• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, what's the definitive version of Street Fighter II?

Peltz

I honestly didn't know Super Street Fighter II Turbo was released on the DC. That system truly was a dream console for Capcom fighters.

I feel like the hardcore fighting game community tended to favor the Saturn ports over the Dreamcast ones.

The dreamcast versions have sprites are too small for most capcom games.

Lulubop

Turbo on SNES was always my favorite.

Now, if we're talking about ports that mimicked the arcade versions the best, I'd say these:

latest

latest

The graphics, sound, control were dead on. The only issue that kept these from being 100% perfect were the loading times.

Pretty sure those aren't perfect ports

stn

SSF2T: HDR on 360. Why? Because it was really active years ago and was the best way to face top competition consistently. ST on GGPO is also brilliant.

PillarEN

What about the ports that were on the Capcom Classiscs Collection (1 and 2). Aren't those the arcade versions of the Street Fighter 2 games?

3S and cvs2 aren't fantastic. Marvel is fine though.

CvS1, Marvel 1 and 2, Double Impact, JoJos, Super Turbo X and Vampire Chronicle for matching service all turned out fine, though.

Two ports not being perfect is hardly "most."

Edit:
Many of them had really shitty attempts at balance tweaks that made the games useless for serious play. There were also issues with rescaling sprites and such.

Good point, actually. Alpha 3's sprite scaling issues come to mind.

Pinky

Banned
Pretty sure those aren't perfect ports

I didn't say they were... I said they did the best job, not a perfect job. I did mention the loading times being an issue. Everything else was dead on, IMO. I lived and breathed the arcade games and I remember how impressive these 2 collections were in comparison to the arcade versions. I couldn't tell them apart(again, except for the loading times).

I'd say SSF2T for the Saturn...

...but honestly, I've always loved the original SF2 best. I like how the damage is cranked up and the speed is cranked down - it makes everything really deliberate and consequential.

AmyS

Street Fighter II CE in the Capcom Generations 5 (Saturn version).

This.

You get SFII The World Warrior - Champion Edition - Turbo on Capcom Generation 5. The equivalent release on PS1 in NA was Street Fighter Collection 2.

As others have said, Super Street Fighter II X: For Matching Service on the Dreamcast is the best you'll get right now. Alternatively, if you can find the Saturn version of Super Turbo, that would be the next best thing.

If you want the best experience, DO NOT get HD Remix. The "balance" changes are terrible and the game isn't the same because of it. If you don't care about the (sometimes) small differences with certain characters and don't plan on diving real deep into the game competitively, then HDR is, unfortunately, the most accessible option.

LoveCake

I still have my copy of Street Fighter II Turbo for my SNES, the best version imo.

I do have a copy of the 3DO version, not played it in years though.

If you want the best experience, DO NOT get HD Remix. The "balance" changes are terrible and the game isn't the same because of it. If you don't care about the (sometimes) small differences with certain characters and don't plan on diving real deep into the game competitively, then HDR is, unfortunately, the most accessible option.

The game also includes a classic mode that is basically the best and most accessible version of Super Turbo though?

Gren

I can't speak for the Genesis ports, but on SNES, I'd recommend Super. IIRC, the SNES port had a option to increase the game speed, more or less resolving its biggest (perhaps only, assuming you're looking at it content-wise) shortcoming against Turbo.

Sapiens

The game also includes a classic mode that is basically the best and most accessible version of Super Turbo though?

You still have to deal with the horrible Udon garbage on the background art though. It's still a bastardized version.

I would rather get a phoenixed arcade board.

The sprites and backgrounds are terrible and you don't have access to DIP switches.

The absolute best option would be a CPS-2 with a supergun and two joysticks, but that's a pretty costly investment.

The one I was replying to was solely criticizing the rebalancing though. I won't delve in the graphical department as that is a YMMV kinda thing.

Zophar

So strange that people are recommending the Dreamcast version of Super Turbo instead of the PS2 versions in the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection or Capcom Classics Vol. 2. What does that one do superior to later, infinitely easier to find ports? Hyper SF2 with the default settings is a nearly-perfect port of Super Turbo, IIRC.

Anyway, on the SNES/Genesis SF2 Turbo on the SNES is the best version bar none. Special CE on Genesis is a close second. Super SF2 on either platform is mediocre by comparison.

So strange that people are recommending the Dreamcast version of Super Turbo instead of the PS2 versions in the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection or Capcom Classics Vol. 2. What does that one do superior to later, infinitely easier to find ports? Hyper SF2 with the default settings is a perfect port of Super Turbo.

In regards to the DC vs. PS2 versions, I'll actually have to do some research on that. I distinctly remember feeling the DC version more.

In regards to Hyper being arcade perfect: unless you're playing on the JP re-release of Hyper, O. Sagat is very different than he is in ST and they changed the way throw techs work in Hyper.

CLEEK

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded on Vita is my go-to version to get my SFII fix. I'll always have a soft spot for SFII Turbo on SNES though. VC version, played using the original Wii Classic Controller.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is one of the ugliest games ever made. Plus I find all fighting games unplayable on a 360 pad.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
the japanese capcore release of hyper sf2 is the most accurate and least buggy version of the game

B4pLouM.jpg

other than that i'd say the dreamcast ssf2x

Hey, guys, can someone point me the versions of SF2 that allow me to turn off the dynamic music?

Like, I just want the music to continuously play between rounds.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Play the arcade originals on Fightcade, you get the best versions and you have GGPO netcode.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
That arcade version where you press start and change fighters mid round. In Philly we called it the "Street Fighter w/ the chip" not sure what they called that any where else.

Dranakin

It would be if they weren't such bad ports most of the time. The 3D stuff was all good though.

I thought MvC2 for DC was the closest to arcade? If that game wasn't a problem, what others were there? I also have Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike and MK: Gold somewhere in a box.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The 3DO one is the only home version I've played to death, loved it, even dropped money on the Tank controller. I know this isn't any help to the OP but I thought I'd put it out there.

Gren

I thought MvC2 for DC was the closest to arcade? If that game wasn't a problem, what others were there? I also have Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike and MK: Gold somewhere in a box.

Yes, as were the CVSes & all the other Naomi-based games.

DC was especially great for its time. Regardless of their accuracy, you simply couldn't get many of the ports (SF3s, Garou) anywhere else back then, and for most of the others it was at least more faithful (MVC1, JoJo's, KOF98/99, Last Blade) than the Playstation.

Alpha 3 might've been one of the few where a port on an older console was preferred.

Top Bottom