• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaijinworks set to tease new PSP localization in Retro magazine

OmegaDL50

Oh man, I would love if Suikoden 1+2 got released in English on PSN.

I don't own a Vita, but if it got a cross platform release on PS3 and Vita.

Screw it, I would most definitely buy a Vita just to have Suikoden 2 again in English.

Every time I look at my PSOne Classics on PS3 with games like Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, Wild Arms, Grandia, The Arc the Lad Trilogy (Thank You Working Designs!), and Suikoden 1, the fact that Suikoden 2 is missing from this list is a glaring omission that needs to be fixed in my opinion.

I'll take the original PSOne version unfixed glitches and all. The game is truly worth it.

On the subject of PSOne Classics, has there been any updates whether Lunar 1 or 2 Complete would also get the PSOne Classics treatment, those games are another amazing gems that people should experience.

vireland

Dual screen play for ps3 games, but not "remote play".

What does it do and how does it work?

Hyped for the psp/ vita title now!!

You register the PSP/Vita for remote play, but this is not remote play per se. The PSP/Vita screen is intependent of what's displayed on the PS3 screen.

The PS3 is still the main game, but the PSP (or Vita) displays sub information like the labyrinth map outside battle (with number of tiles completed as well as the percentage), or the character full stats (affinity, etc) when selecting in battle, or the monster picture and full stats (with drops) as you choose which to attack. In towns/Schools, it shows the overworld map as explored with a marker for where you are at the moment. When none of that applies, it shows a really nice stat summary screen that shows how many of what you've killed, times, etc. It's really neat, and should have been done on an RPG long before now. I'm sure we'll get feedback to make it even better in the next title we use it on. We'll have a video up of how it works (with the PSP/Vita screen inlaid on the PS3 screen to give a good idea of what you actually see while playing) soon.

Shouta

You register the PSP/Vita for remote play, but this is not remote play per se. The PSP/Vita screen is intependent of what's displayed on the PS3 screen.

The PS3 is still the main game, but the PSP (or Vita) displays sub information like the labyrinth map outside battle (with number of tiles completed as well as the percentage), or the character full stats (affinity, etc) when selecting in battle, or the monster picture and full stats (with drops) as you choose which to attack. In towns/Schools, it shows the overworld map as explored with a marker for where you are at the moment. When none of that applies, it shows a really nice stat summary screen that shows how many of what you've killed, times, etc. It's really neat, and should have been done on an RPG long before now. I'm sure we'll get feedback to make it even better in the next title we use it on. We'll have a video up of how it works (with the PSP/Vita screen inlaid on the PS3 screen to give a good idea of what you actually see while playing) soon.

So you basically made a Wii-U using old tech (and no touch screen)? =o

cj_iwakura

This sounds brilliant. Did Acquire help with this?

Steel

Banned

I wonder if the vita part of that would use the touch screen. Though if this is used in other games with vita only it'd pretty much be like the Wii-U tablet. The controls on vita are bad for FPS's(Via remote play, killzone merc works great) but for an rpg it wouldn't be a bad add at all.

OmegaDL50

This sounds amazing.

How does this work. Do you need to own both the PSP and PS3 versions for this to work? Or does using remote play on the PSP just auto-magically make this happen.

If you plan to write a development diary on this thing on how this happened, I'd be interested in reading it. EDIT: Oh you are making a video. I'll be looking forward to watching that then.

vireland

Can't say I saw that coming...

I revel in statements like this. Predictability is boring.

The new RPG reveal better be huge.

It's pretty big, I think, in a subgenre I really like. And the deal is important for what it portends beyond this first game.

I'll throw you a bone. It's from a major Japanese publisher. Major.

(And it's unfortunately not Suikoden anything - I want that desperately, but we haven't made that happen yet)

cj_iwakura

(And it's unfortunately not Suikoden anything - I want that desperately, but we haven't made that happen yet)

I'm going to assume Namco-Bandai, since they've been pretty open with licensing their games to other parties as of late.

Steel

Banned
I revel in statements like this. Predictability is boring.

It's pretty big, I think, in a subgenre I really like. And the deal is important for what it portends beyond this first game.

I'm pretty sure you can deny it's square... Right?

vireland

victor macgyver

Actually Ken Macguyver. I had the idea, but Ken's done an amazing amount of the heavy lifting programming to make it happen the way I envisioned it. Since the CoH2G system wasn't really designed to do what we're doing, it's still being optimized, but as it is right now it could be released.

vireland

I'm pretty sure you can deny it's square... Right?

Square it is not. They are weird with licensing their stuff. They'd rather abuse their own titles or bury them than license them out. I don't get it, but it sure explains their sorry financial state and fan atrophy.

androvsky

The funny thing is Sony was advertising using the PSP as a second screen for PS3 games at least five or six years ago. Remember the rear-view mirror thing for... was it Gran Turismo or an F1 game? And nobody ever bothered to actually use it for anything.

C'mon Sega...

Steel

Banned
Square it is not. They are weird with licensing their stuff. They'd rather abuse their own titles or bury them than license them out. I don't get it, but it sure explains their sorry financial state and fan atrophy.

Sorda figured, but good to get that out of the way.

vireland

This is pretty awesome. How hard was it to work with Sony on this?

The interaction we've had with Sony has been extremely positive. I've said it before, but on many levels throughoug the organization I've interacted with, it *feels* like the Sony I knew and loved from just after the Bernie Stolar era, through the Phil Harrison reign. That's a very good thing, and speaks very well of their chances of destroying the competition this generation.

Steel

Banned
The interaction we've had with Sony has been extremely positive. I've said it before, but on many levels throughoug the organization I've interacted with, it *feels* like the Sony I knew and loved from just after the Bernie Stolar era, through the Phil Harrison reign. That's a very good thing, and speaks very well of their chances of destroying the competition this generation.

Hmm, since this is the obvious next step, I assume that this feature that you've come up with would also work with ps4 should a developer chose to use it?

vireland

This sounds amazing.

How does this work. Do you need to own both the PSP and PS3 versions for this to work? Or does using remote play on the PSP just auto-magically make this happen.

If you plan to write a development diary on this thing on how this happened, I'd be interested in reading it. EDIT: Oh you are making a video. I'll be looking forward to watching that then.

Register the PSP or Vita for remote play (you only have to do this once per system, ever. Once registered, it will work for all games that support it).

Start the PS3 game.

When the PS3 game starts, select "remote play" on the PSP or Vita, but instead of remote play, the PSP/Vita will now be your controller and the screen on it will display auxillary information.

You can also use a PS3 controller and just prop the PSP/Vita up for the second screen if you want.

cj_iwakura

Register the PSP or Vita for remote play (you only have to do this once per system, ever. Once registered, it will work for all games that support it).

Start the PS3 game.

When the PS3 game starts, select "remote play" on the PSP or Vita, but instead of remote play, the PSP/Vita will now be your controller and the screen on it will display auxillary information.

You can also use a PS3 controller and just prop the PSP/Vita up for the second screen if you want.

By any chance will this support Transfarring shared data?

Famassu

Hmm... a subgenre of JRPGs you really like? WD localized Arc the Lad, so I'd guess SRPGs are not your most hated genre...

Has Valkyria Chronicles 3 been denied as the possible big PSP RPG?

Though, about that "important for the future" bit doesn't make it seem like it could be VC3, seeing as the VC franchise is dead.

cj_iwakura

Hmm... your favorite subgenre of JRPGs? WD localized Arc the Lad, so I'd guess SRPGs are not your most hated genre...

Though, about that "important for the future" bit doesn't make it seem like it could be VC3, seeing as the VC franchise is dead.

Yes, VC3 was denied. It's not that.

androvsky

Hmm... your favorite subgenre of JRPGs? WD localized Arc the Lad, so I'd guess SRPGs are not your most hated genre...

He's been going after Sakura Wars for a long time. Fingers crossed. It's an SRPG/Visual Novel cross, and it's made by the same team as Valkyria Chronicles.

vireland

Guess/converse away, but I can't give any more game/publisher confirmations/denials. It will be too easy to guess pretty soon. The real announcement is only a few weeks away.

Steel

Banned
Guess/converse away, but I can't give any more game/publisher confirmations/denials. It will be too easy to guess pretty soon. The real announcement is only a few weeks away.

Here I was hoping you would help narrow it down a bit more :p. Well, I suppose a tease is supposed to build hype. You have succeeded, in my case at least.

Actually Ken Macguyver. I had the idea, but Ken's done an amazing amount of the heavy lifting programming to make it happen the way I envisioned it. Since the CoH2G system wasn't really designed to do what we're doing, it's still being optimized, but as it is right now it could be released.

Ken Innes? He still works with you? bloody hell.

Oh, is this going to see a boxed release?

Steel

Banned
So, all we know at this point is that it's a psp rpg from a major japanese publisher that's not square. So it's either sega, capcom, or Namco at this point. Am I missing anything?

Since CoH2 physical needed crowd funding, I doubt it, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong. Why spend the extra money when the audience for this is mostly niche?

I assumed PS3 was a much bigger userbase, even for niche stuff. At least for the next year or so until the PS4 picks up steam anyway

vireland

So, all we know at this point is that it's a psp rpg from a major japanese publisher that's not square. So it's either sega, capcom, or Namco at this point. Am I missing anything?

Not that it means anything, but you forgot Konami. They're quite major.

Really hope the publisher is Sega and the title is Valkyria Chronicles 3. I mean sure I can import a copy and download the fan translation but having this officially come from overseas and done in a physical+digital bundle by Vic would put a smile on my face.

EDIT: Read the post above about VC3 being denied. Oh well, I'm still anticipating whatever this title is. I'm sure it'll peak my interest immensely.

Elvick

Banned

This sounds amazing. Now I'll have to buy the game just to support all the work put into it.

vireland

Ken Innes? He still works with you? bloody hell.

Oh, is this going to see a boxed release?

Yeah, Ken's awesome. We have a great relationship, and he's always up for a challenge.

We hadn't planned on a boxed release for the PS3 game because I don't think the demand is there, but if it is and that's what the fans want, we'll talk to Sony about it.

Top Bottom