• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

I'm mostly fine with Nintendo offerings latelly, would like a new Wario Land.

But wish Sega announces new Shinobi and a Ristar sequel. Since I don't want them on PS, theen it's Switch or XB or Steam.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I know this mostly wishful thinking but I hope Atlus decides to show us something, anything from SMT 5 in upcoming Nintendo direct, I'm really starting to worry this game might entirely canceled.

I'm very happy with my Switch, but my biggest reason even decided to get Switch in the first place was because of SMT5 announcement.

I still wish the Persona 5 rumors would have been true, I didn't finish it on PS4

I know this mostly wishful thinking but I hope Atlus decides to show us something, anything from SMT 5 in upcoming Nintendo direct, I'm really starting to worry this game might entirely canceled.

I'm very happy with my Switch, but my biggest reason even decided to get Switch in the first place was because of SMT5 announcement.

Maybe you won't need a Switch afterall:

Since this is a hype thread, I want to make some hype predictions for the January Direct. Let's do this:

First Party:
- Xenoblade DE shown (newly added content)
- but hey, Monolith Soft hasn't just been working on a HD remaster: Here's the new medieval fantasy action-rpg ip!
- BotW-gameplay (trailer for Game Awards)
- new Smash Bros DLC
- new Star Fox-game, basically furry-Gesrs of War with vehicles (it's time)
- 3D-Kirby game
- fuckin' Donkey Kong 3 from RetroStudios (completing their trilogy)

Third Party:
- Kingdom Hearts Collections for Switch
- Final Fantasy 13 for Switch
- Nier Collection for all systems incl. Switch
- Resident Evil 7 Switch (nobody wants this)
- Code Vein Switch (Bandai Namco sigh ...)
- Hatsune Miku Mega Mix-release date
- Mass Effect Trilogy Switch (full remake for PS4/Xbox announced a week later 🐧)
- Red Dead Redemption 1 for Switch (outta nowhere!)
- Last chance for Monster Hunter Switch. If it's not here, it'll be time already for Capcom to hype nextgen MonHun
- Endless Ocean 3 (because I want it)

I don't like to mention it because there's no proof (how could there be ...), but I've been long assuming that the censorship of Tokyo Mirage Sessions was an act of revenge against gamers from Treehouse. Why? Because the year before gamers highlighted how Treehouse's Alison Rapp was secretly working as a prostitue, which then got her fired for several reasons. Sounds crazy? Yes, but not any crazier than changing a girl sleeping on a bench (jap version) to upright sitting on a bench (west version). The censorship of TMS was done to such comical degree that somebody at Treehouse *must* have had an axe to grind. At least that's what I believe. Unfortunately, no way to find out.

I like your hype predictions. I would include Xenosaga Trilogy HD lol

The situation with Alisson Rapp was fucked up imo. She may have been a feminist, but more on the sex positive side.

"“The reality is, I actually had no involvement with localized content changes of any kind,” Rapp said today, as she’d told us in December. “Come on, I *wanted* the XCX [Xenoblade Chronicles X] boob slider!”

Imo the problem is that america is prude. Nintendo seems to have become a bit more relaxed in that regards and they let Nintendo of europe take over for Xenoblade 2 localisation. Also Nintendo wants 1 version worldwide which gives us this problems. In the case of Tokyo Mirage sadly the one version for all is the american prude version. Can't be helped.

Perhaps they really wanted that age rating (teen 12 or older) at that time. Also Atlus is said to have been involved in localization it too. In the end it doesn't really matter, we get the censored version again and i won't buy it a second time. If you haven't played it before and are interested: It wasn't a lewd game to begin with and the censorship, as bad as it is, doesn't take away too much from the core experience. The 16-21 year old female characters are still sweet.

Maybe you won't need a Switch afterall:

I don't believe that anonymous source. Sounds like bullshit to be honest. We know that Atlus takes extremely long for games nowadays. They worked for like 5-6 years on Persona 5? So it doesn't make me nervous they don't show SMT V for some time. Sony wants persona exclusivity and pays money to promote it (they are not very consistent in their hate for teens in sexy clothes). Also they have the anime etc. . I would believe Joker for Smash is partially because of Sakurai and partially to give Atlus a reason to consider switch for more Persona games in the future. "See we do something to promote you, too" I really doubt it has anything to do with the censorship of an old Wii U game. I mean it's cheap money for atlus.

I like your hype predictions. I would include Xenosaga Trilogy HD lol

Didn't wanna be greedy. ;i

The situation with Alisson Rapp was fucked up imo. She may have been a feminist, but more on the sex positive side.

What matters is that she was rightfully fired, threetimes justified:
- moonshining Nintendo
- moonshining Nintendo with prostitution when she was very active on social media as a Nintendo employee
- prostitution being illegal where she lived

Really not anyone's fault but her own.

But it leads me to believe what I wrote.

Also Atlus is said to have been involved in localization it too.

They were executing wghat Nintendo Treehouse forced them to do. Co-director Hirata later publically expressed his disappointment over the excessive changes, calling the western version the 'cute version' even.

If you haven't played it before and are interested: It wasn't a lewd game to begin with and the censorship, as bad as it is, doesn't take away too much from the core experience. The 16-21 year old female characters are still sweet.

I've seen all the changes in CensoredGaming's great video analysis. I simply don't want to support such puritan, crass, irrational censorship. Again: a girl lying on a bench was changed to sitting upright - wtf was the problem here? Somebody at Treehouse must have thought 'can't depict a girl this defenseless!!1' 🙄

I don't believe that anonymous source. Sounds like bullshit to be honest.

I'm not sure either, but it'd explain a lot. But I'll be waiting. If smt5 goes multiplat, I'll believe it.[/quote]

Last edited:
They were executing wghat Nintendo Treehouse forced them to do. Co-director Hirata later publically expressed his disappointment over the excessive changes, calling the western version the 'cute version' even.

I heard that the Treehouse Team during the Wii U era were fired because of how badly the Wii U sales were?

Is that true?

Bodatan

Banned
BOTW2 and pro SKU around next gen consoles release and BOTW bundled for older SKU at the same time as well. That might cause some upsets during next gen launch window 😁😂🤣

BOTW2 and pro SKU around next gen consoles release and BOTW bundled for older SKU at the same time as well. That might cause some upsets during next gen launch window 😁😂🤣

I'd love a Switch Pro, but I just don't see you market that in the vicinity of Scarlet/PS5 launch.

"Here's the new Switch Pro that runs your games in slightly higher resolution and better framerate, but still below PS4-graphics and we can't make Pro-exclusive content because it wouldn't make sense business-wise. Who cares about nextgen, amirite?!"

🐧

Bodatan

Banned
I'd love a Switch Pro, but I just don't see you market that in the vicinity of Scarlet/PS5 launch.

"Here's the new Switch Pro that runs your games in slightly higher resolution and better framerate, but still below PS4-graphics and we can't make Pro-exclusive content because it wouldn't make sense business-wise. Who cares about nextgen, amirite?!"

🐧
Play the best game of the generation that only available on the Switch systems and become more Chad by playing on higher resolution on Switch Pro.

Even nearly 3 years on the market not even a single price cut for the system and that's the sign, the sign of Chad system.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console in this Generation after all.
💪😎🤳💣

Jooxed

Gold Member
Play the best game of the generation that only available on the Switch systems and become more Chad by playing on higher resolution on Switch Pro.

Even nearly 3 years on the market not even a single price cut for the system and that's the sign, the sign of Chad system.

Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console in this Generation after all.
💪😎🤳💣

Lol what a Chad reply

Zannegan

I tend to agree. The only way they can compete is on resolution, as in, IF they had a console that could play Switch games in native 4k (which is significantly easier than playing next get games at 1080, I'd wager) then they could, hypothetically just say "All your Nintendo favorites in 4K."

Uninformed consumers might not look beyond the resolution numbers (or they might be plenty informed and straight up just not care, if the price is right).

That's their only play in terms of "competition," but really, I think they're better off focusing on carving out their own market and existing alongside the more powerful consoles rather than trying to go head to head.

Bodatan

Banned
I tend to agree. The only way they can compete is on resolution, as in, IF they had a console that could play Switch games in native 4k (which is significantly easier than playing next get games at 1080, I'd wager) then they could, hypothetically just say "All your Nintendo favorites in 4K."

Uninformed consumers might not look beyond the resolution numbers (or they might be plenty informed and straight up just not care, if the price is right).

That's their only play in terms of "competition," but really, I think they're better off focusing on carving out their own market and existing alongside the more powerful consoles rather than trying to go head to head.
Switch is the first and the only dedicated hybrid gaming system available on the market currently, I think at this point only fanboys would make a comparison between Switch against other home consoles in term of raw power similar to mobile phone vs home console.

Nintendo could easily use the strongest hybrid console on market as the tagline for the marketing purpose of PRO SKU and no one would go insane to compare it with next gen console when it comes to performance.

1080p screen and better thermal solution for CPU and GPU frequencies of Mariko Chip to draw maximum 649 GFLOPS in Docked mode and ~50% in undocked mode.

349$ price point and releasing it along BOTW2 is going to destroy both Sony and Microsoft anus during next gen launch window.

Very Chad and very Nintendo.😎

Rat Rage

You do realize, that's excactly what Nintendo has been doing with the last 3 generations of their home consoles.

Wii introduced a cheap price + motion gaming (which was and still is a huge deal on nintendo systems)
Wii U was just a massive failure because the concept of a second screen failed, marketing failed, and they made the console way to similar to the Wii (probably because they thought it had to be as close of a resemblance as possible to the Wii, in order to get the same group of custormers - yet the blue ocean crowd had already moved on).
Nintendo Switch is a hybrid system, has really decent graphical power, great design, good marketing, improved motion gaming (although you could argue that ommiting the IR sensor bar was a downgrade). It's basically mostly what a successor to almighty Wii should have looked in the first place.

So all in all, like it has been said by Nintendo Execs, Nintendo isn't really competing head to head with Sony and Msoft. Especially with the Switch they have found their territory in the market - that is, mobile gaming combined with past Nintendo strenghts (handheld gaming, motion gaming, lots of 1st party exclusives you can't get anywhere else).

This is the place they have to defend (and very likely won't have any true competition in) and innovate. That's why it completely doesn't matter whether or not Nintendo releases a Switch Pro. To be honest, I don't even think they should. If anything they should just release something along the lines of a Switch XL with slightly larger screens but the same dimensions as well as meking sure future joyon controllers don't have the drift anymore.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Who doesn't like indies?
I’m not a huge fan.

I’ve been burned a few times by listening to all the hype about an indie game, buying it and then realising it was shit.

There is the occasional gem here or there, but the vast majority are severely overrated and overpriced.

I am glad they exist, though. More games is never a bad thing (unless you are trying to navigate the eShop, lol).

Jooxed

Gold Member
I’m not a huge fan.

I’ve been burned a few times by listening to all the hype about an indie game, buying it and then realising it was shit.

There is the occasional gem here or there, but the vast majority are severely overrated and overpriced.

I am glad they exist, though. More games is never a bad thing (unless you are trying to navigate the eShop, lol).

I would agree with you for the most part being, but I would also say games like Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Katana Zero and Ori are fantastic

everything in between is kinda filler for me and a rehash of the other. But thank you for presenting yourself other than “ugh indies”

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I would agree with you for the most part being, but I would also say games like Hollow Knight, Cuphead, Katana Zero and Ori are fantastic

everything in between is kinda filler for me and a rehash of the other. But thank you for presenting yourself other than “ugh indies”
Hollow Knight was one of the games I was disappointed with after buying it. Probably more to do with me not liking the rogue-like genre (or whatever it’s called where you die and lose your shit and have to start from the beginning every time).

Jooxed

Gold Member
Hollow Knight was one of the games I was disappointed with after buying it. Probably more to do with me not liking the rogue-like genre (or whatever it’s called where you die and lose your shit and have to start from the beginning every time).

Fair enough, to each their own. I’ll try not to hold it against you

Last edited:

McRazzle

You do realize, that's excactly what Nintendo has been doing with the last 3 generations of their home consoles.

Wii introduced a cheap price + motion gaming (which was and still is a huge deal on nintendo systems)
Wii U was just a massive failure because the concept of a second screen failed, marketing failed, and they made the console way to similar to the Wii (probably because they thought it had to be as close of a resemblance as possible to the Wii, in order to get the same group of custormers - yet the blue ocean crowd had already moved on).
Nintendo Switch is a hybrid system, has really decent graphical power, great design, good marketing, improved motion gaming (although you could argue that ommiting the IR sensor bar was a downgrade). It's basically mostly what a successor to almighty Wii should have looked in the first place.

So all in all, like it has been said by Nintendo Execs, Nintendo isn't really competing head to head with Sony and Msoft. Especially with the Switch they have found their territory in the market - that is, mobile gaming combined with past Nintendo strenghts (handheld gaming, motion gaming, lots of 1st party exclusives you can't get anywhere else).

This is the place they have to defend (and very likely won't have any true competition in) and innovate. That's why it completely doesn't matter whether or not Nintendo releases a Switch Pro. To be honest, I don't even think they should. If anything they should just release something along the lines of a Switch XL with slightly larger screens but the same dimensions as well as meking sure future joyon controllers don't have the drift anymore.

So Nintendo is never going to do VR, raytracing, or native 4K gaming,
Ever?

I don't think they have much choice but to put something significantly more powerful out in 2020, as they're not taking market share from the competition and they've completely failed to expand their user-base with the Switch, and they stated themselves at the beginning of the Switch's life-cycle that the Switch wouldn't be a success if they failed to do that.
They have a perfect opportunity next year to shake things up a bit, at the very least they could compete against Lockhart, and at probably a better price.
For example, the GTX 1650 Super outperforms the GTX 1060, P$4 Pro and XBoxOneX and it retails for around $150.00 USD, even for Nintendo it would be absurd to not take advantage of that.
But if they wait till after the next gen launches to put something out, they would never gain any traction in market share.

Jooxed

Gold Member

Another Mista Mista thread Mega Man Zero collection

Jooxed

Gold Member
Wow. Megaton. Didn’t see that coming.

Is this Sony saying: “Hey fellas, help us pay for the license fees.”? Lol.

I feel like they were seeing they were leaving money on the table just sticking with Sony.

im also pretty surprised we haven’t seen a Madden or NHL game on switch yet. Though with what EA did with the new FIFA release I can’t say I’m shocked they don’t want to invest anything into the system.

Jooxed

Gold Member
King Zell Reputable leaker that leaked a lot of Nintendo things in the past teasing Halo related things for switch again.

NKFXJe9.jpg

Jooxed

Gold Member
Nintendo uploaded a private video to their Smash Bros. YouTube channel.
Most likely new character announcement during game awards.

I think 2/3 of them were researched to be ads maybe the third too but I can’t remember. If it is hopefully someone out of left field for smash we won’t expect

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Probably No MPT tonight, Sorry Fam

xZs6DCx.jpg

fRSOLda.jpg
Has Emily ever predicted anything correctly?

I never gave a fuck enough to care, but I vaguely remember her gaining some notoriety by leaking information just before an event or something. Information that she learned from her boyfriend who worked around marketing for Nintendo. This happened once. Has she got anything correct since? Because that shit you quoted is just guesses that even I have assumed is likely based on what everyone knows.

Likewise with this NateDrake fellow. What’s he predicted?

Jooxed

Gold Member
Has Emily ever predicted anything correctly?

I never gave a fuck enough to care, but I vaguely remember her gaining some notoriety by leaking information just before an event or something. Information that she learned from her boyfriend who worked around marketing for Nintendo. This happened once. Has she got anything correct since? Because that shit you quoted is just guesses that even I have assumed is likely based on what everyone knows.

Likewise with this NateDrake fellow. What’s he predicted?

she actually leaked the entirety of last years switch lineup correctly and had a pretty good track record and seemed to be pretty knowledgeable over there.

Nate Drake I have no idea

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Please no cross contamination with reset era, nothing positive comes from that shit hole.

You’d be crazy to think half the people that post the threads around here don’t get their info from Resetera first champ. This being the leak thread I’m just posting from where the supposed “leakers” are

DESTROYA

You’d be crazy to think half the people that post the threads around here don’t get their info from Resetera first champ. This being the leak thread I’m just posting from where the supposed “leakers” are
I highly doubt that, most GAF members avoid that place and realize what a toxic hell hole it is.
You can call me crazy but there are many other sources that are more reliable . OK champ.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
she actually leaked the entirety of last years switch lineup correctly and had a pretty good track record and seemed to be pretty knowledgeable over there.
Do you have a screencap of the post you are referring to? Preferably not a REEE link as I don’t do Era.

I’m curious if it is the event I was talking about.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Do you have a screencap of the post you are referring to? Preferably not a REEE link as I don’t do Era.

I’m curious if it is the event I was talking about.

I will dig it up the screencap from my home PC and DM it to you when I get out of work

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope they also show some gameplay for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. I’m curious to know the changes they made to the combat.

Top Bottom