• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2010 - Q1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrnorush said:
attempt at HDR

not sure what I did wrong but theres a weird glow around the house. I guess thats expected?

Do you remember how many frames you shot for that HDR? (or was it from a single file?). Usually that's a result of lack of Dynamic Range from a lack of exposure variance and/or the program used (some programs have issues with blending the various exposures together). Its basically called Halo'ing.

mrkgoo said:
BLuetsunami: I thought there was a distinction in cross-eyed vs parallel-eyed (wall-eyed?) 3D images. I don't do the cross-eyed, I look at the right picture with my right eye and the left picture with my left. I can do this with these images you posted (and thank you for posting them smaller - parallel viewing is nigh-on impossible if they are too large), but not with many of the images in the cross-eyed thread.

I thought there was too. I'm actually not sure if what I'm doing is actually looking cross eyed with these or parallel eyed. All I know is that I try to the left image and right image and merge them together into a third image (Between the two).

olbareun

Do you remember how many frames you shot for that HDR?

I used 3 for that shot. Maybe I will try 5.

I don't really see a weird glow. In any case, I think it's an amazing picture.

Thanks! I like how it came out too, but if you notice the top left corner, the same sky behind the tree is much lighter than other parts of the sky.

Borman

IMG_1473.jpg

Not exactly the shot I wanted, but I was in a rush, and it was cold and flurrying. Will be revisiting it when its a bit nicer. Its just some structure on campus, but itll be neat. Already thinking about a few shots when its nicer out.

Maiar_m

Hey Photo-Gaf, I've shown my pictures to a pro and he told me to invest in a DSLR (I kind of had it coming), and to practise by taking pictures of nothing but the same subject for a week, until I get so bored of it I have to find new ways of taking pictures.
So I guess two question: are any Londoners or UK-GAFers around here selling a cheap second-hand kit? And what do you thing of the guy's advice, have you tried that kind of approach before?

Strange, I liked that picture when I first saw it, but now it just seems wrong.
I do like the process though, it's just I'm wondering if it couldn't have been better without the HDR...

BlueTsunami

For you constant Flickr browsers (and users of Google Chrome) check out this Extension that gives you a better browsing experience...

http://code.google.com/p/fittr/

Things its added (that I've noticed)

.) Easy EXIF viewer via dropdown directly under image

.) The ability to click on the image from its Flickr page and have it popup (instead of taking you to its direct page). You're then able to choose if you want to view it over a black, grey or white background.

.) Keyboard shortcuts, for example S = Star (or Favorite the photo) X = Toggle EXIF Preview (drops down the EXIF information), L = Lightbox (Pops up a larger size of the image over a darker background).

The first two functions are pretty huge since you have to access separate pages just to view them.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've been out of the game for a while now, as work life picks up, but I've got a good backlog of photos to work on.

Most recently, from a snowshoeing trip.

An alternate for the assignment thread:

4311962943_ca3167787a_b.jpg

Snowboarding:

4311986497_68c3d063b0_b.jpg

4312797904_51e2482ec5_b.jpg

Scenery:

4312003421_b59e7a0dbf.jpg

4312051039_db0cdabbae_b.jpg

Some B&Ws:

4312755786_06a484822f_b.jpg

4312748968_7a0db7d0ee_b.jpg

aidan said:
I've been out of the game for a while now, as work life picks up, but I've got a good backlog of photos to work on.

An alternate for the assignment thread:

4311962943_ca3167787a_b.jpg

4312051039_db0cdabbae_b.jpg

Beautiful shots. Great job.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
ScientificNinja said:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n268/ScientificNinja/DSC_2976.jpg[/MG]

Haven't shot anything in a while.[/QUOTE]
That's pretty cool.

[QUOTE=Max@GC]it´s snowing again

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2exc5mx.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2hhhkqo.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/nx3nzk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That middle one is great.

[QUOTE=aidan]I've been out of the game for a while now, as work life picks up, but I've got a good backlog of photos to work on.

[/QUOTE]
Wow! Awesome.

BlueTsunami

mrnorush said:
I love this one :D

ok after 3 or 4 days of HDR I decided its not my thing.. I recently sold my 50.4 for sigma 30.4 and here are some night shots taken with it.

Gah, this is why I want a low light wide angle so badly! Really dig the first shot, the converging lines is really strong.

Rich!

Time to post some of my shots. Hope these aren't too big...And I hope deviantart don't 404 them either:

Escape_by_richorchard.jpg

Pride_by_richorchard.jpg

Hamworthy_Park_by_richorchard.jpg

Trapped_by_richorchard.jpg

842a345fa398567f613822b3ac85adef.jpg

oqkck3.jpg

Most of these taken with a D40x with a 18-200mm VR lens, one of them (the worker in the street) was taken with a Minolta SLR and processed by myself.

What do you guys think of them? Should I post more?

misterchef

Neo Member
I have a quick question - I have a Canon T1i and I'm wondering if there is anything I should be careful of when taking pictures in subfreezing temperatures?

misterchef said:
I have a quick question - I have a Canon T1i and I'm wondering if there is anything I should be careful of when taking pictures in subfreezing temperatures?

From what I've read, the biggest danger is condensation when you take the camera back into a room temperature environment. Also from what I've read, you can protect your camera from this by sealing it in a 2 gal. ziploc bag once you're done shooting, then keeping it in the bag for a while after you've gone back inside. That way, the condensation forms on the bag rather than on the camera.

Rich!

Max@GC said:
pretty good, but could have been more sky imo.

Yeah, the framing could be better - but it was literally a completely chance image. I was in the park taking photographs of my dog, and I decided to take a snap of those beach huts. As I did, a windsurfer sped past.

No matter how long I waited, he didn't go back between them again - and if he did, it probably wouldnt have been so perfectly central. :lol

Maklershed said:
I absolutely love this. Amazing. It almost looks like a painting.

Thanks man. I touched up the colours a tad on photoshop, but I dared not mess with it in any massive way - it was and still is one of my fave shots.

edit - goddamnit, just realised I can see a shadow of my hand/camera at the very base of that image. Just pretend it's a shadow from a branch. :lol

Fireye

Still trying to get the hang of post processing images, tweaking exposures, hdr, and Photoshop. Took a trip out to a local Botanical Garden today, figured it'd be an interesting shoot in the snow.

I'm undecided on the following two. The brighter and warmer of the two is a tonemapped hdr image. The second is a "fused" hdr image. Both were using Photomatix Pro. I like the warmth of the first, but the second is closer to life. There are also some major chromatic aberration issues in the tonemapped file.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
question for the photoshop badasses.
How do you take something out of a picture and put it into another?
For instance if you look the cactus is out of focus in this picture below. I have another one where the cactus is in focus but the background inst in focus and i'd like to merge the two so that everything is in focus. Problem is they aren't anywhere near the same alignment as i was hand holding through live view.

Lesson learned check aperture before shooting.

any tips would be much appreciated.

4252920582_ecabe29462_o.jpg

Forsete

Gold Member
Bored (sick actually), going through my old library which I just imported to LightRoom 3, some 10k pics (damn, I hope that transfers over to the retail version), mostly shit but I dont have the heart to delete anything. :D

I dont usually do black and white but I thought I'd give it a shot, not 100% black&white though. :p

4326103058_f07a7c1442_b.jpg

A little Band of Brothers colouring going on here. ;)
4325366757_7217ae4e2e_b.jpg

4326104340_8711f7430f_b.jpg

With these two I let the proper colours shine through a tiny bit.

Here is a model shot of my watch.
4325365135_32bee37ecd_b.jpg

I was very happy with it untill I saw some annoying reflections. :( FFFFUUUU

Chorazin

Went outside tonight and saw it was snowing, so I grabbed my D40 and my new 35mm f1.8 lens. Wow, I'm pretty impressed! This is just off the surrounding street lights, I could never have gotten this shot with my kit lens....

4326307297_1e88c0e3f8_b.jpg

Phoenix4

Just joined with one of the reasons being finally able to upload some pictures. Pretty new to photography, just bought my first SLR a few months ago. Here are some (still unedited) pictures i took during my holiday, half a world away from my home :). Really like the colors in both pictures.

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

Be gentle, but i'm open for any tips on processing, framing etc :)

Another Photography newbie here as well. Hoping that I can get to some interesting places to take some photos over the next couple of months. I'd appreciate any feedback offered. :)

My first humble effort:

RoseberryTopping.png

Roseberry Topping, Newton-Under-Roseberry, North-East England

BlueTsunami

Phoenix4 said:
IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

I dig them, the colors are fantastic. The only thing that's rubbing me that I noticed right off the bat is the images feel underexposed.

Frame looks real good, the second image I may have dropped the horizon to the bottom 3rd of the screen but it looks like you were trying to get the path in there? It just looks as though the sky could have been given more room (and would make the image feel expansive).

Harry_Tequila said:
Another Photography newbie here as well. Hoping that I can get to some interesting places to take some photos over the next couple of months. I'd appreciate any feedback offered. :)

My first humble effort:

RoseberryTopping.png

Roseberry Topping, Newton-Under-Roseberry, North-East England

Quoting for the next page (Sucks being at the bottom of the former page :p )

mrkgoo

BlueTsunami said:
Quoting for the next page (Sucks being at the bottom of the former page :p )

Good on ay. I try to do the same, and thought it would be good for people to get in the habit of quoting the last set of images on page when starting a new one (for this thread only, obviously).

Chorazin

Phoenix4 said:
Just joined with one of the reasons being finally able to upload some pictures.

Think about ditching Photobucket for your serious pics and join Flickr. There is an awesome GAF Photography group and it's so much easier to get people to look at your pics than on PB.

If you do, post your name so people can be your friend! :)

Phoenix4

BlueTsunami said:
I dig them, the colors are fantastic. The only thing that's rubbing me that I noticed right off the bat is the images feel underexposed.

Frame looks real good, the second image I may have dropped the horizon to the bottom 3rd of the screen but it looks like you were trying to get the path in there? It just looks as though the sky could have been given more room (and would make the image feel expansive).

The underexposed look is caused by the polarizing filter i was using on the camera (forgot to take it off even on the less brighter days which was pretty stupid). I think it did wonders for the sky and sea separation (light & dark blue) though. Might even helped on the red dirt colors on the first image.

As for the composition, i ran to this spot from the car while we really had to get going, so it was a little too much point and shoot for my liking with the manual settings i used a half hour earlier ;).

I'll make a flickr account to upload some more photos soon btw :)

Phoenix4 said:
Just joined with one of the reasons being finally able to upload some pictures. Pretty new to photography, just bought my first SLR a few months ago. Here are some (still unedited) pictures i took during my holiday, half a world away from my home :). Really like the colors in both pictures.

I'm with you, man. I joined for the same reason :lol Where do we find this GAF Flickr Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom