• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia/Werewolf |OT| A forum game of secrets and treachery - sign up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Palmer_v1

The only thing I can see being an issue would be the voting on games step. If most of us are doing closed set ups, then it would just boil down into voting for flavor and game moderator.

Well to use Archer as an example, Ouro could have said he was going to have a fairly standard game, themed around Archer, with an additional Mission mechanic that would segregate a small group of players each night. That's all the information I need.

Palmer_v1

What are your thoughts on traditional roles with untraditional names?

You're not talking to me, but I have to say I'm not a fan of that because it favors fluff knowledge and makes fake claims much more difficult. I kinda forgot to mention it previously, but seeing that you gave the Mafia pre-made fake claims was rather annoying.

Edit:

I forgot I can edit in here but whatever!

Karkador

Banned
Well to use Archer as an example, Ouro could have said he was going to have a fairly standard game, themed around Archer, with an additional Mission mechanic that would segregate a small group of players each night. That's all the information I need.

Until the game pulls an MGS2 on you

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You're not talking to me, but I have to say I'm not a fan of that because it favors fluff knowledge and makes fake claims much more difficult. I kinda forgot to mention it previously, but seeing that you gave the Mafia pre-made fake claims was rather annoying

Pre-made fake claims are almost necessary for themed games where every single player has a unique identity (i.e., there is no generic "Red Shirt"/"Ordinary Town").

That said, I hope none of the game-runners are getting down. The games all went well and it's all valuable experience. You're now officially wizened old veterans who get to play Make a Man Out Of You on loop to the next generation of deluded fools aspiring game-runners.

El Topo

You're not talking to me, but I have to say I'm not a fan of that because it favors fluff knowledge and makes fake claims much more difficult. I kinda forgot to mention it previously, but seeing that you gave the Mafia pre-made fake claims was rather annoying.

In case of Archer though there is a fairly solid Wiki that allowed me to prepare fake role claims, such as Popeye, the Pimp Loan Shark Legitimate Business Owner. I think it makes things more interesting, but obviously only if everyone has an easy way to obtain information.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
We have no problem with child murder in this community.

EDIT: That should probably be the tagline for the upcoming review thread.

Ourobolus

Banned

Edit:

I forgot I can edit in here but whatever!

I stole that directly from Crab's guide.

Palmer_v1

Pre-made fake claims are almost necessary for themed games where every single player has a unique identity (i.e., there is no generic "Red Shirt"/"Ordinary Town").

That wasn't the case in Archer, though. Mafia knew the generic role was Ordinary Drone.

That's the epitome of a bastard game.

Day 1, You're Solid Snake
Day 2, You're some weird naked guy you've never seen before.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That wasn't the case in Archer, though. Mafia knew the generic role was Ordinary Drone.

Even then, it's still sometimes needed. Suppose that you're a mafia in the Archer game. You want to claim a role rather than Ordinary Drone. You can't claim, say, Archer - there's obviously going to be an Archer role in an Archer game. Someone will counter-claim, and even if you persuade people to lynch them, you'll follow, so it's at best a 1-1 trade-off, which is never good. To avoid this, you can claim some really obscure Archer character so that definitely nobody will counterclaim - but everyone else can figure this logic chain out too, so super obscure claims like Babou the Ocelot will almost definitely be lynched. As such, there are almost no 'safe' role-claims other than Ordinary Drone, which does a lot of damage to mafia's ability to play - what happens if you're seen by a Watcher as mafia, for example?

I think Ouru was right to put in pre-fab fake claims, in the context of the Archer game.

Fireblend

Banned
Count me in for crazy role games. I haven't lasted much in the games I've played so far but I at least get to have some fun as an agent of chaos. I can see the appeal for more grounded level-headed games for people who care about game balance or winning, but I don't think we've seen a game broken to the point where its unwinnable for either town or mafia either, so I don't see it as such a big deal.

The good thing is that apparently we are a growing community, so if there's going to be multiple games and we're going to be submitting which games we want to be a part of, people who dislike strongly-themed games can just avoid them.

Actually, now that I think about it it might be because I end up being an spectator for most of the games' duration that I like the crazy reveals and twists
KuGsj.gif

RetroMG

I really want to do this now: Start a game, get abought halfway through, and then without warning, post something like:

"You pull off your VR headset. 'The record ends there.' says a gruff voice. Now you know what happened fifteen years ago. It's time to finish the story."

New Role PMs go out, Gafia explodes in rage.

Burbeting

Banned
That's the epitome of a bastard game.

Day 1, You're Solid Snake
Day 2, You're some weird naked guy you've never seen before.

I've had that role in role madness-game. It was awful... well to put it in MGS terms:

1. Get to know you are solid snake
2. Town tries to kill you D1
3. Claim Solid Snake
4. Town kills someone else... Who actually was the real Solid Snake
5. Receive info during the night that you were actually the weird naked guy.
6. Try to explain next morning to the town.
7. Receive everyone's vote except yourself's.

Basically, I still have nightmares from that game :p.

Sorian

Banned
I really want to do this now: Start a game, get abought halfway through, and then without warning, post something like:

"You pull off your VR headset. 'The record ends there.' says a gruff voice. Now you know what happened fifteen years ago. It's time to finish the story."

New Role PMs go out, Gafia explodes in rage.

I'd play this game.

this is just a running joke now, isn't it

Uorubulos

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Somehow I knew I'd get lynched over something stupid like this. I'd really hoped to make it to the end for my first game.

Somehow I knew I'd get lynched over something stupid like this. I'd really hoped to make it to the end for my first game.

That's kind of illusionary. Only 4 or so people on average make it. That's a pretty high bar to set. You made it further than some more experienced players ever did :p

Sawneeks

Banned
That said, I hope none of the game-runners are getting down. The games all went well and it's all valuable experience. You're now officially wizened old veterans who get to play Make a Man Out Of You on loop to the next generation of deluded fools aspiring game-runners.

I agree! While Dangananan still isn't done yet I've had a blast with it from the get-go even with its' ups and downs. I will post with my full thoughts in the review thread but this game has been and incredibly fun experience and I can't wait to see what other crazy shenanigans happen in the next Season.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I want dead thread link too thx Ourobolus :).

Also, when will the game arrive when I survive to at least day 3? This is a three-game-long strike now.

could be worse, you could be Tucah

That's kind of illusionary. Only 4 or so people on average make it. That's a pretty high bar to set. You made it further than some more experienced players ever did :p

Yeah, I'm super surprised that I managed to survive my first game. Thought for sure I was a goner on Day 5 when Droplet mounted her offensive.

*Splinter

I agree! While Dangananan still isn't done yet I've had a blast with it from the get-go even with its' ups and downs. I will post with my full thoughts in the review thread but this game has been and incredibly fun experience and I can't wait to see what other crazy shenanigans happen in the next Season.
I want to second this, particularly because I've been complaining (a lot) since I died. I had a lot of fun, thanks Launch for running this.

Top Bottom