• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
I was watching Arlo’s Odyssey review, and there was one line that really stuck out. I’m going to paraphrase, because copying and pasting an audio quote is a Sith power I haven’t learned yet.

He basically said that, whereas other games date rapidly, and are cycled out and replaced as quickly as they came in, by new installments, this doesn’t really happen with Nintendo games. They remain relevant, loved, and revisited for years, if not decades, more resembling a well of incredible gaming that fills a bit more with every new game.

I really, really liked that.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I was watching Arlo’s Odyssey review, and there was one line that really stuck out. I’m going to paraphrase, because copying and pasting an audio quote is a Sith power I haven’t learned yet.

He basically said that, whereas other games date rapidly, and are cycled out and replaced as quickly as they came in, by new installments, this doesn’t really happen with Nintendo games. They remain relevant, loved, and revisited for years, if not decades, more resembling a well of incredible gaming that fills a bit more with every new game.

I really, really liked that.

It's a good point. I mean honestly, is Super Mario World ever going to date? It really is perfection. It is literally impossible for anyone to top that as a 2D platformer. And will SNES Zelda ever date? It's still amazing fun to play. There's just a certain magic, absolute fucking magic, that Nintendo have that nobody else can consistently achieve. I fear the day we lose that, because that will be the day gaming loses its soul forever.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies for double-post but I just wanted to add how much Paper Mario has grown on me. It really is gorgeous to look at, that we all know, and it manages to get a good chuckle out of me, it's so playful with the world and conventions of the Mario universe, while providing a good solid fun little game. I'm at the theme park at the moment and honestly it's really fun, I'm even finding the battle system quite enjoyable now my brain has managed to wrap itself around the puzzles (for whatever reason I was struggling early on). It's not particularly hard, but that doesn't matter. I'm having fun with it. Between that and Links Awakening (with sessions on Streets Of Rage 4 for downtime) my Switch gaming time is pretty awesome at the moment. No way I'm going to get these cleared in time for the arrival of Mario 3D Allstars next week (been having some fun with the original all-stars) but that's fine - I've got a fantastic little backlog to work through. I won't be selling my Switch, it's a god damn miracle machine.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Apologies for double-post but I just wanted to add how much Paper Mario has grown on me. It really is gorgeous to look at, that we all know, and it manages to get a good chuckle out of me, it's so playful with the world and conventions of the Mario universe, while providing a good solid fun little game. I'm at the theme park at the moment and honestly it's really fun, I'm even finding the battle system quite enjoyable now my brain has managed to wrap itself around the puzzles (for whatever reason I was struggling early on). It's not particularly hard, but that doesn't matter. I'm having fun with it. Between that and Links Awakening (with sessions on Streets Of Rage 4 for downtime) my Switch gaming time is pretty awesome at the moment. No way I'm going to get these cleared in time for the arrival of Mario 3D Allstars next week (been having some fun with the original all-stars) but that's fine - I've got a fantastic little backlog to work through. I won't be selling my Switch, it's a god damn miracle machine.

I love hearing your thoughts on games. Especially as a new Nintendo fan. What a charming game I really wish that people that hated on it just because of the battle system would give it a try.

it was just more of an exploration game for me with some good puzzles.

wait until you get to the yellow streamer that was my favorite and the whole dungeon had me cracking up.

bobby is king.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I love hearing your thoughts on games. Especially as a new Nintendo fan. What a charming game I really wish that people that hated on it just because of the battle system would give it a try.

it was just more of an exploration game for me with some good puzzles.

wait until you get to the yellow streamer that was my favorite and the whole dungeon had me cracking up.

bobby is king.

I enjoy posting about them. The thing is this stuff is teaching me so much about game design, about that certain magic that makes an ordinary game great. It can be little things, like the speech samples in Mega Lo Mania or Stronghold which give both games so much charm, or it can be a wry sense of humour like Monkey Island or Damocles, or it can be perfect mechanics like Mario, it can be perfect readability of environment like every god damn Nintendo game ever made (ok the ones I've played). None of those are things influenced by teraflops, they're the things that make games art rather than product.

Agree on the exploration. Funnily enough I've really enjoyed finding little hidden areas and secrets. I've enjoyed looking for the chests even though I don't really care about what's inside, just to find the little hidden nooks and crannies of the world. And Bobby is awesome, he's an absolute peach.

The thing is I thought the Switch would be fun, something different, but it's ended up being so much more than I expected. My poor gaming PCs barely get a look in these days. This little box of tricks has reminded me what games are about again, it's brought back the love of gaming that I had in the 90s, that VR ignited for a bit before running out of good games (I still love racing in it though), that had been dimmed by so much of the output we see today be it grimdark or pet spoon or microtransaction-hell. Nintendo are a fucking treasure.

Jooxed

Gold Member
-Arcadia- -Arcadia- did you ever get into Paper Mario?

@hariseldon yeah honestly I was falling off gaming Prior to the switches release. My ps4 was collecting dust with my PC.

Nintendo and the people on GAF have got me to try genres I would never think to play before just because of how convenient and awesome this little machine is.

-Arcadia-

Banned
-Arcadia- -Arcadia- did you ever get into Paper Mario?

@hariseldon yeah honestly I was falling off gaming Prior to the switches release. My ps4 was collecting dust with my PC.

Nintendo and the people on GAF have got me to try genres I would never think to play before just because of how convenient and awesome this little machine is.

I was waiting until I cleared out a game, which I did with Odyssey (for now — that amazing, amazing post-game is waiting for me), but... 3D All Stars happened. Lol.

I will get to it. I’m really glad it turned out to be an awesome game, and what looks like another can’t-miss Switch experience, despite the obvious, valid criticism.

And the convenience factor cannot be overstated. When you turn your PS4 off or even in sleep mode, you will not be back in your game in literally 3 seconds like on the Switch, exactly where you left off. Actually surprised at how big of a thing that turned out to be for me. To the point even where I prefer playing 3rd party games on it over everything else.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I was waiting until I cleared out a game, which I did with Odyssey (for now — that amazing, amazing post-game is waiting for me), but... 3D All Stars happened. Lol.

I will get to it. I’m really glad it turned out to be an awesome game, and what looks like another can’t-miss Switch experience, despite the obvious, valid criticism.

Make sure you get to it - for me most of the criticisms initially felt valid but then fell away as I found myself more engrossed in the game and started to understand it more.

And the convenience factor cannot be overstated. When you turn your PS4 off or even in sleep mode, you will not be back in your game in literally 3 seconds like on the Switch, exactly where you left off. Actually surprised at how big of a thing that turned out to be for me. To the point even where I prefer playing 3rd party games on it over everything else.

Absolutely. That and being able to play on the big tv and then when the wife wants it to just whip the Switch out of the dock and carry on handheld. Or the fact that I've just had a few days in devon with the wife and been able to have some Switch time there. Couldn't have done that with a PS4, could have done it with my gaming laptop but honestly it's clunky in comparison and boils my legs. I didn't think it'd be a big deal but it is.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Make sure you get to it - for me most of the criticisms initially felt valid but then fell away as I found myself more engrossed in the game and started to understand it more.

Well, I’ll never forgive turning Paper Mario into a whole other series for the last 10 years (which is what I mean), but I can certainly can put it aside for a bit to play a genuinely great game that came out of that.

I definitely will. It and Crysis (did anyone here ever get that, btw?) are really tempting me,

Jooxed

Gold Member
Well, I’ll never forgive turning Paper Mario into a whole other series for the last 10 years (which is what I mean), but I can certainly can put it aside for a bit to play a genuinely great game that came out of that.

I definitely will. It and Crysis (did anyone here ever get that, btw?) are really tempting me,

I really wanted to until I found out it didn't have multiplayer. I think the switch is severely missing a COD FPS. Rogue Company is great but it's really.. basic? Overwatch is a great port, but still just missing a straight up FPS without hero abilities.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I really wanted to until I found out it didn't have multiplayer. I think the switch is severely missing a COD FPS. Rogue Company is great but it's really.. basic? Overwatch is a great port, but still just missing a straight up FPS without hero abilities.

I don’t understand why they don’t bring over CoD mobile. I’ve never researched it, besides hearing great things, and thinking the trailer looked awesome, but it seems like such a good game, and a surefire hit.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Tbh Crysis is ok - I've played it on the PC. The thing is at the time it was obviously important - can your machine run Crysis and all that, and it's fun in its own way with the suit powers, but it's really not a game that lasts long in the memory, or at least not for me. I don't have that instant knowledge of the level layout like I do for so many games, nor is my brain hard-wired to the controls. It's a good game, no doubt, but it isn't great, and when our backlogs are so big why add games that are just good? Sure it's a technical achievement to get it onto the Switch, but for me it's not worth it.

Jooxed

Gold Member
PSA if anyone plays Dead by Daylight on their switch. There is a glitch that when it is docked the graphics will look super blurry like its in handheld mode. Just undock and redock your switch while Dead by Daylight is open and it will be fixed.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Local game store had The Origami King on sale for 50€. I thought it was a fair price, so I bought one. Hope it's good.

You're in for a good time. Pro-tip, when you first play it, make sure you do it when you're not tired otherwise the battle puzzle system might not stick. That contributed to my early struggles. Approaching it with a clearer head helped immensely.

Jooxed

Gold Member
You're in for a good time. Pro-tip, when you first play it, make sure you do it when you're not tired otherwise the battle puzzle system might not stick. That contributed to my early struggles. Approaching it with a clearer head helped immensely.

Honestly once i started skipping all the battles I could I enjoyed it a lot more as well. I only battled when I needed some extra coins or the wave ran at me.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly once i started skipping all the battles I could I enjoyed it a lot more as well. I only battled when I needed some extra coins or the wave ran at me.

You can skip battles?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just not engaging with the enemies I meant and running around the enemies.

Ah yes I do that sometimes if I'm in a hurry. Adding more HP so you can just hammer enemies before a fight kicks off is also pretty useful.

I bought The Outer Worlds for Switch, and wow, no one make my mistake. The game looks rough and plays poorly. I'm honestly surprised at how badly it performs. I played through The Witcher 3 on Switch, and although the graphics took a hit, it was still impressive and played well enough. The Outer Worlds looks like a blurry mess, and the lowered settings ruin any of the charm of the artsyle and setting. It's very disappointing.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I bought The Outer Worlds for Switch, and wow, no one make my mistake. The game looks rough and plays poorly. I'm honestly surprised at how badly it performs. I played through The Witcher 3 on Switch, and although the graphics took a hit, it was still impressive and played well enough. The Outer Worlds looks like a blurry mess, and the lowered settings ruin any of the charm of the artsyle and setting. It's very disappointing.

I still have it to get around to it. @hariseldon really talked down my ambition to play it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I still have it to get around to it. @hariseldon really talked down my ambition to play it.

Tbh the only thing the game has going for it is visuals. It's poorly-written with dull gameplay systems. The Switch was never going to be as technically strong but could have carried the art style - however if even that sucks then there's really no reason to play it on the Switch.

Jooxed Jooxed @hariseldon
I played through it on PC at release. It's not a great game, but I enjoyed the setting and overall style. I was hoping it would be something I could play on the go. The visuals just took such a massive hit. It looks far worse than all of the last-gen ports I've played on the Switch. It's startling how much of the visual character of the game is lost.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
My Costco membership is used almost exclusively to buy Made in Mexico Coca-Cola, Hot Dogs from the deli, Gas, Rotisserie Chicken, and discounted eShop gift cards.

That said I just pre-ordered Mario All Stars and Hyrule Warriors.

-Arcadia-

Banned
My Costco membership is used almost exclusively to buy Made in Mexico Coca-Cola, Hot Dogs from the deli, Gas, Rotisserie Chicken, and discounted eShop gift cards.

That said I just pre-ordered Mario All Stars and Hyrule Warriors.

Going to preorder Mario today. ( :

One step closer, and it always feels good to donate to the poor/GameStop.

wgqhBnr.jpg

Aldric

It's a good point. I mean honestly, is Super Mario World ever going to date? It really is perfection. It is literally impossible for anyone to top that as a 2D platformer. And will SNES Zelda ever date? It's still amazing fun to play. There's just a certain magic, absolute fucking magic, that Nintendo have that nobody else can consistently achieve. I fear the day we lose that, because that will be the day gaming loses its soul forever.
That's the thing with Nintendo, I've seen a lot of people online trying to downplay their importance and the impact they've had on the industry by arguing they haven't invented anything and that the credit they get is undeserved because others have done it before them but that's missing the point. Nintendo have the unparalleled ability to fit things together in ways that create blueprints the rest of the gaming world then follows. So Mario might not have been the first platformer but it still codified the genre, Metroid wasn't the first sidescrolling exploration game but indie games still follow its design conventions today, lock on systems existed in 3D games before OoT but it's Z targeting that was adopted by everyone etc.

They're game design geniuses and there's really no other companies with comparable influence. Capcom might be the closest one funnily enough.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I probably pick up PS5 if Kena comes out at launch.

Similar feelings here. It and Spider-Man might actually be some really cool gaming for the Fall.

(Sigh) I kind of want a Series X too, despite that there's nothing I'm interested in right now.

Tesseract Tesseract

That's the thing with Nintendo, I've seen a lot of people online trying to downplay their importance and the impact they've had on the industry by arguing they haven't invented anything and that the credit they get is undeserved because others have done it before them but that's missing the point. Nintendo have the unparalleled ability to fit things together in ways that create blueprints the rest of the gaming world then follows. So Mario might not have been the first platformer but it still codified the genre, Metroid wasn't the first sidescrolling exploration game but indie games still follow its design conventions today, lock on systems existed in 3D games before OoT but it's Z targeting that was adopted by everyone etc.

They're game design geniuses and there's really no other companies with comparable influence. Capcom might be the closest one funnily enough.

Yep. Warriors get hung up on first, but nobody really cares. If you made the first wheel, but it was a ridiculous square that nobody could ever use, then yeah, people are going to celebrate the one that actually made a proper circular wheel after, and made it viable and useful.

Last edited:
I was curious and wanted to ask NintendoGaf, with preorders opening up soon. Anyone planning on getting a Series X or PS5? Abstaining?

Gonna abstain this time. PS4 has been the Bloodborne machine for me for most of its life, as much as I love that game I can't justify buying a PS5 for MAYBE one or two games that I can't get on PC that interest me. I've had every single PS console in the past for reference.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We told one of you Marios not to touch it. Not because it is a shit port but because it is a boring game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I was curious and wanted to ask NintendoGaf, with preorders opening up soon. Anyone planning on getting a Series X or PS5? Abstaining?

I was, but the complete lack of anything I want to play on them lost me. At least for launch. Kena looks cool, but I'm like 99% sure it's coming to PC. Most of the other games I'm interested in haven't been announced for PC, but will be on PC. So I'm getting a 3090 this fall instead. And an EXA Arcadia for arcade stuff as I'd mentioned previously, because I'm a broken record.

Top Bottom