• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

theaface

So I'm doing the London Marathon in April. Last time was in 2012, and I've done almost nothing since.

Went for a 6 mile run this morning, which is my furthest this time around. Felt OK actually, albeit it was bloody freezing this morning.

I'm going to be doing the marathon in fancy dress for Mencap. Still deliberating on the costume, but I'm leaning towards running as the Flash.

Build up your core muscles, do interval running for a while. You can shorten your runs, then slowly work up to longer distances. That's what I did after I tore a meniscus in my right knee. Cycling and using elliptical machines at the gym are also good ways to do cardio without putting pressure on your knees.

I've been cycling as exercise pretty much exclusively for close to 3 years now, and it's more or less the reason I decided to start running for the winter. Mainly because riding on a trainer is something I find tedious and uncomfortable and just normal riding in the winter means I have to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning and maintaining the thing. I will hook up the old trainer soonish though, I'm going pretty stir crazy doing nothing atm.

max_505

Well, I made it.

I completed my first marathon in 4 hrs 47 minutes 40 seconds. I came in 1102nd place out of 2585 runners. According to runkeeper, I burned 4683 calories. I did not shit myself, my nipples did not bleed, and I have no blisters or joint pain.

I am pretty pleased with my results, considering I lost 2 months of training to a broken rib and was only able to resume training about a month before the race.

Congrats! I want to do a marathon someday, but I have to finish my first 10K first.

Hi running Gaf,

I did my first half marathon and now I think i want to keep going. I originally did a half marathon not fun but just to see if I could (I'm no longer in my 20s...). I got the time I wanted (barely under 2 hours), but after seeing all the other good runner pass my by and checking my results afterwards and comparing mine to others, I want to do better!

I have a question for experienced distance runners. The half marathon was the second time I ran 13 miles and both times my legs decided to stop working around mile 10. Is there a certain kind of training should I do to fix that?

Hi running Gaf,

I did my first half marathon and now I think i want to keep going. I originally did a half marathon not fun but just to see if I could (I'm no longer in my 20s...). I got the time I wanted (barely under 2 hours), but after seeing all the other good runner pass my by and checking my results afterwards and comparing mine to others, I want to do better!

I have a question for experienced distance runners. The half marathon was the second time I ran 13 miles and both times my legs decided to stop working around mile 10. Is there a certain kind of training should I do to fix that?

Just more but also look at refuelling as well. At 2hrs you'll be starting to drain your glycogen stores around the 90min mark or 10 miles. If you don't want to fuck around with gels then a banana goes a long way.

Hi running Gaf,

Regular mileage will fix that. Dead legs are rarely an issue in a half in trained individuals.

Under 2 hours is decent for your age with minimal training. You'll see big gains with dedication to training.

Did you do any kind of structure training for your first race? If not, I suggest you start a running base: run 5-7 days a week all easy by feel for a couple of months. If you feel like running faster some days do it. The important goal is to have fun while getting used to the mileage and building your aerobic house so you can completely benefits from event specific workouts later. Take a down week (less mileage) every 3-4 weeks to allow recovery.

Progress until running 1h30 easy is just a normal day for you (not that you should do it every day). Then you're ready to start event specific training.

A half is run pretty much at lactate threshold or just below it. You're at threshold when you run confortably hard; a pace you could keep for about an hour.

Standard workouts for the half are:
a)steady LT runs for 5-10k
b)LT intervals 3x3k with ~1k easy in between
c)fast finish medium long (15-25k with last 5 at LT or faster). This will get you used at keeping the fast pace when tired at the end of your race.

For raw speed you want to do strides (100m sprints with complete recovery between, goal is to learn and improve legs turnover, not work anaerobic engine) and hill sprints.

If you want to get started on serious running I suggest any books by Pete Pfitzinger or Jack Daniels. Not much for their cookie cutter plans but for the training principles. Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half Marathon might be the best fit for your current needs.

Regular mileage will fix that. Dead legs are rarely an issue in a half in trained individuals.

Under 2 hours is decent for your age with minimal training. You'll see big gains with dedication to training.

Did you do any kind of structure training for your first race? If not, I suggest you start a running base: run 5-7 days a week all easy by feel for a couple of months. If you feel like running faster some days do it. The important goal is to have fun while getting used to the mileage and building your aerobic house so you can completely benefits from event specific workouts later. Take a down week (less mileage) every 3-4 weeks to allow recovery.

Progress until running 1h30 easy is just a normal day for you (not that you should do it every day). Then you're ready to start event specific training.

A half is run pretty much at lactate threshold or just below it. You're at threshold when you run confortably hard; a pace you could keep for about an hour.

Standard workouts for the half are:
a)steady LT runs for 5-10k
b)LT intervals 3x3k with ~1k easy in between
c)fast finish medium long (15-25k with last 5 at LT or faster). This will get you used at keeping the fast pace when tired at the end of your race.

For raw speed you want to do strides (100m sprints with complete recovery between, goal is to learn and improve legs turnover, not work anaerobic engine) and hill sprints.

If you want to get started on serious running I suggest any books by Pete Pfitzinger or Jack Daniels. Not much for their cookie cutter plans but for the training principles. Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half Marathon might be the best fit for your current needs.

Thanks for the info. This was my first marathon. I loosely followed a simple 3 month running program where I ran 3-4ish times a week, but I had to skip a few weeks because of injuries and other random things. I definitely plan on running more now and replacing my old workouts with more running. All the workouts you listed are pretty new to me, so I'll definitely look into them while I recover. I just picked up Faster Road Racing and started reading it. All the information is interesting and now I can't wait to get back into it.

ATF487

Finally got my time for the 5k I did on Thanksgiving, just under 23 minutes. I would have taken that before the race started, but I was keeping a really good pace for the first two miles and then sort of dropped off, so now I'm disappointed.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Ugh, seems I sprained by left thigh on Wednesday. Since Thursday I've been waking up with pain. I probably shouldn't have gone on a trail yesterday; I really wanted to burn off the pie calories from Thursday. Skipped the gym today and can't go until Monday, so I hope I'm healed up by then.

Ugh, seems I sprained by left thigh on Wednesday. Since Thursday I've been waking up with pain. I probably shouldn't have gone on a trail yesterday; I really wanted to burn off the pie calories from Thursday. Skipped the gym today and can't go until Monday, so I hope I'm healed up by then.

Try to ice it down and elevate it while you're resting if you're not already. It worked to reduce my swelling last time my thigh acted up.

Fistwell

Pulled a major
falling-down-stairs-like-a-boss_185.gif
today.
Forgot I was coming up on a flight of stairs, before I knew what was going on I stumbled over the first of 15ish steps.
Saw myself falling
funny-face2.JPG

thought of rolling onto my left shoulder to absorb the blow... then the right... then noticed I was still standing sorta, stumbling down at warp speed. Figured "fuck it I'll ride it out see what happens."

Ended up sprinting/sliding/stumbling down the stairs on the brink of falling onto my face from a great height. Escaped with a big fright and a cple of crotch muscles pulled. Could've broken a few bones or worse.
whew.png

Just finished signing up for my second and third half marathons in 2016. Going to talk about a plan with my running coach, but I hope to break the two hours barrier after my first half in SF. Given that the Livermore Half is pretty flat, I think this will be more than doable since my legs hopefully won't be dead at mile 10.5 after laborious uphills again...

Can't wait!

panda-zebra

Pulled a major
falling-down-stairs-like-a-boss_185.gif
today.
Forgot I was coming up on a flight of stairs, before I knew what was going on I stumbled over the first of 15ish steps.
Saw myself falling
funny-face2.JPG

thought of rolling onto my left shoulder to absorb the blow... then the right... then noticed I was still standing sorta, stumbling down at warp speed. Figured "fuck it I'll ride it out see what happens."

Ended up sprinting/sliding/stumbling down the stairs on the brink of falling onto my face from a great height. Escaped with a big fright and a cple of crotch muscles pulled. Could've broken a few bones or worse.
whew.png

I know it's a few days old, but that post is great. Really captured the moment. Thank you for posting :0)

Really been enjoying running at night with my headlamp. I usually can't head out for a run until 4:15 or so which means twenty minutes in it's dark. I did 6 miles last night and it was SO nice - light rain, empty roads, and the light of my lamp.

I'm hoping to do another half marathon some time in the spring but I really need to build a base back up first.

max_505

My very first 10K fun run is on Sunday (5:15AM start, 4:30AM assembly time) and I just want to ask the guys and gals here what they do before the race actually begins. I'm gonna leave the house at 3:45AM just to be sure I won't be late since I live about 20+km away. Should I eat a heavy dinner? What about after waking up? Should I eat a light snack first? Just a banana? Or just water?

So I'm doing the London Marathon in April. Last time was in 2012, and I've done almost nothing since.

Went for a 6 mile run this morning, which is my furthest this time around. Felt OK actually, albeit it was bloody freezing this morning.

I'm going to be doing the marathon in fancy dress for Mencap. Still deliberating on the costume, but I'm leaning towards running as the Flash.

You'll be absolutely fine in that - the weirdest costume I saw running it this year was a chap running as Jesus Christ, complete with wooden cross and running barefoot and wearing just a loin cloth.

Surreal.

My very first 10K fun run is on Sunday (5:15AM start, 4:30AM assembly time) and I just want to ask the guys and gals here what they do before the race actually begins. I'm gonna leave the house at 3:45AM just to be sure I won't be late since I live about 20+km away. Should I eat a heavy dinner? What about after waking up? Should I eat a light snack first? Just a banana? Or just water?
This does not sound like a fun run.

A light meal immediately when you wake up is probably better than trying on an empty stomach.

xenist

I really hate the scarcity of good running paths in my city. I mean having a track to run on is nice but I'd really like a path to run on for long distances where I didn't have to constantly dodge cars, bikes, and trucks or run along six lane highways.

Zoe

Ugh, how could my inner thighs be sore from my last half?? >_<

This does not sound like a fun run.

A light meal immediately when you wake up is probably better than trying on an empty stomach.

I've never been able to eat before a race. The potential for an upset stomach is too great.

30 to 40 degrees average. Sometimes below 30 on colder days.

Fahrenheit btw

Yeah I figured, else you would not ask for winter clothing hah.

So if it's rarely below 30F, I assume there is no snow accumulation? You don't need anything fancy for this temperature, I envy you.

For the top, get a base layer of Polartec or similar synthetic. If it gets colder, add a regular running shirt over or a wind breaker.

Use tights for legs. Simple gloves. A running toque. That's about it.

You want to feel just a little too cold when going out so when you warmed up after 5 minutes of running you feel just fine and your are not drenched in sweat. It might takes some runs to know exactly which layers you need to be comfortable at each temperature.

30 to 40 degrees average. Sometimes below 30 on colder days.

Fahrenheit btw

Personally, I've been layering my clothes when I run at night during the winter season often while wearing a beanie and some gloves. In regards to pants, you can try to wear some joggers or some gym pants, but you can also just wear shorts as you'll usually warm up after a few minutes.

The only problem that I've found is that my body tends to heat up quickly when I run so I'm often discarding my extra layers if I'm at the gym or running around a track.

Ran two shorter races the past two weeks, one 5k and PR'd at 26:10 and the following Sunday I did a Double Race 8k, finished at 39:13 and received my first age group medal!

More importantly, I think these races showed me that I'm more capable of running faster than I previously was. Sort of a runners epiphany so to speak....

panda-zebra

Just a quick FYI: any parkrun'ers in the UK unaffiliated with an athletic club can now choose to join the "NeoGAF Running Club" team.

I'm fairly new to parkrun but it's been incredibly motivating and helpful for me these past couple of months - to see so many people of all ages and abilities out on a wet and windy Saturday morning is really something. I was thinking of creating a thread in a week or so, after xmas but before the New Year, hoping to inform any fellow GAFers who might be thinking about starting a new healthy lifestyle regime to take up the Saturday morning ritual. As it's free and open to everyone and totally no pressure, I'm sure it could be used as part of a couch-to-5k routine, as you can run or walk as much or as little of it as you like, and there's always next week to try to improve a little. Think that would be worth doing or should I just make a post here in this thread?

While I am here, don't forget the NeoGAF Running Club Strava group - can be quite motivational seeing other GAFers take to the streets and trails, offering freindly little words of encouragement from time to time.

Season's Greetings RunningGAF.

While I am here, don't forget the NeoGAF Running Club Strava group - can be quite motivational seeing other GAFers take to the streets and trails, offering freindly little words of encouragement from time to time.

Season's Greetings RunningGAF.

I second joining the NeoGaf Running Club Strava group. If you own and use a GPS watch or Apple Watch you can automatically sync your daily running activities from your app to Strava with little issues if you're worried about micro-managing yet another app or program!

Every fuckin year, I have to travel so much during October/November/December that I can barely go for a run. It happened again, barely ran a km last 2 months. FFS.

Back to 0.

max_505

Anyone got the new Garmin Forerunner 230 here? I'm looking for my first running watch and I can't decide between the 230 or the 620.

The 620's on a discount right now, so it's really tempting, but do I really need all those advanced data (e.g. vertical oscillation, ground contact time) when I'm basically just a novice (furthest I've run is a 10K)?

Anyone got the new Garmin Forerunner 230 here? I'm looking for my first running watch and I can't decide between the 230 or the 620.

The 620's on a discount right now, so it's really tempting, but do I really need all those advanced data (e.g. vertical oscillation, ground contact time) when I'm basically just a novice (furthest I've run is a 10K)?

I think both watches have an internal accelerometer to measure cadence based on arm movement (can be off when watch arm does not move, such as when looking at it), so you'll be able to get one of the important metrics in any case. If you are thinking on running with a heart rate monitor, and not taking into account differences in pricing, might as well get one with a cadence sensor built into it.

You'll have found them while looking into both watches but just in case: DC Rainmaker, Jonathan Savage.

max_505

I think both watches have an internal accelerometer to measure cadence based on arm movement (can be off when watch arm does not move, such as when looking at it), so you'll be able to get one of the important metrics in any case. If you are thinking on running with a heart rate monitor, and not taking into account differences in pricing, might as well get one with a cadence sensor built into it.

You'll have found them while looking into both watches but just in case: DC Rainmaker, Jonathan Savage.

I've read DC Rainmaker's review, but not the Jonathan Savage one. I'll read that in a bit. Thanks! I'm leaning towards getting the new 230, but I need more sources regarding its battery life.

So I'm curious about something. Did anyone else besides me go for any Christmas Day Runs?

Me? I personally managed to squeeze in a ten miler before my cousins and family came over.

pbsapeer

Banned
So I'm curious about something. Did anyone else besides me go for any Christmas Day Runs?

Me? I personally managed to squeeze in a ten miler before my cousins and family came over.
Yeah it's a must. Just did a 3 miler as I'm recovering from a 2 year knee problem :) feels good to be back running again. I missed it! Managed the past 3 months injury free *touch wood*

I feel slightly demotivated as I was a long distance runner. Guess it's gonna take time to build up stamina again

Fistwell

Pulled a stupid muscle going on a stupid pre-emptive calorie burning run on wednesday (to make room for christmas eve dinner). Haven't been able to run in a few days. Pissing me off.

Edit: dude, solid pace for a ten miler, gj!

Had the whole day booked up, so I couldn't even follow my schedule and go to the gym (not that it was open, mind you). So I just went this morning and did a short 5K run on a treadmill to balance out the craziness of the previous day.

Luckily tomorrow is long run day and thursday was also a running day so everything is under control :D

Pulled a stupid muscle going on a stupid pre-emptive calorie burning run on wednesday (to make room for christmas eve dinner). Haven't been able to run in a few days. Pissing me off.

Edit: dude, solid pace for a ten miler, gj!

Damn, hope you have a speedy recovery.

xenist

Having to deal all week with the fucking Biopreparat* made me miss my weekly long run. The little Outbreak monkeys got me.

*Young children during flu season.

Oh wow, I've been a runner for a long time and a GAF guy for a long time and never knew their was a GAF running thread. And I've looked in the past and only found that weight lifting community thread. I'll be sure to sub and check back now and then. Currently working towards my seventh half marathon at the end of February. Good luck with all your training and goals everyone.

Fistwell

Damn, hope you have a speedy recovery.
Yeah it's actually fine now. Went out earlier and could barely feel it.

Oh wow, I've been a runner for a long time and a GAF guy for a long time and never knew their was a GAF running thread. And I've looked in the past and only found that weight lifting community thread. I'll be sure to sub and check back now and then. Currently working towards my seventh half marathon at the end of February. Good luck with all your training and goals everyone.
Welcome! Be sure to join the gaf strava group for the comlete running gaf experience. ;)

I've used the 620 for about a year and sold it to get the 230 a couple weeks ago. i'm a marathoner and barely used the advanced features on it. i just need the watch to see my splits during speed workouts/long runs and cadence which is available on most garmin watches. I did spring for the hrm strap so will play with that time to time.

The 230 i really love that u can have 4 things on the screen during runs instead of 3. i haven't gotten to use the estimated time feature yet but looking forward to trying that out during a race. I'll miss the touchscreen but can live without it. The battery life is A+ also. Don't think i will have any issues when i start getting into ultras.

max_505

I've used the 620 for about a year and sold it to get the 230 a couple weeks ago. i'm a marathoner and barely used the advanced features on it. i just need the watch to see my splits during speed workouts/long runs and cadence which is available on most garmin watches. I did spring for the hrm strap so will play with that time to time.

The 230 i really love that u can have 4 things on the screen during runs instead of 3. i haven't gotten to use the estimated time feature yet but looking forward to trying that out during a race. I'll miss the touchscreen but can live without it. The battery life is A+ also. Don't think i will have any issues when i start getting into ultras.

Looks like I mad the right choice. Ordered the 230 a couple of days ago. In the end it came down to those things you listed. The 620's cheaper as of posting but I'm not sure what I'll do with all the advanced features. On the other hand, I like the improved battery life, activity tracker, and smart notifications on the 230. Hopefully I don't run into any problems with the unit since I bought it from Amazon and will ship it to South East Asia (cheaper to do it that way).

Linius

Signed up for the Brooks 10K run in Amsterdam this july. It's on the same day as the half marathon for the European Athletic Championships and it will be on the same course. Some iconic Amsterdam stuff along the way and probably a pretty huge crowd. Quite a unique run and something to look forward to.

Nearly got run down from a rogue car last night, he had decided that turning indicators were optional. I was wearing a highvis top and various reflective surfaces on my clothes and I still nearly got into this nasty accident. So I am just posting to say be careful to all my fellow nighttime runners, sometimes cars just don't care about you at all.

panda-zebra

Nearly got run down from a rogue car last night, he had decided that turning indicators were optional. I was wearing a highvis top and various reflective surfaces on my clothes and I still nearly got into this nasty accident. So I am just posting to say be careful to all my fellow nighttime runners, sometimes cars just don't care about you at all.

I had my first taste of something like this the other day, but not at night, it was mid-afternoon. A careless van driver neglecting to indicate on one of those tricky straight-on-requires-a-signal junctions where the flow of traffic goes around a bend, the straight on is a turn, this as I was mid-way from one pavement to another. As he swerved past, at something I'd guess to be far greater than the 30mph limit, I saw he was holding his mobile phone in his left hand. He scored double arsehole points there.

By the time I'd finished the run I'd forgotten the name on the side, so he escaped my wrath down the phone.

Other than that, my first half-marathon distance run was thoroughly enjoyable, a little slower and easier with more of a smile on my face rather than the usual hurty grimace, hoping to find more opportunities for this kind of run (minus the van bit).

Late edit: I made the parkrun thread I mentioned a bit back, so please drop by and give it a bump if you'd like to spread the word and help fellow GAFfers become RunningGAFfers. Thank you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168383

Zoe

Apparently there's been a string of attacks over the past few months against joggers in my area :(

Technically I run with a group, but I'm so slow that I usually end up by myself. Can't wait until there's more sunlight in the evening again >_<

Apparently there's been a string of attacks over the past few months against joggers in my area :(

Technically I run with a group, but I'm so slow that I usually end up by myself. Can't wait until there's more sunlight in the evening again >_<

wd8UydF.gif

People sometimes, smh

Would someone in your group be open to running at your pace, just in case?

Keep safe Zoe

Top Bottom