• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment 80: Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
One of the biggest landslide victories I have seen in these threads...and with so many terrific entries. :) Pre-emptive congrats to mrnorush. :)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Oh, I forgot a few comments! These aren't votes!

Lucky Forward - I love seeing you get creative like this, but blood's gotta be red, dude. Even selective saturation would have worked, and lent more weight to the photos.

scola - Interesting subject, great background, but the first two photos are way too similar.

mrkgoo

aidan said:
Oh, I forgot a few comments!

Lucky Forward - I love seeing you get creative like this, but blood's gotta be red, dude. Even selective saturation would have worked, and lent more weight to the photos.

scola - Interesting subject, great background, but the first two photos are way too similar.

The way you've just presented two comments, it nearly seems they are votes.

Oh, and thanks for the comments by the way, on my own shot. I was pondering for a moment what you meant by the class of gear I have. I suppose you mean a dedicated macro lens. I'd be curious to know if the same shots can be taken with a point and shoot - obviously not if you wanted to print it large, but for presentation here, maybe. I dunno - curious.

aidan

mrkgoo said:
The way you've just presented two comments, it nearly seems they are votes.

Oh, and thanks for the comments by the way, on my own shot. I was pondering for a moment what you meant by the class of gear I have. I suppose you mean a dedicated macro lens. I'd be curious to know if the same shots can be taken with a point and shoot - obviously not if you wanted to print it large, but for presentation here, maybe. I dunno - curious.

Dedicated Macro Lens + great body with high useable iso.

First Choice: evanylee - What a great job for a great cause that perfectly fits the theme. Thank you for reaching out to your community in this way. As a series, I think fewer shots would've either eliminated the one landscape shot or made it stick out less from the rest. Perhaps a series of just 02, 05, and 04 or 01, 05, 02 would've given the series a meta narrative beyond the portraits themselves and the cause.

Runner Up: mrnorush - What hasn't already been said about this great series of shots. If someone hadn't mentioned the off-centeredness of the Space Needle, this would've taken my top slot.

Honorable Mentions:
mrkgoo - You were robbed. What an amazing series that get relegated to HM. Great job!

Scythian Empire - I like how you re-created the basic RGB colors within your desaturated/low contrast style.

Other Comments:
captive - Well executed shots, but for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, these shots aren't resonating with me. I wish I could give a better reason, but can't put words to it. My apologies.

Forsete - Great looking shots, however you lit it. Second photo doesn't seem like it adds a lot to the series, but that's a quibble.

imastalker co. - Nice series. I wonder, do you have a regular customer/small business relationship with each of these guys?

silverbullet1080 - Nice presentation and lighting.

AlteredBeast - Nice narrative.

Timbuktu - The more I look at this, the more intricacies to the layout I see. Very nice and layered presentation.

the_painted_bird - Why didn't you correct the color balance on the second picture?

ronito - Hurt by the focus and lack of a narrative progression.

Lucky Forward - Feels nicely noir-y.

aidan - As individual photos, they don't hold interest, but you did a great job with the composition.

scola - Well taken shots, but there's no flow. Why am I getting three shots of the same subject?

My shot:
Thanks for the comments. I agree with most all that I've read, the composition is too cramped. I worried more that the concept would come through that I left a lot to be desired in the execution.

35 mrnorush
10 Forsete
7 mrkgoo
4 AlteredBeast
3 evanylee
3 Scythian Empire
2 Lucky Forward
2 Timbuktu
1 scola
0 aidan
0 captive
0 imastalker co. *
0 ronito
0 silverbullet1080
0 Squirrel Killer
0 the_painted_bird

The Top Three:
mrnorush
4175710154_15f9c5056b_b.jpg

Forsete
4157538965_fb1da40df5_b.jpg

mrkgoo
4160690173_4173359f04_b.jpg

Qwik stats:
Winning Margin: 25
Entries: 15 (1 non-entrant)
Votes: 17
Vote Distribution: 64% (9 of 15)

Random trivia:
- World Fairs, the 1962 edition of which the Space Needle was built for, are the third largest event after the World Cup and the Olympics. Despite that claim to fame, I honestly thought they stopped doing them back in 1904 or so.

Congratulations, mrnorush on your first win! Now go sell some posters of it!

NeoGAF Photo Assignment Threads FAQ.

Congrats, mrnorush, great job!

aidan said:
Runner-up: mrkgoo - I had you penned in as the winner as soon as you posted. mrnorush made me change my mind, but that just speaks to the incredible quality of the entrants this time around. Beautiful. The only gripe I have is that this is one instance where gear is as much the culprit for these beautiful photos as anything else. Not many people on the forum have the gear to compete with photos like this.
While it's true that having a dedicated macro lens opens new creative possibiities, it takes quite a bit of skill and know-how to get successful results, particularly in managing the razor-thin depth of field. I know I've taken lots of bad shots with my expensive macro lens. ;)

aidan

Lucky Forward said:
While it's true that having a dedicated macro lens opens new creative possibiities, it takes quite a bit of skill and know-how to get successful results, particularly in managing the razor-thin depth of field. I know I've taken lots of bad shots with my expensive macro lens. ;)

Oh, certainly! Looking back on those comments, I don't want mrkgoo to think I was taking anything away from him as a photographer. Beyond what you mentioned, it also takes a natural eye to be able to spot situations like the ones he captured. It's just that the mark of his high-end gear is also on the shots. It's definitely not a bad thing, just intimidating!

:D

More importantly, big congrats to mrnorush! And everyone else, for that matter. It's great to see, even a few years down the line, that there's still so much creativity left in these assignments.

Can't wait to get the next theme. Given the Holidays, though, should we extend the submission period?

mrkgoo

aidan said:
Oh, certainly! Looking back on those comments, I don't want mrkgoo to think I was taking anything away from him as a photographer. Beyond what you mentioned, it also takes a natural eye to be able to spot situations like the ones he captured. It's just that the mark of his high-end gear is also on the shots. It's definitely not a bad thing, just intimidating!

:D

More importantly, big congrats to mrnorush! And everyone else, for that matter. It's great to see, even a few years down the line, that there's still so much creativity left in these assignments.

Can't wait to get the next theme. Given the Holidays, though, should we extend the submission period?

Nah, of all people thinking gear can make a shot, the last one would be you!

Yeah, my gear intimidates me sometimes. I would say that those shots have little to do with the 7D, unless you wanted to print large images. For sure the iso1600 is much better (heck, iso400-800 has now become my standard isos), but for small images shown on the web, like these assignments, most shots on any cameras come out clean.

I will admit that the EF-S 60mm Macro is such an awesome lens.

Oh, speaking of large prints, I've printed some photo books from my collections using iPhoto and Apple's printing service. I want to give them to friends and family as gifts. It really is something else to see your images in print!

As for submission times, I guess that's up to mrnorush! Maybe he should consider an appropriate theme for the next assignment....

Congrats to mrnorush and forsete. Two great submissions and well deserving. Man, seriously, people did get their creative juices flowing this time, and I'm glad.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
aidan said:
Well, the 60mm macro is only $400, and there isn't anything particular about the 7D that would have made using any other camera unfeasible. mrkgoo could have taken that shot with a Rebel if he had to. At web size, there's hardly any difference. He was taking good stuff way before he upgraded his gear.

But yeah, you're right about the natural eye stuff. I mean, you should know, you take some pretty good stuff with the gear you have.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrkgoo said:
Oh, speaking of large prints, I've printed some photo books from my collections using iPhoto and Apple's printing service. I want to give them to friends and family as gifts. It really is something else to see your images in print!
Could not agree more. I really think this is taken for granted. I have printed my pictures before and just received prints just yesterday, more today and Thursday of my mom, niece, sister-in-law, and her mom before they went out on an event. I think they are going to love them judging by their reaction to the jpgs i sent them. In these very same pictures i find myself nitpicking about different things or noise, but when i received 8x10's yesterday you cant see the noise at all. I've found printing noisy pictures, it has to be very noisy to show up in small prints, but slight noise on some cameras make it look more like film. You're not going to go up to a 16x24 picture an inch away and look at it why would would you blow up your picture on your monitor and look at imperfections?

For whatever reason my mom brother and gf all want various pictures of mine and love the ones i've given them already. For his birthday we got my brother a 16x24 on canvas, which was really cool, he loved it.

I guess in all that mess i just typed is try worry less about technical imperfections your camera produce and if you can have some of your favorite images printed, it really is a lot different than looking at it on a monitor.

cant recommend www.whcc.com enough. They are so cheap with top notch quality prints. An 8x10 is 2 bucks for example.

Also congrats mrnorush, what an excellent picture. Even more surprising is the landslide victory as everyone had excellent submissions.

olbareun

oh wow thanks everyone :D best christmas gift ever!

Reading up on the FAQ and thinking about the next theme.
Would end date being January 2nd work with everyone? Is this too late?

aidan

mrnorush said:
oh wow thanks everyone :D best christmas gift ever!

Reading up on the FAQ and thinking about the next theme.
Would end date being January 2nd work with everyone? Is this too late?

I'd say go a day longer and finish on January 3rd. Sunday deadlines seem to work the best. Don't be afraid to re-use or put twists on old themes, it can be hard to come up with a completely original one at this point. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom