GAF, what’s your favorite console start-up screen ?

What’s your favorite console start-up screen ?

• Total voters
Jan 18, 2018
PS1 ... Dat anticipation, when you wait for the final "shingaling" that tells you, if the game will start or if you have to turn your old hot running grey brick sideways (or on its head)... priceless.

The other ist the Megadrive/Genesis start jingle of Sonic games...

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
My favourite is GameCube for its playfulness. Other greats are Dreamast and PlayStation 1. Xbox is cheesy in a strange way, but I still enjoy it. The best boot up screens are just plain starting the game, though - NES, SNES, N64, Master System, Mega Drive - these are the secret winners.

Jan 11, 2019
the Underground
PlayStation and GameCube are currently taking the lead, as expected. :messenger_winking:

Thanks to @Shifty. and @sublimit for the kind words, I can guarantee that your support towards me is gonna be worth it :messenger_grinning:

Thanks also to all the members who participated to this poll, and I got to say I’ve been surprised by the positive reception, it was my first attempt at making a thread and I didn’t expect that much replies.

Anyway, expect to see me around more often ! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Oct 31, 2012
USA
Its tough between Gamecube and PS1.
I still actually remember the first time I turned on a PS1 and heard that sound. What a console.

I've also had the GBA startup sound as my text message tone for years now.

Aug 3, 2014
that's too difficult a question to give just one answer. i've owned every playstation so i'll rank them

1. I honestly can't pick between PS1/PS2 so it's a draw
2. PS3
3. PS4

Jun 6, 2015
Ok guys, it was a fun thread but there's only one correct answer whether you own one or not:

post 2nd gen CD-I boot up best boot screen period, nice thread OP I'll treat you to lunch.

EDit: In fact first/second gen CD-i is also good so I put it a close second. I'd put PSX second instead, but the PSX only works if you put the system and game bootscreens together, otherwise it's average at best, so it's third.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2011
Man, there's just too much nostalgia for the original PS. But if I were to somehow be able to remove all nostalgia, I think that the GameCube is probably the best for me anyway.

The PS2 is probably my favorite console ever, but even with that bias, it didn't have the best start-up.

Anyway, I had to vote ps1.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2015
PSX is an odd one because the actual main bootup for the actual game system is the second one. The first boot is basically just an on switch boot, and when you play PSX games on anything not the original playstation it never appears.

That's why the PSX is weaker than people here say IMO, you need both boot screens for the full experience which most people will likely never see unless they decided to go buy a PSX off Ebay. Even most emulators skip boot 1 when a game is loaded.