• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Lettuce

Ok so im still on 2.2E firmware, i take it i should really stick with this FW as everything works with it, i have a few Trucha signed discs (No More Heroes & Williams Pinball) if i update why FW these discs wont work anymore is that correct??

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So, lately, while I play the wii, the screen flashes black for an instant every 10-15 minutes or so. and when I say an instant, i mean it: the screen flashes.

It's not a tv problem, because the same thing happened when I brought my wii home for thanksgiving.

It's either a cable problem or a problem with the Wii itself.

Anyone able to give some advice?

In the event I need to send my wii in for repair, what steps should I do to remove traces of homebrew? I have the homebrew channel installed, WAD manager to make some common things accessible from the main menu (ie: a VBAGX WAD), and have fiddled around with a custom IOS or two, but that's it.

GaimeGuy

hm, from what I read, I would just have to use anytitledeleter to remove any modifications, then run a system format.

Linkhero1

I seem to have some problems with Naruto Shippuden EX 3 through rebooter. Every time I use the rebooter whenever I try to take out the disc after I finish playing, it wont come out and my Wii makes a clicking sound. However when I use the normal launcher on GeckoOS it doesn't have this problem. It's weird. I guess I'll have to stick to using Launcher when playing imported games.

MoogPaul

Using gecko os, do i need to force any of the options in order to get the best picture with component cables out of my imported PAL game?

bryehn

MoogPaul said:
Using gecko os, do i need to force any of the options in order to get the best picture with component cables out of my imported PAL game?

Depends on your TV really. I was fine playing Disaster without forcing anything on a 720p set.

Running on an SDTV you should probably force NTSC or PAL 60.

CTLance

Yup, the new HBC adds a ton of functionality... but it doesn't want to connect to the net anymore - at least with my Wii. I guess something's amiss. Figures that the HBC now needs a "THIS IS FREE SOFTWARE YOU RETARDS DO NOT PAY FOR IT" warning. :-/
Anony said:
is there an app that lets you backup wii savefiles to sd card? doing it manually is painfully slow
Yep. Just download the Homebrew browser and choose one of the apps in the utilities section. I wouldn't know where to find it for manual installation, though. Maybe if you browse through wiibrew.org you'll find it?

CTLance said:
Yup, the new HBC adds a ton of functionality... but it doesn't want to connect to the net anymore - at least with my Wii. I guess something's amiss.

Looks like I'll wait a couple of weeks to make sure everything is kosher before updating. I have enough trouble getting things to work, I don't need any more issues. lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I read something about a bug pertaining to ethernet connections. I don't know the details, but that basically stopped me from updating.

Anony

CTLance said:
Yep. Just download the Homebrew browser and choose one of the apps in the utilities section. I wouldn't know where to find it for manual installation, though. Maybe if you browse through wiibrew.org you'll find it?

i just tried it, it requires you to insert the disc to save the game's save file

is there an app that you load that can transfer savefile back and forth from wii to sd easily
someone said that you can backup mario kart and ssbb savefiles

GaimeGuy

I haven't noticed the screen flicker when playing games from the disc channel.... only wiiware/vc and homebrew stuff (the homebrew stuff being off SD card)

Or hte problem fixed itself.

Or I've just gotten used to it and haven't noticed it :lol

markatisu

Anony said:
i just tried it, it requires you to insert the disc to save the game's save file

is there an app that you load that can transfer savefile back and forth from wii to sd easily
someone said that you can backup mario kart and ssbb savefiles

The app is almost exactly the same, you insert the disc and it restores the save file (in the Homebrew Browser it should be depicted showing files going the other way and red I think)

If you want any easier then you that, currently you are not going to get it

Threi

notag
A word of caution: I powered off from the homebrew channel and the wii turned off, but the video signal did not (it just turned black).

lopaz

Banned
If I want to update to the 1.0 version of HBC, can I do this through the old one, or do I need to do the twilight hack again?

xero273

lopaz said:
If I want to update to the 1.0 version of HBC, can I do this through the old one, or do I need to do the twilight hack again?

You can do it through the old one. Just connect to the internet when you are in HBC and a prompt will say new version is available, and download it.

bdouble

One question. Does it matter what TP disc you have? As in like the print anything? I haven't found a clear answer on if they removed the exploit or not.

Linkhero1

bdouble said:
One question. Does it matter what TP disc you have? As in like the print anything? I haven't found a clear answer on if they removed the exploit or not.
I don't think it matters. If they wanted to remove the exploit they'd have to change the coding in the Zelda games I believe and that would cost them money. I'm not sure though, but I heard it somewhere.

bdouble

Linkhero1 said:
I don't think it matters. If they wanted to remove the exploit they'd have to change the coding in the Zelda games I believe and that would cost them money. I'm not sure though, but I heard it somewhere.

oh ok. Yeah I thought somewhere I read that later prints had it removed or something idk. Guess I will find out. I still need to finish TP anyways.

Linkhero1

I have a question that doesn't really relate to homebrew but I must know. In order for Wiiconnect24 to work do I have to agree to the terms and conditions? Every time I go to the option it brings up the terms and condition. If I don't agree will it stay off forever?

thanks

I need some help here. I wanted to update the HBC and Gecko for when TvC comes out, but now that I went to 1.01 with HBC, all the apps are saying "This is not a valid Wii application"

Linkhero1

Linkzg said:
I need some help here. I wanted to update the HBC and Gecko for when TvC comes out, but now that I went to 1.01 with HBC, all the apps are saying "This is not a valid Wii application"
All the apps or just some? If it's all I'd try moving them to my computer, formatting the SD card, place them back on and try again.

Mejilan

2 or 3 versions ago, HBC dropped support for improper .ELF formatted homebrew. Upgrade them to the newer .DOL format, or patch the .ELF files yourself. There's an .ELF to .DOL converter out there.

Mejilan

Just use the Homebrew Browser to download, install, and update your homebrew. It knows where to put everything on your SD card.

Pringo

Banned
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help. I've decided I want to play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom on my North American Wii and apparently to do so I need to install some mods. I don't really know what I'm doing at the moment and the homebrew scene seems to be changing quickly enough that I don't know what's current and what's not.

Here's what I have:
-Wii (with 3.3U firmware)
-The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
-1 GB SD card

Any links to some good guides on what exactly I need to install and how to install it would be great. I'm kind of clueless as to what I'm doing right now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
has anyone gotten MAME to run successfully on their wii?

if so, could someone walk me through it? i want to play GI JOE arcade so effin' badly.

mptls.jpg

suikodan

I had HBC (v.0.8 I think) already installed before updating to FW3.4.

I did update to HBC v9.0 , then I updated to FW3.4. Still was able to enter HBC.

With FW3.4, I updated HBC to v1.0.1 and it still work despite the HBC updater saying that it might not.

I'm knocking on wood...

beelzebozo said:
has anyone gotten MAME to run successfully on their wii?

if so, could someone walk me through it? i want to play GI JOE arcade so effin' badly.

mptls.jpg

I'm pretty sure that for anything past an incredibly rudimentary early 80s title, MAME takes a STUPID long time to load games on the Wii and plays at sub slideshow rates. Hopefully this will improve.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
sadness. oh well. not a hugely pressing issue of course, just an impulse yesterday while i was playing sunset riders that some gi joe arcade would be dooooope on christmas day with my little brother.

D-X

So I've installed the homebrew channel and the Gecko OS on my SD card but on loading the HBC the Gecko OS doesn't appear, just an icon in the bottom right hand corner that looks like a Gecko.

I'm running Wii Systen 3.1E? Any suggestions?

D-X said:
So I've installed the homebrew channel and the Gecko OS on my SD card but on loading the HBC the Gecko OS doesn't appear, just an icon in the bottom right hand corner that looks like a Gecko.

I'm running Wii Systen 3.1E? Any suggestions?
Are you sure you have the files named correctly in the right places of the card? Can you get anything else to show up, or are you trying solely Gecko?

Top Bottom