• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galactic Command for Xbox 360 on Live! - You will say WOW!

Dr_Cogent said:
Hahah, I remember going at it with Derek Smart years ago on VoodooExtreme. I think it was VoodooExtreme at least.

He seemed to get around the most on Shacknews, VE, and Bluesnews, but I remember his posts most vividly on VE as well. He posted for a while on QT3 a couple of years back, but he was out of his league there and disappeared after a while.

I saw the headline for this thread and thought "Nah! Couldn't be..."

I click on the thread, and sure enough, it is. Good Old Derek Smart! Always a source of amusement! :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
This press release probably made the entire Xbox 360 QA department fall out of their chairs and be sent to the hospital from laughing so hard.

Zynx

Man, when I frist came into the thread I mistakenly thought it was coming out on XBLA and was happy - since if this guy's game could get on, then obviously much more talented (indie) developer's stuff would be approved too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The game will never pass QA. The QA department will keep the build around and pull it out to make new employees laugh. "You want to see the funniest shit ever submitted? Check this out!"

nerbo

From ShackNews...

Having established a presence in the brave new world of episodic adventure games with its investment in Telltale's Sam & Max games, online subscription-based gaming service GameTap is looking to bring the episodic model to other PC genres. Today, the company announced an episodic development deal with 3000AD, the developer headed up by long time industry figure Derek Smart, remembered most famously for his Battlecruiser games.

Smart's new effort is Galactic Command -- Echo Squad, a four-episode space-set shooter series to be released on a monthly basis. Each episode will consist of sixteen missions as well as multiple possible endings, and will also include sixteen-player online deathmatch, team deathmatch, and cooperative play.

"Thanks to GameTap and its commitment to episodic games, we now have a great opportunity for Galactic Command to reach a larger audience," said Smart, known as a vigorous internet poster. "We're excited to be on board with a company that has a clear vision for broadening the PC gaming market."

Galactic Command will join the GameTap Originals program, of which Sam & Max is also a part. "The addition of Galactic Command -- Echo Squad to GameTap's growing library of new and original games further proves our commitment to offering subscribers content they can't get anywhere else," said content VP Ricardo Sanchez. "We are pleased to be partnering with 3000AD, and feel this partnership strengthens our role as a leader in both episodic gaming and the broadband entertainment market."

Galactic Command -- Echo Squad is set to begin for GameTap users this spring. No non-GameTap release was discussed in today's announcement.

Sounds like GameTap is really going rock-rock-rock the market with this coup...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Jesus tapdancing Christ, how out of touch with gaming does Gametap have to be to sign Derek Smart up.

I... just wow.

GhaleonEB

Thanks to GameTap and its commitment to episodic games, we now have a great opportunity for Galactic Command to reach a larger audience," said Smart, known as a vigorous internet poster. "We're excited to be on board with a company that has a clear vision for broadening the PC gaming market."
That's a wonderful phrase. "What are you doing?" "I'm posting vigorously!"

How sad that his Internet posting is what they say he's known for. :lol

Tobor

All we need is to get Uwe Boll to make a movie based on one of Derek Smart's games, and the Earth will spin off it's axis into the sun!

GameTap buying Derek Smart's poison, hilarious.

What's most interesting about the whole thing is the reason why GameTap decided to give GalCom a serious look-they apparently had a lot of users who played the old space sim style games like Tachyon and Descent: Freespace. That made them more open to going with GalCom in their continued effort to bring original content to their service.

Hint to western developers-people still want to play these games. Make one for the consoles with their interface in mind, slap it on the PC with joystick support added in, if it is done right and looks good enough I bet it would print money.

Top Bottom