• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Is your HDD normally compatible with Wii? I only ask because I went through hell and back trying to find a HDD that my Wii would detect. Maybe Wii U compatibility is better and the VWii is still fussy?

It's the exact same hard drive that I used with my Wii, if that's what you're asking. The Wii U does natively see it in its system settings, but no dice in vWii. Heck, Cfg even hard locks the system whenever I boot it up and I have to pull the plug.

Question for the experts. I'm currently on a modded Wii version 4.1u and I'm planning on picking up a Wii U soon. I updated my Wii Shop Channel and downloaded the Wii to Wii U Transfer Tool. Will the transfer work since the actual Wii version isn't the latest or is the Transfer Tool all that is needed?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, again, what's the best wiki walk-through to follow for softmodding a WiiU?

Also, do I need to actually redownload the Wiiware/VC stuff I deleted before doing the system tranfer Wii > WU?
Or you just probably just need the "tickets" thus you could have zero games transferring and yet still be able to (re)download them later from the WU in Wii-mode?

Madao

No worries, I have a ps3 controller that is only for PC gaming. Does this work without any homebrew in regular Wii U titles?

nope. it only works with homebrew apps that accept it, like Devolution to play GC games.

(why would a controller from the competition work without homebrew anyway?)

Lkr

I debated doing it for months, but I finally installed the Homebrew Channel on my Wii U tonight. Moved my hard drive and SD card over from the Wii, and now I have all GameCube and Wii games ready at the click of a button, along with my NES, SNES, and N64 virtual console games that were already there. It's nice.

I'm amazed at the ability to play GCN games with a Wii U Pro controller, haha.

are you using usbloader gx or what? just not sure what program i'm supposed to use for these additional controller support(like a ps3 controller or pro controller)

So, I just bought a Nintendo Wii for the purposes of owning Project M and homebrew. The firmware is 3.4u. I have an SD card, I would just like to be pointed to a good guide somewhere.

Hello everyone that still reads the thread.

Is there a homebrew application that expands the activity log? You know something similar to the 3DS. Guessing it would be possible since the Wii tracks the software played in the calendar application.

Another question would be: The mayority of application seem not to be coded for the Wii M+ controller. Anyway to circunvent that. Can't play Quake shareware or that shooting game were you hold the remote like an airplane XD

XSX

I had a Wii given to me that use to have HBC on it but the previous owner has deleted it. They can't remember what they installed on it at all other then HBC. Can I re-install HBC without fear of it bricking? Any help appreciated.

Vlad

Hello everyone that still reads the thread.

Is there a homebrew application that expands the activity log? You know something similar to the 3DS. Guessing it would be possible since the Wii tracks the software played in the calendar application.

I don't have a 3DS, so what do you mean by "expands"? I know there's an application on there that tallies the playtimes from the calendar, if that's what you're looking for.

Of course, I don't remember the name of it offhand, but it's on the Homebrew Browser somewhere.

Datschge

There is playstats, available through the Homebrew Browser. While it's very basic (sorting games by number of times, total time, average length and date played) it does allow to log all stats to the SD card which could be processed further if one wants to do that.

I don't have a 3DS, so what do you mean by "expands"? I know there's an application on there that tallies the playtimes from the calendar, if that's what you're looking for.

Of course, I don't remember the name of it offhand, but it's on the Homebrew Browser somewhere.
By expand i was trying to express that the tracking is a bit more indepth.

There is playstats, available through the Homebrew Browser. While it's very basic (sorting games by number of times, total time, average length and date played) it does allow to log all stats to the SD card which could be processed further if one wants to do that.
Is there a way to download playstats withouth homebrew channel? For some reason it doesn't work for me.

Many thanks Vlad and Datsche XD

Madao

Thanks for saving me some google time XD

So i download it, installed and... can't use because it doesnt support Wii Remote +

I need to track a normal Wi Remote at a decent price, which is hard.

this is pretty weird since i've used playstats with a remote+ on a regular wii and it works. it only craps out on Wii U.

this is pretty weird since i've used playstats with a remote+ on a regular wii and it works. it only craps out on Wii U.
Either you have a newer version than 1.1 or you aren't remembering it clear enough.

Everything loads fine until it says "press the button", then the controller shuts itself down. Isn't that the typical behaviour when certain homebrew software can't work with Wiimote + or are there other issues that causes a similar effect?

Edit: Take for example various wad manageres, games like cosmo raketi or the Quake share ware port. Can you run those with W+ remote?

Nemesis_

Is there any way to completely wipe a Wii and start fresh in terms of Homebrew? I've got a feeling I've installed custom IOSes and such and it's been years since I've touched it.

I just want to get rid of homebrew and any of the modifications I've made and restart installation from the beginning. If possible, without losing my game saves too.

please help ;_;

Hey guys,

I'm trying to update my homebrew channel as I haven't used it in years and now want to rip games to use with Dolphin. The Clean Rip program wont work with my current homebrew channel but I'm not getting an automatic prompt to update and I also can't access the http://bootmii.org/download/ page to install offline.

Does anyone here have the latest version of the HackMii installer saved locally, or know where I can download it?

Thanks!

Dash Kappei

What's the best FAQ for softmodding the WIIU?
Loved Clipper's one for the Wii itself.

Is there any way to completely wipe a Wii and start fresh in terms of Homebrew? I've got a feeling I've installed custom IOSes and such and it's been years since I've touched it.

I just want to get rid of homebrew and any of the modifications I've made and restart installation from the beginning. If possible, without losing my game saves too.

please help ;_;

Just follow this guide's section on how to start fresh/get rid of everything:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The Wii U itself cannot be modded.

The Wii Mode within the Wii U can be softmodded in pretty much exactly the same way as the Wii can, with the exceptions that you can't use LetterBomb or BannerBomb (IE you have to use one of the exploits that requires a game). I think some homebrew doesn't work 1:1 but for the core stuff like emulators and USB Loaders it's all the same.

Nemesis_

Just follow this guide's section on how to start fresh/get rid of everything:

I tried, but for some reason couldn't find it. I'm actually happy now, I appear to have everything working. But I did run into one problem with Dios Mios that might need some clarifying.

Basically, I played some Super Mario Sunshine and then played some Timesplitters 2 and 3.

But then when I went back to Super Mario Sunshine, it said my memory card was corrupt and had to be reformatted.

Is this possibly because my copies of Timesplitters 3 and Sunshines are NTSC while my Timesplitters 2 was PAL (I had a Freeloader back in the day and my collection is a mixture of regions)?

I tried, but for some reason couldn't find it. I'm actually happy now, I appear to have everything working. But I did run into one problem with Dios Mios that might need some clarifying.

Basically, I played some Super Mario Sunshine and then played some Timesplitters 2 and 3.

But then when I went back to Super Mario Sunshine, it said my memory card was corrupt and had to be reformatted.

Is this possibly because my copies of Timesplitters 3 and Sunshines are NTSC while my Timesplitters 2 was PAL (I had a Freeloader back in the day and my collection is a mixture of regions)?

Maaaaaaaaaaybe. I heard many years ago that you should generally keep memory cards for different regions, otherwise they would corrupt.
More recently though I have seen many people say they have had zero issues using memory cards for multiple regions of game, so I'm really not sure.

Nemesis_

Maaaaaaaaaaybe. I heard many years ago that you should generally keep memory cards for different regions, otherwise they would corrupt.
More recently though I have seen many people say they have had zero issues using memory cards for multiple regions of game, so I'm really not sure.

I know there was something like NA/PAL games can be put together but JP ones could not. But I just hope I don't lose my Sunshine save again, I made a lot of progress today after so long ;_;

Dash Kappei

NA and PAL are fine together, it's only the JPN's saves that need to be on a different MC.

Chairhome

Man, I've been looking got this thread.
What do I do when hbc loads up an app and the remotes desync themselves? I can't get any button to proceed when it says "press A". I'm trying to install the disc update blocker.

Man, I've been looking got this thread.
What do I do when hbc loads up an app and the remotes desync themselves? I can't get any button to proceed when it says "press A". I'm trying to install the disc update blocker.
Are you using Wii remote plus by any chance? Newer ones remove some unused (by Nintendo) buletooth ability which is how most homebrew apps communicate.

It depends on how you are playing the imports. If you are changing to Japanese firmware (switch on US gamecube, methods you should not use on the Wii). Yes you do. The filesystem on the Japanese memory cards is configured differently and incompatible with US and European.

If you are just using gecko OS or freeloader. Everything lives happily on one card as only one format ever comes into play.

A few games have problems though such as Japanese Donkey Konga and Mr. Driller. These can not create save files unless a Japanese format card is used. Since a file can not be created it tries to format the card instead. So why not use a Japanese format card on a US system to get around this? The BIOS will detect the card as corrupt and format it.

Sakujou

Banned
Hi there, just saw a pictures of someone who got a wii u hooked up with a cube controller and streaming sunshine on his gamepad. I got my wii u, but i now want to hook completely backup everything from my wii to wii u and also want to use my wii u as a gamecube platform.(backing up!) what is the device called to use my cube stuff on my wii u and what software do i need, do upgrade everything to this state?

I hope there is an easy tutorial.... Havent been active in this for ages....

paolo11

Gaf, I need a huge help:

I successfully modded my vWii in my WiiU so I have Wiiflow and HBC. Now, I used my HDD which is the WD passport HDD 300GB with my Y cable and Wiiflow recognizes the game on the Wiiflow menu but when I press A to play the game, it just gives me a black screen and after a few seconds, it brings me back to the Wiiflow menu. I need help on what is going on. I just partitioned the HDD to NTFS and the games under WBFS (or WBSF) inside a folder and still would not work. Please help me.

You can install Wii homebrew on an Wii U in virtual wii mode. This includes being able to use USB loaders and GCN backups.

Really now, that's interesting. I was just about to buy a Wii along with a Wii U so I'm glad I found this out.

What about Wii backups? Also how do you control the game with no GCN ports?

Really now, that's interesting. I was just about to buy a Wii along with a Wii U so I'm glad I found this out.

What about Wii backups? Also how do you control the game with no GCN ports?

I'm not sure if you can make the backups on the Wii U (haven't done it to mine yet) but you can play them from USB loaders. It can't read burnt DVDs like a Wii can though because of a different drive type. There is a GCN "emulator" of sorts (it essentially runs in Wii mode, so it has access to wii hardware), its compatibility is fairly high but not perfect.

Hiccup

Banned
Hi all

I've modified my Wii U so I can play my Wii games through the harddrive. Everything is displaying in a boxed mode with the lines on the left and right. By everything I mean anything that isn't the main menu.

How do I make the vWii take up the entire wide screen?

Seik

Banned
Hi all

I've modified my Wii U so I can play my Wii games through the harddrive. Everything is displaying in a boxed mode with the lines on the left and right. By everything I mean anything that isn't the main menu.

How do I make the vWii take up the entire wide screen?

In my case I switch my TV's input setting from 'Just Scan' to '16:9'.

Shafto

That's an issue with the HBC.

If you are prepared to install a forwarder to your USB loader, that will fix it completely. I've done it on mine, completely bypass Homebrew Channel.

The HBC bug basically sets the video mode, and it continues to effect anything it launches.

linkboy

Anyone know if anyone has been able to get the Wii U Pro Controller to work in the vWii mode.

Would love to play Mario 64 with that controller.

paolo11

Can anyone help me with my issue? Sorry to ask again. It's just that it's always black screen whenever I play my wii backup games on my passport HDD with Y cable.

Dash Kappei

So, now that you guys are here, what tutorial did you follow to softmod your WiiU (I guess it's called vWii)?

My Wii is already soft modded and all the IOSes are up to date so I'm not stranger to the process.

Hiccup

Banned
That's an issue with the HBC.

If you are prepared to install a forwarder to your USB loader, that will fix it completely. I've done it on mine, completely bypass Homebrew Channel.

The HBC bug basically sets the video mode, and it continues to effect anything it launches.

And fixed. Thanks!

Dash Kappei

Basically I need either Lego Indiana Jones 1 PAL or Smash Brawl, right?
I'm asking just so that I can go ahead and grab a copy of LIJ on ebay, found it brand new for 10€ shipped.
Unfortunately I've sold my copy of Brawl ages ago

Peagles

I changed the HDD to ntfs, made a folder and use wbfs game files instead of ISOS. Is this the correct way?

Did you rip your games using the actual console? I'm just trying to figure out if they wrote to the drive okay but won't run them, or if you wrote them to the drive using something else.

Can someone help me understand how you control Gamecube games while running backups through the Wii U? it has no GCN controller ports...?

EDIT: I guess by emulator you mean it can button-assign? So I'd be using the classic controller?

RetroGreg

Can someone help me understand how you control Gamecube games while running backups through the Wii U? it has no GCN controller ports...?

EDIT: I guess by emulator you mean it can button-assign? So I'd be using the classic controller?

I think they use an adapter that plugs into a wii mote that allows you to then plug in a wired gamecube controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393039051&sr=8-1&keywords=Gamecube+controller+adapter

Top Bottom