence)

yeah batsnacks you heard.

I'm sort of in the higher end of activity, so I'm part of the problem. It's difficult.

CzarTim chuckled, "You mean the NX game?"

MVs3ez0.gif

Ourobolus

Banned
punish yeeny for overuse of emotions.

TOO MUCH EMOTION

#punish #emotion #hashtagthepunishment #emotionalpunishment #unnecessarygambit2015

She switched her avatar to Colbert. She's mine now.

Senior citizen mafia set in a nursing home? :D

I could see that flavor getting real dark real fast.

I would make that so, so dark.

You are a Patient with Dementia.

You look at all the people around you, and nobody is recognizable. Your daughter comes in with her husband and son, and you make a fool of yourself trying to make out with the husband, thinking it's your high school boyfriend and the child is the football he liked to kick around. You cry yourself to sleep every night, but are not sure why.

Once per game, you may post the command WHO AM I? in the thread, and the moderator will again tell you, for like the hundredth time, that you are Patricia Barnwell, aligned with the Seniors.

You win when all Nursing Home Staff are eliminated.

*Splinter

She switched her avatar to Colbert. She's mine now.

You look at all the people around you, and nobody is recognizable. Your daughter comes in with her husband and son, and you make a fool of yourself trying to make out with the husband, thinking it's your high school boyfriend and the child is the football he liked to kick around. You cry yourself to sleep every night, but are not sure why.

Once per game, you may post the command WHO AM I? in the thread, and the moderator will again tell you, for like the hundredth time, that you are Patricia Barnwell, aligned with the Seniors.

I wasn't sure if I'd be playing next season, but sign me up for this immediately

Sorian

Banned

If I make it to day 3 or 4 in election mafia, I hope you won't mod kill me when I throw out a random

WHO AM I?

just for fun.

I think the most difficult thing about high post games is when you remember someone said something, but then you try and find it and it's so difficult. You then either waste a hell of a lot of time combing through posts, or you just give up and do a batsnacks (evidence? fuck evidence)

yeah batsnacks you heard.

I'm sort of in the higher end of activity, so I'm part of the problem. It's difficult.

It is a lot easier with the search function. Especially if you can remember the day, or possibly a keyword. You have like the whole night phase to prepare stuff in advance too which can take away some of that burden.

Sorian

Banned
It is a lot easier with the search function. Especially if you can remember the day, or possibly a keyword. You have like the whole night phase to prepare stuff in advance too which can take away some of that burden.

I like to not think about you all when a game is in night phase, I've already had mafia related dreams (I think I had issues sleeping last night because I convinced myself that there was a possibility that NX game would turbo me while I was away).

Fireblend

Banned
I agree the post counts are getting insane. Both catching up and trying to keep up having to produce quality posts at a rate that is unsustainable with my full-time job is a real challenge :p

I'm not sure I'd want to see any sort of "frequent posting punishment system" though; I would just hope that with experience the frequent posters will learn to be more concise and the slower ones will learn to be a little more active as to not depend on the frequent ones. This season saw a lot of new people, including me, and I'd expect the game pace to settle once we've all learnt how all this works.

I didn't think of Archer too much during night phase because of the (however small) chance that I could be dead in the morning. Obsession is a scary thing as well.

There really needs to be some semblance of control in the post counts. NX is crazy long, and I haven't even read it since I left. We can't turn off any new players as well.

cabbeh, what happened to your name?

YNNNY I'm watching your late show and it's very funny!

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I have a few thoughts on how the games have gone but I think I'll save them for the true review thread.

One thing I will say though is I think we need to organize the side "4.5" games a bit better. The way they have been handled in terms of sign ups and conception have made the main thread a bit disjointed at times. I'm not saying we shouldn't have any, but maybe something like a 3 step process such as:

1. Gauge interest.

2. Official game sign up.

3.Game launch.

This really isn't that big of an issue, but it was something that came to mind as the few 3.5 games started to roll out.

Kalor

One thing that I've noticed is that 3 or 4 games going on at once seems like it will be a good amount in the future. Anymore would be a hassle to organize and we don't want to clutter out the Community section with a bunch of Mafia threads.

In terms of post counts, as people have said it is a difficult problem to solve. I've thought about a game where everyone could only post x amount per day but that has a number of flaws.

Ourobolus

Banned
I have a few thoughts on how the games have gone but I think I'll save them for the true review thread.

One thing I will say though is I think we need to organize the side "4.5" games a bit better. The way they have been handled in terms of sign ups and conception have made the main thread a bit disjointed at times. I'm not saying we shouldn't have any, but maybe something like a 3 step process such as:

1. Gauge interest.

2. Official game sign up.

3.Game launch.

This really isn't that big of an issue, but it was something that came to mind as the few 3.5 games started to roll out.

Yeah, I'll admit I rushed my Election sign ups a bit. It's the rum's fault.

Sorian

Banned
I didn't think of Archer too much during night phase because of the (however small) chance that I could be dead in the morning. Obsession is a scary thing as well.

There really needs to be some semblance of control in the post counts. NX is crazy long, and I haven't even read it since I left. We can't turn off any new players as well.

cabbeh, what happened to your name?

YNNNY I'm watching your late show and it's very funny!

I'm reminded of kgtrep's day 2 opener.

Swamped

Banned
One thing that I've noticed is that 3 or 4 games going on at once seems like it will be a good amount in the future. Anymore would be a hassle to organize and we don't want to clutter out the Community section with a bunch of Mafia threads.

In terms of post counts, as people have said it is a difficult problem to solve. I've thought about a game where everyone could only post x amount per day but that has a number of flaws.

I like this idea. I really think we should try out the X number of posts a day thing, I think I brought up this idea before. We could have a small experimental game that does this, and if the idea fails, well, whatever, it was just an experiment anyway. I think it would also increase the quality of the posts, and maybe make it more fair for the Mafia team. Also, you wouldn't be required to hit that max post count allowed, but you can't cross it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree the post counts are getting insane. Both catching up and trying to keep up having to produce quality posts at a rate that is unsustainable with my full-time job is a real challenge :p

I'm not sure I'd want to see any sort of "frequent posting punishment system" though; I would just hope that with experience the frequent posters will learn to be more concise and the slower ones will learn to be a little more active as to not depend on the frequent ones. This season saw a lot of new people, including me, and I'd expect the game pace to settle once we've all learnt how all this works.

I agree it wouldn't be right to punish players; rather, we should make sure the games fit the players. Just a question of design.

CzarTim

One of the things my Animal Crossing game got criticized for (and generally the issue with more special, "designed" games with a strong gimmick) was players having to argue about the moderator's intentions, instead of arguing about player intentions. I don't think it's very fun or fair to have the game pivot on moderator intent, especially when the moderator can't even comment without influencing the game.

A fixed pool of roles can work like Poker. There are 52 cards in a deck, and everybody knows exactly what's in the deck. Even then, there's still plenty of room to bluff and make your hand seem like something it's not.

Although it may seem a little counterintuitive, I think there is a stronger potential to make interesting and effective fake claims when more of the game information is known.

This didn't have to do with roles, but the map though. When there's a non-normal game mechanic in mafia, that's when people need to figure out the design. Having to figure out if the roles make sense in this setup is a large part of the fun to me in closed set-ups and I'd probably stop playing if every game was just pulling from the same list. Even if that list is large. I personally love creative roles. It's the non-normal mechanics I don't really like.

I'll probably talk about this more in the review thread, but I think Season 3's games lacked a sort of simplicity to their design that made them hard to parse. Like there were a lot of ideas packed into each game and not all of them consistent with each other. I feel like games should be designed around a central theme and expanded from there. Death is on the Line was "no cop" and SW was "two Armorers." There were no mechanics to worry about, just the roles. That's when mafia is fun to me.

Makai

This didn't have to do with roles, but the map though. When there's a non-normal game mechanic in mafia, that's when people need to figure out the design. Having to figure out if the roles make sense in this setup is a large part of the fun to me in closed set-ups and I'd probably stop playing if every game was just pulling from the same list. Even if that list is large. I personally love creative roles. It's the non-normal mechanics I don't really like.

I'll probably talk about this more in the review thread, but I think Season 3's games lacked a sort of simplicity to their design that made them hard to parse. Like there were a lot of ideas packed into each game and not all of them consistent with each other. I feel like games should be designed around a central theme and expanded from there. Death is on the Line was "no cop" and SW was "two Armorers." There were no mechanics to worry about, just the roles. That's when mafia is fun to me.
Same here. I also enjoy non-normal mechanics, but it would probably be good for those to be publicly explained from the start.

I'm already hard at work on my character for the next game. Since this will be my first time not being a replacement, I have a question: will we be able to specifically sign up for one of the Season 4 games or will we randomly be sorted into games based on the number of signups and showrunners?

Sorian

Banned
I'm already hard at work on my character for the next game. Since this will be my first time not being a replacement, I have a question: will we be able to specifically sign up for one of the Season 4 games or will we randomly be sorted into games based on the number of signups and showrunners?

Randomly sorted.

Edit: Channel your inner valley girl regardless.

If there's anything I've learned from hosting is that I hate gimmicks. It really does shift the focus of conversation to game design rather than behavior, which is what mafia is supposed to be out. I think the games turned out fine, but in certain respects, they could have gone more smoothly without the extra mechanics. If I ever host another game, the most I'll do is play around with power roles. No more extra shenanigans.

Personally, I loved all the shit Zatoth and Terrabyte packed into the Cthulhu game. It was exhilarating to wait for the start of a day, not knowing what the fuck to expect. It was a lot of fun trying to unpack the mechanics, too. But I have a brain wired toward game design, so I know it's not for everyone.

If we're able to indicate a preference next season, I'm opting out of the most vanilla game.

Karkador

Banned

People are doing it in mapless NX, too. "Normal" NX. Lololol

If there's anything I've learned from hosting is that I hate gimmicks. It really does shift the focus of conversation to game design rather than behavior, which is what mafia is supposed to be out. I think the games turned out fine, but in certain respects, they could have gone more smoothly without the extra mechanics. If I ever host another game, the most I'll do is play around with power roles. No more extra shenanigans.

It's probably late enough to say this now without ruining the ongoing game, but I really think that if you had been more clear and upfront about how the gimmick worked, everybody (including yourself) would be less frustrated with it.

I think the game has been very interesting because of it, but perhaps too swingy because the roles were not powered down enough to compensate for all the extra information afforded by the gimmick.

RetroMG

Night Vale is going to be pretty vanilla. There will be a few twists, but there isn't a central game mechanic to worry about. (I considered one that would involve certain powers only being able to move at certain parts of the day phase rather than at night, but discarded it.)

It is going to have a ton of flavor, though.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
The truth of the matter is that at some point or another, game design will be the focal point of the conversation in a closed set up. It comes with the territory.

That being said, I do think that if people want to experiment with non traditional game mechanics, they should make sure it fits in line with the traditional gameplay of mafia. If the questioning of the game mechanics becomes all that the town talks about, then it probably didn't fit as well as was hoped.

Ourobolus

Banned
In theory I don't mind gimmicks, provided they have
1) clear instructions on how they operate
2) aren't too complex

Regular mafia is perfectly fine as well (hell, I'm hosting one right now), but I think some gimmicks can be fine here and there.

CzarTim

I think you are missing my point because there is a huge difference between figuring how roles fit together and how non-normal mechanics work. One involves player interaction, the other was decided before the game started.

Sorian

Banned

I mean, it's like Terrabyte just said, closed set ups will always have role discussion happening. In a closed set-up, you are trying to figure out the roles as well as the alignment of players.

Karkador

Banned
I think you are missing my point because there is a huge difference between figuring how roles fit together and how non-normal mechanics work. One involves player interaction, the other was decided before the game started.

I disagree that the difference is that huge. You put roles into the game with the intention that they will interact in some way. Either way, something is going in by design, and people will speculate what the moderator intended, whether it's secretly that time is moving backwards, or that the mod gave Mafia the swingy Town role.

In either case (role, or rule gimmick), it has to be designed to be fluid and flexible to the whims of whatever your human subjects will think of doing.

In all actuality, the AC Mafia gimmick was not some huge departure. I made the game have adjacency like live games, and filled the game with a lot of typical "players sitting next to you" roles. The huge controversy was binding a mafia player to a town player like lovers, which could have easily been achieved solely through role fuckery anyhow.

This season's games have been a lot weirder, and maybe the most successful one was Archer, because it put in one unusual concept (the missions), tried to make it as transparent as possible, and make the roles work around that one simple gimmick.

CzarTim

For the record, I thought AC's mechanic was ok, and Archer was fine. I'm just stating the personal preference that, if given a choice, I'd rather be in a game without a mechanic than with one. At the same time I prefer closed set-ups over open set-ups. It's just a preference. If we are continuing with the randomly assigned season plan, I think we should at least consider people's preferences before asking them to devote 2+ months to a game.

Ourobolus

Banned
We almost need a spreadsheet to keep track of preferences:

Code:
Name		Closed		Open	Semi-Open	Bastard		Gimmick		Do You Like Me?
=======================================================================================================
Ourobolus	Yes		Yes	Yes		No		Yes		Yes/No

Sorian

Banned
I disagree that the difference is that huge. You put roles into the game with the intention that they will interact in some way. Either way, something is going in by design, and people will speculate what the moderator intended, whether it's secretly that time is moving backwards, or that the mod gave Mafia the swingy Town role.

In either case (role, or rule gimmick), it has to be designed to be fluid and flexible to the whims of whatever your human subjects will think of doing.

In all actuality, the AC Mafia gimmick was not some huge departure. I made the game have adjacency like live games, and filled the game with a lot of typical "players sitting next to you" roles. The huge controversy was binding a mafia player to a town player like lovers, which could have easily been achieved solely through role fuckery anyhow.

This season's games have been a lot weirder, and maybe the most successful one was Archer, because it put in one unusual concept (the missions), tried to make it as transparent as possible, and make the roles work around that one simple gimmick.

Completely ignoring DR for now because I don't want to spoil anything there. Was Cthulhu really that weird of a game? After having seen both Archer and Cthulhu to completion, I would contend that Cthulhu was the most vanilla game, the most that was weird was that there was a power role that roved randomly from player to player after each night phase. Or is it that odd that it was a game designed around 3 factions instead of 2?

Edit: Can someone definite closed, open and semi-open and bastard for me?

Top Bottom