• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galactic Command for Xbox 360 on Live! - You will say WOW!

nerbo

Check out these screenshots!

http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gc/06-12-01/PHOTO013.PNG
http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gc/06-12-01/PHOTO017.PNG
http://www.3000ad.com/pics/gc/06-12-01/PHOTO023.PNG
http://www.3000ad.com/shots/galcom.shtml

Derek Smart: Well that is a pure action shooter that is designed specifically for the XB360 with no PC version envisioned. Microsoft is pretty finicky about PC to XB360 crossovers; and nowadays getting a PC 'port' over to the XB360 is just as easy as winning the lottery.

So, knowing that if we're going to do anything for the console it had to be kick-ass, I embarked on that project as my very first console exclusive title. It has all the elements of my games. Aerial, space and vehicular combat, as well as first person combat in my established game universe.

You've played most of my games and know that they are powered by very advanced technologies around which complex games are wrapped. So this time around, I decided to build - from the ground up - a new IP based on those technologies, my designs etc for a console that was powerful enough to run it without me having to cut corners.

You've been around long enough to know that for many many years, PC technology had to play catch up to my ideas and the things I wanted to do; and that it was only after several years and four titles in, that there were machines powerful enough to even run my games without choking.

Full Press Release

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

syllogism

Microsoft is lucky to have such a renowned industry visionary and a Ph.D aboard. Can't wait for this and his other two 360 games.

basis

makeitstopkk7.jpg

GhaleonEB

The PR says it's an episodic game - $29.99 with $19.99 episodes down the road. At the least I'm curious how it fares.

Screens look crummy, though.

nerbo

Interview with Derek Smart on the fantastic new game!

Derek Smart: No FMV (!), No bad voice acting. No bad acting - period. No meaningless trading. No pointless exploration etc. Its basically. Go here. Blow stuff up. Return to base. Here, have a cookie for your troubles.

Derek Smart: Besides, it won't have to be a hard sell since I have the utmost faith in my install base. So, Galactic Command, instead of Freespace 3, was born.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

stressboy

You've played most of my games and know that they are powered by very advanced technologies around which complex games are wrapped. So this time around, I decided to build - from the ground up - a new IP based on those technologies, my designs etc for a console that was powerful enough to run it without me having to cut corners.

You've been around long enough to know that for many many years, PC technology had to play catch up to my ideas and the things I wanted to do; and that it was only after several years and four titles in, that there were machines powerful enough to even run my games without choking.

derek smart DEREK SMART DEREK SMART

nerbo

FirstInHell said:
Just imagine, somewhere on the Internet this guy has a rabid fanbase. It just blows my mind.

I think he has just spewed enough of his horse-shit propaganda to make it seem like they must be out there somewhere. I bet he has a bunch of bots set up to auto-post from a list a few thousand great things about him.

watership said:
Derek Smart game meets XBLA certification group.

PARADOX! NON SEQUITOR! The earths crust has cracked!

Seriously. There is no way in hell a Derek Smart game could ever be released on a console. They are closed platforms. They have standards.

Xristot

why is any publisher still picking up games from derek smart. The guy hasn't made a SINGLE good game. Yet he claims to have the most advanced games/engines of everyone. Not only that, but if you ever want help on his deformed beast of a game and you go to his website, him and his lacky's will respond with a "stfu and rtfm noob." Jeez, I wish this guy would just get a cubicle job and leave the gaming world in peace.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
God I remember when the (thankfully false) rumors of Smart obtaining the Freespace license started to spread. I almost shot myself that day.

Schafer said:
God I remember when the (thankfully false) rumors of Smart obtaining the Freespace license started to spread. I almost shot myself that day.

That was very scary indeed.

Nothing beats the stories of him beating up a soda machine at Take Two headquarters, though. I think that was the point where Smart when from "huge ego" to "insane internet man , summonable on demand in any BluesNews thread about him".

Tellaerin

gkrykewy said:
All this aside, if someone wants to make a space shooter for 360, XBLA or disc, I will look closely at it.

If it's a space shooter by Derek Smart, you'll look closely at it and laugh.

gkrykewy said:
All this aside, if someone wants to make a space shooter for 360, XBLA or disc, I will look closely at it.

Beware. Some things can't be unseen once they are seen.

Edit: heh, Schafer, and I basically gave the exact same ominous warning simultaneously. I wonder which one it was for him? It was Universal Combat for me. I still see it sometimes when I close my eyes on dark nights...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
gkrykewy said:

Seriously, don't. Do not under any circustances even attempt to play a Derek Smart game. It changes you forever, and not in a good way.

White Man

Mr. Pointy said:
We have Denis Dyack, he's sort of like a competent Derek Smart.

That's almost an apt comparison in the shameless, talentless self-promotion part of the equation, but Dyack really needs to attack some soda machines if he wants to ball in Derek's league.

BTW, if anyone could get Derek Smart to become a regular here, I will dress up as ****ing Frank-N-Furter and post my pictures on the forum.

ManaByte said:

I always thought this was the apex of SA, when they were really all about mocking the PC gaming scene's cults of personality while the PC gaming press was too busy fawning over CliffyB and co. and people still cared about what the old Doom creators were up to.

For reference, the whole Desktop commander thing was due to a poorly coded demo of Battlecruiser Millennium, where if you didn't have your desktop set to a certain resolution and color depth (if I recall), the demo crashed to desktop upon launching. It was a real amateur-and, to be truthful, easy to make mistake (drivers and DirectX back then aren't what they are now), but it was classic Derek Smart-shipping somehting that was a total wreck.

Top Bottom