• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Clipper

I use a 1TB Verbatim USB External Drive.

And here's another update on recent additions to Cfg (up to v55a3):

• Support for Priiloader magic words (allows you to exit to the Wii Menu when autoboot is set)
  • Ability to exit to a channel (e.g., a forwarder, or even the Nintendo Channel or a game)
  • FAT and NTFS support for IOS249 rev 18

Clipper

Rev 19 of IOS249 has been released and it seems to be the best so far. Many bug fixes and FAT and NTFS support is still working with Cfg. I've updated the tutorial page to make it the default installation method for people.

Clipper

Anony said:
what fixes are rev 19? changes/improvement?
Over 18, it fixes a few games that weren't working. 18 allows for FAT and NTFS drive formats. You can also use IOS57 as the base now, which makes loading of games a little faster.

Clipper said:
Over 18, it fixes a few games that weren't working. 18 allows for FAT and NTFS drive formats. You can also use IOS57 as the base now, which makes loading of games a little faster.

Sorry for the noob question, could you use an NTFS formatted external drives to load games/apps or is this for media only?

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Sorry for the noob question, could you use an NTFS formatted external drives to load games/apps or is this for media only?
You can use it to load games, but you can't use it to install games (it's read only). Thus, it's mostly useless unless you're a pirate.

Anony

oh well, nothing that interests me (yet), not updating
probably wont update until there's a 'fix' for mp trilogy or i encounter a game that doesnt work

ravien56

So...the situation is, I have HBC installed via Twilight Hack, but this was done maybe a year ago and I haven't bothered doing anything else really with it till now and When NSMB came out, it automatically updated the wii...am i pretty much fucked? Is HBC not working anymore?

Clipper

ravien56 said:
So...the situation is, I have HBC installed via Twilight Hack, but this was done maybe a year ago and I haven't bothered doing anything else really with it till now and When NSMB came out, it automatically updated the wii...am i pretty much fucked? Is HBC not working anymore?
Read the thread title....

Datschge

Clipper said:
Rev 19 of IOS249 has been released and it seems to be the best so far.
I don't know if it's the IOS249v19, Cfg or just my HDD being supported by IOS222 and not IOS249, but for me Cfg v55b2 hangs (hard freezes Wii) when trying to start games so I had to revert to Cfg v54 for now.

Btw. any possibility for force feedback on hovering game covers, similar to how it feels in Wii Channels and HBC? That's like the last thing I'm really missing in Cfg. :lol

Chris R

Ok so I have installed BootMii and HBC (very easy! thanks to the Wiki) and I'm currently backing up with BootMii in case something bad ever happens!

The main reason I've done all this is to allow me to use Dolphin to play my Wii games in HD on my PC. The thing is there isn't any clear cut guide in the Wiki as to what I need to be doing.

This is all just a guess but I'm thinking I'll have to install some custom IOS and then install a USB Loader? I'm guessing that then I'll be able to plug the HDD into my PC and drag the ISOs over somehow? I don't want to do anything incorrectly so that is why I'm asking here first! Please don't ban me :(

edit: ok 249v19 installed (TOOK FOREVER... MEGAUPLOAD sucks shit) as well as a boot loader. I'm guessing I'll be able to convert these .wbfs files somehow to use them on dolphin. Didn't seen any option to rip straight to .iso :(

edit #2: ok, so installing that IOS and the USB Loader were the steps to take. Then I just have to rip the games to a WBFS format (Excite Bikes was small!!!) and then convert them back to the full sized ISO on my PC :| Sucks I can't keep the size down as 400ish MB is much preferred to 4.5GB. Maybe a section can be added to the Wiki for those who are looking to do just what I did, or at least add a few bullet points to the USB Loader page?

Clipper

rhfb said:
Maybe a section can be added to the Wiki for those who are looking to do just what I did, or at least add a few bullet points to the USB Loader page?
This would be opening a whole can of worms for piracy, which is why I specifically ignore this in the Wiki.

Chris R

Clipper said:
This would be opening a whole can of worms for piracy, which is why I specifically ignore this in the Wiki.
Ok then :) The guide was great though, the only issue I had with the entire thing was the horrible download link for the latest version of the CIOS. But I guess a new version (v20) is coming out very shortly so that probably wont be an issue for long.

Clipper said:
You can use it to load games, but you can't use it to install games (it's read only). Thus, it's mostly useless unless you're a pirate.

But couldn't you install your legit Wii games on the NTFS drive using a PC?

Naked Snake said:

There's a couple of ways to go about it - if you have the right drive you can rip games to your PC directly, you can have a one-game sized WBFS partition you rip to and then move over to NTFS. It's a bit of a hassle but it can be done, and keeps wasted space to a minimum.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Hence why I said it was mostly useless. Plus, downloading your games, whether you own them or not, is still piracy when ways exist to make you own backups (you are an accomplice to the pirate who uploaded the game). So yes, you would need to have one of the now very rare drives that could rip Wii games to a PC, or rip to a FAT drive first then copy it to the NTFS drive.

Seeing as NTFS has no real advantages over FAT32 where the Wii is concerned and actually has several disadvantages (e.g., you can't put covers, the executable and/or other support files on there), it seems pretty mostly useless to me :D.

Clipper said:
Hence why I said it was mostly useless. Plus, downloading your games, whether you own them or not, is still piracy when ways exist to make you own backups (you are an accomplice to the pirate who uploaded the game). So yes, you would need to have one of the now very rare drives that could rip Wii games to a PC, or rip to a FAT drive first then copy it to the NTFS drive.

Seeing as NTFS has no real advantages over FAT32 where the Wii is concerned and actually has several disadvantages (e.g., you can't put covers, the executable and/or other support files on there), it seems pretty mostly useless to me :D.

Yeah I see your points. Does a FAT32 partition need to be exclusive for Wii or can you have other stuff on it? I'm asking because I have a large FAT32 drive that I use to shuffle media between my PCs and watch videos off it on the PS3. Can I use the same drive with Wii USB loader without reformatting/repartitioning it?

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Yeah I see your points. Does a FAT32 partition need to be exclusive for Wii or can you have other stuff on it? I'm asking because I have a large FAT32 drive that I use to shuffle media between my PCs and watch videos off it on the PS3. Can I use the same drive with Wii USB loader without reformatting/repartitioning it?
You can have other stuff on it, so yes that will work.

I think someone should add a tutorial to the Homebrew Wiki on how to use hdparm to set your hard drive to not spin down because that makes games crash if they can't get the data fast enough and the game is like WTF disc is not ejected but no data oh shit GAME FREEZES AND REQUIRES A POWER CYCLE. :lol

ShinNL

Clipper said:
Thanks. I think I'll link there rather than Wiibrew.

Edit: OK, that's done. Would anybody else who'd like to do a little guinea pig work please test the Dop-Mii version of the boot2v4 update method to test whether the button sequence is the same?
I had:

Firmware 4.1E
Bootmii as boot2, backed up NAND
Updated Homebrew
Already had IOS249 and Hermes 222/223 installed.

Followed your tutorial. Every step was exactly as you typed it. Firmware 4.2, boot2v4 and Bootmii reinstall.

Backing up my NAND now.

So for me it was flawless, zero errors, thanks a lot Clipper for all your hard work!

Mmm, seems I can't access the Wii Shop Channel yet. It seems I have to follow another tutorial for that, I'll do that right now then. So I assume I have everything up to date and nothing missing after all this?

Edit: Wii Shop channel also updated, I'm a happy man :3

I need to buy an SD card to install HBC and do all the other jazz. I'd like to get the smallest SD card I can get away with (for cost reasons)... I intend to use a USB drive for most/all stuff, but I'm guessing some things will always require to be on an SD card?

The smallest card I can find is 2GB, and I intend to backup the Wii for safety reasons, so that's 528mb right of the bat (can I move the NAND from the SD card to free up space and later return it if needed?)

What else might I need SD card space for? Do some things work only or better through SD vs USB? I don't wanna get a 2GB card and then later wish I had gotten a bigger one :/

Really awesome Wiki by the way. Kudos to Clipper and anyone who worked on it.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
I need to buy an SD card to install HBC and do all the other jazz. I'd like to get the smallest SD card I can get away with (for cost reasons)... I intend to use a USB drive for most/all stuff, but I'm guessing some things will always require to be on an SD card?

The smallest card I can find is 2GB, and I intend to backup the Wii for safety reasons, so that's 528mb right of the bat (can I move the NAND from the SD card to free up space and later return it if needed?)

What else might I need SD card space for? Do some things work only or better through SD vs USB? I don't wanna get a 2GB card and then later wish I had gotten a bigger one :/

Really awesome Wiki by the way. Kudos to Clipper and anyone who worked on it.
2GB is plenty for pretty much anything. Yes, you can just move the NAND backup file to elsewhere.

Clipper

There's a new Cfg development in the 56a version that was just released.

It's an improvement to the alt .dol method which gets Sam and Max working and will probably allow difficulty and save slot selection in Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Clipper said:
There's a new Cfg development in the 56a version that was just released.

It's an improvement to the alt .dol method which gets Sam and Max working and will probably allow difficulty and save slot selection in Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Sweet motherfucking yes. I've been dying to rip Sam and Max.

Clipper

For Sam and Max, you have to get the R3X.wdm file from the NeoGamma RC4 download. You then put it into Cfg's base directory and go to the in-game options and push right at alt dol. This will bring up a menu allowing you to choose one of the options to start the game.

For SaM, you get to choose from any of the episodes or the tutorial. He also has a .wdm file there for MPT which I think does Novice difficulty but I can't be sure.

Oh..new page, yay:

As per the thread title, click here first:

Clipper

Dragona Akehi said:
Is the CFG folder you're talking about on the SD root or in /apps/?
The base directory. Which should be sd:/usb-loader for most people, and the apps directory for others. Cfg also tells you what the base directory is on the global options page.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Hey guys, I dunno wtf happened. Well maybe I kinda do, but I don't know how to fix it.

I recently installed and update through the Zangeki no Reginleiv disc that fucked up my USB loader and a few other homebrew programs. They just freeze at startup. I found out that my current Wii menu version is "480" v30 JAP, I can't seem to find any info on this, so any help would greatly be appreciated. I just got around to fixing my HDD, so I was kinda bummed that I couldn't put it to use today.

Clipper

sprsk said:
Hey guys, I dunno wtf happened. Well maybe I kinda do, but I don't know how to fix it.

I recently installed and update through the Zangeki no Reginleiv disc that fucked up my USB loader and a few other homebrew programs. They just freeze at startup. I found out that my current Wii menu version is "480" v30 JAP, I can't seem to find any info on this, so any help would greatly be appreciated. I just got around to fixing my HDD, so I was kinda bummed that I couldn't put it to use today.
OK, firstly, I assume your Wii is Japanese, so my first thought that you should have experienced a Wii brick isn't a problem (I just remembered your picture from SSBB :p).

It also seems like you have updated to 4.2, which would explain the remainder of the situation. Your Custom IOSes (249 and 222/223) have been stubbed and you need to reinstall them. Instructions to do so are on the relative pages of the tutorial and the Upgrade FAQ will teach you exactly what happened.

I updated Wiixplorer and the FTP client no longer works, what's the deal? I can still use FTPii but it was nice being able to transfer files and delete them using the same program.

Clipper

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Is there going to be an alt dol method for sam and max: Beyond time and space??
Most likely, yes. I didn't know it had even launched. Somebody will need to find the parameters to launch the various games. If you are lucky, they'll be the same as for the first one and you'll just need to rename the .wdm file to the correct ID.

sprsk

Clipper said:
OK, firstly, I assume your Wii is Japanese, so my first thought that you should have experienced a Wii brick isn't a problem (I just remembered your picture from SSBB :p).

It also seems like you have updated to 4.2, which would explain the remainder of the situation. Your Custom IOSes (249 and 222/223) have been stubbed and you need to reinstall them. Instructions to do so are on the relative pages of the tutorial and the Upgrade FAQ will teach you exactly what happened.

I was already on 4.2, looks like I installed one of those IOS updates that mess with boot2? My Wii stopped loading into bootmii (or whatever that multiple os screen is called).

TBH I'm a bit confused by all these IOSes and CIOSes and all that. What exactly am I going to need to do?

Clipper

sprsk said:
I was already on 4.2, looks like I installed one of those IOS updates that mess with boot2? My Wii stopped loading into bootmii (or whatever that multiple os screen is called).

TBH I'm a bit confused by all these IOSes and CIOSes and all that. What exactly am I going to need to do?
If you had already updated to 4.2 officially, then I guess this could have been an IOS update and it just happened to update everything else as it went.

In any case, let's take a look at the Upgrade FAQ I linked earlier...
I upgraded to 4.2 already using the official Nintendo updater. What did I lose?

The Homebrew Channel will have been deleted unless you upgraded it recently and if so will need to be reinstalled.
BootMii as boot2 will have been removed and must be reinstalled.
IOS249 will be gone and needs to be reinstalled via IOS250, which will have survived.
Hermes' IOS222/223 will be gone and needs to be reinstalled after IOS249 is recovered.

Each one of the links has instructions on how to reinstall, either in a titled section for upgrading/reinstalling or in the FAQ of the page.

sprsk

Clipper said:
If you had already updated to 4.2 officially, then I guess this could have been an IOS update and it just happened to update everything else as it went.

In any case, let's take a look at the Upgrade FAQ I linked earlier...

Each one of the links has instructions on how to reinstall, either in a titled section for upgrading/reinstalling or in the FAQ of the page.

Well like, for instance, last night I went through the tutorial for reinstalling bootmii, and I got an error (thats where I found out my version was that 480 V30 JAP) and it wouldn't install bootmii. Is it possible the update I installed is too new or something?

My homebrew channel still works, but I guess it's broken.

Clipper

sprsk said:
Well like, for instance, last night I went through the tutorial for reinstalling bootmii, and I got an error (thats where I found out my version was that 480 V30 JAP) and it wouldn't install bootmii. Is it possible the update I installed is too new or something?

My homebrew channel still works, but I guess it's broken.
What is the error? I can't think of anything that could cause that.

sprsk

Clipper said:
What is the error? I can't think of anything that could cause that.

Okay,

I'm running under IOS34 13.20
You have Wii System Menu version 480 (V30 JAP) installed.

The Homebrew Channel has only been tested with Wii System Menu version 354 (v22) and below.

(Then, after pressing accept...)

I'll configure The Homebrew Channel to use IOS36

Starting Installation...
Fixing up signature...
Installing ticket....
Error -1030002011 installing ticket
Installation Failed!
Press ACCEPT or CANCEL to exit to the Wii System Menu

NewFresh

Clipper said:
Most likely, yes. I didn't know it had even launched. Somebody will need to find the parameters to launch the various games. If you are lucky, they'll be the same as for the first one and you'll just need to rename the .wdm file to the correct ID.

Tried it by renaming the .wdm file to R3Y.wdm (SaM-season 2) from R3X.wdm (SaM-season 1) and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the help Clipper

Clipper

sprsk said:
Okay,

I'm running under IOS34 13.20
You have Wii System Menu version 480 (V30 JAP) installed.

The Homebrew Channel has only been tested with Wii System Menu version 354 (v22) and below.

I'll configure The Homebrew Channel to use IOS36

Starting Installation...
Fixing up signature...
Installing ticket....
Error -1030002011 installing ticket
Installation Failed!
Press ACCEPT or CANCEL to exit to the Wii System Menu
That is very strange. Did you redownload the latest Hackmii installer when trying this? Is that error just for BootMii? Try updating the HBC first and then try reinstalling BootMii afterwards.

josh_tarrant

Neo Member
Does anyone know how to get the cheats working for all games??

I used to be able to get the cheats for the majority of games - but i updated my USB loader and now when I try to download the cheats i get a http://404/error or something. My cheats are still available for the games that I downloaded before.

Any ideas?

sprsk

Clipper said:
That is very strange. Did you redownload the latest Hackmii installer when trying this? Is that error just for BootMii? Try updating the HBC first and then try reinstalling BootMii afterwards.

I can't pick to install bootmii or homebrew channel (they both come from the same thing right?) I have Bannerbomb and Hackmii installer on my sd card. The install program says The homebrew channel ver 1.0something at the top, so I wonder if it's something different? The instructions on the wiki make it sound like it's the same thing?

Is there any way I can't just revert everything and start from scratch?

sprsk

Okay I got bootmii back (whew) I went through the "upgrade bootmii" part of the wiki and it worked.

Now, I'm trying to get usbloader back up and running, but I'm not quite sure what to do here.

I have "Custom IOS Installer 2.1" with all the annoying loud rock music and it just kinda freezes when I try to pick an IOS.

Edit: I'm using cIOS 222 Installer and when I press A the wiimote stops working.

Clipper

sprsk said:
Okay I got bootmii back (whew) I went through the "upgrade bootmii" part of the wiki and it worked.

Now, I'm trying to get usbloader back up and running, but I'm not quite sure what to do here.

I have "Custom IOS Installer 2.1" with all the annoying loud rock music and it just kinda freezes when I try to pick an IOS.

Edit: I'm using cIOS 222 Installer and when I press A the wiimote stops working.
Did you make it through the IOS249 steps (loud music) or not? Note that you should be picking IOS250 as the installation IOS according to the instructions (you are reinstalling IOS249 after upgrading to 4.2 officially). You choose that by pushing left/right on the d-pad. Does it freeze after you push A to select IOS250 or at some other point? Also, you did follow the AnyTitle Deleter Mod steps, right?

If the above tips don't help, then follow the full installation for IOS249 from the top as if you had a 4.2 Wii upgraded by Nintendo.

The 222 installation method won't work until after you have successfully installed 249. It is possible that the installation might fail for one other reason, but I'd like to confirm that the listed instructions fail first. Also, ensure you don't have any GameCube memory cards or controllers plugged in and properly sync your Wiimote to the Wii before beginning (go to the Wii Menu then push the red sync button under the SD slot cover and then the one under the battery cover of the Wiimote in quick succession).

Yay, just did the Bannerbomb, BootMii, backed up NAND, installed HBC and HBC browser.

Next I want to install IOS249 and USB Loader. My firmware is 3.4U, is there any advantage to upgrading my firmware (via Safe 4.2 Upgrade)? And does it matter if I do it now or later?

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Yay, just did the Bannerbomb, BootMii, backed up NAND, installed HBC and HBC browser.

Next I want to install IOS249 and USB Loader. My firmware is 3.4U, is there any advantage to upgrading my firmware (via Safe 4.2 Upgrade)? And does it matter if I do it now or later?
The Upgrade FAQ has all your answers.

Hmm, I'm following the wiki and currently installing Hermes' IOS222/223, but when I got to the step:

Select to Install Custom IOS 222 and select IOS38 merged with IOS37

The app seemed to automatically select the first option instead, which said (Recommended), I guess I might have accidentally pressed the A button before scrolling down but I don't think I did! It downloaded stuff, finished installing and rebooted. What now, should I run the installer again and select the IOS38 merged with IOS37? Will that undo what it did? That's what sucks about blindly following technical instructions without knowing what they do.

Clipper

Naked Snake said:
Hmm, I'm following the wiki and currently installing Hermes' IOS222/223, but when I got to the step:

Select to Install Custom IOS 222 and select IOS38 merged with IOS37

The app seemed to automatically select the first option instead, which said (Recommended), I guess I might have accidentally pressed the A button before scrolling down but I don't think I did! It downloaded stuff, finished installing and rebooted. What now, should I run the installer again and select the IOS38 merged with IOS37? Will that undo what it did? That's what sucks about blindly following technical instructions without knowing what they do.
Either run it again and fix the error or install the 37 merged with 38 version to the 223 slot.

Top Bottom