• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007: Assignment Thread 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

guess

Theme: dawn/sunrise/sunset/dusk

Submissions are due by Thursday, May 10th at 11:59 PM CDT.

Voting begins on Friday, May 11th and ends on Saturday (night), May 12th.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. If there is a tie, the number of first choice votes will be the tiebreaker. Criticism/comments encouraged. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote.

4) The “winner” should come up with a new theme/time period.

5) have fun!

mrkgoo

:)
Edit: A classic - I'm sure there will be people who will submit something outside of the box (unlike me :p). The challenge will be to make your image stand out. It's not as limiting as you'd think - try some macro at sunset or something ;).

At the very least, it's my favourite time to shoot things - and maybe this assignment will make some new fans!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wahoo!

I love taking pictures at sunset/sunrise/dusk/etc...!

I'm worried about mrkgoo, though... he's the master at these types of things.

mr.beers

panoramasmallxu9.jpg

I am with out camera...and so my picture wont be within the guidelines, can I post it anyways? (Dont want to compete, just want to share)

LunaClover, any assignment-related photos that are not your actual submission (alternates, photos taken before the assignment start date) should be posted in the regular photography thread, just mention that it would have been your assignment entry if not for the date. Keeping non-submission photos out of this thread makes it easier for the folks who collate all the photos before voting.

fart said:
anyone live in yosemite?
No, but whenever I look through these photography threads I always get the feeling that everyone else lives in far more interesting places than I do. :lol
i still don't have a tripod, so i'm probably out of this one.
As long as you can set your camera to do the proper slow expsoure in a low light situation, you can always put your camera on a rock or the roof of your car or whatever, and then set the timer and trip the shutter for a "hands-free" sharp exposure.

fart

Savant
this is what i've been doing, but it limits your framing opportunities pretty heavily so i doubt i'll bother taking any special trips out to the good spots this week.

AirBrian

Lucky Forward said:
No, but whenever I look through these photography threads I always get the feeling that everyone else lives in far more interesting places than I do. :lol
You and me both. :)

mrkgoo

fart said:
this is what i've been doing, but it limits your framing opportunities pretty heavily so i doubt i'll bother taking any special trips out to the good spots this week.

Ah...but you can stretch the interpretation - take some portraits or a macro in the dawn/dusk sun. It doesn't have to be a long andscape. I'm sure people will appreciate the originality.

mrkgoo, what will Assignment 11's theme be? :)

Jeebus - I'm not sure I can take the pressure and performance anxiety.

fart

Savant
mrkgoo said:
Ah...but you can stretch the interpretation - take some portraits or a macro in the dawn/dusk sun. It doesn't have to be a long andscape. I'm sure people will appreciate the originality.
hah! you say that like it would be easier.

that said i might throw in a joke shot for kicks.

fart

Savant
ok so i lied. sunset at scripps^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

changing my answer

DSC_4350.jpg

Nikon D40, 18-55 @ 20mm
1/160s - F/10
ISO 800
RAW processed, crop/resize in cap NX

yonder

Hello photographers of GAF. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just ask here if that's OK. I know almost nothing about photography but I really enjoy taking pictures (although they turn out crappy). Is there any good site that can teach me some techniques and give me some tips on photography? The basics, you know.

Beautiful pics so far, btw. I'm jealous.

mrkgoo

Yonn said:
Hello photographers of GAF. I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just ask here if that's OK. I know almost nothing about photography but I really enjoy taking pictures (although they turn out crappy). Is there any good site that can teach me some techniques and give me some tips on photography? The basics, you know.

Beautiful pics so far, btw. I'm jealous.

There's a lot of other photography threads, some which deal with this very issue. This one is the assignement thread. But while you're here, I quite like are:

http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/index.html
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/
Technical:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

But for the mnost part, understand the basics of what exposure is, and from there you can just play! Develop your 'eye' for composition by practicing, criticising, and looking at thers...participate here! This is a fairly straightforward assignment this week. So hop to it! feel free to ask questions, but try to keep this thread assignment only. There's a major equipment thread going on, and a huge Photography thread for posting examples (and people can ask questions there I think).

Enjoy!

yonder

mrkgoo said:
There's a lot of other photography threads, some which deal with this very issue. This one is the assignement thread. But while you're here, I quite like are:

http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/index.html
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/
Technical:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

But for the mnost part, understand the basics of what exposure is, and from there you can just play! Develop your 'eye' for composition by practicing, criticising, and looking at thers...participate here! This is a fairly straightforward assignment this week. So hop to it! feel free to ask questions, but try to keep this thread assignment only. There's a major equipment thread going on, and a huge Photography thread for posting examples (and people can ask questions there I think).

Enjoy!
Thanks, will do! :)

AirBrian

Well, I'm not going to have much time the rest of the week, so this will have to make do.

GAF-10.jpg

Camera Model: Nikon D70
Flash Mode: No Flash
Focal Length: 24 mm
F-Number: F/8
Exposure Time: 1/250 sec.
Exposure Comensation: +0.3 step

guess

First time I have tried taking pictures of airplanes. It's not easy at all.

gaf6-1.jpg

last edit. decided this was my favorite

canon sd700

thatbox

Banned
guess, the vapor trail in the top left really elevates that photo, but I can't quite put my finger on a technical explanation for why!

mrkgoo

imastalker co. said:
Camera: Canon 400D
Exposure: 32 sec
Aperture: f/10
Focal Length: 38 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Nice, I was wondering when somoenoe was going to do something like this :). I love how it's also within one of your 'specialties' (night photos).

RSZ_0351ps.jpg

Canon 20D, EF-S 17-85 at 76mm, ISO 100, 1/8 sec, f8, Cokin blue/yellow polarizer.

edit: a late change of entry, something a little more abstract.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
490064193_6fa939a563.jpg

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

I had plans to go out early in the morning for some sunrise photos, but then I was out with my girlfriend for a stroll and it turned out to be a great idea. I got some shots that I was really happy with, this being my favorite of them all. I was originally going to post a landscape shot, but in the end I like this better, it's a little less cliche!

This was one of my favorite assignment threads to shoot for, I hope you guys all had as much fun as I did!

snacknuts

we all knew her
I took this picture in Cancun a couple years ago. I am not trying to win anything, it just fits in with the theme.

4930209_b065991f92_o.jpg

Camera: Canon SD100
Other technical mumbo jumbo: ???

thatbox

Banned
zesty, would you mind moving your Cancun photo to the general photo thread? We try to keep this thread for submissions only - it just makes things easier. You're definitely encouraged to get out and take another picture before the deadline, though - the more the merrier!

Vexidus

Took lots of pictures over the last couple evenings, here's the one I decided to go with:

Vexidus-Gaf-Assignment-10b.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Exposure: 1/3 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.80 mm

thatbox

Banned
Dice said:
No entry from me because I just found this and will be busy durring sunset tomorrow.
Wake up at 6AM you lazy bastard :lol

I headed out to the levee and spillway tonight, but not only did I miss the light by half an hour but I also forgot my memory cards.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ok boys I gotta run but I managed to grab a couple minutes for an entry. Here's a quickie from my lawn:

dusk.jpg

thatbox

Banned

This was harder than I thought, because the time window is so tiny. Definitely should have gotten out there earlier, because I found a better place to shoot after the sun set!

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Focal length: 18 mm
Exposure time: 1/2000 second
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop and resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I really wasn't expecting this photo to be my entry. This was an attempt to see if I could get the tree to "color" the body of the sculpture while the sun lit up one of the glass orbs in the wings. I couldn't, but it was for the best, because with the sun behind the orb, I lost all the sun flare I like.

P.S. #1: Here's a version of my Assignment #9 entry redone so as not to be so freaking dark. Comments welcome on it as well.

P.S. #2: The "Random Trivia" section of the results has been just that, totally random stuff I thought of while compiling the results. To help me avoid writer's block, if you have any interesting anecdotes about your submission, PM me. Thanks.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Hopefully the results aren't organized too soon. I need a bit of time to upload 'em to my webspace and post one. It's coming, I swears.

Edit: Woo, quicker than expected.

fireabove.jpg

guess

Here are the entries:

mr.beers said:

otthon said:
I have to pop my photography cherry sometime. Go easy.
gaf10.jpg

fart said:
ok so i lied. sunset at scripps^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
changing my answer
DSC_4350.jpg

Nikon D40, 18-55 @ 20mm
1/160s - F/10
ISO 800
RAW processed, crop/resize in cap NX

AirBrian said:
Well, I'm not going to have much time the rest of the week, so this will have to make do.
GAF-10.jpg

Camera Model: Nikon D70
Flash Mode: No Flash
Focal Length: 24 mm
F-Number: F/8
Exposure Time: 1/250 sec.
Exposure Comensation: +0.3 step

guess said:
First time I have tried taking pictures of airplanes. It's not easy at all.
gaf6-1.jpg

last edit. decided this was my favorite
canon sd700

imastalker co. said:
489602211_75da9277a7_o.jpg

Camera: Canon 400D
Exposure: 32 sec
Aperture: f/10
Focal Length: 38 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Lucky Forward said:
RSZ_0351ps.jpg

Canon 20D, EF-S 17-85 at 76mm, ISO 100, 1/8 sec, f8, Cokin blue/yellow polarizer.
edit: a late change of entry, something a little more abstract.

pixelated said:
sunsetblinds.jpg

DSC-H2, ISO-80, 1/250, F/3.5

aidan said:
490064193_6fa939a563.jpg

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
I had plans to go out early in the morning for some sunrise photos, but then I was out with my girlfriend for a stroll and it turned out to be a great idea. I got some shots that I was really happy with, this being my favorite of them all. I was originally going to post a landscape shot, but in the end I like this better, it's a little less cliche!
This was one of my favorite assignment threads to shoot for, I hope you guys all had as much fun as I did!

SonnyBoy said:

aparisi2274 said:

Vexidus said:
Took lots of pictures over the last couple evenings, here's the one I decided to go with:
Vexidus-Gaf-Assignment-10b.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Exposure: 1/3 sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.80 mm

el jacko said:
491974144_743fdf31cf_o.jpg

1/4s, f2.8, 17mm, iso200, edited in iPhoto

Dice said:
Ok boys I gotta run but I managed to grab a couple minutes for an entry. Here's a quickie from my lawn:
dusk.jpg

Joates said:
Joates' entry:
493113115_c0137e3d08_o.jpg

thatbox said:

This was harder than I thought, because the time window is so tiny. Definitely should have gotten out there earlier, because I found a better place to shoot after the sun set!

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Focal length: 18 mm
Exposure time: 1/2000 second
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop and resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I really wasn't expecting this photo to be my entry. This was an attempt to see if I could get the tree to "color" the body of the sculpture while the sun lit up one of the glass orbs in the wings. I couldn't, but it was for the best, because with the sun behind the orb, I lost all the sun flare I like.
P.S. #1: Here's a version of my Assignment #9 entry redone so as not to be so freaking dark. Comments welcome on it as well.
P.S. #2: The "Random Trivia" section of the results has been just that, totally random stuff I thought of while compiling the results. To help me avoid writer's block, if you have any interesting anecdotes about your submission, PM me. Thanks.

SnakeXs said:
Hopefully the results aren't organized too soon. I need a bit of time to upload 'em to my webspace and post one. It's coming, I swears.
Edit: Woo, quicker than expected.
fireabove.jpg

-----------------

aidan said:
I'm getting worried! mrkgoo hasn't posted his submission yet!

If mrkgoo want to submit a late entry, I don't care. Depends on if everyone else thinks it is ok.

mrkgoo

Sorry, I've been busy at work - I did take a lot of pictures (even some this morning). It's hard to chooose, just got here...maybe too late. I took some pictures this morning, and was rushing around at work trying to get a chance at viewing my images, but everytime I started, I had to go do actual work, and didn't get around to until late. Haven't thought much about which one, there were a bunch of earlier ones, but thought I'd just show a different one - my submission, if people allow it (and if you don't just don't vote for it!):

img7176qs7.jpg

efs-17-55IS, 55mm, f4.0, 1/25s, iso100.

Apologies, and thanks.

Eric WK

So many fantastic entries this time. It was very tough choosing my two favorite photos, but I think these two stand above the rest for me.

1st: aidan

It's so hard to pinpoint what I love about this. I guess it's primarily the composition, but I don't know. I just adore this photo.

2nd: el jacko

This submission reminds me a lot of a still from the film Russian Ark, which may be why I enjoy it so much. It's just a wonderful capture of grace with excellent use of the assignment's theme.

(Here's a link to the still, if anyone's interested: http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1051316050411_2003/04/26/e-russ,0.jpg)

fart

Savant
1st: phantomile

took a bit of squinting but i really like this composition. i think you did a good job challenging the cliche

2nd: mrkgoo

i almost wish you'd cropped this a tiny bit more tightly vertically to get rid of the break in the clouds in the upper right. still, awesome. it looks like the four horsemen are going to come bursting through the cloud cover. ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom