• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squirrel Killer said:
Lucky's entry is a good example, 800px on the long edge. I usually go a bit smaller (647px on the long edge), but that's more to hide the suck in my pictures than anything else.

I use GIMP, so I don't know much about the specific "Save for web" option, but I remember someone's entry in the Play assignment looked like ass due to "Save for web" going crazy on the jpg compression, and it looked a lot better when he just saved it normally. In GIMP, I usually use around a 90-95% compression rate and try to keep the file size around 100kb.

That might've been me - I remember being half asleep while using the Save For Web option and I might've hit a wrong switch somewhere along the line. At any rate, Save For Web comes with several "Quality" options that affect the degree of compression. I don't really know what it means in technical detail, but I find that the "Highest" setting preserves the best amount of detail.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
6ib0g7.jpg

Fast shutter speed + smallish aperture + flash = black background.

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/60 second
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, adjust levels, mono via channel mixer, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I was stumped for an idea until last night while I was uploading a massive set of photos of my kids for my family. I remembered a shot I tried to get with my son's hand in his grandfather's hand right after he was born. Unfortunately, I was an even worse shooter then than I am now and it totally didn't work. Since the grandfather is snowbirding in Florida, this is my wife holding my ten month old son's hand. Shot in my kitchen, not particularly dark, with a single halogen work light (I really do need to get a flash already) camera right. All I needed was a little level adjustment to totally blacken the background.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
2241267128_81af899574.jpg

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

Skuld

eagerly awaiting an invasion of thick Hispanic cock across his border
Wow, there are some EXCELLENT takes on the theme this round. I don't think I'll be able to choose, come voting time.

And that time would be about now. Someday I'm gonna take the initiative and compile the pictures. >.> But since I'm working this late on a Sunday, that day is not gonna be today.

guess

ScientificNinja said:
I don't even know what time it is in the US - it's already an hour to going-home time on Monday afternoon for me :D

lucky.

I don't want to go to sleep because I'm not ready for Monday :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, it seems to be about time, but I'm in no hurry to collate entries. There was a lot of stuff going on this weekend so I have a feeling there would be a few more entries trickling in.

I think sp0rsk mentioned he was planning on entering, too.

Gotta say, though, I like a lot of the entries in this round. I think the subject matter for joshcw's and guess' pics are quite interesting. Nice work, everyone!

aidan

Rentahamster said:
I think sp0rsk mentioned he was planning on entering, too.

Bastard's probably too busy playing Smash Bros. for the 1up Show....

:D

Hmmm I'm not sure how I'm gonna vote yet, interesting entries all round.

Rentahamster said:
Make sure that you are saving your picture in the sRGB colorspace.

Yeah that was my problem, I hadn't converted from Adobe RGB to sRGB. Duh!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SealSqueal said:
Yeah that was my problem, I hadn't converted from Adobe RGB to sRGB. Duh!
Ah, I figured as much. Your symptoms were indicative of a colorspace malfunction. Glad to see it sorted out.

aidan

Lucky Forward said:
RSZ_0980ps.jpg

Canon PowerShot G7, ISO 80, 9.0mm, f/8.0, 1/40 sec.

LRS said:

AirBrian said:

hey_monkey said:
Running low on inspiration, time, and energy this week, and then I looked down on my desk and thought, what the hell.

2238546926_67dd55f818_o.jpg

For larger version and infos, see here.

SealSqueal said:
2238892454_2f9ed02ff3.jpg

F11, 1/100.

For larger photo: Flickr

thatbox said:

Camera: Konica Minolta MAXXUM 5D
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Focal Length: 18 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

Some guys I talk to on IRC have been playing with ultra wide angle lenses recently, and there's a sale on the Sony 11-18mm at Best Buy (Minolta mount, $400 that I can't spare) right now, so I wanted to do something wide and profane, but the widest I can get is 18mm (27mm with my 1.5x crop) with my kit lens.

This is my first entry in ten threads or so, and I really missed them!

Edit: It has slightly more contrast (actual blacks) if you're using a browser like Safari that obeys embedded color profile information, but I'm just getting a hang of stuff like that so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

The story behind these shoes is as follows: Back in high school, I played on the varsity tennis team. I was on our #2 doubles team and was our #5 singles guy. When we went to the state tournament, our #1 singles guy (also on the #1 doubles team) had a problem with his shoes, and needed some ASAP to play in his match against the best school in the state's number one singles guy (this is Rummel vs. Jesuit, for any NOLA people). I let him use mine, the white Adidas pair, in his match, and this was all four or so years ago. Well, my mom went back to work a year ago, and wound up working with this guy's dad. When this guy, Kevin, found out, he sent me a pair of his school's (LSU) varsity tennis team's shoes, the black Nikes. He's a good kid!

giga said:

OnkelC said:

mrkgoo said:

ScientificNinja said:
DSC_1627a.jpg

I did a B&W version which shows off a little more contrast in the literal sense, but I ended up feeling that would detract from my original idea. Anyway... this is my niece's hand, who I don't feel bad for taking advantage of for this picture considering she shat in my hand a few hours earlier.

Roi said:
2238365179_3511167c70.jpg

Yeah, it's taken during the assignment period. ;)

Forsete said:

rampur said:
2mecsc6.jpg

just a beginner..be nice!

joshschw said:

Rentahamster said:
6ib0g7.jpg

Fast shutter speed + smallish aperture + flash = black background.

Squirrel Killer said:

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.8
Focal length: 50 mm
Exposure time: 1/60 second
ISO: 100
Post Processing: Crop, adjust levels, mono via channel mixer, unsharp mask, resize in GIMP.
What I was smoking: I was stumped for an idea until last night while I was uploading a massive set of photos of my kids for my family. I remembered a shot I tried to get with my son's hand in his grandfather's hand right after he was born. Unfortunately, I was an even worse shooter then than I am now and it totally didn't work. Since the grandfather is snowbirding in Florida, this is my wife holding my ten month old son's hand. Shot in my kitchen, not particularly dark, with a single halogen work light (I really do need to get a flash already) camera right. All I needed was a little level adjustment to totally blacken the background.

guess said:
Story: The building behind the church is the former Headquarters of Enron.

jesus_saves383.jpg

aidan said:
2241267128_81af899574.jpg

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 50
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV

Tf53 said:
A quickie, but at least it's something.

2241882276_ec13880035_o.jpg

[subliminalmessage]*coughvoteforaidancough*[/subliminalmessage]

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So many great shots, this has been the highest quality assignment for quite some time IMHO.

It was/is really difficult to pick a winner for me, because it's borderline unfair for the other contributors.

Anyway,

Winner: guess (shot looks irreal)
Runner-up: hey_monkey (funny, I use a similar combo :lol )

Again, great shots folks, I liked all of them.

mrkgoo

First choice:hey_monkey
Runner up:scientific ninja

Comments maybe later. Well done people, another really tough one to choose favourites!

First: Airbrian, I find it very soothing & elegant. I love the texture of the stones and the (I think) small rock on top of the wall.
Second: guess, cyberpunk, blade runner, dystopia, fucking scary.

I loved every single photo, some better than others, but great entries altogether.

Roi

1-thatbox: Good idea, very well executed. The photo is technically also ok.
2-OnkelC: Looks wonderful. You must edit the left corner again though ;).

Ditto on the super extreme hardness of this week's selection.

first: ScientificNinja -- maybe it's my hormones speaking here, but that picture completely had me at first glance. And I must say I like the warmth of the color version slightly better than Squirrel Killer's black and white, though both are beautiful.

second: guess: seconded on the comments already given on this. There's so much captured here and the "contrast" works on so many levels.

honorable mentions: ohgodcanisayeveryone? I guess most of all, I'd choose Lucky Forward and thatbox, but it's really hard to pluck out any of these... you guys are amazing.

OnkelC: combo of champions, amirite? :lol

thatbox

Banned
1st: LRS - Gorgeous colors and shades, but it's not quite level and that's driving me crazy. It made it really hard for me to decide the order to put my favorites in, but in the end the color won me over.

2nd: Tf53 - Well composed and minimalistic, this is exactly the topic as efficiently as possible, which I think is really neat.

Runners-up:

SealSqueal - Beautiful landscape shot!

giga - A very technically competent shot that would be perfect in Xbox 360 promotional material.

Lucky Forward - Hilarious!

Wow - every entry is so good this time, so picking winners is so hard...

First: Guess. Stylistically awesome. I don't know if you intended to create a Bladerunner-esque look, but given the lighting of the background etc, it seems as though you took that picture at the only time of day that would've been appropriate for it. This kind of speaks to me in the same way as an image of a flower breaking through the concrete... or something like that.
Runner Up: Joshschw. I know what you've done, I have nothing but admiration for all the different ways you've worked "contrast" into this, but I can't put it into words because I wouldn't even know where to begin taking a shot like this.

Other Comments:
Lucky Forward: very amusing :D

LRS: I like the abstract nature of this picture, but for the same reason it bothered me that the image was partially obscured... or at least I didn't know what I was looking at.

AirBrian: I try taking pictures like this all the time, and they all look like ass. I love the texture you've captured in the brickwork.

hey_monkey: This picture speaks to me on so many levels because (a) I have to work with a lot of product photography, so I know how hard it is to get them all clean and dust/smudge-free; (b) I work with both companies; and (c) I hate them both passionately, yet I can't seem to get by without their products.

SealSqueal: Beautiful. Did you have to do much colour correction on it?

thatbox: this is verging on too much information (like someone else's picture in the Play assignment), but it's a playful idea. Personally I think the checkered pattern of the tiling would make this ideal for a black and white.

giga: the depth of field is beautiful and the colours on the buttons really stand out.

OnkelC: Hahah (you missed the corner)

mrkgoo: very abstract, which I admire; but because I know what I'm looking at, I would've liked the focus to be sharper on the Wii.

Roi: W-o-w... such lovely shadows...

Forsete: Gorgeous - the edges look razor sharp throughout.

Rampur: I'm not really sure what you've photographed here... the door handle (I'm assuming that's what it is) looks great, but all of my attention is being drawn to the out-of-focus section on the left, isn't so great.

Rentahamster: that's a neat trick :D

Squirrel Killer: I'm so conflicted on this one, because everything I like about this photo is the reason I chose to keep mine in colour.

aidan: I'd never have guessed all those textures would come out so well in b&w.

Tf53: Alright. I'm going to have a guess. Is it a spoon?

hey_monkey said:
ScientificNinja -- maybe it's my hormones speaking here, but that picture completely had me at first glance. And I must say I like the warmth of the color version slightly better than Squirrel Killer's black and white, though both are beautiful.

Thanks ^_^

AirBrian

Holy crap this was a tough vote!

First Choice: SealSqueal - I'm seriously speechless.

Runner-Up: LRS - I love the colors and the different lines. Well done!

Comments:

Lucky Forward: Haha, very nice. As always, your setup shots are fantastic. I also love the little light reflections on the lens.

hey_monkey: I love the concept, but since I'm not a Mac user, I had no idea it was a Mac keyboard until someone pointed it out. Maybe include the little Apple button (Ctrl?)? That said, technically it's a very appealing shot!

thatbox: I like the unique take on the theme. I like the contrast on a couple different levels.

giga: Technically a stunning shot! Great exposure and composition.

OnkelC: Probably my favorite watch shot of yours. Very nice!

mrkgoo: White vs. black, good vs. evil, etc. :p I like it! Good to have you back!

ScientificNinja: Very touching image. I love the skin tones and lighting.

Roi: Oh so close to getting second place. Great job!

Forsete: Very nice...although I might be partial. Great minds think alike! :)

rampur: I have no idea what it is, but I love the abstract-ness. I doesn't feel out of place at all here.

joshschw: Yeah, this is all sorts of awesome. Of course, I love fountain pens and used to use them all the time.

Rentahamster: Very cool. I love how your pictures are always so clean and crisp.

Squirrel Killer: Also very touching. I think the black and white works here and would not work in SN's shot. They both are the same concept, but completely different, which is actually pretty cool considering the theme. This is one of the favorite submissions of yours.

guess: Awesome. I like the mulitple "contrasts" in this picture.

aidan: <3 <3 <3

Tf53: I'm really digging the grainy feel of your picture. Nice job!

This really was an amazing week. I liked each and every single picture, and has probably been the best assignment yet. And thanks for the vote and comments!

Hope I'm not too late to vote, forgot deadline was today.

First: LRS - I love the soft look of this shot, and the visual interest created by the horizontal and diagonal lines.

Runner-up: rampur - Nice shot. I like the fact that there's contrast on multiple layers here, between the light and the dark, white and black, in-focus and out-of-focus, all the straight lines and the one curved. Btw, just gonna guess that that's a closet door of some kind?

First Choice: LRS - I'm an unabashed fan of your work, and this is another reason why. Great contrast on many levels.

Runner Up: SealSqueal - Wonderful contrast without resorting to B&W.

Honorable Mentions:
rampur - I love the abstractness of this.

guess - Nice shot that works even without the background on the corporate building.

Other Comments:
Lucky Forward - Heh, I took a similar shot for the Juxtaposition theme, but without the "Get in my belly!" overtones. Oh, and the technical ability.

AirBrian - Great textures and contrast.

hey_monkey - Too bad the Apple key is too far to get in frame, that would've really driven home that level of contrast, but I do appreciate the multiple levels of contrast you captured.

thatbox - The elements that tie into the theme are over-riden by the shock value, not that that's bad or good.

giga - Nice shot, but doesn't connect enough with the theme for me. The lined reflections of the light from the blinds is a bit distracting, a more diffuse light source would've helped.

OnkelC - The high contrast hides the hands' pivot nicely which add interest. One of my favorites of your watch shots. I'm not sure you need to edit the left corner, but I do wonder about your justification for keeping it in.

mrkgoo - I like the composition here.

ScientificNinja - Love the tight composition and how your hand is clearly holding the baby's. Focus feels a little soft, but not enough to keep this from becoming a cherished family photo.

Roi - Great job catching those shafts of light. I suspect they weren't nearly as defined in the color version.

Forsete - The blue is really a distraction for me. Regardless of the theme it was taken for, I think I'd prefer this monochrome.

joshschw - Great shot.

Rentahamster - The yellow is very powerful. I think this would have also worked in color, contrasting the red against the yellow..

aidan - Very contrasty, but a bit too chaotic to be immediately attractive to me. Perhaps a wider shot to give the patterns some context?

Tf53 - No idea what it is, and I don't care. Nice gradiants and use of graininess.

Squirrel Killer - Well, I've gotten votes for some of my entries and even managed to "win" one of these assignments in the past, so the next ego boost I've been waiting for was for someone to mark one of my shots as a "favorite" on flickr, which someone did on this shot. That, combined with that this shot has already entered my screensaver rotation, almost makes up for the lost shot with his grandfather when he was still newborn.

hey_monkey said:
first: ScientificNinja -- maybe it's my hormones speaking here, but that picture completely had me at first glance. And I must say I like the warmth of the color version slightly better than Squirrel Killer's black and white, though both are beautiful.

ScientificNinja said:
Squirrel Killer: I'm so conflicted on this one, because everything I like about this photo is the reason I chose to keep mine in colour.

AirBrian said:
Squirrel Killer: Also very touching. I think the black and white works here and would not work in SN's shot. They both are the same concept, but completely different, which is actually pretty cool considering the theme. This is one of the favorite submissions of yours.

Thanks guys. My initial instinct was to go B&W, but I then decided to go color for the warmth that hey_monkey mentioned. After seeing ScientificNinja's entry, however, I knew I needed to differentiate my entry. I ended up liking the B&W more than the color, so it's all good in the end.

joshschw said:
Squirrel Killer: yours is sharper and has that same cute-factor, but I don't like the skin tones in your B&W conversion they lack some warmth. Whenever I do a B&W where skin is th majority of the photo I go through many presets before I find one that works well, just a little hint.
While I appreciate the advice, it wasn't warmth I was going for. GIMP's channel mixer doesn't have presets, but it does preview and I did experiment with various settings and found that a mix of about 65% red to 35% blue best brought out the skin textures. I then bumped the blue mix up to 45%, specifically to increase the contrast.

joshschw

Tough voting this week:

1st: ScientificNinja (it's a bit blurry, but really it's a great photo, I love it.)
2nd: aidan (this is the kid in me voting for this one, it's so darn cool, what is it of?)

Lucky Forward: I really enjoyed this, th 20D really looks like he's examining the disposable. Nice, I like your setup as well, I used a similar one for my own except I just had a flash instead of lights.

LRS: A lot of people like this one and it fits the theme perfectly, but to me it's boring, nothing against you or the shot. just a personal preference in this case. well done though, I know that when i see it as well.

AirBrian: I don't know whether I'm missing an additional contrast in the subjects themselves or it's just based on the colors. But nice shot regardless.

hey_monkey: Cool. I don't really like those Apple keyboards but that one is better then the laptop-style one =p

SealSqueal: Gorgeous photo, if anyone didn't look at this larger they should do so. Seriously next time post the larger version of it. Probably my actual favorite photo of the bunch.

thatbox: I'm not sure what you sitting on the toilet with your pants on your ankles did for this picture! but props to you for it, lol. Very sharp picture when I looked at it full sized, nicely done.

giga: Perfect amount of DoF. I like, it's just something that most of us see nearly every day.

OnkelC: Fix that left corner! Really I like this one, the ultra-high contrast looks really cool on this watch, my favorite part is the watch band, I really like the way that came out.

mrkgoo: same comments as gigas, I think your would also improve had you focused on the Wii rather the PS3.

Roi: Not bad by any means, I like the texture on the road a lot. I'm not sure what I'd have done differently but the flare being centered kind of throws this one off a bit.

Forsete: I love shots like this, I have many myself

rampur: I'm not sure what the heck I'm looking at here, it's contrasty though, Again, this is a personal thing, but I'm not a huge fan of photos I can't make out.

Rentahamster: ooo, I like this one a lot, I think that mustard is just too imtimdating looking ;-)

Squirrel Killer: yours is sharper and has that same cute-factor, but I don't like the skin tones in your B&W conversion they lack some warmth. Whenever I do a B&W where skin is th majority of the photo I go through many presets before I find one that works well, just a little hint.

guess: pretty ironic! This is a great picture, with the whole background and all. (my most annoying thing about it is the unlit "J" :lol )

Tf53: same as rampur.

---
sorry if I come across rude sounding or anything like that, it was unintentional, I sometimes do that online and am totally oblivious!

Thanks for the votes and comments, guys, I almost wrote out NEOGAF instead of the squiggles!

Tf53

First of all, awesome entries all around. The level of these assignments has gone up dramatically in the last couple of months. While it's cool to see so many astonishing pics, it's getting way too hard to judge them. :D

It has to be done, though, so here goes:

Winner: Lucky Forward: Like I said before, great shot. I love almost every aspect of this image, maybe apart from the right side of the shot, which is a bit too light compared to the left edge. I love the positioning, the personification of the 20D, the humor... awesome.

Runner-up: SealSqueal: Love the colors, love the moment you've captured. Great shot all around.

Honorable mentions:

AirBrian: It seems to me that the brick wall is on the verge of overexposure. Other than that, great shot. There's a definite contrast between the calm and cool brick wall and the dark and scary woods.

OnkelC: Like someone said, the top left corner is a bit distracting. Maybe crop it a bit tighter? Apart from that, great shot. Nice exposure, lovely contrast, and... a left-handed watch?

Roi: Beautiful. I would've liked to see it a bit less exposed, though. Right now the sun is a bit too powerful, and the shadows could've been even more powerful had they been a bit darker.

Squirrel Killer: A great shot, but it looks a bit too contemporary, if that makes any sense. I think what I'm longing for is the look that really old photographs have, some graininess, some dust, stuff like that. It's almost as if this shot was made for that, and now that it's not there, it bothers me. Go figure. :D

aidan: I don't know what that is, but it looks cool. The brightest parts seem a bit overexposed, though.

Other comments:

LRS: It's funny that this shot is at the same time pleasing and somehow distracting. I can't seem to find a spot to focus my eyes at. Lovely texture on the blue part.

hey_monkey: Like the idea, but the keyboard could've, ironically, used some more contrast. Might be the keyboard's fault as well.

thatbox: Haha, like the setting a lot. Other than that, though, it comes off a bit bland. Maybe up the contrast? ;)

giga: Nice macro, but a bit weak topic-wise for me.

mrkgoo: Topic-wise a good setting, but it was a really tough assignment. The Wii seems a bit out of focus, too.

ScientificNinja: Is it just me not having slept, or is the shot a bit out of focus? A beautiful shot nonetheless, and one of the best topic-wise.

Forsete: I think this picture would've been more powerful in B&W. Right now it comes off half-idyllic (the sky), half-creepy (the trees), and although there's that contrast(!), it's not as capturing as it could be.

rampur: I agree with Shadowmancer. I think you could've cropped it a bit tighter, though.

joshschw: The three pencils/pens come off a bit overdone. I think the contrast between old and new would've been more powerful with just two pen(cil)s and maybe the ink bottle.

Rentahamster: Lovely yellow! It's a bit weak on the topic side, though.

guess: I didn't know churches that tacky existed. That said, I saw a Mercedes Benz with "Jesus helps" emblazoned on the rear bumper (big letters, too) today. The photo seems a bit bland somehow. Might be the grey sky.

Tf53: The item in question is a Logitech MX1000 mouse lying on my brand new home office desk. I've been really busy as of late (work deadline, moving house), so I'm just glad to have snapped anything at all. I had a really tough time coming up with anything contrast-y, so I decided to take the artsy route.

Tf53 said:
ScientificNinja: Is it just me not having slept, or is the shot a bit out of focus? A beautiful shot nonetheless, and one of the best topic-wise.

joshschw said:
Tough voting this week:

1st: ScientificNinja (it's a bit blurry, but really it's a great photo, I love it.)

Yeah, the focus isn't as sharp as I would've liked, and I think I made life unnecessarily difficult for myself on account of my complete inexperience with babies (and therefore an extraordinary fear of accidentally doing something wrong with her while she's in my care).

I had her in my lap, the camera sitting on a tripod over my shoulder (damned thing is too heavy for a one-handed shot and I wanted to keep as many hands free to handle the baby with extra care), the baby in my lap with my left hand supporting her head and operating the remote at the same time.

Yes, I did ask for help earlier on and everyone in the family was keen to play the role of hand model. Unfortunately none of them understood that models are supposed to take directions, so after getting the "well I think the way I posed should be good enough for you" talk, I ended up having to get the pose I wanted myself :p

Well, either way, it was fun to do :)

Man it was so hard, I literally could have had eight shots in my top two, but I have decided to go with:

1st: ScientificNinja - a nice shot and for nailing the theme imo.

Runner-up: LRS - can't completely explain why, there is just something about that shot that gets to me, it seems simultaneously futuristic and ancient.

ScientificNinja said:
SealSqueal: Beautiful. Did you have to do much colour correction on it?

What I did was bring in the levels on the histogram by a couple of points and put a slight s bend in the curves like I do for every photo, then it was just a matter of putting it in the correct colour space for the web, which I failed at first time (you can tell I haven't done much web design!).

Re: some comments on mine--

I tried so hard to work in the Apple/command key and tried dozens of different angles, and it just never worked out. I finally kept the shot that mostly closely matched my actual work setup (it happened to look the best) and hoped the white/black combo plus the eject button would be enough! But it was kind of funny... I thought this would be a really simple shot and I ended up taking far more than I usually do. And I just cleaned my keyboard, or I probably wouldn't have done it. :lol

Thanks for all the comments. I didn't have much to add this week other than "omg teh goodness," so I held back, but I consistently learn so much from the comments here -- on everyone's photos -- and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I thank people who give them when and as they can. The discussions on GAF on photography and everyone's helpful spirit makes the assignments more fun as well as being a great resource.

aidan

First: Squirrel Killer - Touching and works on so many levels. The Black and White is what out it over the top, instead of ScientificNinja's, for me. This would look terrific framed up on the wall of the nursery!

Second: Forsete - I (along with Brian, apparently!) had the same idea! I'm actually a fan of the blue sky, I wouldn't have wanted it to be in black and white.

Comments:

Lucky Forward - Terrific personification. The only reason I didn't give it a vote (and I was damn close to doing so) is because I felt the other two had more contrast from a technical angle.

LRS - I'm glad you left it in colour. I'm distracted by the fact that the lines in the background aren't level, though.

AirBrian - I'm usually a big fan of your work, but I don't really dig this one. I'm not sure if it's the subject matter (I'm more drawn to the out of focus background than the foreground) and I'm not fond of the composition, either.

hey_monkey - I love the idea (I tried something similar, but decided not to go with it once I saw your submission), I just find the contrast way too warm and soft, and it seems out of focus to me.

SealSqueal - Gorgeous. Do you have a higher res version I could use as a background?

thatbox - I dunno, it just makes me more uncomfortable than anything. I think I would have liked it a lot more if it was just a photo of the shoes, without the toilet gimmick.

giga - Terrific. The only misgiving I have about it is the reflection of the blinds on the buttons, I would have liekd to have better been able to see the letters of the buttons.

OnkelC - Top left corner. Top left corner. Blah blah blah. I kinda like the imperfection of it. Definitely my favourite of your watch photos.

mrkgoo - I'd have liked to have see a less diffuse used. More contrast and shadows to separate the two consoles.

ScientificNinja - Just as awesome and touching as SK's. The soft focus and lower contrast made the difference, though.

Roi - Awesome. Where'd you take this?

rampur - Nice contrast. I like the abstractness of it.

joshschw - As someone else mentioned, I think this photo would have been stronger with fewer set pieces.

Rentahamster - So epic. Looks like it could appear in a magazine.

guess - I would have liked to have seen the top of the taller building still in the frame. Otherwise, a definite runner up.

Tf53 - Weird and abstract. I like it!

Sorry if I came across a little hard. I adored every single picture, so instead of pouring on mounds of praise, I decided it might work better to get a little nitty gritty. Good job everyone. I agree with anyone who said this was one of the best (and hardest to vote for) assignment yet!

Also, thanks for the votes! My photo was taken at a sandstone beach near my place. It looks like the moon, it's a really neat place.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads, then by pistols at dawn, then naked Twister.
We're still a good way away from naked Twister, but right now there is a tie going down to the "longest time since last win/thread start" tiebreaker. There's at least one more voter I expect to cast a ballot and of course anyone else could cast one too, but it's late and I need sleep. I'll compile the results tie or not in the morning, s'alright?

aidan said:
SealSqueal - Gorgeous. Do you have a higher res version I could use as a background?

Certainly do, I'll try get around to putting a couple up tomorrow night. Thanks for the kind comments by the way people. :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
D'oh I just got home. Need to go right to sleep, though, so I'll put my in depth comments up later if I can do it before the new thread is up.

Anyhoo....those two photos that I mentioned I liked in a previous post? Yeah, I'm voting for them.

1st: guess
- totally awesome subject matter. The framing and composition is also great. The backstory adds lots of depth and weight to the photo, but even just visually, it can stand on its own.

2nd: joshschw - very cool subject matter and composition. I like the contrasting tones and the contrasting instruments of writing. I appreciate the time it took to set up the shot. I think it could have used a bit of fill lighting, but then again, the way it is now does add more contrast. Nice job!

Very tight voting, the three point spread between the top five is easily the tightest top five, and all five each got three first place votes:

12 SealSqueal
12 LRS
11 guess
10 ScientificNinja
9 Squirrel Killer
6 hey_monkey
3 AirBrian
3 Lucky Forward
3 Roi
3 thatbox
2 aidan
2 joshschw
1 Forsete
1 OnkelC
1 rampur
1 Tf53
0 giga
0 mrkgoo
0 Rentahamster

The Top Three:
SealSqueal
2238892454_2f9ed02ff3.jpg

LRS
14wvtvk.jpg

guess
jesus_saves383.jpg

Some very quick stats:
Winning Margin: 0
Tie-breaker: Longest time since last win/thread start, LRS won #17, SealSqueal has not won to date
Entries: 19
Votes: 20
Entrants Voting: 90% (17 of 19)
Vote Distribution: 84% (16 of 19)
New entrants: giga, rampur, SealSqueal
Ironmen: aidan, AirBrian, and Squirrel Killer

Random trivia:
- SealSqueal is the third "freshman" to win, the other two being Yonn in #13 and Thrillhouse in #28. Interestingly enough, #28 was also tied, that time between Thrillhouse and AirBrian.

Congratulations, SealSqueal on your first win!

Grats's SealSqueal. An amazing pic that was deserving of this. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the next assignment.

aidan

Congrats, SealSqueal! I'm still waiting for that wallpaper!

It's great to see an 84% voting margin. I think that really shows how we've all succeeded in growing as photographers. So good job everyone!

PeteJ

Thanks aidan for collating the pics and squirrel killer for counting the votes, and sorry for not taking part in my own thread or assisting in any way. Hopefully I'll make the next one!

Great photos all round. Congrats SealSqueal, that is an awesome shot :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I wasn't so lazy I would have voted for SealSqueal, but it looked like it worked out for him without my help.

Oh shit I won?! I could have sworn I saw more votes for other people :lol thanks again, I'm just happy to be competing in good company, and have a reason to use my camera again, so you'll be seeing more of me from here on in. Pressure's on now to back it up!

I'm in the midst of uploading a couple of bigger shots (it's only 17:30 on thursday afternoon here in aussie land), I was thinking maybe I'll put up pre-cropped ones as well.

I'm not quite sure of the process from here, is this a weekly thing? That is do we start another one almost immediately? And could someone give a quick rundown on themes that have been chosen for the last few weeks, I don't want to cover old ground...

SealSqueal said:
Oh shit I won?! I could have sworn I saw more votes for other people :lol thanks again, I'm just happy to be competing in good company, and have a reason to use my camera again, so you'll be seeing more of me from here on in. Pressure's on now to back it up!

I'm in the midst of uploading a couple of bigger shots (it's only 17:30 on thursday afternoon here in aussie land), I was thinking maybe I'll put up pre-cropped ones as well.

I'm not quite sure of the process from here, is this a weekly thing? That is do we start another one almost immediately? And could someone give a quick rundown on themes that have been chosen for the last few weeks, I don't want to cover old ground...

Wha? Whereabouts in Oz are you??

Edit: Judging from the time frame, Syd, Mel or Hobart?

Tf53

SealSqueal said:

Just do an advanced search with "Assignment", only titles, and hey presto, you gots all of dem old topics handy. And the sooner you have a new thread, the better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom