• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

aeolist

Banned
TunaLover said:
The latest MplayerCE play audio files through SMB doesn´t it?, make sure the config the SMB file inside the MplayerCE folder. If you has problems post here :)
Eh, it does but the playback is pretty limited. It's fine for videos but with audio files you need to set up a playlist or select them one at a time for playback. You can't shuffle or search for songs or do a lot of things that dedicated audio players are good at.

Hey guys, i got Tatsunoko vs Capcom now, my wii is 3.3U

I got homebrew channel installed ages ago but I accidentally formatted the SD card with all the system files and stuff for Gecko OS etc.. what are the files I need to get it back again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I probably won't have time to play it this year. :/
But for what it's worth, the new controls seem to work great, and the upgraded save system is always nice.

BTW - I don't know if you caught my comment in the other thread, but the previously broken post-play Club Nintendo surveys seems to have all been fixed. At least the 4 that were affecting me went through without issue a night or two ago.

Mejilan

Eh? Who said anything about a time limit?
I'm not 100% on this, but I heard that the beefed up save system simultaneously keeps a record of every single day you've passed. So you can replay any day you've already finished.

Cool beans!

Mejilan said:
Eh? Who said anything about a time limit?
I'm not 100% on this, but I heard that the beefed up save system simultaneously keeps a record of every single day you've passed. So you can replay any day you've already finished.

Oh that sounds awesome then.

Cool beans!

It worked! Huzzah! 40 more points to add!

Mejilan

Yeah, same here. I figured that since Wii Fit was adjusted to be worth 80 points, these would be adjusted to 30.

TunaLover

aeolist said:
Eh, it does but the playback is pretty limited. It's fine for videos but with audio files you need to set up a playlist or select them one at a time for playback. You can't shuffle or search for songs or do a lot of things that dedicated audio players are good at.

It's the only I know that have SMB, a good mp3 player is Dragon Media Player, it come complete with fancy blinking lights. You could check GeexBox too, I'm not sure if it has SMB though.

Baiano19 said:
Eh, I gave up trying to downgrade my semi-bricked Wii... hoppefully the 3.5 update should fix that...

I mean, is there a problem if I update my Wii ?( nstc, but my dumb brother updated the Disaster Pal update...)

You will be fine, the latest firmware overwrites the old one, independient from your region. In your case a 3.5U overwrites your 3.4E

I'm having a problem loading Madworld using Gecko OS. For some reason it gives me an error everytime I try to load it using Gecko OS. Anyone know what the problem is?

Dascu

Shadowlink123 said:
I'm having a problem loading Madworld using Gecko OS. For some reason it gives me an error everytime I try to load it using Gecko OS. Anyone know what the problem is?
I'll need GeckoOS to play MadWorld, so I'd like an answer to this question as well.

Otherwise... What apps allow region-free gaming other than GeckoOS?

Linkhero1

Dascu said:
I'll need GeckoOS to play MadWorld, so I'd like an answer to this question as well.

Otherwise... What apps allow region-free gaming other than GeckoOS?
I've tried with both GeckoOS and Wii Menu Loader.

GeckoOS: Whenever I launch the game I get a #002 error. I currently have a 3.3v1 U Wii console.

Wii Menu Loader: It shows up in the disc channel but whenever I start the game I get a black screen.

There are solutions out there, you'll have to look =)

markatisu

You have to look online for the solutions, they require installing IOS that are copyrighted or getting an updated/hacked Gecko OS which includes them

Posting links to that stuff here would be a violation I think

Sonic and the Black Knight and MadWorld both have the same new IOS requirement (which is in part why MadWorld comes with updated firmware), if you do not update your IOS somehow then the game will have problems running

You can search for the fix or search for the IOS number (there are three of them)

Linkzg said:
confirming this for all those who want to buy MadWorld

it requires an update to 3.3u and it's included on the DVD

False.

I have 3.2u and it stayed 3.2u after I loaded up madworld and did the update.

Dascu

Yeah, I've looked around and found some hacked GeckoOS that has a fix for the 002 error. Will try it when my copy arrives.

markatisu

Dascu said:
Yeah, I've looked around and found some hacked GeckoOS that has a fix for the 002 error. Will try it when my copy arrives.

that should fix it, if not I can pm you some more detailed info if you do not want (or cannot because of region) to update to the new firmware.

Dascu

markatisu said:
that should fix it, if not I can pm you some more detailed info if you do not want (or cannot because of region) to update to the new firmware.
That'd be nice, but let's hope it doesn't come to that. :)

Yep, Mario Power Tennis came with a firmware update (I'm on 3.3u) and decided to run it through Gecko - no problems. I was going to buy MadWorld sometime in the near future and it's good to hear that I don't have to update my firmware either to play (I like keeping track of my playtime through the Wii browser...the HBC one not so much).

Also, while waiting for one of my ps3 games to finish installing data to the HD, I decided to register my copy of Power Tennis and was pleasantly surprised to find out that Club Nintendo did fix all of their post-play surveys. Got 40 more coins from the surveys and then another 50 for Power Tennis.

markatisu

DavidDayton said:
Is there any -valid- reason not to update your firmware, though? The HBC works with the new firmware...

Nobody knows, Wii Brew has not released what is actually in the firmware. I myself am waiting for the big update Nintendo has planned for SD Cards before I update my firmware, till then I am using custom updates

Robobandit said:
False.

I have 3.2u and it stayed 3.2u after I loaded up madworld and did the update.

it's 3.3u for me, maybe that was what I had before the update then...which begs the question of what was updated at all.

Linkzg said:
it's 3.3u for me, maybe that was what I had before the update then...which begs the question of what was updated at all.

Maybe it just updated the IOS or something.. the firmware version didn't change.

markatisu

Robobandit said:
Maybe it just updated the IOS or something.. the firmware version didn't change.

Given the fact that MadWorld and Sonic and the Black Knight need 3 certain IOS that they did not have opened before (unless they had custom Homebrew) I would say its almost all IOS related

But thats the pitfalls when it comes to this stuff, Nintendo releases 1 update after another that close things off and then someone opens up others (I think that analogy that Homebrew was seen as a Hydra a few pages back is accurate)

VULKIN

I am having issues trying to play Mad World...

My Wii is 3.2U
Homebrew Channel 1.0.1
ISO36 v4.18

Gecko OS 1.07b
Menu Loader Current version

Gecko OS give me "This is not a valid Wii application" error and after restarting my Wii with Menu Loader and then starting Mad Word, the game hangs on a black screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to play Mad World but don't think it would be a good Idea to update my firmware.

DavidDayton said:
Is there any -valid- reason not to update your firmware, though? The HBC works with the new firmware...

Because one of the upcoming firmware updates could break HBC and as of 3.4 it's gotten to the point where they were lucky to get the Twilight Hack working again. Marcan and bushing have said to expect the any further updates to completely block it.

Which means if you update and it breaks/bricks HBC/your Wii, you're fucked.

TunaLover

pgtl_10 said:
I can't copy The Twighlight hack file to my Wii. Can anyone help me?

You need rid of your original Twilight Princess save. Make a backup of your TP original save and then delete it. You should be able to copy the hack to your Wii after that.

pgtl_10

TunaLover said:
You need rid of your original Twilight Princess save. Make a backup of your TP original save and then delete it. You should be able to copy the hack to your Wii after that.

I did that but while my SD in slot. Should I take it out?

Edit: Still won't copy.:(

MoogPaul

Is there anyway to clear the wii of any trace of homebrew? I've been through Disaster for quite some time and I don't really expect to import anything else in the near future. I think I can wait till Bootmii.

TunaLover

pgtl_10 said:
I did that but while my SD in slot. Should I take it out?

No, just delete your TP save -backup it if you want-, and copy the hack from your SD.
Bear in mind that TP hack has the same ID as a normal save, so you can't store TP SAVE + TP HACK in your Wii.

TunaLover

VULKIN said:
I am having issues trying to play Mad World...

My Wii is 3.2U
Homebrew Channel 1.0.1
ISO36 v4.18

Gecko OS 1.07b
Menu Loader Current version

Gecko OS give me "This is not a valid Wii application" error and after restarting my Wii with Menu Loader and then starting Mad Word, the game hangs on a black screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to play Mad World but don't think it would be a good Idea to update my firmware.

It needs IOS53, it's the only IOS that comes with the update though.

TunaLover

pgtl_10 said:
My Wii refuses to copy the file even after deleting Twighlight Princess save.

If you are running on 3.4, you need a special TP hack.

Twilight Hack 0.1beta1 is compatible with System Menu up to 3.3

Twilight Hack 0.1beta2 is compatible with System Menu 3.4.

markatisu

If anyone is still having problems running MadWorld under Gecko OS just pm me, I think I helped VULKIN and I tested it twice on mine twice to make sure it worked fine so I can pass along the version I am using which should work

pgtl_10

TunaLover said:
If you are running on 3.4, you need a special TP hack.

Twilight Hack 0.1beta1 is compatible with System Menu up to 3.3

Twilight Hack 0.1beta2 is compatible with System Menu 3.4.

Thanks that explains a lot. I used the Wii brew tool which did the work for you but I guess no one updated the Wiibrew tool.

Edit: Why does anyone want to play an import version of Madworld? Isn't the game coming to Europe?

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
If anyone is still having problems running MadWorld under Gecko OS just pm me, I think I helped VULKIN and I tested it twice on mine twice to make sure it worked fine so I can pass along the version I am using which should work
I think I know what you did and I did the same thing. Works fine for me and it loads through the disc channel fine. 3.3U pre-october 23rd update.

pgtl_10

Now I my system says it can't read boot.elf. I formatted my SD card for both FAT 16/32. Neither way worked. I have a 2GB Sandisk.

Linkhero1

pgtl_10 said:
Now I my system says it can't read boot.elf. I formatted my SD card for both FAT 16/32. Neither way worked. I have a 2GB Sandisk.
Try the .dol extension instead. I'm not sure .elf work anymore.

pgtl_10

Linkhero1 said:
What app are you trying to use? I believe most apps come with .elf and .dol.

Edit: Just so we're clear, this is in the HBC right?

The one I got on Wiibrew wiki page. I followed their instructions. I'm using the US file if that helps.

Yes Homebrew channel

Linkhero1

pgtl_10 said:
The one I got on Wiibrew wiki page. I followed their instructions. I'm using the US file if that helps.

Yes Homebrew channel
Are you trying to install the homebrew channel or are you trying to use an app within the homebrew channel?

Top Bottom