• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaffer Claims To Have Created SuperPS3 (improved textures, draw-distance.. in games)

It's bullshit. For one thing, lapping heatsinks certainly wont produce any performance gain. That part is certainly wrong. So that at least demonstrated he doesn't know what he's talking about.

He also compares upgrading the CPU and GPU on PC's to run GTA mods, to what he did. Once again totally false comparison.

Also I dont believe there can be any performance improvements in a given game unless they were programmed in there. For example, if you just overclocked your 360/PS3 GPU if it were possible, I think it would just break games, not make them run faster. Certainly, draw distance seems like something that would have to be explicitly programmed in. Nothing you could do in hardware could increase it if it wasnt there to begin with.

One claim that seems to at least vaguely be reasonable on the surface, changing the Blu Ray to make it read faster. However I suspect the game would not know how to deal with a faster Blu Ray read anyway, and again it would just break it not improve performance.

mclem

specialguy said:
It's bullshit. For one thing, lapping heatsinks certainly wont produce any performance gain. That part is certainly wrong. So that at least demonstrated he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Oh, on the contrary, I'm certain he knows *exactly* what he's doing.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
...what?

I mean, good job mate, but you're not working on an analog FM radio there. It's completely bonkers to expect marginal signal improvement when talking about digital systems. The only thing you might be able to influence in any way is the analog part of your setup. Cables and shit (and only if you're using an output path that includes analog parts). Maybe clean your TV once in a while or get the dust off your speakers — that's infinitely more than you can do by replacing operationally identical parts inside a properly functioning von-Neumann-machine. Literally infinitely more.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
rhubbard16 said:
I apologize for that,
My job? Uh no....
It is common knowledge to increase ohms in the pots when PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube no longer read data. I demonstrated this technique at my repair shop succesfully with a multimeter.
The caps are deep watt caps and disperse less noise to the board and cleaner signal to each the components.
The ferrite core at the end of the unit is to filter out dirty incoming power, I did not need it anymore since I have already lowered the factor of dirty power being cleaned with a default filter in place with the carriage doing double duty acting as a filter just by being there and having those metals act like a giant ferrite core.
I am not using a stock power cable either I use tributaries.

Dude uses lots of big words I don't understand. Sounds legit to me. He uses a Fluke for fuck sake! Must be a pro.

LeleSocho

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
I apologize for that,
My job? Uh no....
It is common knowledge to increase ohms in the pots when PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube no longer read data. I demonstrated this technique at my repair shop succesfully with a multimeter.
The caps are deep watt caps and disperse less noise to the board and cleaner signal to each the components.
The ferrite core at the end of the unit is to filter out dirty incoming power, I did not need it anymore since I have already lowered the factor of dirty power being cleaned with a default filter in place with the carriage doing double duty acting as a filter just by being there and having those metals act like a giant ferrite core.
It is obvious that you are trolling like there is no tomorrow but i admit that your technobabbling is quite interesting, please continue.

rhubbard16 said:
Driving home now I guess support me while I'm gone or hate it's out of my hands!

Here's what I would like you to do for all the nice people:

1. Rent an untouched PS3 and put Uncharted in
2. Start playing a level and don't touch the controls
3. Take a screenshot
4. Disconnect the rented PS3
5. Plug in your Super PS3 Brothers 64
6. Start playing the same level and again don't touch the controls
7. Take a screenshot
8. Post both screenshots (original resolution) side-by-side

It's the only way you're going to be able to silence all these haters who can't see that you're trying to lead them through the fire to paradise.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Really, you're going to attribute this to his junior status instead of him either being a troll or actually mentally ill?

learn to assess covariation, noob.
Somebody's still a junior at heart I see. :p

Shanadeus

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
I apologize for that,
My job? Uh no....
I don't think this is anything meaningful.

Oh man, I don't know if there are any Head Fiers in here, but this guy totally reminds me of the infamous "audiophile" Patrick82 over at HF who years ago, bought a $25,000 USD power cable to power his headphone setup which he wrapped in expensive ERS paper. He then bought some crazy expensive Nordost Valhalla cable which was like $3000/ft. and hacked it up to modify the cable to compensate for supposed "weaknesses". Dude was a legend on the Internet and has some crazy ass videos on YouTube too. It was amazing cause he WASN'T trolling. He utterly believed every bit of it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/virtual-dynamics-judge-power-cable-arrived-412260/

I will be keeping an eye on this thread for the lulz

Zwei

specialguy said:
Also I dont believe there can be any performance improvements in a given game unless they were programmed in there.

That's my biggest question mark right there.

jim-jam bongs said:
Here's what I would like you to do for all the nice people:

1. Rent an untouched PS3 and put Uncharted in
2. Start playing a level and don't touch the controls
3. Take a screenshot
4. Disconnect the rented PS3
5. Plug in your Super PS3 Brothers 64
6. Start playing the same level and again don't touch the controls
7. Take a screenshot
8. Post both screenshots (original resolution) side-by-side

It's the only way you're going to be able to silence all these haters who can't see that you're trying to lead them through the fire to paradise.
AM AGREE.

Truespeed

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things.

They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

Red UFO

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Really, you're going to attribute this to his junior status instead of him either being a troll or actually mentally ill?

learn to assess covariation, noob.
It was just a light hearted joke, dude.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Risk Breaker said:
I don't know why most people think he ever talked about the GPU (okay, draw distance is totally gpu related but...), I think he's talking about improving the signal quality of all the components that output the image...

... LOL

Improved signal doesn't remove hardware/software locked things like draw distance and fog and shitty textures. It just makes them more apparent.

I don't really understand all the hate here. Dude has some pics showing what he did. The performance evidence isn't rock solid yet, but he's not backing off his claims. Hate can commence if real pics aren't up by Mon/Tues.

I like what your doin' hubbard

THE:MILKMAN

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Oh man, I don't know if there are any Head Fiers in here, but this guy totally reminds me of the infamous "audiophile" Patrick82 over at HF who years ago, bought a $25,000 USD power cable to power his headphone setup which he wrapped in expensive ERS paper. He then bought some crazy expensive Nordost Valhalla cable which was like $3000/ft. and hacked it up to modify the cable to compensate for supposed "weaknesses". Dude was a legend on the Internet and has some crazy ass videos on YouTube too. It was amazing cause he WASN'T trolling. He utterly believed every bit of it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/virtual-dynamics-judge-power-cable-arrived-412260/

I will be keeping an eye on this thread for the lulz

Yep this guy definitely reminded me of the odd audiofool on HiFi forums.

If he want's to spend a shit load of money on his PS3 and is convinced he has improved it, good luck to him.

I don't think he should try and convince gaffers though.

If he feels confident, he could do a double blind test with a standard PS3.

Edit: Oh fuck! the pictures on that Head-Fi link!! LOL? The guy looks a bit odd too.

DR2K

Banned
The_Leducs said:
I don't really understand all the hate here. Dude has some pics showing what he did. The performance evidence isn't rock solid yet, but he's not backing off his claims. Hate can commence if real pics aren't up by Mon/Tues.

I like what your doin' hubbard

He's full of shit until he can show some proof. Instead of calling everyone a troll or a hater.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
4nDaAl.jpg

thuway

Ugh fuck just lock this thread. This is a sad existence where GAFFer's actually believe this bullshit. This is the equivalent to someone telling me I could play as Ryu in Mortal Kombat 2 on SNES in third grade.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
rhubbard16 said:
You started this I hope you can follow me through the flames to paradise.

My body is ready rhubbard16, lets do this shit. I will follow you through the flames.

Top Bottom