• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2010 - Q1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasra_2x4

hunting a flying crow in the air (in Tehran).
IMG_6960.jpg

4382479043_762d3c91bd_o.jpg

4383323666_11b86e8903_o.jpg

I took this photo outdoors today and did a little post processing. I submitted it to the decay assignment thread. This is my first time post-processing. Did I overdo it? :D

The_Inquisitor said:
I took this photo outdoors today and did a little post processing. I submitted it to the decay assignment thread. This is my first time post-processing. Did I overdo it? :D
No they are gorgeous. Actually you might have shot yourself in the foot!

Celery&Lager said:
No they are gorgeous. Actually you might have shot yourself in the foot!

You liked them stock huh? I ran back to my room and grabbed my tripod and snapped a few more. These are with a small amount post editing.

The set url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacman326/4382934603/in/set-72157623497099674/

4382934603_662ed3fce9_b.jpg

4382935145_054b5617d8_b.jpg

4382935327_25658fa1a3_b.jpg

4382935687_7a2bcdcd3b_b.jpg

4383695208_fbab965313_b.jpg

4382936219_a36dfc4b4e_b.jpg

4383695856_bc4b9f6a3d_b.jpg

I'm trying to pick one of the above dead flowers for the decay contest this week to swap out with the sephia one. I can't freaking decide! The robin showed up part way through the shoot, so I snapped a few of him. I wish I had a telescoping lens, but the shots came out really well for just having my 50mm.

eso76

should come in these threads more often.
just bought me some decent all purpose lens (canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM) and i can't wait to take some good pics to contribute.

First impressions - Never thought IS would be so effective, i just took a few random shots while walking back home tonight and i was able to take sharp pics handheld at 1/13 or even 1/5. Considering i don't have very steady hands (even 1/100 would sometimes come out soft or fuzzy in my hands) i am very pleased.

Timbuktu

Still photographing english heaths.
4386193046_ed65fefd26.jpg

4386165168_f31a56da7b.jpg
4385422493_3154c2cb51.jpg

4386177076_e0a706b483.jpg
4386172148_04730b0879.jpg

Futureman said:
Do you guys ever feel sick of trying to make things look pretty?

I don't know if that's a weird thing to think or feel, but I feel like it's a frustrating aspect of photography to always be trying to make things look beautiful or interesting when that doesn't necessarily mirror reality.

meh.

pretty interesting discussion on this on the last page. BlueTsunami's quote about "creating photographs for yourself, not others" reminded of that line in Spike Jonze's Adaptation of "You are what you love, not what loves you" and the whole theme in the film about creative passion. That was such a good film.

guess

Chorazin said:
I'm not Guess, but according to the EXIF reader I installed in Chrome it's at 400.
yeah, 400

aidan said:
Guess, what ISO did you take that at? It's got a weird texture to it.
I actually didn't even notice the texture when I posted the image. I can only see it from certain angles on my laptop lcd.

killertofu said:
This thread makes me depressed that I don't have time to shoot :(

Do what I do these days and always carry your camera with you. I was walking on campus and saw the dead leaf/flower above. Snapped a bunch of shots.

mrkgoo

The new Aperture update makes it feel a little more solid...

EF17-40L, 17mm, f/8.0, 1/250s, iso100

EF17-40L, 17mm, f/11.0, 1/160s, iso100

ALso, I feel RAW is still a little overkill for a lot of my shots. I think I'm going to work in a bit of both JPEG and RAW into my usual workflow.

hEist

thinkin' about to start a "project 52 weeks", to kick myself to take more photos.
365 is a bit too hard, i think.

anyone doing something like this (52weeks/365 days)?

Chorazin

mrkgoo said:
ALso, I feel RAW is still a little overkill for a lot of my shots. I think I'm going to work in a bit of both JPEG and RAW into my usual workflow.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just shoot in RAW all the time. It's going to look just as good as the jpeg at the moment you snap the pic, with the bonus of being way, way more editable if something was screwy you didn't notice in the field. I guess maybe if space is a concern....

I guess I"m just a RAW guy because I've shot in RAW from the moment I got my D40, never used JPEG.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm the same way. When I transitioned from an XTi to my 5D, I switched to RAW exclusively. Yes, every image MUST be edited in some way now, but I'll take the massive flexibility RAW provides over JPEG any day.

Chorazin

Menelaus said:
I'm the same way. When I transitioned from an XTi to my 5D, I switched to RAW exclusively. Yes, every image MUST be edited in some way now, but I'll take the massive flexibility RAW provides over JPEG any day.

One of the nice things about Aperture is that it automatically applies a RAW conversion preset that takes into account and auto corrects some of the weird camera specific, RAW only things as you import, it's really rather helpful. Bonus, you can change it if you don't think the Apple supplied preset isn't doing the job right.

mrkgoo

Chorazin said:
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just shoot in RAW all the time. It's going to look just as good as the jpeg at the moment you snap the pic, with the bonus of being way, way more editable if something was screwy you didn't notice in the field. I guess maybe if space is a concern....

I guess I"m just a RAW guy because I've shot in RAW from the moment I got my D40, never used JPEG.
Because I don't need every image to take up 25 MB. So I see my cat sleeping in a funny position and snap 4 images - bam, 100 MB.

I've spent years taking JPEGS for the most part anyway, and I hardly ever revisit them. Take them right or if you don't need to edit, or even just a little bit, you're fine. This is all just for play, so if it turns out I 'miss' a shot, it's no big deal.

hEist said:
thinkin' about to start a "project 52 weeks", to kick myself to take more photos.
365 is a bit too hard, i think.

anyone doing something like this (52weeks/365 days)?

Tried last year. 'Got about 150ish days into it, and couldn't keep up. Trying again this year, but already failing.

hEist

the_log_ride said:
Tried last year. 'Got about 150ish days into it, and couldn't keep up. Trying again this year, but already failing.

yeah thinking the same about 365 days, so my 2nd thought was to try 52weeks instead,then i have more time.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey Mrkgoo, I am applying the new update to Aperture 3. Did you see a huge difference in performance?

Yeah, feels a bit more robust. I haven't used as heavily and I did do a rebuild of my library afterwards, but its' fairly smooth sailing. I think it fixed the memory leaks, plus it does feel a bit snappier.

I've also since discovered that some of my performance is due to the large iPhoto Library I have - even if I just rename the folder that my 900 project folders are in, it takes 45 minutes to resolve, and another 45 to update on exit.

At first, I thought it was hanging, but I gave it a good hour on beachball, and it resolved (I've noticed that the database rebuilding takes around 45 minutes too). Don't know if 3.0.1 resolved it better or if I should just be waiting, but I do 'feel' that 3.0.1 is a bit more stable. No crashes yet.

mrkgoo said:
Yeah, feels a bit more robust. I haven't used as heavily and I did do a rebuild of my library afterwards, but its' fairly smooth sailing. I think it fixed the memory leaks, plus it does feel a bit snappier.

I've also since discovered that some of my performance is due to the large iPhoto Library I have - even if I just rename the folder that my 900 project folders are in, it takes 45 minutes to resolve, and another 45 to update on exit.

At first, I thought it was hanging, but I gave it a good hour on beachball, and it resolved (I've noticed that the database rebuilding takes around 45 minutes too). Don't know if 3.0.1 resolved it better or if I should just be waiting, but I do 'feel' that 3.0.1 is a bit more stable. No crashes yet.

Hum I am pretty sure I updated to 3.0.2 today. Maybe check software update?

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
Hum I am pretty sure I updated to 3.0.2 today. Maybe check software update?

You are confusing me greatly. You ask me about the update, so I tell you about it, then you tell me about it.

Anyway, there was a RAW compatibility update, but not one for Aperture, I believe. I 'll go check, though.

mrkgoo said:
You are confusing me greatly. You ask me about the update, so I tell you about it, then you tell me about it.

Anyway, there was a RAW compatibility update, but not one for Aperture, I believe. I 'll go check, though.

You're right. It was the raw compatibility patch. I did them both at once and mixed up the numbers. :lol

Anyways I managed to get an interesting subject to photograph this evening after playing with the pep band at a basketball game. Ill post them after I load them into aperture and do a little brightening.

What's the story on that squirrel? My family and I have adopted a wild squirrel that visits our house for peanuts. She takes them right out of our hands. She even knows her name when we call for her. :D

zombi

Nice work, hasnt been a bad quarterly thread yet. Havent posted something here in a long time (I dont think this whole thread). Anyway, heres a recent one I just finished up. Shot on my nikon, as a polaroid-esque test shot to make sure things were right to then bring the new mamiya in.
pokerface-SMALL.jpg

Chorazin said:
I had my camera with me when I hit up Starbucks for a coffee and a read and thought this would make a cool shot.

4390842406_d5f3121f0c_b.jpg

I love the almost subliminal message you have going in the photo.

the chalkboard in the window

So question photo GAF. I have decided to go back through and keyword my photos. I upload all my photos to Flickr. The problem is is that I don't think I can sync my Flickr keywords back to the photos. Plus some flick uploads were done in iPhoto before i got Aperture. Do I need to basically go through my photos twice and update the pictures?\

Honestly if I have to double up, I will probably do it in just Flickr. I store my aperture library on my external HDD, so Flickr is really the only resource always with me.

mrkgoo

The_Inquisitor said:
So question photo GAF. I have decided to go back through and keyword my photos. I upload all my photos to Flickr. The problem is is that I don't think I can sync my Flickr keywords back to the photos. Plus some flick uploads were done in iPhoto before i got Aperture. Do I need to basically go through my photos twice and update the pictures?\

Honestly if I have to double up, I will probably do it in just Flickr. I store my aperture library on my external HDD, so Flickr is really the only resource always with me.

Keywords in Aperture end up in FLickr. I've tagged keywords into iPhoto, and they transferred over into Aperture. The keywords magically appear in Flickr when I upload them.

Be careful with Aperture though - the location data is by GPS and by default if you embed metadata, that location data ends up on the images too. YOu can go to preferences to not include places and faces data in the metadata though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
been playing around with gimp's "threshold". makes for interesting pictures, even with poor quality (out of focus, soft, etc) photos that i'd never use otherwise.

heres my papy
4390611383_3637e78afc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom