• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF VOTES: The best game music of all time.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Michan said:
Can you make an exception for this remix?
I want to so bad. (Also best top-of-page ever.)

Someone pointed out that one of the Parappa videos is dead. Will fix later.

Splitting up the list and getting voting thread ready.

You still haven't added Wandering Flame to the list. Shame on you.

But seriously, FFX has some of the best music EVAR. Assault, Wandering Flame, S. Battle, Sight of Spira, Thunder Plateau, To Zanarkand...the list goes on.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Death_Born said:
You still haven't added Wandering Flame to the list. Shame on you.

But seriously, FFX has some of the best music EVAR. Assault, Wandering Flame, S. Battle, Sight of Spira, Thunder Plateau, To Zanarkand...the list goes on.
It's on my list. I just don't see the point in updating this OP right now when it's going to become obsolete within an hour.

scarybore

Sixfortyfive said:
Mostly broken down alphabetically with some adjustments made for balance.

Mainly, I'm trying to keep all of the same songs in a franchise in the same sets, and making it so that no two popular franchises with several (10+) nominations show up in the same set. (Notice the Megaman + Metal Gear + Metroid clusterfuck that would happen otherwise.)

For the curious, here's the nomination count for those franchises:

Mario: 39
Sonic: 37
Final Fantasy: 36
Megaman: 36
Castlevania: 24
Zelda: 20
Bemani (beatmania+DDR): 16
Metroid: 16
Metal Gear: 15
Ace Attorney (PW+AJ): 12
Pokemon: 12
Xenogears+saga: 12
Half-Life: 11
Silent Hill: 11
Pump It Up: 10
Street Fighter: 10 (not including other Capcom fighters)

Did not include the DDR Mario songs in either Bemani or Mario.

Maybe it's because I've not played a single Megaman game since 2 on the NES, but I'm amazed at the amount of nominations it has. :lol Nice to see that Half-Life has got it's fair share of nominations too.

Frenck said:

I totally forgot that Jesper Kyd did the music for AC, I'll need to pick up the game eventually just for the music alone.

Anyways, glad to see the voting is about to get underway. A quick word of advice should anyone have missed it from earlier in the thread, you can often get higher quality stereo sound by adding &fmt=18 on to the end of the youtube urls, which certainly helps when you are listening to so much music from there.

Masked Man

I said wow
Death_Born said:
Not really. The good stuff, like Final Fantasy, should be thinned out first, otherwise they will come in top-rated in every vote and upstage something else that might be good but people won't care about.

Fair, but then some comparatively mediocre pieces could get a de facto advancement to the next round simply because they were the best in a lackluster pool--perhaps not the best, even, but just one of the "chosen 20" that happened to lack much competition from better music.

I guess it could go both ways. =/

Sixfortyfive said:
It's on my list. I just don't see the point in updating this OP right now when it's going to become obsolete within an hour.

*is excited*

Just make sure to switch around those MOTHER 3 tunes. Otherwise Amir0x won't be happy.
Neither will I. ;)

I just glanced at the HUGE list and first off "Wandering Flame" needs to be one of the 3 for FFX - that was the best song on there.

Seeing as how youtube doesn't have access to the full SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa OST's I can't add those.

BUT, what I will share with you is what *might* be considered my favorite piece of videogame music ever, and definitely needs to be added to the list.

The Legend of Dragoon - Tiberoa

But that's not all:

Surprise 1
Surprise 2

And while I'm at it my favorite Videogame Album.

JRW

Masked Man said:
I love Butter Building, too, but I'm still partial to MKR, and I daresay that the latter is more popular. (Although I would say that Butter Building is certainly underappreciated--it's fantastic!)

Hm... Tough call about FD. It's probably the "best" version of the main theme--not counting the original, of course.

Oh, my goodness. =O

I went this whole time without making a Banjo nomination!! I am ashamed... ;_; Seriously, Grant Kirkhope's work on Banjo was part of what inspired within me a serious interest in music.

* Banjo-Kazooie - Gobi's Valley (I prefer the original to the version that you posted, but we'll see what happens. The latter is certainly more iconic, eh?)

Just to clarify the version I posted IS in the actual game. Its one of the most memorable gaming tunes ive ever heard, I remember being in awe the first time I actually got to this area in the game lol.

(Edit: Version I posted is here.)

Masked Man

I said wow
JRW said:
Just to clarify the version I posted IS in the actual game. Its one of the most memorable gaming tunes ive ever heard, I remember being in awe the first time I actually got to this area in the game lol.

(Edit: Version I posted is here.)

Was that directed at me or 645? If you meant me, then I already knew that. :lol

zoku88

How many nominations did DQ get?

More than the ones from me, right?

Please? :(

EDIT:

Man, I should've entered the DQII field music instead of the DQIII one. The III one gets kinda annoying -_-;;

Top Bottom