• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF PLAYS: Transport Tycoon Deluxe (or, the free OpenTTD on a GAF server)

If Versipellis come back on a new map, that's a huge plus, I enjoyed a lot looking at his networks (and others)

My last act was creating an elevated maglev connecting many copper mines, but I got bored pretty soon. And the results are pretty lame. :\

I'd like to see some more challenge in the next map, just to see how well others and I cope with an increased difficulty (both geographical and economical).
But I'm still cool with an easy map, if this helps newcomers join the game.

Is it possible to start a multiplayer game with mods? There's that FIRS add-on I was talking about before that I'd like to see applied (along with a vehicle mod needed by FIRS), but it adds some variables to industries that not everybody would enjoy, I think.

I suggest that Metalmurphy posts the time of the restart some days before the activation: this way we can join the game in the earlier phases of the game.

Koren

Koren is currently on it.
Sorry... I left. I was checking whether a design was clogging or not.

I'd like to see some more challenge in the next map, just to see how well others and I cope with an increased difficulty (both geographical and economical).
But I'm still cool with an easy map, if this helps newcomers join the game.
[...]
I suggest that Metalmurphy posts the time of the restart some days before the activation: this way we can join the game in the earlier phases of the game.
I agree on everything.

That being said, about difficulty: I still find the beginning a bit difficult, with very low incomes and a lot of potential for screwing up. After half a century, with cash flowing in, that becomes quicly far too easy, indeed.

Koren

New server in the Snow map with Mountains is up. I also added the Industries mod, and oh boy, there are ALOT of industries now.
This.

And beware, I built many things for nothing, because a lot of stuff you can produce CAN'T BE SHIPPED. That's a bit stupid, I think.

Beside, I had just finished laying road supply lines that the railway is available :(

I hope my company will survive the next 16h...

Had to reset the server so everything you done was lost, but the non transportable cargo problem has been fixed. You can now refit vehicles to transport the new types of cargos.

Koren

Sorry. But it was kinda pointless having it like before, new industries but without being able to use them.
Yes, I agree... I was joking (except that I *indeed* nearly haven't slept the launch night).

Can you give me efficiency lessons? ^_^ I love how I build a (really) extensive network, and I just make as money as you (with twice the shipping)

Yes, I agree... I was joking (except that I *indeed* nearly haven't slept the launch night).

Can you give me efficiency lessons? ^_^ I love how I build a (really) extensive network, and I just make as money as you (with twice the shipping)

I'm not sure what you mean, I don't have anything running on the server right now. Steam sales have been keeping me busy :p

RayStorm

Of course I can, but it comes at the price of your cargo ratings. They probably are going to suffer.

Also you seem to have gotten the hang of it better than I do already (e.g. Train 53 of yours: Edinfield - Plinnington Valley). Basically my way of doing things is: Never messing with road vehicles unless to grow low production/ small towns.
Then get a station piece moved close to the town center and a bit outside build the actual station. After 1965 or so I don't do trains below the maximum length either (aside from using them instead of road vehicles for growing purposes).
And this right now is the critical part: Long long long distance. As you will have noticed, I always build one connection (first by plane, later by maglev) from one corner of the map to the other. This time it's the edge of the world line on the right half of the map. But the price to pay for this is unhappy customers. Due to a coverage area that covers a large part of one, two or even three large cities it's nearly impossible for me, without sacrificing parts of the cities, to build as much infrastructure as needed. And thus there are always a whole lot of passengers/goods left behind.

Which is why I again am campaigning for:
1) larger maximum station spread than 12x12
2) larger maximum train size than 7
3) realistic acceleration settings to be turned on

Koren

Interesting...

Have you tried to pull customers from city centre to city subburbs with the smallest possible line, transfer them then travel far away? Still too slow?

You can also build the station farther than the center and add an airport (for the customer pulling distance, not the airport per se) no?

Which is why I again am campaigning for:
1) larger maximum station spread than 12x12
2) larger maximum train size than 7
3) realistic acceleration settings to be turned on
Realistic acceleration would probably be a good idea, even if it'll mean more room needed for Maglev corners...

Of course I can, but it comes at the price of your cargo ratings. They probably are going to suffer.

Also you seem to have gotten the hang of it better than I do already (e.g. Train 53 of yours: Edinfield - Plinnington Valley).

Hey, hands off my route! :D :D
Jokes aside, I must really thank everybody who joined the game; I played the original TT a lot (the vanilla edition, not TTD) back in the day, but I never bothered trying to create nice railway networks. I was missing a part of the fun! I'm usually not too fond of multiplayer, but in this case it was a great way to improve my way of playing.

From my (limited) experience, the thing here is that with such a large map cargo value seems to be reaching its peak somewhere before reaching the opposite edge. Also, longer routes means less trips each year. On the other hand, a very long route lets you have a lot of trains on it, so cargo depreciation is compensated by a large number of vehicles using the same, profitable route. Too many trains do create clogging at the stations, though, which depreciate the cargo a little more (correct me if I'm wrong).

As of now, I'm trying to have max efficency on a single-train basis, rather than a single-route basis. So I add a clone train only when I see that a route can sustain it without hurting other trains (by making loading times longer, for example).
My other self-imposed goal for this map is to try and create a single cargo network that connects different kind of industries: I'm using trains, ships and trucks and a lot of transfers. It's not giving me a lot of money, but I like to be somewhat 'realistic'. And I think of it as a little electronic circuit. The problem with FIRS is that, while deeper than the original industry system, it has no apparent impact on cities and cargo is less profitable than passengers, thus connecting industries is just something you do as a challenge, rather than a way to make more money. Also, it's a mod that works better if the economy isn't stable as a rock, or the game will constantly add new industries without closing (as many) old ones, which makes the map a little too crowded. I like FIRS, but I hope they'll continue improving it.

This is probably the last map I'll play on, for now, so I'm not suggesting anything for the next one.

Koren

Jokes aside, I must really thank everybody who joined the game; I played the original TT a lot (the vanilla edition, not TTD) back in the day, but I never bothered trying to create nice railway networks. I was missing a part of the fun! I'm usually not too fond of multiplayer, but in this case it was a great way to improve my way of playing.
I agree. I'm not playing online often, but I've been drawn to play the game far more than I would have had I played alone. Seeing other people tactics is especially interesting.

Too many trains do create clogging at the stations, though, which depreciate the cargo a little more (correct me if I'm wrong).
You're right, and the slower arrival of a train in a station also decrease its rating, thus bringing less goods.

My other self-imposed goal for this map is to try and create a single cargo network that connects different kind of industries: I'm using trains, ships and trucks and a lot of transfers. It's not giving me a lot of money, but I like to be somewhat 'realistic'.
I'm doing the same. Of course, I've built a large passengers circular circuit (I could add nearly as many trains as I would like, I keep having thousands of passengers in it), but I use it for many different kind of transports. The fact that it's one-way only twin track is bringing some interesting problems.

I've troubles to remember all the industry tree, though, and I've still a lot to learn (I've recently discovered that you could automatically refit your trains, to bring oil in one direction, and gas in the opposing one) I've done a lot of it to bring equipment to production sources, but the growing is strange.

The problem with FIRS is that, while deeper than the original industry system, it has no apparent impact on cities and cargo is less profitable than passengers, thus connecting industries is just something you do as a challenge, rather than a way to make more money.
I can't say I have much interest in money anyway except as a way to be able to build anything I want... And even with that, money is coming more quickly than I can spend it after half a day. So yes, challenge with industries is more interesting, but it lacks a system to measure your successes...

This looks interesting, and a computer game I might actually be able to play with you guys (since I'm a Mac pleb).

I'm wondering if a similar community could be set-up for A-Train 9 someday.

Kabouter

Saw this thread last month and I guess it stuck around, because I got back into the game yesterday and I'm really enjoying myself. Two shots from my current game:
EnJ4C.png

J1d8V.png

First shot shows my second sawmill terminal, and my largest current terminal, which I just finished building, it's fed by seven forests and goods are taken to a nearby town. Second shot shows the largest city in the game.

Not looking forward to converting all my rail to monorail :X. Doubt it'll be the twenty second process that converting the entire network to electrical was.

Would have been cool to have you on board while the server is up.

I pretty much burned on it for now, it's always like this, play 24/7 for 1 or 2 weeks, then get tired of it, only to return next year lol.

I'll probably start playing again once they finish 32bit graphics for the new version. Game really does look amazing with them.

fQ4Nz.png

Top Bottom