• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

theaface

I'm running the London Marathon on the 24th which will be my third and probably final one (previous were in 2011 and 2012). Maybe it's just me, but the niggles, injuries and recovery time have become far more prominent in the 4 year gap since my last.

My recent training has been plagued by a recurring knee inflammation injury which kept creeping in at 9+ miles. So today, with 12 days left I miraculously managed 19 miles without any problems. I'm well aware I should be firmly into my taper by now (and after today I really will be) but I felt that I NEEDED that big run under my belt otherwise my confidence would have been rock bottom going into race day.

Going to have some physio tomorrow, just for a bit of a 'tune up' and hopefully I can look forward to an enjoyable, injury-free race day. The blips in my training has meant that my focus on time has gone out the window, so I suppose it's a blessing that that burden is out of my head.

Oh and I'll be running the marathon dress as the Flash, just because.

I'm running the London Marathon on the 24th which will be my third and probably final one (previous were in 2011 and 2012). Maybe it's just me, but the niggles, injuries and recovery time have become far more prominent in the 4 year gap since my last.

My recent training has been plagued by a recurring knee inflammation injury which kept creeping in at 9+ miles. So today, with 12 days left I miraculously managed 19 miles without any problems. I'm well aware I should be firmly into my taper by now (and after today I really will be) but I felt that I NEEDED that big run under my belt otherwise my confidence would have been rock bottom going into race day.

Going to have some physio tomorrow, just for a bit of a 'tune up' and hopefully I can look forward to an enjoyable, injury-free race day. The blips in my training has meant that my focus on time has gone out the window, so I suppose it's a blessing that that burden is out of my head.

Oh and I'll be running the marathon dress as the Flash, just because.

NICE!!!

Ended up doing the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in DC yesterday morning. 30 mph winds reminded me of the start of NYC marathon in 2014. Decided not to run brave. Just controlled effort where i'm not breathing hard at all. 4 minute PR from my last 10 miler 2 years ago. Ended up getting a fist bump from Meb at the finish line which was a nice surprise

9iR5TKv.jpg

6.5 minute mile pace over a 10 k

I....I can't.

didn't know there was a running thread. guess there's a thread for everything.

wanted to chime in i signed up for my first marathon (first anything really lol)because why not. http://www.thelouisianamarathon.com/marathon/

Since this is my first. i kinda want to know what exactly do you guys bring to the run.

and some do's and don'ts you learned from experience.

i'm sure i'll ask more questions in the future lol

i should mention my running experience. i used to run when i was trying to lose weight but never really considered it for any event. i ran with a friend but i had to pace with her (she has short legs) so it was more like speed walking for me.

KiKaL

For a marathon? I bring 5 gels, salt pills and I wear a hydration system. I am in the minority on the hydration system but I am used to it since I do more trail races than road where you have to bring your own water. I also hate slowing down at water stations since there can be slight traffic jams.

If you decide to use gels, I recommend using some during your longer training runs to make sure your body processes them well. The last thing you want is an upset stomach on race day.

Zoe

One gel pack for every 45 minutes is a good rule of thumb. And gels will go down faster than anything you have to chew.

didn't know there was a running thread. guess there's a thread for everything.

wanted to chime in i signed up for my first marathon (first anything really lol)because why not. http://www.thelouisianamarathon.com/marathon/

Since this is my first. i kinda want to know what exactly do you guys bring to the run.

and some do's and don'ts you learned from experience.

i'm sure i'll ask more questions in the future lol

i should mention my running experience. i used to run when i was trying to lose weight but never really considered it for any event. i ran with a friend but i had to pace with her (she has short legs) so it was more like speed walking for me.

Start running now. If you want to have a good experience and feel good about your effort (not just complete the event and walk) get used to run every day. Or at very least 5 days a week + some cross training.

Never try anything new on race day.

The race is in January 2017? This is way too far for you to worry about race day fuel. You'll have time to try stuff during your long runs next fall. Right now you need to establish your running base. This is the very core of your aerobic engine. All your training depends on it. You can only get as fit as your base can support it. Increase your capillary sizes, produce more mitochondria, strengthen your muscles, bones and tendons enough to withstand 42k. This is done simply by running an easy pace.

So start running and ramp up until you feel comfortable running everyday, at least 1h. Keep it easy. The more the better (but don't go over 2h a day) but don't try to ramp up too fast if you don't feel confortable. Once you're there you can start doing more specific workouts or look at cookie cutter training plans.

You don't need gels now. You don't need anything but running shoes, shorts and a stopwatch. Just run.

KiKaL

I like GU and Stingers. Those are basically the only two I have tried though but they worked for me so just stuck with them.

edit - How wow just saw your race is in January. Yeah the above poster is definitely right. You really don't need to worry about that kind of stuff quite yet. The biggest thing you need to worry about since the race is so far out is not burning yourself out. You have plenty of time to ramp up your miles to a marathon level so make sure to ease into it and listen to your body. Just get used to running consistently and don't push yourself too hard.

mdsfx

If you want to have a good experience and feel good about your effort (not just complete the event and walk) get used to run every day. Or at very least 5 days a week + some cross training.

I'm not sure this is sound advice only because I think that's a good way to get overuse injuries. Maybe you can do it, but the few serious runners i know (under 7 min marathon pace) run 3-4 times per week max and find other ways to maintain (cycling, swimming, etc) without the pounding on their body every day.

In my own humble opinion, rest is important, especially for a new runner. Also, don't forget the 10% rule. Gradual increases in mileage, intensity, and frequency are best.

Rest is very important yes. You get better during rest. Active recovery is rest.

With training, you can develop a pace very slow but still natural a which running 30 minutes feels like rest, no effort at all. I mean really super easy, so slow you have to restrain yourself to keep running that slow. This is called recovery pace. You actually recover faster than taking a day off at this pace because you increase blood flow to the muscles.

You can do this with cross-training. But cross-training is no perfect substitute to running. Specificity is one of the basic principle of training.

There is no reason someone in somewhat decent shape who wants to prepare for a long distance event cannot run 30 minutes daily at this pace.

Obviously I'm not suggesting he should jump to this right now. What I meant is he should gradually ease into running every day and get used to it eventually (he has almost a year of buildup). He should feel like he could do it if he wanted, not necessarily do it. He has to get used to running a lot and listening to the response of his body. That's all there is to it really when you are starting.

Everyone is different with different goals and the most important thing is to find a schedule that fits yourself. Good for your acquaintances if this means running 3-4 times a week. However it is not optimal if their goal is to maximize their running potential. They are probably more rounded athletes (triathlon?) and they do have lower risk of injuries.

mdsfx

Ah ok, i guess i misunderstood a bit. Recover runs/exercise are certainly helpful.

I was also speaking from experience as a fairly new runner (started Jan. 2015) who went through my share of injuries as my body adapted to running. Obviously, everyone is different. Plus, I'm 33 so although I'm not old, I'm no longer indestructible :)

As far as cross-training, the best I've found (for me) to be a fairly good replacement for running is cycling, often on a stationary recumbent bike. I do so at about the same cadence/steps per minute that I run, using a resistance that gets my heart range close to where it is during my runs. It's even helped my running improve when it comes to stamina because of how much longer the leg muscles are firing while your cycling compared to when running. Not saying it works for everyone, but it helps me a lot, especially for recovery.

panda-zebra

So what is everyone's running goals for this year?

Stay fit and do as much as possible (massive conflict for a newbie like me!)

I did the too-much-too-soon thing and spent about 3 or 4 weeks unable to do anything useful with shin splints issues, followed by a few more feeling meh and unconfident. I'm now, hopefully, getting on top of that one - specific exercises several times a day and increasing the amount of time or reps for each gradually. I also switched to more roomy zero drop shoes, those -really- help with the shin splints and as I'm new to all this have not really required much transitioning at all, if anything it was those damn spongy high-heeled Brooks I was transitioning -into- compared to my regular footwear that helped get me injured in the first place AFAIC.

I seem to have signed up to quite a few races. Starting tomorrow (and umm, yeah, that'll be 4 days since I had two operations at the local hospital under general anaesthetic coming out taking 60mg of codeine 4 times a day) I have my first real race, a local trail 10k, going to take it very easy. That's followed by a paved 10k next week and a hilly Keswick half the week after. I've joined a 6-person team for endure24 - 24 hour camping and running, should be fun! Round Sheffield Run is an odd one, 11 timed stages of 20k total,with a little walk/rest between each adding on a further 4.5k. So 11 sprints then! Rivington trail half is a popular race on my doorstep but I'll have to take it easy as the week after it's my first marathon - York. And there's a very remote trail half up in the hills of the North East somewhere, I can't even remember the name of it, but it looked pretty nice when I signed up. Right at the end of the year there's a winter trail half I have my eye on as well but cannot book that one yet as it's not open. Basically I just want to enter as many events as I can and try to meet up with members of the Vegan Runners UK club I joined.

And of course, every single free Saturday I have, I'll be at the local parkrun at 9am for a free 5k, been volunteering quite a bit there as well recently, great community to be a part of.

Remember, if you GAF and run, strava is the place to share!

Was going to run at the park but apparently there's an event going on. Ended up just hitting the gym. Should have checked website for first. Oh well

Ploppee

Hey runGAF!

So I'm still fairly new to this running thing and I just needed some general advise.
I've been running around 3-4 times a week since November last year. A mix of road and treadmill, I also use the rower and bike machine at the gym (this is around two of the 3-4 times a week).
I started mainly to lose weight as I was quite overweight and I quit smoking on Christmas day 2015.
The problem is I don't feel like I'm improving quite as much as I should be. I'm down to a good weight now and can run a consistent 5k at a 6min pace. I've signed up for a half marathon in January next year and want to make sure I can run it in a decent time.
Any tips for keeping a good pace and really extending my distance?

Thanks guys 😊

What are you guys opinion on vibram?

Not for long term running. I was always faster barefoot. Just want to try them. Out.

Right now I'm using UA speedform vent.

Not for long term running. I was always faster barefoot. Just want to try them. Out.

Are the UA minimalist shoes or more traditional? If you want to try a minimalist shoe I'd recommend you go really (and I mean really) easy at first if you aren't used to them.

For strength training at the gym I use a pair of Merrell Vapor Glove 2 (it's like wearing nothing at all), and last week I decided to try them out at the treadmill (for reference, my running shoes are Sacouny's Kinvara 5), at a normal-fast pace.

Big Mistake. After 10 minutes of running the bottom of my feet hurt quite a bit and I just knew from the pain I was going to see two blisters when I got home. And there they were, at the ball of my feet.

So don't do what I did and use your head :)

Hey runGAF!

So I'm still fairly new to this running thing and I just needed some general advise.
I've been running around 3-4 times a week since November last year. A mix of road and treadmill, I also use the rower and bike machine at the gym (this is around two of the 3-4 times a week).
I started mainly to lose weight as I was quite overweight and I quit smoking on Christmas day 2015.
The problem is I don't feel like I'm improving quite as much as I should be. I'm down to a good weight now and can run a consistent 5k at a 6min pace. I've signed up for a half marathon in January next year and want to make sure I can run it in a decent time.

Thanks guys 😊

If you are comfortable with the amount you run each week, I'd say you could try extending your runs a little bit and see how your body responds. This is a nice post by slow-twitch discussing mileage increase.

Hey runGAF!

Thanks guys ��

What is your weekly mileage?
What is your target decent time for the half?

At your level, the most effective thing you can do to get faster is to run more.

The only two workouts I would suggest during base phase for a beginner are:

• Tempo: Run "comfortably hard" for 20 minutes once a week at max with 10 minutes warmup and cooldown. You must have gas left in the tank after but it must not be easy pace. Don't try to beat your time on subsequent weeks. This is the bread and butter workout of modern long distance training.
  • Strides: This is a mechanical workout. Short sprints over 100m. You accelerate to max speed then hold it. You have to feel comfortable when you run. 5-10 repeats. You can do this a couple of time a week. You can do them after a run, during a run, whenever. You can do this running uphill too. This is good to get your body to recruit new muscles to your running effort and become more efficient at running faster.
Good job on the weight loss.

They are a useless gimmick.

Minimalism running shoes has some values, after all most racers (shoes used in competition) are pretty minimalist.

However beside that it's complete bollocks. It's mostly the natural fallacy applied to running to sell shoes and inspirational books like Born to Run. Minimalist shoes do nothing to help performance or prevent injuries other than weighing less.

That gimmick is mostly over. Now the popular fad is maximalist shoes like Hoka One One.

That being said, there's nothing wrong in enjoying gimmicks.

You got that sub 3 locked up for sure now. :)

rykomatsu

I did my first Olympic Triathlon today...1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run. The swim and bike portions sent as expected, but the run was rough. Normally run a 9-10min mile on 10k, but was at 11+min today...worst in my age group :( Not sure if I was bonking or not. I think I had consumed about 100 calories pre-race, and 200 during. I gave my second / last gel on my run to someone who was cramping since it had sodium in it. Not sure if the pre-race/during-race nutrition contributed, but a little disappointed.

Looks like I'll need to reevaluate my training regimen for the run as well. Still, a really fun race.

HUELEN10

I swear by them, but you absolutely have to not overdo it. Barefoot and minimalistic running is great for you and your back and body, but the movement from a regular shoe and the gait is completely different. I would NOT recommend vibrams to anyone not willing to learn how to properly run in them, as you could really hurt yourself. pace yourself well though, and they will be a great friend and the most comfortable shoes you could have.

Also, don't bother with socks with them.

Other than the Vibram EL-X and the Bikila, I only run in Xero Shoes or my bare feet.

Cyan

Banned
I tried out Vibrams for a while, including changing my gait etc. They fucked up my feet pretty bad. Definitely be very careful if trying them out.

HUELEN10

It helps if you actually start of completely barefoot and build muscle, get used to the gait, and toughen up your soles.

Took me 30 minutes just to get my legs to not feel heavy. Hopefully it gets better
Idk how much of a difference running outside will be but did like 4 miles in 52:12 on the treadmill. Might try running the neighborhood this weekend so I can have a starting point to work with for that one

Zoe

Took me 30 minutes just to get my legs to not feel heavy. Hopefully it gets better
Idk how much of a difference running outside will be but did like 4 miles in 52:12 on the treadmill. Might try running the neighborhood this weekend so I can have a starting point to work with for that one

Try putting the treadmill on a level 1 incline.

mdsfx

Honestly, I began to hate treadmills as I ran outside more. I'm more prone to injury on them, nothing every feels right, and my times are faster outside. I know it makes little sense, but I have had a hard time with them.

Matticers

This might be a stupid/common question but I'm not sure where else to ask it. But does anyone have good recommendations for stores that will get you fitted with some good running sneakers? I know how much that can affect how you feel when you're running and I doubt I can just waltz into a place like foot locker and have them help me out. But I wasn't sure if there were any places that specialize in that sort of thing. I'm not sure what my running style is though. As in what part of my feet I'm landing on the most. But any suggestions would help otherwise I'll just buy a random pair of Nike's like I always do.

Cyan

Banned
This might be a stupid/common question but I'm not sure where else to ask it. But does anyone have good recommendations for stores that will get you fitted with some good running sneakers? I know how much that can affect how you feel when you're running and I doubt I can just waltz into a place like foot locker and have them help me out. But I wasn't sure if there were any places that specialize in that sort of thing. I'm not sure what my running style is though. As in what part of my feet I'm landing on the most. But any suggestions would help otherwise I'll just buy a random pair of Nike's like I always do.

Really any specialty running store should be able to help you out. Just tell them the above, that you're not sure about your running style and what kind of shoe you need, and most places are happy to help.

m3k

Yoooooo.... My Nike plus watch just stopped being recognized by the computer, I think the sub connectors are damaged. Anyone recommend a replacement for running that they like?

I just checked the Nike store and it seems the same as the one I bought about 5 years ago. I currently have a Samsung s6 if that matters

Fistwell

Yoooooo.... My Nike plus watch just stopped being recognized by the computer, I think the sub connectors are damaged. Anyone recommend a replacement for running that they like?

I just checked the Nike store and it seems the same as the one I bought about 5 years ago. I currently have a Samsung s6 if that matters
Mine died about 6 months ago, broke my heart, I loved that dumb thing. Bought a garmin 620 that I started out hating (looks goofy af) but now I'm ok with it. It's got lots of options the nike+ didn't have and I use none of them. One neat thing though is that GPS files are out in the clear, you can upload them to whatever tracking website and not just to the garmin one.

Maybe a bit much but i just purchased the Fenix 3 and i'm never going back.

I just love all the options and it's a great watch overall.

Upload to whatever tracking app you are using.

They stopped making watches a few years ago. i run with the nike run club here in nyc and all the pacers thought the watch was junk and they all eventually switched over to Garmin's when Nike phased them out. Low end for < $100 i would recommend the Garmin Forerunner 10. Mid range i would get the Forerunner 230(what i currently use) for $250. U could also get the Forerunner 235 for about $330 if u need the built in heart rate monitor. High end it's the Forerunner 630 for $400. That model is touch screen and has all the bells and whistles. Garmin can sync over to Nike+ so u wouldn't lose anything if u were active with the Nike Running App

crispyben

So, I've been unable to run for the past weeks/months due to a muscular injury that led to the discovery of a slight pelvic imbalance. It will be partly corrected with a new pair of orthopedic soles, stretches and core strenght exercises, but the doctor also advised me to ditch my pair of Supernova Glide 7 and Adidas in general. Knowing that I am male, 5'94"/181cm tall, weigh 133lbs/60kg and run 2/3 times a week with distance sometimes over 20K, and that he recommended (in order) New Balance/Mizuno/Asics/Brooks/Saucony, got any advice/experience to share? I'll be hitting the shops too, of course. Can't wait to get back to it!

I ran 53 laps around a track...god it was mind numbingly boring...

I feel you.

I once trained in winter for a marathon by running my long runs on an inside track. Not an official 400m one but a 150m track with corners too sharp and just wide enough for two people in a crappy gym.
I did 200 or so laps every week. It was that or running outside at -20C on ice.

It's part very soothing and part insanity inducing. It's so easy to lose count of your laps. You can't really lose yourself in your thoughts because you have to turn a corner or pass someone every 10 seconds. So you end up repeating your lap count in your head all the time or calculating your current pace. I developed very good mental calculation skills.

After a run my mind would be completely blank for a while. It felt like a 2h session of meditation.

Plus there was a bakery right next door so the track would smell like fresh bread all the time. I never was more hungry in my life than after my runs there.

Despite everything, it was less boring than the treadmill.

Ploppee

What is your weekly mileage?
What is your target decent time for the half?

At your level, the most effective thing you can do to get faster is to run more.

The only two workouts I would suggest during base phase for a beginner are:

• Tempo: Run "comfortably hard" for 20 minutes once a week at max with 10 minutes warmup and cooldown. You must have gas left in the tank after but it must not be easy pace. Don't try to beat your time on subsequent weeks. This is the bread and butter workout of modern long distance training.
  • Strides: This is a mechanical workout. Short sprints over 100m. You accelerate to max speed then hold it. You have to feel comfortable when you run. 5-10 repeats. You can do this a couple of time a week. You can do them after a run, during a run, whenever. You can do this running uphill too. This is good to get your body to recruit new muscles to your running effort and become more efficient at running faster.
Good job on the weight loss.

Hey thanks for the reply!

I run 5k every other day mostly (I have to miss it sometimes due to work unfortunately).

Ok great I'll try the tempo run and strides workout, hopefully I see some improvement soon. :)

Honestly losing this weight and starting running has been one of the best things I've ever done.

I've also been thinking of changing my shoes from Nike Lunarglides to the Nike Free's as I like the idea of a less 'clunky' (for lack of a better word) shoe. Anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions?

Honestly losing this weight and starting running has been one of the best things I've ever done.

I've also been thinking of changing my shoes from Nike Lunarglides to the Nike Free's as I like the idea of a less 'clunky' (for lack of a better word) shoe. Anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions?

Yeah, running is one of the most effective keystone habit to turn your life around. It's the most effective exercise in term of time and benefits. The running routine forces you to clean up your other routines too. You get more fit, you think better, you sleep better, you gain confidence. Everything is connected.

Regarding shoes, despite all the marketing claims and fads the only important thing is to run in something comfortable to you. The useful quantifiable characteristics of a running shoes are: stack height, heel/toe offset, weight and amount of cushion/padding. (beside spikes and Gore-Tex but you know if you need those)

The body can adapt itself to running in pretty much anything. Of course, if you want performance, the less weight is the best (up to a point, some cushioning helps too). You can try and switch shoes as you want. Just be aware that if you switch to really different shoes (offset and padding wise) you should ease into it or risk injuries. Basic common sense is also to never run a race in shoes you never broke into.

The LunarGlide appears to be standard cushioned trainers: 10mm offset, 9.1oz weight.
The Free looks to be the same but with slightly less padding: 8mm offset, 8.1oz weight. That's not in the range of minimalists or racers.

You should have no problem switching.

I have no recommendations for shoes, everyone has preferences and the brands do not really matter in the end. Try different parameters until you find what you prefer. If you like what you currently have, don't try to fix what is not broken. Also, don't think too much about shoes, they do not contribute as much as advertised to the grand scheme of running.

I run my bulk mileage in heavier trainer, my races and speed workouts in low stack very light shoes and I have a third pair in between weight wise I use when I feel like it. Usually I just get the cheapest of the big brands I can buy online in batch at the start of the season.

Top Bottom