• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Not everyone can be born with impeccable taste. Maybe he missed the stunning visuals, interesting Japanese mythology, and wonderful characters. Maybe the amazing combat and unique brush mechanics were lost on him.

Jokes aside, I know Okami is a somewhat polarizing game. It's certainly not for everybody. As for Sakuna, Tekkie's thoughts pretty much mirror my own. (Since we're the same person.)

np9zK2z.png

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Nintendo have been slow as fuck releasing games. If you didn't like animal crossing then 2020 offered nothing at all. Pokemon sword fucking sucks and is the worst RPG I've played in at least the last 5 years. The joycons feel like trash tier fisher-price knockoffs, no friends list functionality, sub native resolution games. The switch had BotW, an ok 7/10 zelda and fuck-all since.

Good input.

You sound like a proper miserable cunt.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think the people have spoken, and they’re tired of dooming and hyperboleing.

It’s something I’ve seen my entire time in the Nintendo fanbase. The miserable segment that is never happy, and is acting like having to be a Nintendo fan is some kind of war crime against them. Personally, if I felt like that about hardware and software, I’d maturely express it and just leave.

Kind of glad to see it not flying. There’s criticism, then there’s dragging everyone else down.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hello Nintenchads!

Whenever my friend who is a Nintendo fanboy posts a picture of food, or anything unrelated to Nintendo, he'll make sure to sneak in a picture of something Nintendo related in the corner of the picture to remind everyone of the greatness of Nintendo. It'll either be a switch, or amiibo or a Nintendo related merchandise.

This is how much he loves Nintendo and his way of promoting Nintendo products. In this case, to remind everyone to get a Switch if they haven't. And to get another switch if they already have one.

Genius level marketing.

@Bodomism - Take notes.

Nh3WHqc.jpg
I do that but with the Wii U.

Clarissa

Banned
I think the people have spoken, and they’re tired of dooming and hyperboleing.

It’s something I’ve seen my entire time in the Nintendo fanbase. The miserable segment that is never happy, and is acting like having to be a Nintendo fan is some kind of war crime against them. Personally, if I felt like that about hardware and software, I’d maturely express it and just leave.

Kind of glad to see it not flying. There’s criticism, then there’s dragging everyone else down.

Then you need to make new friends like my Friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy, who can turn negatives into positives.
When asked about the Joycon drifting issue and the numerous lawsuits against Nintendo, he laughed and said "Collecting all the different coloured joycons has been a joy to me. Seeing all the beautiful colours just brightens up my day and my kids love them so much. I have countless joycons that drifted but I see that as an opportunity by Nintendo to collect and display them. Without the drift (notice he didn't use the word issue because Joycon drift isn't an issue to him), I wouldn't have thought of the idea of collecting them." That said, he looked at his joycon collection lovingly and beamed like a proud parent.

These are just some of my friend's Joycons (with custom shells).

a3vUaXP.jpg

When asked about the lack of first party games in 2020, he said that Nintendo values polish and making complete games very much, unlike PlayStation games. Good things come to those who wait, but Nintendo games aren't good things. They are GREAT things, so be patient and wait a little longer. He predicts Switch Pro (that will beat the shit out of PS5), BOTW 2, a Zelda Collection akin to Super Mario 3D All Stars, and a surprise game by Nintendo in 2021. When asked about what's that surprise game by Nintendo, he smiled and said "It's a surprise. Nintendo always gives surprises."

And to all who complain about BOTW (I'm looking at you Corgi 1985, you must be a bitch), my friend says that the game invented open world games, and you can climb mountains in that game unlike Horizon Zero Dawn, and that weapon breaking feature? Well, it's to let you try out different weapons. Korok seeds are a joy to collect and again to those cunts who complain about the shrines being samey and short? They are made easy and short on purpose so that people new to gaming won't feel intimidated by long boring dungeons.

My friend would also remind you that Pokemon Sword and Shield has sold around 20 million and counting. So if one person thinks it sucks, remember that there are 19,999,999 people out there who loves them.

To those who complain about the low resolution and low framerate on Switch, he says it's to remind you of the simple days of gaming in the past. Where fun and gameplay mattered above all else. You didn't mind gaming on sub 480p resolutions and less than 60 fps in the past didn't you? You simply enjoyed gaming because it was so pure and so fun. That's what Nintendo games are all about. And being able to take your Switch wherever with you and game on the go is such a joy.

Lastly, (I've posted this before), to those who question why Nintendo games never drop in price, he laughed and said "Do you ever see the price of Gold fall? No, right? Instead, their price rise over time. Nintendo games are like treasure, so why would you expect the price of their games to fall? They should rise in value because they are so great. You should be lucky Nintendo doesn't raise their price so why should anyone demand that Nintendo give discounts on their games?

If any of you ever waver and question your love of Nintendo, close your eyes and remember my friend's wise words.

Also -Arcadia- -Arcadia- , I know you're not keen on the Vaccine, but my friend is getting it soon so he can go to Japan asap with his family to visit Super Nintendo World and also Nintendo HQ in Kyoto. I'll let you know if the vaccine has any side effects, like turning my friend from a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony into a (gasp!) Sony Fanboy who hates Nintendo.

Lionel Richie Lionel Richie

Last edited:
Then you need to make new friends like my Friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy, who can turn negatives into positives.
When asked about the Joycon drifting issue and the numerous lawsuits against Nintendo, he laughed and said "Collecting all the different coloured joycons has been a joy to me. Seeing all the beautiful colours just brightens up my day and my kids love them so much. I have countless joycons that drifted but I see that as an opportunity by Nintendo to collect and display them. Without the drift (notice he didn't use the word issue because Joycon drift isn't an issue to him), I wouldn't have thought of the idea of collecting them." That said, he looked at his joycon collection lovingly and beamed like a proud parent.

a3vUaXP.jpg

When asked about the lack of first party games in 2020, he said that Nintendo values polish and making complete games very much, unlike PlayStation games. Good things come to those who wait, but Nintendo games aren't good things. They are GREAT things, so be patient and wait a little longer. He predicts Switch Pro (that will beat the shit out of PS5), BOTW 2, a Zelda Collection akin to Super Mario 3D All Stars, and a surprise game by Nintendo in 2021. When asked about what's that surprise game by Nintendo, he smiled and said "It's a surprise. Nintendo always gives surprises."

And to all who complain about BOTW (I'm looking at you Corgi 1985, you must be a bitch), my friend says that the game invented open world games, and you can climb mountains in that game unlike Horizon Zero Dawn, and that weapon breaking feature? Well, it's to let you try out different weapons. Korok seeds are a joy to collect and again to those cunts who complain about the shrines being samey and short? They are made easy and short on purpose so that people new to gaming won't feel intimidated by long boring dungeons.

My friend would also remind you that Pokemon Sword and Shield has sold around 20 million and counting. So if one person thinks it sucks, remember that there are 19,999,999 people out there who loves them.

To those who complain about the low resolution and low framerate on Switch, he says it's to remind you of the simple days of gaming in the past. Where fun and gameplay mattered above all else. You didn't mind gaming on sub 480p resolutions and less than 60 fps in the past didn't you? You simply enjoyed gaming because it was so pure and so fun. That's what Nintendo games are all about. And being able to take your Switch wherever with you and game on the go is such a joy.

Lastly, (I've posted this before), to those who question why Nintendo games never drop in price, he laughed and said "Do you ever see the price of Gold fall? No, right? Instead, their price rise over time. Nintendo games are like treasure, so why would you expect the price of their games to fall? They should rise in value because they are so great. You should be lucky Nintendo doesn't raise their price so why should anyone demand that Nintendo give discounts on their games?

If any of you ever waver and question your love of Nintendo, close your eyes and remember my friend's wise words.

Also -Arcadia- -Arcadia- , I know you're not keen on the Vaccine, but my friend is getting it soon so he can go to Japan asap with his family to visit Super Nintendo World and also Nintendo HQ in Kyoto. I'll let you know if the vaccine has any side effects, like turning my friend from a Nintendo Fanboy who hates Sony into a (gasp!) Sony Fanboy who hates Nintendo.

2021 is already better than 2020.

Day 4 and we already have a hot contender for post of the year.
---------------------------------------------
In other news. BOTW continues to surprise.

iu

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Here we go again. :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:
EfUj75v.png

OMG this is too much. I know it is probably not real but the prospect was too crazy lol.

Saber started with a VN so I guess it does count as a game character?

Last edited:

Woopah

Here we go again. :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_smiling:
EfUj75v.png

One of the worst fakes I've seen in a while. No way the Pokémon remakes get announced in a Direct.

It'll announce the Fire Emblem 4 remake, 2D Metroid and Splatoon spin off instead.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

EfUj75v.png

Pokemon would not be announced in a regular Direct (do people just not pay attention to how Pokemon is handled?) and Tokyo Mirage Sessions was a flop, dont know why they would make a sequel especially one that's more Fates focused rather than Three Houses.

Everything else is nonsense not even worth mentioning.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I ignore the leaks and just enjoy stuff when it appears. Is it that difficult?
Yep. I can’t imagine living in a paradigm torn between people’s LARPs and whatever scant morsel of truth might be in there, is much fun. Probably why certain people are so salty after Directs. Getting reintroduced to reality after living in fantasy doesn’t agree with you.

Moreover. Why would I want to know? Some of the most fun gaming unveils ever have been complete, total surprises, combined with absolutely hype trailers.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Someone needs to whip up a new Nintendo Direct Randomizer with their current slate of systems (I guess just Switch and maybe mobile now).

Still waiting for those Star Fox Piano and The Legend of Zelda: Health of Trapezoid announcements.
(Sigh) My life was better off before I realized Yarn Nintendogs was a possibility, and I wanted it.

But at least I don’t have to play The Legend of Zelda: The Accused Black

That one sounds really unpleasant.

Clarissa

Banned
Remind me to post screenshots of my friend's reactions to Nintendo Direct reveals next time so you can see his love, amazement and appreciation for whatever Nintendo reveals.

He has this sense of childlike wonder to whatever Nintendo reveals that we all can learn from - To be appreciative of whatever we have in life. Yes, it's good to want more but sometimes it's better to be appreciative and love what you are given and make the best of it.

I know I make fun of my friend who is a Nintendo Fanboy all the time and post about him and everything he says about Nintendo, but being appreciative and being able to see positives despite the bad is quite a good trait to have.

Sometimes though, it really does sound like my friend is hyperventilating and having multiple orgasms when watching Nintendo Directs...

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
2021 is already better than 2020.

Day 4 and we already have a hot contender for post of the year.
---------------------------------------------
In other news. BOTW continues to surprise.

iu

Saw this earlier. I started thinking that perhaps they were using the Mii files which would make calls to system assets to form a Mii. They could do something similar but have it make calls to BOTW. The actual Mii files themselves are just a list of properties. Essentially I was thinking that they recreated Mii Maker for Hylians and because they used the same property list you could use a standard Mii without much issue, it would call the corresponding Hylian assets. Did a little reading and it seems like that was the case actually. It is only for some of the characters. Clever system. Seems like people figured this out over 2 years ago though and this twitter user is just asking for some attention. Found a github where people were working on this back in 2018.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions was a flop
QTbYbFy.jpg

Last edited:

StormCell

a3vUaXP.jpg

You know, at this point, it's totally okay to just admit that your friend's name is Reggie. We all know it's Reggie Fils-Aime you're friends with. No one else is that incredibly positive about Nintendo except Reggie.

StormCell

I've really been hoping for some revamped hardware to breath new life into Switch. Does anyone else ITT play Minecraft primiarly on Switch? I recently got back into it, and I'm loving all the new additions to the game. Unfortunately, it's beginning to feel like a struggle to play it on Switch. I know some people had complained that it was barely playable years ago, but I wasn't having those issues back then.

Some of the issues I'm having:
Periodic controller input lag where inputs take longer than a second to register and then are exaggerated due to input lag
Basic menus (inventory, chests, furnaces, start menu) fail to open and often result in a loading bar
Blocks fail to disappear or appear at time of action
Game crashes
Friends get booted from game

I have to actually restart my Switch to improve performance.

Is this happening with anyone else?

Hudo

A broken clock may be right twice a day, but a broken clock is still more right than Emily Rogers and 100 times less annoying.
Ah, yeah, that was the the dude (dudette?) I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name. But yeah, people rallied behind him for whatever reason but that didn't stop him from backtracking hard when his vague as fuck leaks didn't pan out.

EDIT: That being said, Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2 was the thing that made the 4chan leak obvious bait, unfortunately. There's no way in hell we'll see a TMS2. It bombed even by Atlus' standards.
But I could see a Fire Emblem #TMS, where we get a Fire Emblem-like game with Shin Megami Tensei characters/units and a bit of J-PoP maybe, utilizing the Fire Emblem name...

Last edited:
What are we looking forward to this year NintendoGAF?

My main hype is for BOTW2 and Silksong. I'll be more than pleased if we get both of those this year.
Pokemon Snap is awakening my inner child and making me want to go back to the Pokemon franchise.
The next two stops on the Hype Train are NMH 3 and Bayonetta 3, which are chugging along nicely. Hope to play both from the middle to the end of the year.
I'm expecting a few ports - I'll bite on Xenoblade X (make it happen) and maybe something from the 3DS. Zelda collection seems inevitable. Could be a sale if it's not just OOT 64 + WWHD + TPHD.
In terms of OG content, I'm hopeful Nintendo have a couple of unnanounced games for the Summer - new IP or something fresh from their catalogue (a la Origami King) would do me just nicely.

I'm also hopeful we'll get a revamped machine this year. Four years going strong come March - I can say I'm lucky in the fact that I've had no Joy-Con issues (use them rarely) and my Switch is still running just as well as it was on day one - still snappy, no battery or screen issues, no fan issues. Still a beast. Having said that, I want a new Switch for the second TV and I'm reluctant to just buy a dock (too expensive) or another OG machine. I'm hoping we get something this year which is improved in someway, and I'll be there on day 1 when it drops.

I spent an obscene amount of money on games last year on Switch and Steam sales and have quite a meaty backlog to work through. So I'm going to be more than content with a slow start to the year. I have Paper Mario and Hyrule Warriors to finally play through starting soon, Galaxy to finish off, and a nice healthy selection of indies to keep me busy in the meantime. 2021 already shaping up to be a classic year.

I'm looking forward to Breath of the Wild 2 and Monster Hunter Rise. I'm pretty hyped for Bravely Default 2 as well. I'd like the Zelda collection rumors to be true, and I'll like a Metroid collection as well.

I'll channel my inner OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts , my real hope for 2021 is a new Monolithsoft game. A Xenoblade X port is fine, but I really want to see what's next for them.

My main hype is for BOTW2 and Silksong. I'll be more than pleased if we get both of those this year.
Pokemon Snap is awakening my inner child and making me want to go back to the Pokemon franchise.
The next two stops on the Hype Train are NMH 3 and Bayonetta 3, which are chugging along nicely. Hope to play both from the middle to the end of the year.
I'm expecting a few ports - I'll bite on Xenoblade X (make it happen) and maybe something from the 3DS. Zelda collection seems inevitable. Could be a sale if it's not just OOT 64 + WWHD + TPHD.
In terms of OG content, I'm hopeful Nintendo have a couple of unnanounced games for the Summer - new IP or something fresh from their catalogue (a la Origami King) would do me just nicely.

I'm also hopeful we'll get a revamped machine this year. Four years going strong come March - I can say I'm lucky in the fact that I've had no Joy-Con issues (use them rarely) and my Switch is still running just as well as it was on day one - still snappy, no battery or screen issues, no fan issues. Still a beast. Having said that, I want a new Switch for the second TV and I'm reluctant to just buy a dock (too expensive) or another OG machine. I'm hoping we get something this year which is improved in someway, and I'll be there on day 1 when it drops.

I spent an obscene amount of money on games last year on Switch and Steam sales and have quite a meaty backlog to work through. So I'm going to be more than content with a slow start to the year. I have Paper Mario and Hyrule Warriors to finally play through starting soon, Galaxy to finish off, and a nice healthy selection of indies to keep me busy in the meantime. 2021 already shaping up to be a classic year.
Hoping for a Switch Pro, also hoping for a good Zelda collection, new platforms for NSO, new Monolith game and a lot of surprises, maybe a big new IP or something. And of course, BotW 2, I want them to continue the course they set with the first game though and not get too puzzly on me again.

I'm looking forward to Breath of the Wild 2 and Monster Hunter Rise. I'm pretty hyped for Bravely Default 2 as well. I'd like the Zelda collection rumors to be true, and I'll like a Metroid collection as well.

I'll channel my inner OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts , my real hope for 2021 is a new Monolithsoft game. A Xenoblade X port is fine, but I really want to see what's next for them.
Forgot about both of those.

Choo-Choo, motherfuckers, indeed.

I'll get MH at launch and maybe wait for BD2. My RPG backlog is enormous.

As for Monolith, I think we'll see a reveal of their new game this year, with X used to tie us over in the meantime. I've read that they're developing something new, away from the Xeno universe. Someone will have to confirm that, but I'd just as happily take a Xeno 3 or X2.

I think I read that the remaster of Xenoblade Chloricles was done in a year, so I can see X demanding the same amount of time. A summer release would be plausible given that they have four studios now, amirite?

Saruhashi

Banned
I ignore the leaks and just enjoy stuff when it appears. Is it that difficult?

Apparently so. I think there are quite a lot of people who enjoy the hype more than they actually enjoy the games.

That clown who posted here, Outrageous Cack, was always on this "where is the Direct" or "Nintendo should release these games" or "if you are happy with Nintendo's output you are just a fanboy" bullshit.

What difference does it make if Nintendo announces all of their stuff in a single video or if they just announce stuff when it's ready to go?

In my opinion the hype around Directs actually just ends up leading to backlash in the end.
It can be good for marketing but it can also be bad.
A lot of angry customers out there fuming because no direct since September 2019 or something?

This year I liked that 3D All Stars was announced and I had the cart in hand 2 weeks later.
No More Heroes 1&2 launched "later today". Perfect.

Age of Calamity announced on September 8th. Settling down to play the full game 10 weeks later. Nice.

FAR better than teasing Metroid 4 or Bayonetta 3 and then having silence for years.
That kind of content is just a waste of time.

I was reflecting on how we got the first Cyberpunk 2077 teaser in January 2013 and then just year after year of hype and then the game releases and within 2 months it has all faded away. It is an OK game (on PS5) but not even close to the world-beater it was built up to be. It's just fun. Less fun than Ubisofts new offerings, in my opinion and those didn't have years of hype.

I think it's a lot better to just get an announcement a few months out from release.

Don't know why people prefer to hear that something is coming sometime, maybe.

Look at Metroid 4. All they ever had it seems was a teaser image.
Then the game got scrapped and they started over so who the hell knows what we will get in the end or when we will get it.
Best to just let it go and if they announce it in September 2021 for a November launch then that's a really nice surprise.

People constantly banging on constantly about Switch Pro and Metroid Prime Trilogy when we don't even know if those actually exist at all. :)

Saruhashi

Banned

I'm thinking BOTW2 and Silksong for me.
If we get a port of Xenoblade X I would be very happy but I would like them to have extra stuff just like XC and XC2 had Future Connected and Torna.

Quite happy to get surprises though.
Last year I enjoyed Xenoblade, Origami King, Pikmin 3 and Age of Calamity and I don't think I started the year anticipating any of those.

I am worried they will "remake" or remaster the old Zelda stuff as I am getting a bit fed up with seeing old classics getting modernized.

I would much rather see a Link Between Worlds type thing where it is clearly taking huge inspiration from older games but is not a straight copy.
Give us a 3D Zelda adventure that isn't open world, is very much like Ocarina or Majora but isn't just an HD version of those.

Would like to see them make a 2D platformer in the style of Meatboy, Okunoka or Celeste with those short but difficult levels.
I dunno what franchise you would use there.

This year I liked that 3D All Stars was announced and I had the cart in hand 2 weeks later.
No More Heroes 1&2 launched "later today". Perfect.

Age of Calamity announced on September 8th. Settling down to play the full game 10 weeks later. Nice.

FAR better than teasing Metroid 4 or Bayonetta 3 and then having silence for years.
That kind of content is just a waste of time.
I agree that announcing things too early is a bad idea, but I'd also say there's a middle ground that would be perfect. Announce games 12 - 5 months in advance so people have an idea of what's happening in the future, without the wait feeling like it's taking forever. Personally I would have been happier if the Mario Direct happened earlier in the year, and if AoC had been announced around E3. The way they went about things, it was like we didn't have anything to look forward to at all in 2020.

Personally I'd rather have these structured Directs that you can expect to come out every so often, rather than chaotic, random announcements whenever Nintendo feels like it. That's just my preference though. And well, random and chaotic describes Nintendo's Directs for the past few years anyway.

A lot of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE slander ITT. Top 10 game on Switch. I know is supposed to be SMT but it was actually Persona-lite with FE characters. They didn't lean into that with the marketing hard enough. Should have put a character in Smash. The game deserved better. All you critics stand and be judged for your insolence.
Too bad they censored it. It was a fun little game otherwise. Enjoyed my time with it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Tbh I ended up enjoying quite a few games about which I didn't really have any pre-release hype. Horace was a nice find for instance, as was Hades. Paper Mario was a bit more of an expected win, as was the 3D collection, but for the most part the new releases that got me were games I didn't have hype for. That basically means I have no idea what I'm looking forward to, other than 3D World which I absolutely loved on the emulator. Absolutely amazing game and can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
TMS > Persona 5
Torn between the fact that you are supporting a criminally underrated game and the fact that you are wrong.

Too bad they censored it. It was a fun little game otherwise. Enjoyed my time with it.
Yeah, a mess considering that the definitive experience is on Wii U, though it seems like everything that was censored was just silly fan-service at least. Not a fan of censorship but no actual game was lost as far as I am aware.

Shaqazooloo

A lot of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE slander ITT. Top 10 game on Switch. I know is supposed to be SMT but it was actually Persona-lite with FE characters. They didn't lean into that with the marketing hard enough. Should have put a character in Smash. The game deserved better. All you critics stand and be judged for your insolence.

eV939SM.jpg
Imo the J-pop story and in general cringy look and advertising for the game cemented it as a niche title. Honestly no matter how good the gameplay was, I wasn't going play something like this. It goes way too hard into cringy anime and if that's the case I would at least expect some fanservice to make up for it..

Top Bottom