• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah I never understood BD's hype. Played the first one and it wasn't even fun for me

Played plenty better JRPGs to like this game

Yeah. I adored the art style of the first one, but yesterday was my first real extended experience with these games, and it’s just... I’ve played this game a million times before.

I’m sure JRPG and Bravely fans will love it, though, and that’s awesome.

For me though, Octopath Traveller ( ❤ ) and Xenoblade 2 are where it’s at for RPGs on this system.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah I never understood BD's hype. Played the first one and it wasn't even fun for me

I enjoyed BD, but definitely wouldn't consider it a genre great. The battle system was novel, and a couple of the major plot twists were pretty cool, but there wasn't enough content to justify the game's protracted length. And while the music was good, there were like 4 songs in the entire game, and it got suuuuuuper grating after a while.

I'm optimistic that a more tightly-designed take could be fantastic, though. Really hoping BDII does it.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I hate when they do this, why even have only one game on the cart and have to download the rest. They must realize not everyone has a 1TB SD card 🤷‍♂️
I realize its for cost saving but still hate it. Oh well , I’ll still probably grab all 3 because I’m retarded like that.

Never played the original Xenoblade Chronicles does it have anything to do with the second game or is it a stand alone story?

Fun little video :messenger_heart:

there is some light references at the end of the second game but it isa standalone for the most part.

Danny Dudekisser

Not the first time I’ve heard this, but as I’ve never played it, how so? I really loved what was done in Octopath with the Boost system.

The BD system basically makes you think a lot harder about how you approach each turn -- it's the only RPG I've played where defending is a valid move, and doesn't just feel like a waste of a turn. And stacking up a bunch of action points and attacking an enemy like 8 times in a row with each of your characters is suuuuper satisfying. It's a tough game, too, so it really pushes you to strategize more than 99% of RPGs.

I still haven't played Octopath, though I do have it on my Switch... so I can't really compare the two.

Jooxed

Gold Member
The BD system basically makes you think a lot harder about how you approach each turn -- it's the only RPG I've played where defending is a valid move, and doesn't just feel like a waste of a turn. And stacking up a bunch of action points and attacking an enemy like 8 times in a row with each of your characters is suuuuper satisfying. It's a tough game, too, so it really pushes you to strategize more than 99% of RPGs.

I still haven't played Octopath, though I do have it on my Switch... so I can't really compare the two.

you should play octopath though I will admit the secret bosses and dungeons I am going through right now are much more challenging the the actual stories though it is probably one of my favorite switch games.

Danny Dudekisser

you should play octopath though I will admit the secret bosses and dungeons I am going through right now are much more challenging the the actual stories though it is probably one of my favorite switch games.

How's the soundtrack? I'm going to finish (finally) playing through Blaster Master Zero tonight, but was gonna start on Catherine: Full Body after that. Should I change my plans?

Jooxed

Gold Member
How's the soundtrack? I'm going to finish (finally) playing through Blaster Master Zero tonight, but was gonna start on Catherine: Full Body after that. Should I change my plans?

probably one of the best parts of the game. Though don’t go into it expecting a full interconnected story it’s 8 separate small stories and the characters rarely acknowledge each other’s presences. They do so every so often through party chat. There is an epilogue dungeon that loosely ties all 8 stories together though. However o enjoyed all stories and the game. There is a demo still which carries over into progress.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I'm with you on that one. I enjoyed the battle system and thought certain aspects of it, namely the towns, looked gorgeous. But I disliked the story so much that it dragged the rest of the game down for me. It was the same issue I had with Octopath. If I hear great things about the story in BD2, it'll be a no brainer purchase for me. But until then, I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Though don’t go into it expecting a full interconnected story it’s 8 separate small stories

This was one of my favorite parts. It snapped Square Enix out of the ‘Epic JRPG Story’ headspace and actually made them do new, interesting things. I wouldn’t throw all the awards at the stories or anything, but I really, really enjoyed them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally LOVE BD series and I really like BD2’s visuals and combat system, so I’m personally very hype for it.

Last edited:

StormCell

This was one of my favorite parts. It snapped Square Enix out of the ‘Epic JRPG Story’ headspace and actually made them do new, interesting things. I wouldn’t throw all the awards at the stories or anything, but I really, really enjoyed them.

I've passed on Octopath Traveler so far because I know the stories don't really interconnect and the characters just sort of come together for "no reason.". I guess I'm looking to be sold, though.

I did play the demo and thought it was good.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've passed on Octopath Traveler so far because I know the stories don't really interconnect and the characters just sort of come together for "no reason.". I guess I'm looking to be sold, though.

I did play the demo and thought it was good.

I’d call it a minor flaw in a really cool game. I think Octopath is absolutely one of the best, most unique Switch games, and something that anyone interested should check out.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

Question: Is there some resource out there that lists the games on Switch that have some sort of exclusive content? Trying to figure out which other multiplatform games I should be getting on the Switch. Some of them are obvious, like Hyper Light Drifter - Special Edition or The Way Remastered, but lots of games have additional features that are kinda hidden unless you do some research.

Everything announced after the release of Xenoblade this year is a bonus to me. Even if it would've been the last game released on Switch this year, I would've been content with it. That's how much the game means to me. It is the absolute best JRPG since...what? Xenogears? Chrono Trigger? Lost Odyssey? the traditional Final Fantasy games?

Yeah. I adored the art style of the first one, but yesterday was my first real extended experience with these games, and it’s just... I’ve played this game a million times before.

I’m sure JRPG and Bravely fans will love it, though, and that’s awesome.

For me though, Octopath Traveller ( ❤ ) and Xenoblade 2 are where it’s at for RPGs on this system.

Your an RPG fan and don't like DQXI??? What sort of blasphemy is this.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I still need to play Dragon Quest, too. There are some visual compromises, but the port adds sooooo much that I can't imagine playing it elsewhere. And that soundtrack? My God.
I can't recommend it enough. Like you said, there are obvious visual compromises, but the art style really carries it in the looks department and overall it's one of my favorite games this gen.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It is quite boring and I've played almost every JRPG in existence. I'd say the last 4 Tales games were better games. Yeah. Soundtrack is ok though.
Raises hand. It was way too bland and the music blew. Played it with the voices off as well. Ps4 version.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danjin44

It is quite boring and I've played almost every JRPG in existence. I'd say the last 4 Tales games were better games. Yeah. Soundtrack is ok though.

Raises hand. It was way too bland and the music blew. Played it with the voices off as well. Ps4 version.
It seems you just don't enjoy traditional style JRPG like DQ and Octopath. I other hand enjoy both SMT/Persona style and more traditional style like DQ and Octopath/BD.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It seems you just don't enjoy traditional style JRPG like DQ and Octopath.Octopath/BD.
Nah I like traditional JRPGs. Most of my game library is basically that. Octopath started off fine but it relied too much on trying to appease to older JRPG fans without standing out itself. While DQ11 just looked...good? I just didn't expect to be playing 8 again but bigger. Oh wait both games were games I played without it being different enough for me to care about maybe? 🤷 Not sure what you meant by SMT being different gameplay wise when most of the mainline games play pretty much like turn based jrpgs. Man I would have loved playing XC2 with DQ11's gameplay. That game had it all for me outside a proper stable framerate and MMO like gameplay.

I like Octo because it doesn't follow atypical anime tropes in it's character designs or story for a JRPG.

It's one of the reasons I love Valkyrie Profile.

One of the main gripes I have about XC2 is it's just too "anime" at times for me.

RealGassy

Banned
That's easy.
If you're an RPG fan, that means you have played quite a few RPGs.
And if that's the case DQ11 has literally nothing new to offer, it's an absolute borefest.
The same old antiqued battle system and same old gameplay mechanics.
Same old uninspired story.

Which is fine if all you're looking for is a kiddy, excessively conservative, traditional JRPG.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Not sure what you meant by SMT being different gameplay wise when most of the mainline games play pretty much like turn based jrpgs
SMT/Persona are turn based RPG but their structure is very different than your traditional JRPG.
Man I would have loved playing XC2 with DQ11's gameplay
But Xenoblade combat system is part of the series same way press turn system is for SMT/Persona.
One of the main gripes I have about XC2 is it's just too "anime" at times for me.
I never understood that complain, original Xenoblade was also very "anime" (its seems has become a bad thing for some reason), I think the difference is XC2 is much more over the top which I personally like about the game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like Octo because it doesn't follow atypical anime tropes in it's character designs or story for a JRPG.
But that's wrong?
It's one of the reasons I love Valkyrie Profile.
Arngrim is literally Guts. Wut.
Everything is a trope by now, but XC2 character's chemistry was what made me keep playing. Japanese animation is different (hell this game had like 13 different types easy) but if you want to get technical all of these games are "anime".

That's easy.
If you're an RPG fan, that means you have played quite a few RPGs.
And if that's the case DQ11 has literally nothing new to offer, it's an absolute borefest.
The same old antiqued battle system and same old gameplay mechanics.
Same old uninspired story.

Which is fine if all you're looking for is a kiddy, excessively conservative, traditional JRPG.
I wouldn't call it kiddy but I agree on the other points. Some of us like the old gameplay mechanics but still want idk a different kind of story. I mean I enjoyed Death End (a compile hearts aka shit company game) way more for its VN and edgy trash over this. Even the soundtrack was better and it wasn't made by an orchestra.

SMT/Persona are turn based RPG but their structure is anything like your traditional JRPG.
Have you played Strange Journey or Soul Hackers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Danjin44

Have you played Strange Journey or Soul Hackers?
I played Strange Journey but not Souls Hackers. Strange Journey plays like very hardcore dungeon crawler rather than traditional JRPG and one of the SMT games that demon fusion is even more important because of alignment system.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I played Strange Journey but not Souls Hackers. Strange Journey plays very hardcore dungeon crawler rather than traditional JRPG and one SMT games that demon fusion is even more important because of alignment system.
The gameplay alone is very much traditional jrpg though. Just because a series has demon fusion doesn't change what it is core wise. Hell I consider World of Final Fantasy a traditional jrpg as well.

Danjin44

The gameplay alone is very much traditional jrpg though. Just because a series has demon fusion doesn't change what it is core wise. Hell I consider World of Final Fantasy a traditional jrpg as well.
Sure, but I have seen people who are in to "traditional jrpg" but not in to SMT/Persona and I think it has more to do with their structure. In most cases SMT/Persona don't have over world or visiting different towns, you are mostly going through long dungeons.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but I have seen people who are in to "traditional jrpg" but not in to SMT/Persona and I think it has more to do with their structure.
I think it has to do more with the fact they don't look like modern JRPGs more than anything the dungeon crawling is a secondary effect lol. I'm sure these same people would play a ps2 SMT than the 3ds one but doesn't not strip it of being a traditional jrpg IMO.

Sure, but I have seen people who are in to "traditional jrpg" but not in to SMT/Persona and I think it has more to do with their structure. In most cases SMT/Persona don't have over world or visiting different towns, you are mostly going through long dungeons.

Speaking of, Digital Devil Saga is another series I would love to see brought on modern consoles/PC. Same with Nocturne. Graphically they've held up pretty well because of their art style.

Instead Atlus will be like "Here's Catherine again for the upteenth time"

Danjin44

I think it has to do more with the fact they don't look like modern JRPGs more than anything the dungeon crawling is a secondary effect lol. I'm sure these same people would play a ps2 SMT than the 3ds one but doesn't not strip it of being a traditional jrpg IMO.
I honestly don’t care either way it’s considered “traditional JRPG” or not, I love games like. DQ/Octopath, SMT/Persona and Xenoblade 1&2.

Speaking of, Digital Devil Saga is another series I would love to see brought on modern consoles/PC. Same with Nocturne. Graphically they've held up pretty well because of their art style.
Yeah, those games absolutely DO NOT need a graphical update, the visuals aged like a fine wine.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t care either way it’s considered “traditional JRPG” or not, I love games like. DQ/Octopath, SMT/Persona and Xenoblade 1&2.

Yeah, those games absolutely DO NOT need a graphical update, the visuals aged like a fine wine.

Danjin have you gotten the expansion pass for Three Houses? DLC worth it or no?

Danjin44

Danjin have you gotten the expansion pass for Three Houses? DLC worth it or no?
To me Wave 1 - 3 wasn't all that interesting but I really liked Cindered Shadows DLC, especially if you still haven't done all the routes yet, the stand alone side story from gameplay perspective was very interesting and give you nice challenge but you also you get nice stuff for base game like new classes and new area to explore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom