• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what’s your favorite console start-up screen ?

What’s your favorite console start-up screen ?

• Total voters

dogen

PS1 and US Saturn. PS1 sounds a bit cooler but the saturn has a much better visual.

Last edited:
Top 3:

Gamecube - Cool way to draw out a logo and it was interactive
X360 - The X smashing into the sphere was always a welcome sight after work
Dreamcast - This one is my nostalgia screen, the DC was the first console I bought for myself on launch day, before that it was always together with my brothers.

Worst:
PS2 - While the opener wasn't bad, I got this one instead a few times

Kazza

I loved the original Sega CD back on the day:

I loved this one too. It was a start-up that doubled as a tech demo (woah, look at those beautiful scaling sprites!)

My vote still went to Gamecube though. I didn't own one back when, but the start up is just so classy.

chixdiggit

Am I the only one that loves the Switch startup? That clicking noise is so satisfying.
Gamecube is a close second followed by 360.

Last edited:

Keihart

i'm torn between PS1 and Dreamcast, on one side i like more the animations and the Dreamcast Logo, but the music of the PS1 startup it's the best.

Jeeves

Gamecube is what I have the fondest memories of because it was my console when I got my first job and could buy my own games.

As mentioned already, the startup had a few easter eggs. It's also just a fun and satisfying animation.

What I really liked about it though was how you could access the system menu by holding A on the startup animation. It would transition so smoothly into the system menu which had a cube motif, and the music and sound effects for the system menu kind of gave it an air of...I don't know, a powerful and mysterious force. Plus you might find fun little text snippets about the inserted game or when viewing save blocks on the memory cards.

I have a Wii that I play all my GCN games on now, but...I kind of want to own a Gamecube again just to fool around with the startup gimmicks.

Jesb

Original PlayStation forever. That sound gives you chills. It’s the sound of something iconic. And the start of gaming about to become mainstream.

teezzy

Banned
Original Xbox startup felt like you were powering up a super secret device conjured up by a mad scientist. Such a shame that it's being so heavily outweighed by PS1 and GCN in the polls. Easily my #1, but I'm biased.

H4ze

The PSX intro is pure joy, even my PS4 is always set on the PS1 theme just to hear that nice sound.

Top Bottom