• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge |OT| I just had six, and it felt so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

My Nexus 6 broke and the insurance company sent me a Galaxy S6 as replacement. I really think it's a nice phone, and I installed Nova Launcher to tweak things a little. But man, the battery life is ROUGH in comparison to what I was used to.

The hardware is really nice. I'll have to read the thread to pick up some tips.

kng3025

Got really excited only to be crushed a few minutes afterwards. Got an email stating that Samsung Pay was finally available on the Play Store for download. Went to go download it but was told that my phone was incompatible with the current version..*sigh*

Jacobi

Banned
So I have a question, why do some cardboard apps run so bad (horrible judder)? Is this about the apps or the phone? For example the BBHMM app... It's just videos but the framerate is puke-worthy

spuckthew

Dunno if it was an update to TouchWiz or just the default theme, but last night my GS6 Edge was updated and now the icons look the same as Note 5 icons.

BumRush

Best buy deal on the S6 is insane. Buy one, with 2 year Verizon Edge contract ($24/mo. For 2 years to "pay off" phone) get a $250 BB gift card.

3phemeral

I never leave Power Save off. Not sure what I'm missing with it always on but it's the only way to manage the battery life. The screen is bright enough even in that mode and often too bright with power save off. Thankfully, it's been ages since I've encountered that "unlock>sleep>unlock>sleep>ad infinitum" bug so I've been happy.

MercuryLS

Banned
I had this phone for a few months and I absolutely hated it after the initial honeymoon period wore off, probably the last Samsung product I ever buy. All hype and no follow through.

UFO

Banned
How's the battery life?

Regular. The screen resolution/ brightness doesn't affect the battery life nearly as much as random android bugs like "cell standby" or today the battery almost completely drained in 3 hours from something called "mdnsd".

Make use of the wireless charging and fast charging and it shouldn't be an issue. I keep a portably battery pack in my car too.

Jacobi

Banned
I never leave Power Save off. Not sure what I'm missing with it always on but it's the only way to manage the battery life. The screen is bright enough even in that mode and often too bright with power save off. Thankfully, it's been ages since I've encountered that "unlock>sleep>unlock>sleep>ad infinitum" bug so I've been happy.

I also have power save mode on and I don't think we're missing anything. Had 49% after a whole day of use so I'm good with the battery. The rest is also fantastic, not sure what people are complaining about

BumRush

I also have power save mode on and I don't think we're missing anything. Had 49% after a whole day of use so I'm good with the battery. The rest is also fantastic, not sure what people are complaining about

I've had it for 3 days and it's my favorite phone ever (have had iPhones and an S5)

Its certainly a badass phone but I forgot to charge it last night and of course it died in traffic with minimal use today. And I needed my music. Hopefully power-save mode helps. The 8-core processor is no joke, though. And yeah the fast charger is mind-blowingly fast

spuckthew

How's the battery life?

YMMV. I don't tend to whore my phone to depletion and I usually get about a day and a half between charges. If you're a heavy user you'll probably get a day max, with the likely need to top up mid-afternoon so you don't run out on the commute home (for example).

If you're just a 'glancer' like me (with an allowance for one or two YouTube videos and a bit of Spotify), it will last you much longer.

I've had my Edge for three and a half months and it's never died (came close on Saturday but I didn't charge it at all on Friday and it got to about 5pm when I was getting ready to go out and realised I needed to charge my phone...It actually said 0% when I plugged it in but it didn't turn off!)

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Thinking about selling my 6s Plus and getting the S6 Edge Plus. I really miss Android so much. Overtime I get a new iPhone, I always regret it and end up going back to Android. The only reason I even got the iPhone was because I just got a MacBook Pro and thought it would be worth having the iPhone for it's compatibility. I love the MacBook and OS X and will never go back to Windows because I love Macs so much, but with iPhone's it's bitter sweet.

Thinking about selling my 6s Plus and getting the S6 Edge Plus. I really miss Android so much. Overtime I get a new iPhone, I always regret it and end up going back to Android. The only reason I even got the iPhone was because I just got a MacBook Pro and thought it would be worth having the iPhone for it's compatibility. I love the MacBook and OS X and will never go back to Windows because I love Macs so much, but with iPhone's it's bitter sweet.

That's exactly what I did last week when I returned my iPhone 6SS after a week for a Note 5. I really missed iMessage but at the end of the day I really wasn't feeling iOS after 2.5 years with my Galaxy S4.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
That's exactly what I did last week when I returned my iPhone 6SS after a week for a Note 5. I really missed iMessage but at the end of the day I really wasn't feeling iOS after 2.5 years with my Galaxy S4.

You have a Mac ? If so do you miss the compatibility between the two devices ?

Klotera

Does wireless charging work through a case?

Unless you have an exceptionally thick case, should be no problem. I use a Spigen Neo Hybrid case and wireless charging works fine. I've tried a couple other cases and it worked with them, also.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Thinking of picking one up, just worried that battery life will make instantly regret it

Think the Z5 can get skipped.

Corsick

Would it make sense to wait for the 7 edge plus or is that looking to be really far out? I was told it should be a January/February for a release. I have an HTC One M7 and was thinking of getting a Note 5, but I was assuming the S7 and its variants wouldn't be out until the middle of next year. I'm always blown away by how fast things move with cell phones.

my girlfriend is the new owner of a galaxy s6 edge plus and the thing looks incredible. i really hope apple follows suit with the curved display.
anyway, anyone tried a screen protector on this phone? any recommendations?

Peru

Thinking of picking one up, just worried that battery life will make instantly regret it

Think the Z5 can get skipped.

S6 battery life? I've been really impressed. It's made me get a whole new relaxed relationship with smart phone battery times. Lasts a good long time and the fast charging is so fast it feels instant.

Would it make sense to wait for the 7 edge plus or is that looking to be really far out? I was told it should be a January/February for a release. I have an HTC One M7 and was thinking of getting a Note 5, but I was assuming the S7 and its variants wouldn't be out until the middle of next year. I'm always blown away by how fast things move with cell phones.
If they follow the regular cycle the S7/S7 Edge will be out early next year with the Note 6/6 Edge Plus arriving in the middle of the year. But really I'd just look for a great Cyber Monday deal and go for the phone you want this year because I can't imagine how much they're going to improve upon them next year.

my girlfriend is the new owner of a galaxy s6 edge plus and the thing looks incredible. i really hope apple follows suit with the curved display.
anyway, anyone tried a screen protector on this phone? any recommendations?

Yup. I have this phone and love it. For the most part, anything plastic seems to adhere better than tempered glass. I think the phones might be a bit of a bit to make protectors for.

Furyous

So I have a question, why do some cardboard apps run so bad (horrible judder)? Is this about the apps or the phone? For example the BBHMM app... It's just videos but the framerate is puke-worthy

Step it up and use Gear VR. Y'all Samsungians (new word I know) need to support your ecosystem. Get the Gear VR and support the developers that spent time crafting unique experiences.

Carnby

I'm glad this thread popped up. Does anyone else hear staic or grinding sounds when they turn on their camera?

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm glad this thread popped up. Does anyone else hear staic or grinding sounds when they turn on their camera?

No. But I hear it when I use the wireless charger. I frequently mistake it for the sound of gas slowly escaping from a slightly unscrewed empty soda bottle.

Zaptruder

Banned
Got my girlfriend the edge finally. The battery on this thing is awful. Why is it so bad?

When you first get the phone, it's updating like hell and kills the battery life.

I remember my first impressions of the phone and making that realization later.

After all the downloads are out of the way, it's not too bad. Lasts 1-2 days on regular usage.

Hardcore usage (like when you're travelling) will probably require it to be supported with a backup battery...

UFO

Banned

No but the lens sticks on my camera. When I open up the camera app I have to give the phone a quick shake to unstick it so it'll focus.

jwk94

When you first get the phone, it's updating like hell and kills the battery life.

I remember my first impressions of the phone and making that realization later.

After all the downloads are out of the way, it's not too bad. Lasts 1-2 days on regular usage.

Hardcore usage (like when you're travelling) will probably require it to be supported with a backup battery...

It's been days since we got the phone and it's nowhere near 1-2 days of usage =/

sun-drop

go to settings and batt use .. see what app is sucking the phone dry.

you either have some hard core syncing going on or maybe yr phone is hunting for wifi AP's alot.

spekkeh

Banned

Like UFO sometimes when I open up the app it can't focus and it goes KGGGGKKKK. You just need to focus on something that's close by and then it works again.

Changed from my LG G4, which had a reoccurring Google Play Services battery drain bug - I really loved my G4, but after the 3rd factory reset I got bored.

I picked up my S6 Edge 64GB for £550 from the Samsung Store on Oxford Street in London last week (which is actually a Samsung only branded branch of Carphone Warehouse, so in theory they should have the same prices).

If anyone is considering it, the 64GB edge is now £450 on Amazon UK. Well worth it.

Jesus fuck what the hell happened to the battery life? It's been dying when I'm doing jack shit. I was even out of the country in airplane mode listening to music and it was dying like 3x faster than it ever did in this mode.

What the fuck.

oktarb

Anyone found some good uses or apps for the sleep mode edge? I have it as the default clock but it seems there's more potential there. Interested in some good ones.

kamakazi5

Any thoughts on how much the price may drop (if at all) when the S7 is released? I want to upgrade and it's $100 off at Tmobile right now. I don't imagine it would drop by much but you never know.

UFO

Banned
Any thoughts on how much the price may drop (if at all) when the S7 is released? I want to upgrade and it's $100 off at Tmobile right now. I don't imagine it would drop by much but you never know.

Probably not by much. The S7 won't be a big upgrade, and flagships tend to hold they're value fairly well. They go for $500-$600 now, after the S7 it might drop to $400-$500.

Feep

Banned
So, I obtained an AT&T S6. I unlocked it and threw in my Verizon SIM card. No errors or anything are registered, but I can't seem to pull down any signal.

I've never unlocked a phone before...is there a step I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom