• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Apparently there's been a string of attacks over the past few months against joggers in my area :(

Technically I run with a group, but I'm so slow that I usually end up by myself. Can't wait until there's more sunlight in the evening again >_<

That sucks :/. If none of your groupmates are willing to run at your pace, do you have access to a treadmill?

Yes it sucks that it's indoors, but if that's an option I would at least consider it.

....anyhow stay safe!

Gawge

Looking forward to it getting a bit lighter in the evenings soon. I live right next to a big park, but it's too dark in there to run (even with central London light pollution) - so I run around the streets that are around the edge - and there are a few bottleneck points and general annoyances.

Got my Parkrun PB last weekend though - hoping to push on, such a fun way to run.

Zoe

Would someone in your group be open to running at your pace, just in case?

Keep safe Zoe

That sucks :/. If none of your groupmates are willing to run at your pace, do you have access to a treadmill?

Yes it sucks that it's indoors, but if that's an option I would at least consider it.

....anyhow stay safe!

Bf will--I just feel bad about holding back his (or anyone else's) progress, especially when he's supposed to be on a different training plan. I'm sure he's going to insist on it now though.

But thanks, guys! I know not to let my pride get the better of me.

Fistwell

I'm late as hell, but sorry to read that Zoe, be safe!

In other news, I'm slowly getting over tendinitis in my right knee. As a result, been running with my wife, who "kindly" keeps me in check to make sure I don't overdo it (she did punch me a cple of times). Took her to the seaside trail I sometimes go to on long runs, and she took a few pics. I'll shamelessly crosspost a few from the gaf strava group because I think they look very nice.

0fGb.jpg

1fGb.jpg

5fGb.jpg

Hey running GAF. After reaching a peak weight of 311 and at the age of 37 I decided to get into running. I started in earnest last March, and ran my first 5K in late November. I finished in 29:36, which I thought was pretty respectable for a big guy like me and now I want to take it to the next level.

I've dropped 51 pounds, but 260 is still pretty heavy for long distance running. My stamina is still pretty low (I still can't finish 5K on the treadmill without slowing to a walk at least once or twice for about minute at a time). I have been running about an hour, five times a week, and recently have been able to hit an average of just a hair under 6MPH.

I've recently changed my diet in hopes that the weight starts dropping faster, but my question is this... Is it realistic to think that I could work my way up to a half-marathon by September? I was reading that, once you can regularly do 5 mile runs that you are ready to start a twelve week training up to the half. Is that realistic?

I'd appreciate any advice, since I'm a total running novice.

ps. I've signed up for a 7k this March. and 10k in June, but I really would love to complete that half-marathon this year (as well as dropping another 60-80 lbs) in hopes of doing a marthon in 2017.

I'm late as hell, but sorry to read that Zoe, be safe!

In other news, I'm slowly getting over tendinitis in my right knee. As a result, been running with my wife, who "kindly" keeps me in check to make sure I don't overdo it (she did punch me a cple of times). Took her to the seaside trail I sometimes go to on long runs, and she took a few pics. I'll shamelessly crosspost a few from the gaf strava group because I think they look very nice.

Awesome pictures and beautiful route! How's the knee going?

Hey running GAF. After reaching a peak weight of 311 and at the age of 37 I decided to get into running. I started in earnest last March, and ran my first 5K in late November. I finished in 29:36, which I thought was pretty respectable for a big guy like me and now I want to take it to the next level.

I've dropped 51 pounds, but 260 is still pretty heavy for long distance running. My stamina is still pretty low (I still can't finish 5K on the treadmill without slowing to a walk at least once or twice for about minute at a time). I have been running about an hour, five times a week, and recently have been able to hit an average of just a hair under 6MPH.

I've recently changed my diet in hopes that the weight starts dropping faster, but my question is this... Is it realistic to think that I could work my way up to a half-marathon by September? I was reading that, once you can regularly do 5 mile runs that you are ready to start a twelve week training up to the half. Is that realistic?

ps. I've signed up for a 7k this March. and 10k in June, but I really would love to complete that half-marathon this year (as well as dropping another 60-80 lbs) in hopes of doing a marthon in 2017.

Sorry for the late reply. Let me start by saying I'm no expert, so take this with a huge pinch of salt and if you can, talk with someone with scientific knowledge of the subject. I wouldn't want to get you hurt

I think the recommended weight loss/week lies between 1-2 pounds, so that would put you between 231-202. It's on the high side, but with proper training you should be able to do it.

Training plan wise, if your knees and legs feel fine I'd keep up with it with the proper amount of caution (sometimes we have to run less to run more!).

Keep up the good work man!

dakilla13

Awesome man! More than anything, pay attention to your knees and how they are feeling as you lose weight and run more. I think a half is possible, but as long as you're feeling healthy and not expecting a 1:30 time.

Drinks tons of water and make sure to stretch often and properly. I'd suggest foam rolling too. I didn't pay enough attention to my calves training for my marathon and definitely paid the price.

Awesome man! [Snip]

[Snip]
Keep up the good work man!

Thanks for the advice, both of you. Things are improving quite quickly right now. I just hit my goal of running 6 miles under an hour. I have an appointment with my physician where I'm going to bring this up as well, but I'm feeling great right now (realized that I've dropped another 4 lbs since I first wrote).

I'm trying to incorporate slower distance runs at least once a week, but I don't know how slow I should go. I see some people drop their speeds to 4.5-5.0mph, but that seems like I'm not working at all. I'm going to keep on with my current routine for the time being, but once I get 12 weeks out from the half I want to have a solid plan for tempo runs, stamina, and rest days.

I also dropped some coin on a decent pair of running shoes and I've already noticed less soreness in my knees/ankles.

Zoe

Bf and I tried out some complimentary recovery services after our races today ( full for him, half for me). Got a 10 minute dunk in the cold bath and some time with RecoveryPump sleeves.

It felt good afterwards, but we've stiffened up again since then. Waiting to see how it feels tomorrow to see if it's worth paying for.

Was injured but I ran my first organized marathon today:

8d4afcc0-2334-4ac2-a9fc-88619418adba.jpg

Loved it!

You have to give us more than that! This is a very decent time with almost even splits; not much slowdown after 30k, looks like you hit your MP right on. You're clearly serious about running.

What was your race like, your goals, training, previous experiences?

Fistwell

Is everyone injured or is there just not enough sunshine to go around?
I think we just get a lot less activity in the colder months. It'll peak back up in the spring. On my side of things, my knee is still a bit wobbly, and I got a pretty bad flu last week, so I really haven't been running much. These past cple of weeks was the least I've ran in a cple of years. :(

I'm suffering from my worse setback ever. Received diagnostic of hypogonadism this week after 3 months of being unable to shuffle/run more than 20 minutes. I'm happy to know I was not crazy (first test of many that showed I was not in great health) and it's not something worse like hypopituitarism.

This means I'm out of running for an undetermined amount of time. I could be out for weeks, months or years. Return to serious running even longer, if ever.

Worse thing is I can't figure out why it happened. Like any stress induced injury, there is not one specific cause; the condition must have slowly crept in. Probably I started this marathon cycle not enough recovered and had improper nutrition/recovery all summer long. I think I stayed too long at race weight also. I never felt really fresh this summer and was a little slower but it was not that bad, like cannot "complete a workout" bad. I feel the definitive point of no return was my tune-up race then the marathon 4 weeks after. I felt completely empty. I had nothing. I ran the marathon at easy pace, could not force myself to go faster. I've been unable to run after this without feeling intense fatigue and brain fog.

Reading about pregnant elites who stopped completely during pregnancy helps me hope I'll return to form one day. 9 months to 1 year breaks are possible to come back from if your body has a decent base. Then again Ryan Hall retired this year because of hypogonadism.

I long waking up early morning, feeling fresh as ever. Running in the cool breeze with the sunrise. Running effortlessly, floating, the mind at ease, my steps the only sound. It's all I really want.

My libido is non-existent. I gained 10-15h hours of free time per week but I can't do anything because of intense brain fog and fatigue. I have supportive family, girlfriend and friends. I'll live through this. It just sucks right now.

Enjoy your running people.

Nobody-got-time-Meme_zpsf8695ef4.jpg

Not having time for running? Preposterous! :p

I've been keeping to my 3 run/week schedule, trying to make the long runs longer and the normal runs a little bit faster. Also thinking about signing up for a marathon, but I don't want to bit off more than I can chew.

I think we just get a lot less activity in the colder months. It'll peak back up in the spring. On my side of things, my knee is still a bit wobbly, and I got a pretty bad flu last week, so I really haven't been running much. These past cple of weeks was the least I've ran in a cple of years. :(

You'll be back to form in no time, you'll see :)

I'm suffering from my worse setback ever. Received diagnostic of hypogonadism this week after 3 months of being unable to shuffle/run more than 20 minutes. I'm happy to know I was not crazy (first test of many that showed I was not in great health) and it's not something worse like hypopituitarism.

This means I'm out of running for an undetermined amount of time. I could be out for weeks, months or years. Return to serious running even longer, if ever.

Worse thing is I can't figure out why it happened. Like any stress induced injury, there is not one specific cause; the condition must have slowly crept in. Probably I started this marathon cycle not enough recovered and had improper nutrition/recovery all summer long. I think I stayed too long at race weight also. I never felt really fresh this summer and was a little slower but it was not that bad, like cannot "complete a workout" bad. I feel the definitive point of no return was my tune-up race then the marathon 4 weeks after. I felt completely empty. I had nothing. I ran the marathon at easy pace, could not force myself to go faster. I've been unable to run after this without feeling intense fatigue and brain fog.

Reading about pregnant elites who stopped completely during pregnancy helps me hope I'll return to form one day. 9 months to 1 year breaks are possible to come back from if your body has a decent base. Then again Ryan Hall retired this year because of hypogonadism.

I long waking up early morning, feeling fresh as ever. Running in the cool breeze with the sunrise. Running effortlessly, floating, the mind at ease, my steps the only sound. It's all I really want.

My libido is non-existent. I gained 10-15h hours of free time per week but I can't do anything because of intense brain fog and fatigue. I have supportive family, girlfriend and friends. I'll live through this. It just sucks right now.

Enjoy your running people.

Damn :(

I hope everything goes well in your road to recovery.

I did a winter warrior challenge during January and ran at least three miles every day that month but have been taking some time off. Still running a few days a week and trying to ramp up for training season. Also getting back into rock climbing! Wish my gym was closer to me though :(

mdsfx

So my goal of running outside through winter was a success! Really enjoyed the hell out of it too once I had the right gear to keep me warm. Also, eyelash and beard icicles are really fun to come home with when you have kids.

Coldest run: -17°F wind chill
Most dangerous conditions: melting ice & mud

Takeaways: half the fun is having people look at you like you're crazy, don't dress too warm or you'll be in trouble, wool socks are a must, and skip the glasses if you're wearing a balaclava (your hot breath will keep your eyes plenty warm and only fog glasses up!).

Hah, I ran in the snow for the first time today. I was out on a track so it wasn't slippery, but the wind was blowing pretty hard and I came home with ice in my hair. The only thing that really bothered me was my nose and my fingertips. Not too bad overall.

rykomatsu

Need some help...I am really at a loss for building aerobic capacity.

I run (jog?) at a 9-10 min mile pace, but my heart rate is always in the 90-93% of calculated VO2 max. I'm not particularly tired after 5-6 mi, maybe just knees sorta sore, and I feel pretty good at that pace.

To get my heart rate into the 70-80% heart rate zone, I need to be at a 15-17min mile which is just a brisk walk and seems counterintuitive (I have the same problem with cycling and swimming too...excessively high exercise heart rate. Resting heart rate is like 60-65 for me)

Any thoughts? I seem to be plateau'd at 6mph...

xenist

I run (jog?) at a 9-10 min mile pace, but my heart rate is always in the 90-93% of calculated VO2 max. I'm not particularly tired after 5-6 mi, maybe just knees sorta sore, and I feel pretty good at that pace.

To get my heart rate into the 70-80% heart rate zone, I need to be at a 15-17min mile which is just a brisk walk and seems counterintuitive (I have the same problem with cycling and swimming too...excessively high exercise heart rate. Resting heart rate is like 60-65 for me)

Run slower but longer. Slower than what you think slow is. Slow enough to be able to make conversation without difficulty. The huge majority of your distance should be at a very easy pace. Running all the time near VO2 max is a recipe for disaster.

Zoe

Run slower but longer. Slower than what you think slow is. Slow enough to be able to make conversation without difficulty. The huge majority of your distance should be at a very easy pace. Running all the time near VO2 max is a recipe for disaster.

Well if he's running for 5-6 miles, he's already out there for a fairly long time...

I'm in the same boat though and haven't seen any improvement over the past couple of years. I'm going to try adding LISS activities (probably bike) on my off days.

Fistwell

Yeah that's weird. How have you estimated your max HR? Is your HR monitor good? I've seen variations on myself of up to 20-30BPM at similar levels of exertion depending on the HRM. Have you cross checked with a cple of different ones? What happens if you do a speed workout? What's your general level of fitness? Did you talk to a physician about your elevated exercise HR?

10min/mile ~6m15s/Km is a not a bad pace, I know a guy that runs 3h30m marathons (5m/Km) that runs his long run at 6min/Km. That's around where my wife is for tempo runs as well. How long have you been running?

rykomatsu

Yeah that's weird. How have you estimated your max HR? Is your HR monitor good? I've seen variations on myself of up to 20-30BPM at similar levels of exertion depending on the HRM. Have you cross checked with a cple of different ones? What happens if you do a speed workout? What's your general level of fitness? Did you talk to a physician about your elevated exercise HR?

10min/mile ~6m15s/Km is a not a bad pace, I know a guy that runs 3h30m marathons (5m/Km) that runs his long run at 6min/Km. That's around where my wife is for tempo runs as well. How long have you been running?

Thanks for the reply!

I based it off of some estimation I did with cycling -

warm up for 15 min, goto a steady climb increasing while in the saddle every minute on the minute, then get out of the saddle for 15 seconds and check for peak heart rate.

The HRM is pretty close with measuring my pulse manually - it's a strap based one, not a fitbit, so it should be fairly accurate.

I mentioned it in passing to my physician a while ago, but if my resting heart rate is normal, I'm not really considered to have tachycardia so she wasn't too worried. I started running on-and-off about 1 year ago and much more regularly about 8 months ago, though only about 1-2 miles max for the most part. I bumped it up to 5-7 miles 2x/week about 2 months ago so I can start getting used to olympic triathlon distances. Admittedly, I haven't done any specific training except run at a pace where I can maintain a conversation just barely.

Level of fitness - I can swim about 1 mile without feeling tired afterwards at a 2min to 3min 100m pace with breaks every 500m, and do a sprint length duathlon (20km bike, 5km run) also without feeling tired afterwards...not terribly fast mind you, but I could probably maintain pace for 40km bike and 10km run as well judging by how I feel afterwards. I lift 3 days a week, run/bike 2 days a week (combined), and swim once every week to every other week.

Fistwell

Thanks for the reply!

I based it off of some estimation I did with cycling -

warm up for 15 min, goto a steady climb increasing while in the saddle every minute on the minute, then get out of the saddle for 15 seconds and check for peak heart rate.

The HRM is pretty close with measuring my pulse manually - it's a strap based one, not a fitbit, so it should be fairly accurate.

I mentioned it in passing to my physician a while ago, but if my resting heart rate is normal, I'm not really considered to have tachycardia so she wasn't too worried. I started running on-and-off about 1 year ago and much more regularly about 8 months ago, though only about 1-2 miles max for the most part. I bumped it up to 5-7 miles 2x/week about 2 months ago so I can start getting used to olympic triathlon distances. Admittedly, I haven't done any specific training except run at a pace where I can maintain a conversation just barely.

Level of fitness - I can swim about 1 mile without feeling tired afterwards at a 2min to 3min 100m pace with breaks every 500m, and do a sprint length duathlon (20km bike, 5km run) also without feeling tired afterwards...not terribly fast mind you, but I could probably maintain pace for 40km bike and 10km run as well judging by how I feel afterwards. I lift 3 days a week, run/bike 2 days a week (combined), and swim once every week to every other week.
Yeah I know very little of cycling or swimming. I still wouldn't be shocked if you underestimated your max HR a bit and if your HRM overestimates things a bit too. If I were you I'd get to a track, do a speed workout and see what happens to your HR (don't push TOO hard, don't want your death on my conscience ;) ). There are pyramid workouts designed to push your HR to the max, but I don't think you necessarily need to worry with something too specific. Any solid series of short intervals (e.g. 30s fast, 30s slow, 6 to 8 reps, slow as slow as you want, fast as fast as you can while maintaining the same pace for all fast reps) should shoot your HR way, way, way beyond what it is at a pace that feels like jogging to you.

But yeah, that's only to dble check on your max HR. Anaerobic work doesnt necessarily do all that much to your aerobic capacities (warning: you'll read anything and everything online, this is just my opinion based on what I read and personal experience). It certainly helps a bit, but aerobic capacities improve most from aerobic work, long runs and tempo runs. Can't really tell what would work best for you specifically, but a mix of tempo, long easy, and long runs with tempo segments is generally a decent mix.

Going back to "fitness level," I was trying to ask how heavy you were (while trying not to come across as too nosy). The more weight (fat or muscle) you carry, the more taxing it is to run, to state the obvious. Elevated HR while running would be less surprising for a heavy build (I see you do lift 3 times a week) rather than for a slighter build.

Let us know if you need help figuring out tempo or fast rep paces. There are online calculators that'll give you a rough idea based on your best times on particular distances (see here or there). Also, don't get discouraged! You haven't been running for all that long and 6min/Km is already a respectable pace at that stage in your running life. Also remember that improvements don't happen on a regular schedule, you'll often plateau for a while before suddenly breaking through.

rykomatsu

Going back to "fitness level," I was trying to ask how heavy you were (while trying not to come across as too nosy). The more weight (fat or muscle) you carry, the more taxing it is to run, to state the obvious. Elevated HR while running would be less surprising for a heavy build (I see you do lift 3 times a week) rather than for a slighter build.

Let us know if you need help figuring out tempo or fast rep paces. There are online calculators that'll give you a rough idea based on your best times on particular distances (see here or there). Also, don't get discouraged! You haven't been running for all that long and 6min/Km is already a respectable pace at that stage in your running life. Also remember that improvements don't happen on a regular schedule, you'll often plateau for a while before suddenly breaking through.

Thanks for all the feedback - I'm 5'7", 158lb (on a good day, up to 164 on a bad day), approximately 20-24% body fat based on electrical impedance (I know, not accurate...haven't had a chance to do a DEXA scan...)

I'll look into more detail regarding improving running after this weekend. I have a sprint triathlon this weekend, so I don't really want to mix things up this week.

My next one is in either 8 weeks (olympic length @ Wildflower w/ 10k run) or 13 weeks (olympic length @ Pacific Grove w/ 10k run). Do you think there's enough time to make a reasonable improvement? Since I've been going at it haphazardly, I'm not sure what to really expect regarding improvement in a relatively short period of time. 13 weeks seems more reasonable to start making improvements, so I'm not too confident I'd be ready for Wildflower (arguably one of the tougher tri races) at 8 weeks...

Fistwell

Thanks for all the feedback - I'm 5'7", 158lb (on a good day, up to 164 on a bad day), approximately 20-24% body fat based on electrical impedance (I know, not accurate...haven't had a chance to do a DEXA scan...)
Yeah so, nothing that'd explain a high heart rate.

I'll look into more detail regarding improving running after this weekend. I have a sprint triathlon this weekend, so I don't really want to mix things up this week.

My next one is in either 8 weeks (olympic length @ Wildflower w/ 10k run) or 13 weeks (olympic length @ Pacific Grove w/ 10k run). Do you think there's enough time to make a reasonable improvement? Since I've been going at it haphazardly, I'm not sure what to really expect regarding improvement in a relatively short period of time. 13 weeks seems more reasonable to start making improvements, so I'm not too confident I'd be ready for Wildflower (arguably one of the tougher tri races) at 8 weeks...
Too many variables there to be able to answer. Depends on what you would consider "reasonable improvement." If that means for example going from 6min/Km over 10K to 5:30, well... depends. Depends how well you train, your natural aptitude, etc. Typical training plans are 12 to 16 weeks, so, yeah, 13 weeks sounds like enough to make a dent, while 8 weeks might be a bit short. But again, that depends on a lot of variables. In particular how good (well adapted to you and your objectives) your training plan is, and how diligent you are in following it.

panda-zebra

I have a heart rate query. My resting heart rate is ~60 BPM. If I run hard I have pushed it to the 190s, but today it maxed out at 230 which seemed really high. I ran the same route as a week ago at the same pace but the BPM was around 50 BPM higher at times. Only thing different is I have a very physically demanding week of work behind me and picked up a few random injuries that my kind of work always helps provide (bruised ribs, smashed hand (unable to make a fist), various bumps and scrapes) I also did a fairly hard little ride on my single-speed bike yesterday leaving my thighs super tired.

Is 230 BPM just flat out bad? Do random injuries somehow affect heart rate to this extent? I'm still new to all this and I'm just looking for possible reasons (and reassurance :)

Fistwell

Is 230 BPM just flat out bad? Do random injuries somehow affect heart rate to this extent? I'm still new to all this and I'm just looking for possible reasons (and reassurance :)
230BPM would be worrying, but I think it's infinitely more probable your HRM monitor fucked it up rather than you actually hit 230. General physical fatigue or stress on the body does tend to make the HR rise beyond what it usually is. Get some rest and you'll be fine. If your heart rate stays weirdly high for like a week, I'd start freaking out a bit, but just this one time, and with external factors tiring you up... in those circumstances a high heart rate while running is totes normal (although not a healthy sign, and 230 would be pretty bananas, but I'd bet money you were barely above 200).

To what extent fatigue affects HR... depends on many factors. I've had it 30 to 40BPM above where it should be a few times (160 when I was warming up and should have been 130, 190 at semi pace when it should have been 150-160ish).

rykomatsu

Dumb question, but when is a max heart rate considered 100% versus 100+%.

Previously my max heart rate was 187bpm which I'd been using as 100%, but I hit 193bpm during a 10k trail run today for about 20-30 seconds.

Using 193bpm as basis for 100% heart rate, my previous trainings become more lactate threshold / aerobic versus anaerobic.

Dumb question, but when is a max heart rate considered 100% versus 100+%.

Previously my max heart rate was 187bpm which I'd been using as 100%, but I hit 193bpm during a 10k trail run today for about 20-30 seconds.

Using 193bpm as basis for 100% heart rate, my previous trainings become more lactate threshold / aerobic versus anaerobic.

As far as I know, if you hit 193bpm during your activity then that new value is essentially your new max heart rate. Bear in mind the precision your heart rate monitor has, as the difference in values might just be random errors associated with any measure. If you want to have a solid value for your max HR you could try getting a test done under medical supervision (since it involves very high intensity exercise).

In other news, I ran my first marathon yesterday: La Marató de Barcelona! It was a great experience that I hope to repeat next year :D

rykomatsu

Bear in mind the precision your heart rate monitor has, as the difference in values might just be random errors associated with any measure.

You mean accuracy? I'd rather have a wide spread of readings which average to close to the true heart rate value rather than really tight readings which are globally way off. I think my HRM spec is 99.5% accuracy compared to an EKG.

That said, it averages over 1 minute so even if there were spurious measurements, I would guess the effect was negligible.

On another note, my legs were wrecked today...DOMS after Saturday's 10k trail run race...the mud was really bad :(

Goodlife

Got an odd one.

Did a half marathon (my first time I've ever run that distance) last weekend (so 9 days ago)
My training in the run up was rubbish due to a variety of reasons so took it slow and was feeling fine until the last couple of km, where I really struggled. But still, finished it, 2.07 which I was fairly happy with given where I was with training.

Few aches and pains the next day or so, but nothing unexpected.

But last day or so my knee has really started to flair up (have had cartilage problems with my knee's in the past, had 4 operations on them in total)
Now it's really bad, swollen, struggling to bend it.

Anyone else suffer with this kind of delayed injury?

I've ran about somewhere in the region of eight or nine half marathons and it isn't uncommon for me to get delayed injures after competing them. Usually after a day or two my muscles will clamps up and make it tough to move around. This usually goes in time although I do recommend seeing someone with your case, especially given your previous knee operations. It is very likely nothing to worry about and will fade shortly but better safe then sorry.

Congratulations on finishing the race anyway, you should be very proud of that time.

Got an odd one.

Did a half marathon (my first time I've ever run that distance) last weekend (so 9 days ago)
My training in the run up was rubbish due to a variety of reasons so took it slow and was feeling fine until the last couple of km, where I really struggled. But still, finished it, 2.07 which I was fairly happy with given where I was with training.

Few aches and pains the next day or so, but nothing unexpected.

But last day or so my knee has really started to flair up (have had cartilage problems with my knee's in the past, had 4 operations on them in total)
Now it's really bad, swollen, struggling to bend it.

Anyone else suffer with this kind of delayed injury?

Considering you have an history with your knee, several operations no less, I would consult with a doctor or sport physiotherapist if you don't see it getting better in a couple of days. A flare up means you went over your body regeneration capabilities and it has to create inflammation to help the process or something will break/already broke.

Usually with injuries these are the rough guidelines to follow:
  1. If it does not get worse while running you can run but no workouts. Consider decreasing distances until ok.
  2. If it does get worse while running, take some time off and try again.
  3. If you can't manage to run, time off. Consider consulting if it does not get better.
A physiotherapist can help figure out if there is a particular reason for the injury (like lack of glutes) or if some exercices can help in recovery (excentric heel drops are amazing in case of Achilles tendinitis). Most of time it's only overuse and lack of recovery though.

Again, the above guidelines don't apply in your case. Go straight to the doc if a couple days of rest does not help; you have a known history with your knee. It's better to be safe than sorry with cartilages or tendons. Tendons heal very slowly. Cartilages are even worse, sometimes they cannot heal at all.

Goodlife

Considering you have an history with your knee, several operations no less, I would consult with a doctor or sport physiotherapist if you don't see it getting better in a couple of days. A flare up means you went over your body regeneration capabilities and it has to create inflammation to help the process or something will break/already broke.

Usually with injuries these are the rough guidelines to follow:
  1. If it does not get worse while running you can run but no workouts. Consider decreasing distances until ok.
  2. If it does get worse while running, take some time off and try again.
  3. If you can't manage to run, time off. Consider consulting if it does not get better.
A physiotherapist can help figure out if there is a particular reason for the injury (like lack of glutes) or if some exercices can help in recovery (excentric heel drops are amazing in case of Achilles tendinitis). Most of time it's only overuse and lack of recovery though.

Again, in your case go straight to the doc if a couple days of rest does not help, you have a known history with your knee. It's better to be safe than sorry with cartilages or tendons. Tendons heal very slowly. Cartilages are even worse, sometimes they cannot heal at all.

Thank you very much for that :)

mdsfx

I have pain on the outer edge of my feet (and slightly on the bottom side), between my heel and the ball of my feet. Would a narrow shoe do this?

rykomatsu

I think I had a breakthrough moment this week...

Increased cadence from 150 spm to about 200 spm, dropped stride length...heart rate came down a bit but my mile time went from a 9:00-10:00min mile to a 7:20min mile.

I felt like I was wadling a bit, but I guess it must have been a fast waddle - felt a little awkward, but hey, I'll take a 2-3min faster time :)

mdsfx

How do you guys deal with missing races due to injury? I have so much riding on my races psychologically that I'm devastated if I can't run them for any reason. Seems unhealthy and it often leads me to running injured, putting myself at risk.

Fistwell

How do you guys deal with missing races due to injury? I have so much riding on my races psychologically that I'm devastated if I can't run them for any reason. Seems unhealthy and it often leads me to running injured, putting myself at risk.
Dude, don't race injured. Get a physician to look at your foot, get them to tell you how bad you'll have it if you race on it. I understand the eagerness, but some (medical) perspective might help you put a damper on it. In any case, best of luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Edit: reasons to not race injured:
- it'll fucking hurt,
- you'll do a shitty time and feel bad,
- you'll fucking hurt yourself and take longer to come back than if you pull the plug now.

mdsfx

Dude, don't race injured. Get a physician to look at your foot, get them to tell you how bad you'll have it if you race on it. I understand the eagerness, but some (medical) perspective might help you put a damper on it. In any case, best of luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks. I have an appointment today. Fingers crossed I guess!

panda-zebra

I think I had a breakthrough moment this week...

Increased cadence from 150 spm to about 200 spm, dropped stride length...heart rate came down a bit but my mile time went from a 9:00-10:00min mile to a 7:20min mile.

I felt like I was wadling a bit, but I guess it must have been a fast waddle - felt a little awkward, but hey, I'll take a 2-3min faster time :)

I enjoyed this video recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWPwVF30yo

Comparing technique between shorter/driftier runners and more springy/stridey ones.

I don't pretend to understand too much of it (or even care too much tbh), I just found it interesting how differently some people run.

Running gaf, whats the max one should run a week? I've set myself on the runtastic app, and it says I need a minimum of 18 miles a week to make it by the end of the year. Is that too much or too little?

mdsfx

Edit: reasons to not race injured:
- it'll fucking hurt,
- you'll do a shitty time and feel bad,
- you'll fucking hurt yourself and take longer to come back than if you pull the plug now.

X-ray revealed no fractures, but I'm taking my docs advice (and yours). Skipping this race, as hard as it is on me. Damn. Was SO freakin ready to destroy last year's time. Next year...

Top Bottom