• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: HARD LINES

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: HARD LINES DAY 5

2d87d59b89ef5c2b4eafcfd533d9d7b5.jpg

-Hard Lines on iTunes (Universal app, $0.99/€0.79/£0.69) 

Top 20 scores table for Day 5! Things are shaping up so that by the end of the challenge the whole
All Times TOP10 World's Leaderboard might be entirely GAF-approved :D
Anyway, 97 challengers?! C'mon then, almost up there, I want to break that 100 players barrier!

Remember, these scores might be from a few hours ago!
Any score mistakenly validated during the week will be wiped out for the final results on Day7.

#Current Results TOP20 - 97 players total (score holders listed as Game Center profiles)

336898540.6832281uuj.jpg

336995633.812730vj57.jpg

336995689.18147426c0.jpg

•Challenge's Times:

#STARTS September 1st, 02:00 (AM) GMT Update: it's ON!
#ENDS: September 8th, 00:05 (AM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time
t1315440300z0.png

Dash Kappei

SmokyDave said:
Woo-hoo, I must still be in the top 20!

Edit: Aaah, you big tease. I might need to play it again now.
Ahah, lol sorry man I always use the older one to update, so for a couple of minutes you catched the old one :p

Is it's any consolation we're both out of the top20 >_<

numble

Dash Kappei said:
New top20 in a couple of hours, probably less.

About the supposed über-randomness of the game, I don't think so. You need to know when to reset early on, after that it's all game; it's like Poker, you gotta play with your cards and you can still win some if you're served bad but it's important to know when to fold. I mean, just read what Numble wrote about his highscore.
Also, how could -Pyromaniac- consistently score >300k on the Today leaderboard. What I mean is that in the end you always have the top spots filled by people who deserve them, so it doesn't change much if there's randomness involved.
Nah, it's random as hell. Consistency in a score-based challenge should not be based on people constantly reshuffling the deck until you get a good hand, and it should also make people feel like they are constantly improving (which means their score should constantly be improving). Your personal high score should be "I did my very best" more than "That was my luckiest board." Pyro consistently scoring in the 300ks just emphasizes that point--his 480k is about double his average and is an outlier compared to how he normally does. And I consistently am under 90k but I got lucky once to get 370k.

To be fair, the 480K isn't because I got lucky, I just had a game where I was in god mode. I think in the last 15 seconds alone I must have killed about 15-20 lines. I was zipping and zooming and cutting em off left and right.

Also I've reached 400K a bunch of times since then, probably didn't show up on scores of the day but that's because I always reset when there is 5 seconds left and I have no chance of beating 480 :p

Getting lucky in this game goes A LONG WAY. But getting really good at the game will easily take you to 200-300K consistently with the occasional 400K.

mrkgoo

Dash Kappei said:
Ahah, lol sorry man I always use the older one to update, so for a couple of minutes you catched the old one :p

Is it's any consolation we're both out of the top20 >_<
I only have one friend, so it became my goal just to be best out of us.

Woo, top 20!

Edit: "catched"? :p

Dash Kappei

mrkgoo said:
I only have one friend, so it became my goal just to be best out of us.

Woo, top 20!

Edit: "catched"? :p
LMAO

Caught o_O
I deserve a pass tho, writing this stuff so early in the morning, deprived of spleep and english' not my first language you know :p

Dash Kappei

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: HARD LINES DAY 6

Top 40 scores table for Day 6! Just a few hours till it's over, remember to check the embedded clock below :)
Things are shaping up so that by the end of the challenge the whole
All Times TOP10 World's Leaderboard might be entirely GAF-approved :D
Anyway, 97 challengers, amazing that we've come just a couple of players short of breaking the 100 players barrier! Also, there's still time to enter the challenge so who knows!

Remember, these scores might be from a few hours ago!
Any score mistakenly validated during the week will be wiped out for the final results on Day7.

#Current Results TOP41 - 97 players total (score holders listed as Game Center profiles)

336898540.6832281uuj.jpg

337071098.195928ckux.jpg

337072224.385159mcpf.jpg

•Challenge's Times:

#STARTS September 1st, 02:00 (AM) GMT Update: it's ON!
#ENDS: September 8th, 00:05 (AM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time
t1315440300z0.png

Just broke 300k for the first time. That thing moves like lightning when the multiplier gets that high. A red at that speed and your wiping out the whole screen in seconds.

I not only conquered GAF, but conquered THE WORLD (save for clearly fake score above me :( )

This was a fun one, game made me rage sometimes but it was addicting.

Dash Kappei

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: HARD LINEShttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=30571396&posted=1#post30571396 Final Results
#game mode: DEAD LINES

Well, our fourth contest is over!
Participation has been amazing, we started with just a few more than 20 
Gaffers and we reached almost 100 players by the end, yay.
Many, many thanks go to user/dev Ninjagorilla from Simogo's who offered the gamecode prizes, you should check out his game Bumpy Road in the OP. Also thanks to Wario64 who offered a code for Groove Coaster.
Well, let's end this, shall we?

•PRIZES:
~
:drumrolls:
~
Congratulations, -Pyromaniac-! -
-Pyro- had already placed 2nd on the previous contest (Flick Kick Football), talk about a talented player, but what's more is that he basically scored the Worl'ds Top score on the game's Dead Line leaderboard!
Well, that's not it, since most of the top30 World's top scores are now 
Gaf-approved, awesome feat gaffers!  Once again, thanks to everyone who has played, hopefully you had fun even if you placed in the lower spots :)

•2nd Place: Wario 64 Bumpy Road gamecode

•3rd Place: numble Bumpy Road gamecode

•4th Place Tunesmith Kosmo Spin gamecode or Bit Trip Blitz. appgift (US)

•Raffle's Winner: #95, SirFox Groove Coaster app gift (US)

•Raffle's Winner 2: #69 MikeE21286 Kosmo Spin gamecode

Final Results: 98 participants (2 retired) - Players listed as Game Center profiles

336898540.6832281uuj.jpg

337184560.8997645e9m.jpg

337184648.775596hwb0.jpg

337184807.153798b5s9.jpg

337184861.790420z3vq.jpg

337184900.40942482qw.jpg

Dash Kappei

These Gaffers need to contact me to claim their prize:

•1st Place: -Pyromaniac- Bumpy Road gamecode

•2nd Place: Wario 64 Bumpy Road gamecode

•3rd Place: numble Bumpy Road gamecode

•4th Place Tunesmith Kosmo Spin gamecode or Bit Trip Blitz. appgift (US)

•Raffle's Winner: #95, SirFox Groove Coaster app gift (US)

•Raffle's Winner 2: #69 MikeE21286 Kosmo Spin gamecode

----

Remember, codes have an expiration date so you should use them asap.

numble

So what should I do if I already have Bumpy Road? Maybe you can give it to someone else or use it for another challenge?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Congrats to Pyro and the other top monsters!

I had no proper time to sink into this in the past 2 days and this got me kicked out of the GAF top 10, sobs (by a single spot. damn you, Dash!). Anyway, fun times, even though I never managed to upgrade to the 300k league (I did it in my heart) it still feels good considering I thought I wouldn't even crack 100k at the start. Will certainly be back for the next challenge with a vengeance.

jlevel13

I'm really impressed by Pyro and Wario's high scores. I spent far too long trying to improve on my 310,000, but that was definitely my peak (not complaining about finishing 6th). For me, it was just really hard to get on a good roll - I spent so much time starting over and over again in the first second to the first minute if things weren't going my way - which they weren't 90% of the time - that I did start to kind of hate the mode by the end of the week.

Not impressed by how many people didn't even hit 100,000 though - seems like they must not have even tried more that a couple times? C'mon GAF! That's sort of the problem with some of these arcade games, the devs have built in great leaderboard features, but few people even try - just play a few times and move on to the next game? It's the competition that really adds the most fun to the gameplay, I think (maybe because I grew up on arcade games).

Thanks Dash!

Thanks people. Yeah the gaf challenge definitely makes the game we play 100 times more interesting. Don't think I ever would have played dead lines much let alone be so high in the leader board. But I couldn't let another flick kick football happen :p

Aand yeah good job, dash.

Dash Kappei

numble said:
So what should I do if I already have Bumpy Road? Maybe you can give it to someone else or use it for another challenge?

Sure, I'll give it to Tunesmith who placed below you, thanks for telling me!
Dunno if you've already got that as well but I can give you a Kosmo Spin code instead.

Dash Kappei

Fuu said:
Congrats to Pyro and the other top monsters!

I had no proper time to sink into this in the past 2 days and this got me kicked out of the GAF top 10, sobs (by a single spot. damn you, Dash!). Anyway, fun times, even though I never managed to upgrade to the 300k league (I did it in my heart) it still feels good considering I thought I wouldn't even crack 100k at the start. Will certainly be back for the next challenge with a vengeance.

Ahah, sorry mate! But I've been knocked two spots from #7 myself, in the very last ten minutes of the challenge, damn! :p

Edit: appreaciate a lot all the "thank you" you're sending my way guys

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'd graciously accept the Bumpy Road code in numble's place if he passes on it.

I really didn't think I'd end up so high up in the top, the 316k score game was mostly a fluke. Died twice really early on but decided to keep at it, then got lucky with reds at the end. Had a couple of more games at around 310k but couldn't quite manage to get into the groove + red combo again after that.

Really great competition, I would've never played this as much as I did during it and would've missed out on the really cool game that Hard Lines really is.

Vagabundo

jlevel13 said:
I'm really impressed by Pyro and Wario's high scores. I spent far too long trying to improve on my 310,000, but that was definitely my peak (not complaining about finishing 6th). For me, it was just really hard to get on a good roll - I spent so much time starting over and over again in the first second to the first minute if things weren't going my way - which they weren't 90% of the time - that I did start to kind of hate the mode by the end of the week.

Not impressed by how many people didn't even hit 100,000 though - seems like they must not have even tried more that a couple times? C'mon GAF! That's sort of the problem with some of these arcade games, the devs have built in great leaderboard features, but few people even try - just play a few times and move on to the next game? It's the competition that really adds the most fun to the gameplay, I think (maybe because I grew up on arcade games).

Thanks Dash!

For me some life stuff happened - a stray dog arrived at the house, half starved and I didn't get any time since. Looks like we might be keeping him, a beautiful german Shepard cross I called Dusty. ;)..

Wow at the scores. Congrats folks.

numble

Dash Kappei said:
Sure, I'll give it to Tunesmith who placed below you, thanks for telling me!
Dunno if you've already got that as well but I can give you a Kosmo Spin code instead.
I can take a Kosmo Spin code :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Welp, that was fun! I almost have all the achievements thanks to this challenge. Only one I really need is the kill 15 lines with 1 red pill or whatever it is. Which seems pretty insane.

Really enjoyed this challenge, sunk a lot of time into it. I actually set my highest score with the sound turned off, I found when the music speeded up it made me panic and more likely to make a mistake!

Those red dots... will have nightmares about them being gobbled up by those evil lines, grrrrr!

Thanks dash, look forward to the next game.

Fuu

Wario64 said:
Welp, that was fun! I almost have all the achievements thanks to this challenge. Only one I really need is the kill 15 lines with 1 red pill or whatever it is. Which seems pretty insane.
Same for me, except I'm also missing the "LOVE YOU!" achievement because I have no idea how to get it. It says I have to "listen to all of 'the song'", wat.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Fuu said:
Same for me, except I'm also missing the "LOVE YOU!" achievement because I have no idea how to get it. It says I have to "listen to all of 'the song'", wat.

I haven't gotten it yet but I think you just watch the credits for that one

Fuu

Wario64 said:
I haven't gotten it yet but I think you just watch the credits for that one
That dit it, thanks. I actually thought about it before but the only time I quickly entered the credits I thought they rolled in silence because the song takes a few seconds to start, haha.

Dash Kappei

Welp, numble got banned, why?
Hopefully it's a short one, he's an amazing player in the challenges and he also sent a few codes my way for the next prizepot

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks again Dash, and Ninjagorilla, for organizing a really fun competition with some great prizes! :)

(Now the proud owner of 100% of Simogo's games!)

Mega Man

Probably would have never played this game with out the challenge. Turned out to be a pretty fun ride :D Thanks guys!

Dash Kappei

Jme said:
is there a new challenge yet? has a game been decided?
Nope, not yet. Setting up and following the challenges is very time consuming, so I always wait at least 10 days before starting a new one after the previous has ended.
Check the Touch Gaming thread for the annoucement and game-of-choice voting (edit: beaten, thanks Fuu)

Dash Kappei said:
Welp, numble got banned, why?
Hopefully it's a short one, he's an amazing player in the challenges and he also sent a few codes my way for the next prizepot
he requested to be banned for an unspecified amount of time for personal reasons

Dash Kappei

-Pyromaniac- said:
he requested to be banned for an unspecified amount of time for personal reasons
Oh, I understand. No sweat then :)
He also gave me codes for the next prizepot before "leaving", good man.

Top Bottom