• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF PLAYS: Transport Tycoon Deluxe (or, the free OpenTTD on a GAF server)

Flunkie

Banned
Just completed my new multi-billion dollar railroad. Each train is bringing in about 4 mil/year.

t4IYp.png

DBT85

I never played this Transport Tycoon, though I did enjoy the Railroad Tycoon games.

But damn if these screenshots aren't making me want to play RCT again ><

Damn you Chris Sawyer, stealing years of our lives.

Flunkie

Banned
No sabotage, but I also have no freaking clue how to use signals. Lol. Metal tried explaining them to me and I was still confused. I tried using them once, and my trains just went nowhere. Blah.

I know it's not the most efficient way, but it was more about actually making it for me. It was really fun to try and squeeze it through that canal and get all the rails lined up.

tci

Planned to play this yesterday, but was so tired. But today I will join in. But first I need to finish a web site :)

Acidote

So.. Murphy, can somebody absorb my company? I don't have the time the keep handling it. It's a time sinker. I Have my little project of populating the area south of Denwell (my starting point) and it's almost done so I will leave when that is over.

So.. Murphy, can somebody absorb my company? I don't have the time the keep handling it. It's a time sinker. I Have my little project of populating the area south of Denwell (my starting point) and it's almost done so I will leave when that is over.

Just remove the password and change its name to something like "YOU CAN JOIN THIS COMPANY", i don't think you can buy other peoples companies unless they go bankrupt.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
If anyone wants my company (tons of airports, not yet tapped into trains) $50-65m/year profits, quote this post and I'll PM you the password. Please have previously posted in the thread.

Koren

If anyone wants my company (tons of airports, not yet tapped into trains) $50-65m/year profits, quote this post and I'll PM you the password. Please have previously posted in the thread.
I'm interested... Starting a railword frow scratch would be especially interesting.

I'm now OK with signals and basics, ready to go ^_^

tci

So I just failed and ruined my company from the start....

I built a monorail etc for £500 000 and then I did not have enough for a train. Then removed everything and built regular railroad. Well, those trains didn't exist anymore. So I had to build everything again. So now I have 1 car with - 10k a month, and a train that I don't know if it can make a profit. Also I have just about no money left.

Fuck yea!

My small company (2bil worth) is up for grabs.
It has some trains (20ish), some ships (10) and 20 airplanes and 6 airports (one of them has 15K passengers - it's near the HQ).

I renamed it "You can use this Company!"

It was a pleasure playing!

So I just failed and ruined my company from the start....

I built a monorail etc for £500 000 and then I did not have enough for a train. Then removed everything and built regular railroad. Well, those trains didn't exist anymore. So I had to build everything again. So now I have 1 car with - 10k a month, and a train that I don't know if it can make a profit. Also I have just about no money left.

Fuck yea!

You could have said something in game. We would have given you money.

Also, your company was just bought out after going bankrupt :p

Acidote

I just left the game today with ¿7? billion euros in the company, and it's open for anybody (Bankrupcy Filed Ltd). So there you have it.

I love this game. I don't have the time to play it right now, but I'm loving seeing everyone's empires here in this thread.

Love this era of strategy games where the sprites have such great charm and detail... RCT2 also.

ksimm

It's every bit as charming as it was many years ago, but also greatly improved thanks to OpenTTD.

I forgot that I bought the iPad version when it was released and taken down shortly after. Just re-downloaded it from the app store and it looks fantastic, although it's version 1.0. I would always favour the PC / Mac version though purely down to mouse and keyboard.

My company is ticking over nicely now, I woke up stinking rich this morning which was nice! I need to practice my railway signals and am hoping we can get a new game going soon, maybe with tweaked difficulty to slow the game down a bit.

Thanks metalmurphy for making me an addict again... :p

Koren

I still struggle with a couple of things...

I have a factory that produce goods. I built a truck loading area on it, and a road. I have trucks bringing steel and cereals. I try to make trucks loading goods and transfering them to a nearby station.

Sometimes, I see goods waiting in the loading area, but they soon disappear. When my trucks looking for goods arrive, it's empty.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I still struggle with a couple of things...

I have a factory that produce goods. I built a truck loading area on it, and a road. I have trucks bringing steel and cereals. I try to make trucks loading goods and transfering them to a nearby station.

Sometimes, I see goods waiting in the loading area, but they soon disappear. When my trucks looking for goods arrive, it's empty.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Goods disappearing are being picked up by your trucks. You have too many trucks hauling vs how much the factory is producing. You can click on the colored factory name to see what amount of product is "waiting". If it is empty most of the time and your trucks are waiting there also, you need to send some trucks to the depot and sell them until you have the right amount to balance production vs hauling. If not you'll be getting yearly messages of ground vehicles that lost money. Mostly just be sure all your vehicles are profiting this year and last year in the vehicle lists. If something is in the red you need to check it out.

Also I just went in and checked the airports for you. You were at less than half of the income you were at when I handed it over. Planes crash and have to be replaced regularly. You can just go into the hangar at one of the airports, then clone vehicle and clone one from your plane list that's already flying so it'll have the same shared orders. Do this enough to keep about 60 planes or whatever for that huge route you have. I "helped" as much as possible to get that back on track for you in the meantime. I like your trains, looking good.

dramatis

My small company (2bil worth) is up for grabs.
It has some trains (20ish), some ships (10) and 20 airplanes and 6 airports (one of them has 15K passengers - it's near the HQ).

I renamed it "You can use this Company!"

It was a pleasure playing!
I just randomly joined your company yesterday and replaced ships and built a new line, somewhere in the middle the name changed and I just loled and went crazy replacing trains and train lines.

Sorry about that. I have no idea how the company looks now. It's been rolling in dough every year though, aside from the ones where I spent a lot building new airports and buying new planes.

Nevasleep

nVBuZ.gif

The terminus station on one of my busiest routes (normally busier than that too).
Each intermediate station has at least four platforms, and the other terminus is split between two stations.
Lots of money!
Fcpr2.gif

Another Station :p

Pretty cool idea with the GIF.

This is my best terminal right now:

lolf2j73.gif

It receives oil from boats, grain/livestock/steel (steel comes from another quite profitable iron ore train route)from trains, and delivers goods to several cities.

Each train gives me around 2,500,000€ to 4,100,000€ and there's around 15 trains going through (without counting the iron ore -> steel route). Some trains share the same station.

My pride and joy of this game :p

Koren

Goods disappearing are being picked up by your trucks.
It's disappearing even without trucks (my trucs aren't picking anything, in fact).

I know it's normal at stations if the rating is low, but is it the same for production areas?

Also I just went in and checked the airports for you. You were at less than half of the income you were at when I handed it over.
Thanks. I'm a neebie, and I still struggle to grip many things (and planes were a new thing for me). You've developped such a complex air service that I was a bit lost. How do you know that a plane crashed, and is it possible to remember which line it was?

I also had some (more serious) work to do... I already went to bed far too late yesterday again because of OpenTTD...

I like your trains, looking good.
They're nowhere near as decent as I would have liked. I struggle a lot because there's not a lot of space available, and that cause a big jam yesterday night I spent half an hour to solve.

And that's without the fact that I built a railway and discovered after that I couldn"t by vehicules anymore, people want maglev ^_^ Many thanks again to people who helped me yesterday, btw.

I just randomly joined your company yesterday and replaced ships and built a new line, somewhere in the middle the name changed and I just loled and went crazy replacing trains and train lines.

Sorry about that. I have no idea how the company looks now. It's been rolling in dough every year though, aside from the ones where I spent a lot building new airports and buying new planes.

Yeah, I saw that coal (?) train line just north (?) of the city with the HQ. Sorry about the boats, but I had just finshed changing all other vehicles, and since the "breakdowns" options were set to "off" it really doesn't matter if you buy new cars or trains or boats (planes are different, though) apart from increased operating costs.
In the options (I'm speaking to the server creator) there should be a "auto-replace old vehicles" that should end the annoying "vehicle 8 is getting old" messages and free the off-line players of unwanted surprises when they get back online.

Speaking of OpenTTD, I tried the FIRS mod that adds a lot of industries and changes the chain of request and demand (secondary industries produce goods - not just generic "goods" - in quantities that are relative to how much supplies they get). It's interesting, since you have things like Bauxite mines, stone quarries, fishing zones and all sort of industry (aluminium, furniture, machines etc.) and some smaller "shops" that I think help neighbouring cities growth (gas stations, hotels...). It's main issue, IMO, is that having secondary industires producing low quantities of products, brings in so many problems that it soon makes you crazy.

Anybody knows a good AI for OpenTTD? I've tried a few (Terron, TrAIns...) but they aren't that great: one goes on trying to create an airplane company, but it always go bankrupt in a year or so, another one builds something like 600 buses (no trucks, just buses) and chockes every street with them (and still manages to make a ton of money).

Cirruss

How does everyone feel about a server reset and a Candy Land as the new map?

I'm cool with a server reset, the current map is a bit too full, not sure about the candy map though thought the winter or desert one could be more interesting since the towns need water and other resources to grow.

Great game, I wish I had the time to participate.

Some years ago I woke up after playing 12 hours in a row. It felt like 60 minutes. What a time sink

Server is down for the moment as I am preparing the new map as well as adjusting some settings to make it more interesting.

*edit*

Server is back up with the new desert map.

Koren

Is the server dead?

With the lack of auto-replace, the ressources that disappear and so on, it's quite difficult to do great if you don't spend a lot of time on the game :(

I'm currently doing some profit (~100k/y), but it took me a couple of hours, and I fear that tomorrow morning, I'll be close to bankrupt :(

Sorry guys, BSOD. Will be up in a few minutes.

And it will rollback to the last auto save, shouldn't be more then 5 minutes.

Also, I didn't change anything to auto-replace.

Koren

Sorry guys, BSOD. Will be up in a few minutes.

And it will rollback to the last auto save, shouldn't be more then 5 minutes.
Server is up, but empty and back to 1940?

Edit : nm, I must have logged too early.

Also, I didn't change anything to auto-replace.
I know, it was already like this in the previous game... But for people leaving the game for several hours, it's a useful feature, as someone has suggested...

Top Bottom