• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Final Fantasy series rankings (Voting ends Mar. 2)

Wildesy

1. FF9
2. FF10
3. FF8
4. FF7
5. FF4
6. FF6
7. FF5

I've played a few of the earlier FFs as well but never finished them so I'll leave them out.

1) FF6 (The best of everything IMO. There were some stat bugs in the game but it doesn't really matter imo.)
2) FF8 (Everybody seemed to dislike this game, but I thought it was amazing. Best cutscenes in any of the games imo. Amazing soundtrack)
3) FF9 (Loved the classic retro FF style of this. I still believe the series should go back to the traditional "knights n magic" style instead of the weird j pop direction they've been taking the series)
4) FF5 (Job system is awesome, makes it feel like a slightly new experience whenever I go back to it, amazing soundtrack)
5) FF7 (The last game(other than FF9) that still had the classic FF mold. Great all around game, but flawed imo).
6) FF4 (The start of FF's RPG reign in the 16 bit era. A budding flower and then FF6 came to the US a couple of years later)
7) FF1 (Great start to the series, and love the remake for on FF origins for PSX)
8) FF10 (Very cool but interesting change in the series(voice acting and objective pointers) A lot of things in this game were controversial the first time around and that still bothers me, but it was a memorable experience all around.
9) FF3 (Nobody really talks about this game often, and I only got to play it when it finally came out on the DS. Its a solid classic FF game from start to finish. Dated, but I had some good fun getting into it, especially the way FF has been treated lately.

1. Final Fantasy 6
2. Final Fantasy 5
3. Final Fantasy 4
4. Final Fantasy 7
5. Final Fantasy 10
6. Final Fantasy
7. Final Fantasy 8
8. Final Fantasy 3
9. Final Fantasy 10-2
10. Final Fantasy 13

I know if I have played Final Fantasy IX and XII I would rank those than XIII and X-2 (bottom tier games for me).

Marlowe89

1.) FF12
2.) FF4
3.) FF9
4.) FF7
5.) FF10-2

Really though 12 >>>>>>>>> every other game on this list. I fell in love with the gambits, the characters, the overworld, the highly diverse cultural/racial setting, the "technological medieval" feel, the political-based plot, the hunts, EVERYTHING. It really was a fresh and totally welcome departure from the rest of the series, and it actually conveyed what I'd imagine a real fantasy world to be like instead of this anime-ish shit the franchise loves to harp on so much.

1. Final Fantasy V
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Final Fantasy VII
6. Final Fantasy IV
7. Final Fantasy III
8. Final Fantasy II
9. Final Fantasy 1

1. FF8; First FF with realistic designs, occult undercurrent, Triple Triad, easy to "break" difficulty. The most hyped game I've ever looked forward to and it did not disappoint.
2. FF4; Epic story, battle roles are strictly defined. Best classic FF.
3. FF13-2; A blast to play. Does not really feel like an FF. Too many small nitpicks.
4. FF7; More for the first disc than anything else. Not a fan of materia.
5. FF1; PSP remake version... beautiful and short enough to replay yearly.
6. FF9; Would be much higher but battle loading/sluggishness has not aged well at all.
7. FF10; Great combat system, hated sphere grid and Blitzball.
8. FF13; Would be number 1 if level caps did not exist. Will probably never play again because of it.
9. FF6; Very good overall but each character's "special" input methods/attacks get cumbersome.
10. FF12; Hate the battle system and amazing plot disappears halfway through the game.

1 - FF 6
2 - FF 4
3 - FF 5
4 - FF 12
5 - FF 3
6 - FF 7
7 - FF 10
8 - FF 1
9 - FF 13
10 - FF 9

Never played the online games, and 8 & 2 are both so horribly bad I don't want to list them. Love the series, particularily SNES entries, but also adore 12 which is despite it's hardcore fanbase (well represented here on NEOGAF), is criminally underrated.

1. FF8 - Absolutely brilliant game. Atmosphere, music, art, all stellar. And most fun (and breakable) limit system ever.
2. FF7
3. FF12
4. FF10
5. FF6
6. FF9
7. FF4

Throwing my two cents in here:

1. FF9
2. FF5
3. FF6
4. FF4
5. FF1
6. FF12
7. FF7
8. FF10
9. FF8
10. FF3

Haven't played FF13-2 and FF14. I wanted to put FF11 on there, since I really enjoyed it, but couldn't justify it.

Soma

1. FF IX

Everything I want from a JRPG. Great cast of characters, amazing art direction, a very detailed and realized world, an awesome soundtrack, and an enjoyable, if simple, battle/ability system. Most people are put off by the slow load times but... man I dunno it has just never bothered me before somehow.

To me, whenever I think of the words "Final Fantasy" this is the title that springs to mind.

2. FF IV
3. FF XII
4. FF X
5. FF VII
6. FF VI

CorvoSol

1. FF6. This is the game that makes me feel at home. I love everything about Six, even if it's one of the easiest games in the series. I love the setting, the cast, the story, the music, the visuals, the battles, the way every character is customizable but still unique after you've sat there and grinded them all to have the same spells. I love this game. It will always be my favorite. Plus I had a huge game-crush on Terra as a little kid.

2. FF8. Again, the game is really easy, but I actually fell in love with FF8 before leaving gaming behind for two years. 13 not withstanding, it was the last FF I played, and I was genuinely surprised. As a child I hated Eight, and I admit that the cast was aggravating initially, but by the end of the game I had been won over by the music, visuals, fun Limit Breaks, setting, and yes, Squall and Rinoa did indeed manage to win me over in the end. That damn scene on the Ragnarok. That whole damn space sequence.

3. FF9. This is the only FF with which I have literally no complaints. There is, mechanically, nothing wrong with FF9. I would venture to call it the perfect FF. Nothing about this game has ever made me angry. It only is not my number 1 because other games draw more powerfully on my emotions. Otherwise, Nine is great. The music, the story, the battles, the systems, the villain, the everything. Nine is as near to perfection as any FF has ever come.

4. FF5. The other great FF, in terms of mechanics. 5's Job Class system is, to this day, my favorite iteration in any FF ever. It was a great, light hearted game which proved to be surprisingly grim at times. It brought us Gilgamesh, Bartz, and Faris. The only complaint I have with Five is Krile. She is the worst kind of Mary Sue, and I go out of my way to kill her before even Neo ExDeath can in the final battle. Otherwise, FF5 was a great game.

5. FF7. I have some very fond memories of Seven, and will always be a closet fan of Cloud, Aerith, Tifa and Sephiroth. Seven built on a lot of the good things in Six, and brought FF into a more mainstream popularity. The game had lots to do, and it was really a solid play. That said, it has, hands down, the absolute worst visuals in the series. Those crappy visuals are the only reason I support a remake of it sooner than Six and Five.

6. FF4. The Archetypal FF. Four set the trends of the series. It introduced us to a "brooding" protagonist, who struggled both internally and externally. It focused its plot on its characters, had crazy twists, gave us characters with defined job classes, and was easily one of the most epic games of my childhood. It introduced me to my favorite villain in the series: Golbez. It had three world maps, and the GBA version gave us ten PCs and a lengthy bonus dungeon that occasionally fleshed the cast out further.

7. FF1. I just like this game a lot. Whether that be because it is so iconic, because it offers me freedom, because I love the FF1 mythos a ton, or what, I can't say. I just really like FF1.

8. FF10. Ten's story was pretty amazing when it came out. The ending blew me away as a kid. I liked that the Sphere Grid was a compromise between the two systems- job and set-job characters. Visually it was awesome, and the only downside was the lack of a real world map. Also, the Ultimate Weapons required Herculean reflexes to get.

9. FF12. I loved 12's beginning. The ending blew in my opinion, and I hated that Vayne and Venat were such hypocritical villains. Twelves battle system is the epitome of all I hate about non Strategy non Action JRPGs. It was just so dull for me. Even so, the Marks were exciting and challenging on occasion, and there was a lot to see and do, which, I think, explains why I felt so disconnected from the ending when it came about. All told, though, 12 was a good game, inspite of a few beefs I had.

10. FF3. This game is here mostly because it beats out the other two remaining FFs for me. FF2 and FF13, which I consider polar opposites and good examples of how neither side of the "linearity" issue should be treated as good. FF2 was too non-linear, and it became a hell of a game to finish. FF13 was too linear, and I didn't get to explore even a fraction of what I wanted to. I liked both of those games, but 3 beats them out by a country mile. 3 Gave me jobs, world maps, dungeons and catchy tunes. The DS version was all around a blast. My only complaint with 3 is that, looking back, it is a very short game.

Bonus list!

Spin offs!
1.FFT
2.FFT0
3.DDFF
4.FFCC
5.FFMQ
6.FF4HoL
7.Anything Else.

C4Lukins

First off I will list the games I have never played in the series. Final Fantasy 2.....3....13-2.....14.

The best

1. FF4
2. FF9
3. FF1
4. FF7
5. FF10
6. FF10-2
7. FF6
8. FF5
9. FF12

And that is it. I cannot bring myself to give 8, 11, or 13 a point.

Edit: I am changing some things around after looking at the list. I am happy with these choices now.

Jarlaxle

1. FFVI: Best music of the series. Best villain of the series. Best plot of the series and a wonderful cast of characters who all get fleshed out. So many wonderful moments like the Train Sequence, opera house, Figaro castle. The game really takes you places. It also happens to be the first final fantasy I ever played.

2. FFVIII: While the Junction system could be unweildy at times, I really appreciated this game and what it tried to do. The best opening cinematic in any game I have ever played to this day still. I loved the game and all of the bittersweet moments. I still kind of feel for Seifer and alot of the characters like Squall really resonated with me. Also Faye Wong's "Eyes on Me" is amazing. I'll always have fond memories of this one playing in my dorm.

3. FFVII: The game just had that brooding quality in it's heroes and villains that as a teenager I really connected with. Oh my god, they're swearing! Tifa has boobs! A little ridiculous now, but at the time this game was amazing to me. The first half of the game is definitely the stronger half and at the time I also thought the plot was amazing. I still think it's one of the stronger plots in the series.

4. FFX: I'm not someone that really has a problem with voice acting in games even if it's bad. (Didn't even have a problem with Vanille). Auron is still one of the coolest characters in the series. I thought the idea of how they told the story was really interesting and I was honestly touched by the end of it. I think the song Zanarkand has a lot to do with that. Probably my favorite FF song, aside from maybe Terra's theme. I also really enjoyed the combat system in this one. I've always favored a turn based combat system as I like the feeling of giving me all the time I need to strategize my next moves and plan future actions. Probably my favorite ending sequence in a FF game as well.

5. FFIX: While I didn't love Zidane or much of the cast of this game, I did like the return to some of the FF fundamentals. I liked the four party system and the somewhat more lighthearted tone. Freya was great and the music in this one was yet again another masterpiece. I like the overacrching themes of the play in the game and how it correllated to the game.

6. FFX-2: Almost entirely mission based final fantasy that you can do in any order you want? Sign me up. The dress system is still one of my favorite combat systems in final fantasy. I even enjoyed all of the lighthearted nature throughout the game. The J-Pop stuff fit perfectly with the tone and it was fun to see alot of the same areas and people from the original game. I think I would have been happier however if they hadn't added Paine (she did nothing for me) and instead had added Lulu to go cavorting around with Yuna and Rikku.

7. FFIV: The only FF on this list that I never finished. I did get pretty far though. I stopped near the end of the moon sequence. I just went away from the game for some reason and by the time I had come back I had lost where I was and where I was supposed to be going. This game had some really memorable moments too though. The aforementioned moon, turning into the Paladin, the twins becoming crystalized. Very nice game.

8. FFXIII: While I wasn't a fan at all of the plot or of many of the characters either, this game is gorgeous. I have no problem at all with the linearity and the battle system was pretty fun although it still felt lacking some of that old school charm of picking what I wanted to do for each character, I appreciated the overarching strategy of the system. I kept playing this one long after completing it. Just running around grand pulse is so much fun.

9. FFXII: My least favorite FF. I really only liked 3 of the characters, Baltier, Basche, and Fran (at least I think that were there names). Along with FFXIII, I felt like this game had the weakest plot. I really did not like the combat system at all. I thought the world looked ugly and boring for the most part (the forest was nice). I thought the music was also some of the low points and wished there had been more to do with the judges as that was one of the only intersting aspects of this game. Also, Vaan is the worst final fantasy character ever created.

Gilgamesh

Wait, huh? This thread still exists? I figured it would have went down when the "stop making voting threads" announcement popped up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah... I didn't bother to submit a vote in the end since duckroll went all Arnold Schwarzenegger on the voting threads.

However, it's nice to see some people justifying their choices even if it's just one small blurb as opposed to simply listing them (which I suppose was the problem in the first place aside from the flood of voting threads recently).

Jarlaxle

Sorry, I didn't see the sticky as I've had this up on one of my browser's for about a week. I had just wanted to get my picks in before the deadline. I apologize if this has caused a problem. This can be locked now and I won't post in here again.

All the FFs I've played but haven't beaten some.

1. FFVI. With Xenogears, the greatest characters ever.
2. FFVIII. The theme of love really shines through.
3. FFX. Compelling story with a battle system that made the most sense.
4. FFIV. The foundation of V-X.
5. FFVII. Even knowing of Aeris' death it still hit me hard. Best overworld theme.
6. FFV. Made it up to the 3rd world and was amazed that the first two coincided. A game I'll have to finish some day.
7. FFIX. Disc 1 was great but became too cinematic and not enough gameplay.
8. FFI. In typical NES fashion, quite a challenge.
9. FFXII. Seemed too unbalanced. Horrible gameplay.

Zekes!

1. Final Fantasy XII

I've played all the games in the series, but this is the only one I truly love. The rest of my favs are spin-offs.

Derrick01

Banned
1. FF7
2. FF10
3. FF9
4. FF8
5. FF6
6. FF12
7. FF4

I played all of them except 13-2 but that's all the ones I care to list. I either don't remember much of the rest or I'm trying not to remember them (example: FF13)

randomkid

Yeah... I didn't bother to submit a vote in the end since duckroll went all Arnold Schwarzenegger on the voting threads.

Haha I guess this is a good place to say it but duckroll's sticky message makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. So much truth in that post. Also, why is it so mistake-ridden and inexplicably Engrish sounding? Why does this somehow make it sound even more no-nonsense and awesome? I don't get why it works but it just does.

1. Final Fantasy 10 - The best story in the series with some of the best pacing I've seen in a jrpg. Great leads and a very cool tropical world. Really strategic battle system thats fun.

2. Final Fantasy 13 - Pretty much the best battle system in a jrpg as far as I'm concerned. Cuts out all the tedium of jrpgs and the game really avoids feeling like filler. Great beginning with pretty much the best overall cast in the series. Kind of goes off the rails at the end storywise, but until then was really good. At least the game is fun throughout.

3. Final Fantasy 12 - A really cool explorable world with a nice system that also cuts out the tedium and can really get you to tinker with it. Some cool leads and an interesting narrative, but the skill system is pretty meh and the story does fall apart.

4. Final Fantasy 6 - Great characters (except for some) and a cool epic story. Full of amazing moments and set pieces(Approching Vector, the serpent trench, the intro, getting Setzer's ship, the world being blown up).

5. Final Fantasy IX - A great lead with Zidanne and a great emotional story with Vivi. A cool world that feels like an actual fantasy. A really cool and simple skill system. It's flaws are maybe that the end kind of losses the momentum.

And that's it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha I guess this is a good place to say it but duckroll's sticky message makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. So much truth in that post. Also, why is it so mistake-ridden and inexplicably Engrish sounding? Why does this somehow make it sound even more no-nonsense and awesome? I don't get why it works but it just does.
That's what happens when duckroll's mad! Except for the bit where he says "thank you" at the end. :lol

I guess the game series community threads aren't well-known since they're in Community or people just don't want to use them since I've noticed that people are generally cordial to each other in them. It's just a little interesting because we had a few 'what are your favourite FF games' discussions in the FF Community Thread when it was posted, and when people started making comparisons in the FFXIII-2 thread.

Aeana

duckroll's first language isn't English.

Top Bottom