• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afro

Hey Photohraphy GAF, how exactly is this look/style achieved? Is this mostly post-processing / color grading of some sort? I'm fairly new to DSLR, but I'd love to learn how to take shots like this. I especially love the muted color palette. Thanks for any help.
55b3cc44513117.581475c5f2d76.jpg

3286af44513117.5814756f7788e.jpg
d4f7ab44513117.581475c60356d.jpg

Hey Photohraphy GAF, how exactly is this look/style achieved? Is this mostly post-processing / color grading of some sort? I'm fairly new to DSLR, but I'd love to learn how to take shots like this. I especially love the muted color palette. Thanks for any help.

I don't personally do this sort of style, so I could very easily be wrong, but it looks like those shots focus on increasing clarity, contrast, and then lowering vibrancy in Lightroom.

The muted color palette is specifically vibrancy.

Afro

I don't personally do this sort of style, so I could very easily be wrong, but it looks like those shots focus on increasing clarity, contrast, and then lowering vibrancy in Lightroom.

The muted color palette is specifically vibrancy.

Cool thanks! Appreciated.

finalflame

Some photos I've taken since getting my first camera this year
<snip>

Holy shit these are beautiful. I'm especially fond of the one with the boats in the water and buildings in the background, makes me miss Brasil (sou brasileiro! acho que você é também).

Congrats on great photos!

xkramz

is there a photography thread where theres lots of info on it for beginners? seems like thusi one is only a sharing thread.

is there a photography thread where theres lots of info on it for beginners? seems like thusi one is only a sharing thread.

We are happy to answer any questions in either here or the photography equipment thread.

If you have questions about specific photos, or framing, or techniques, they usually happen in this thread, where as questions about gear or Lightroom usage tend to end up in the equipment thread. But really, we'll give advice and answer questions wherever we see them. :D

As for "beginners tips" sorts of things, the first things I would start learning is mainly composition. You'd be amazed how much good composition can make a shot! After you start getting a handle on focusing on your composition and framing, start looking at the more technical aspects, like exposure and lenses, at which point you'll get more control of your end results.

leder

Neo Member
Holy shit these are beautiful. I'm especially fond of the one with the boats in the water and buildings in the background, makes me miss Brasil (sou brasileiro! acho que você é também).

Congrats on great photos!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm brazilian :)
Most of the photos are from Joao Pessoa, where I live, 2 of them are from Fortaleza.

I'm glad you liked them!

xkramz

We are happy to answer any questions in either here or the photography equipment thread.

If you have questions about specific photos, or framing, or techniques, they usually happen in this thread, where as questions about gear or Lightroom usage tend to end up in the equipment thread. But really, we'll give advice and answer questions wherever we see them. :D

As for "beginners tips" sorts of things, the first things I would start learning is mainly composition. You'd be amazed how much good composition can make a shot! After you start getting a handle on focusing on your composition and framing, start looking at the more technical aspects, like exposure and lenses, at which point you'll get more control of your end results.

thanks i appreciate it!!! friday im getting a D5500

thespot84

Here's two identical images from lightroom, the first is just a medium contract curve and auto tone:

P9229113-001.jpg by adamwolach, on Flickr

This one is the curve and auto tone, as well as contrast all the way down (-100) and vibrance all the way down (-100), and dehaze up 76.

P9229113-001-2.jpg by adamwolach, on Flickr

The muted color pallete can be achieved in post, but a lot of what's going on in those photos is happening in the moment the picture is taken. Notice how 60-70% of all those pictures are really dark tones. Those pictures are taken 1 or 2 stops under the "correct" exposure, or exposed to make the shadows more prominent. Essentially a low key photo. If you take a bright high key picture and apply the same post processing to mute the color and mess with the contrast it would not achieve the same effect.

Afro

The muted color pallete can be achieved in post, but a lot of what's going on in those photos is happening in the moment the picture is taken. Notice how 60-70% of all those pictures are really dark tones. Those pictures are taken 1 or 2 stops under the "correct" exposure, or exposed to make the shadows more prominent. Essentially a low key photo. If you take a bright high key picture and apply the same post processing to mute the color and mess with the contrast it would not achieve the same effect.

Here's two identical images from lightroom, the first is just a medium contract curve and auto tone:

This one is the curve and auto tone, as well as contrast all the way down (-100) and vibrance all the way down (-100), and dehaze up 76.

GAF teaches all. Thanks again, appreciated. I'm messing around in Lightroom now and I'm starting to get it.

edit: also, boosting up that "clarity" slider seems to really bring out those shadows and dark tones. seems very useful. i'm a lightroom noob also.

thespot84

GAF teaches all. Thanks again, appreciated. I'm messing around in Lightroom now and I'm starting to get it.

edit: also, boosting up that "clarity" slider seems to really bring out those shadows and dark tones. seems very useful. i'm a lightroom noob also.

I have to adjust clarity and dehaze together all the time. they're strong tools, and it's easy to end up with way too much 'HDR' looking photos

I have a bias towards using clarity a little, and dehaze more often.

Afro

I have to adjust clarity and dehaze together all the time. they're strong tools, and it's easy to end up with way too much 'HDR' looking photos

Nice, and do you always just automatically hit "auto tone" after importing an image? Is it just standard procedure or is it sometimes not needed?

leder

Neo Member
Nice, and do you always just automatically hit "auto tone" after importing an image? Is it just standard procedure or is it sometimes not needed?

I never used the auto tone preset in Lightroom. I think it's better to change all the sliders individually, this way, with time, you can really learn what each of them can do.

My workflow generally starts with lowering the highlights, bringing up the shadows and adjusting the black and white points. Once I get a dynamic range I'm happy with I start going down the list of tools in the right panel.

Sorry to intrude, I hope it helps you in any way.

thespot84

I never used the auto tone preset in Lightroom. I think it's better to change all the sliders individually, this way, with time, you can really learn what each of them can do.

My workflow generally starts with lowering the highlights, bringing up the shadows and adjusting the black and white points. Once I get a dynamic range I'm happy with I start going down the list of tools in the right panel.

Sorry to intrude, I hope it helps you in any way.

you're right it's better to understand what's going on than relying on the algorithms. I like to work with the histogram at the top of the develop tab, you can drag each section back and forth and ensure that you're not losing blacks and highlights and getting an even tone, and at the end of the day it's what looks good to your eye, and developing your eye. Also, You'll notice that messing with the histogram, the curve, and the sliders all do the same thing.

I usually do my best to not touch clarity too much now if I'm dealing with a photograph of a person. I occasionally bump it up a notch on some B&W's though, portraits I don't think I touch it too much now, good for landscapes...not so much on people. I think 5 or 10 is my max when I do it on people.

I like these. How do you like the XT1? They've gotten really cheap since the XT2 came out on Ebay.

I swear you've asked me this before lol. I love it, the lightweight of a mirrorless makes it so easy for me to travel with. All the dials for shutter, aperture and iso are all very easy to reach and adjust. I used to have an XE1 before this and the autofocus on the XT1 is leaps and bounds better than it. Still not as good as a DSLR or anything, but fine enough for anything I use the camera for. I don't feel any need for an upgrade and probably won't for a long time.

I swear you've asked me this before lol. I love it, the lightweight of a mirrorless makes it so easy for me to travel with. All the dials for shutter, aperture and iso are all very easy to reach and adjust. I used to have an XE1 before this and the autofocus on the XT1 is leaps and bounds better than it. Still not as good as a DSLR or anything, but fine enough for anything I use the camera for. I don't feel any need for an upgrade and probably won't for a long time.
I probably did lol. I'm looking for lighter and I'm always going between an Olympus EM1, Pansonic G7 and an XT1. I really just don't want a Sony body though.

I probably did lol. I'm looking for lighter and I'm always going between an Olympus EM1, Pansonic G7 and an XT1. I really just don't want a Sony body though.

I don't know enough about the G7 or the EM1, but here are some reviews to convince you to buy the XT1. :)

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-t1
https://www.google.com/amp/s/haveca...ifilm-xt1-review/amp?client=ms-android-google
http://www.fujivsfuji.com/fujifilm-xt1-review/
https://photographylife.com/reviews/fuji-x-t1
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thep...w-fujifilm-x-t1/amp/?client=ms-android-google

Great pictures, I see you're shooting with the XF23mm f/1.4. I'll be getting my X-T2 + XF23mm f/1.4 on Tuesday, and it's the only lens I plan on using. Can't wait :)

Thanks! You'll love the Fuji and the 23mm. It's my most used lens once I got it, especially for traveling. I won't really bother switching lenses whenever I go out with it (I'm kind of lazy though).

I have seen almost every XT1 and XT2 review on youtube. I know they're good just not too crazy about having to buy a new set of lenses.

Hi, can I ask for some beginner tips in this thread? I'm going for a trip to europe soon with my family, my uncles and aunts will also be there so it's quite a number of people, I expect a lot of taking group photos, and also some more spontaneous photo of my family talking and having fun I guess. any good tips for good composition guidelines for group photo or just typical tourist photograph in general?

I have Sony A6000 with standard 18-55 and 55-210 kit lenses, I also have Nissin i40 flash and small tripod. not sure if the flash will be used often though, should I leave the flash connected to my camera all the time, or maybe just occasionally when I'm in door or during night time? also wondering if I should bring the tripod. we're on a tour, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to take out tripod and bringing it everywhere.

speaking of night time, I also have question, how should I take pictures during nigh time? from my experience, using flash leave the person well lit, but it left the background dark. I assume I have to lower the shutter speed or raise the ISO?

Hi, can I ask for some beginner tips in this thread? I'm going for a trip to europe soon with my family, my uncles and aunts will also be there so it's quite a number of people, I expect a lot of taking group photos, and also some more spontaneous photo of my family talking and having fun I guess. any good tips for good composition guidelines for group photo or just typical tourist photograph in general?

I have Sony A6000 with standard 18-55 and 55-210 kit lenses, I also have Nissin i40 flash and small tripod. not sure if the flash will be used often though, should I leave the flash connected to my camera all the time, or maybe just occasionally when I'm in door or during night time? also wondering if I should bring the tripod. we're on a tour, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to take out tripod and bringing it everywhere.

speaking of night time, I also have question, how should I take pictures during nigh time? from my experience, using flash leave the person well lit, but it left the background dark. I assume I have to lower the shutter speed or raise the ISO?
Group pictures pretty much require flash since you need to shoot them in the upper aperture ranges to get them all in focus...at least F4 - 5.6 or something. Yes lower the shutter speed and raise the iso, though define at night. Some light or none? Bring the flash period. If you're doing landscapes then bring the tripod as well. You're not running around with 1.8 glass and those kit lenses are sunny day lenses.

Group pictures pretty much require flash since you need to shoot them in the upper aperture ranges to get them all in focus...at least F4 - 5.6 or something. Yes lower the shutter speed and raise the iso, though define at night. Some light or none? Bring the flash period. If you're doing landscapes then bring the tripod as well. You're not running around with 1.8 glass and those kit lenses are sunny day lenses.

so, should I use flash for group pictures even when it's outdoor and sunny? should I use the small diffuser box?

at night, I assume there will still some light, I don't think we're taking family photo when it's pitch black, generally we see some nice view and just want to take family picture with the pretty view as the background.

so, should I use flash for group pictures even when it's outdoor and sunny? should I use the small diffuser box?

at night, I assume there will still some light, I don't think we're taking family photo when it's pitch black, generally we see some nice view and just want to take family picture with the pretty view as the background.
That really depends on how sunny. If you can stop down to about F5.6 and still maintain a usable hand held shutter speed then that's fine.

Working through taking senior photos for my sister, thought these were pretty good.

20161106-20161106-DSC07338.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20161106-20161106-DSC07367.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Both taken with my 100mm Samyang Macro. This next one with my 14mm.
20161106-20161106-DSC07396.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
I like the first two, should've shot maybe a bit tighter with the last one though. Unless it's completely impossible I usually try not to have stuff like random dudes reading newpapers in my portrait shots.

I like the first two, should've shot maybe a bit tighter with the last one though. Unless it's completely impossible I usually try not to have stuff like random dudes reading newpapers in my portrait shots.

There really wasn't anywhere else that the background would've been good, so kinda had to deal with it. :/

Everyone else has been absolutely enamored with that photo though.

There really wasn't anywhere else that the background would've been good, so kinda had to deal with it. :/

Everyone else has been absolutely enamored with that photo though.
I would assume you could've shot that one vertically too. Granted my Full frame lenses are not wide so it's just what I'm used to.

I would assume you could've shot that one vertically too. Granted my Full frame lenses are not wide so it's just what I'm used to.

Vertical with a 14mm is... hard. I actually have another one I took this round that is a vertical with that, and it's kinda weird, not sure if I *really* like it.

For reference, she was maybe just under 2 feet away for that shot.

Vertical with a 14mm is... hard. I actually have another one I took this round that is a vertical with that, and it's kinda weird, not sure if I *really* like it.

For reference, she was maybe just under 2 feet away for that shot.
Is that the one where she's under the movie sign? I know nothing about 14mm since I've never shot that before.

Yeah, that's the one. That one was pretty close too, and I feel like its got too much room vertically.
Yeah it does have a bit of dead space vertically. I guess that's why I don't shoot my portraits too wide...can't yet cause my widest full frame lens is 50mm, but I don't think I was shooting too wide on my crop sensor camera either. You might want to see if you can find a 35mm prime for cheap if you want to shoot wider, but not as wide as 14mm. I was just going through a couple of shoots and I usually just don't shoot too wide. My widest recently was an 18mm and that was me doing a something interesting with the perspective. For wide...depending on camera I'm pretty much between 23 and 35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom