• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra Blog - Launching Hive Jump on Wii U - Why Didn't We "Switch"?

Regiruler

Written by Graphite Lab's Matt Raithel.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Mat...ump_on_Wii_U__Why_Didnt_We_quotSwitchquot.php
Then, in the fall of 2016 the Nintendo Switch was revealed to the world. Should we leave the Wii U behind and attempt to roll our work into this new hardware? Well, you can’t exactly sashay into Nintendo HQ and demand that your cute lil’ indie title be the first drop on their newly announced system, especially when we’d been behind on Wii U development to begin with. Past that, we knew from our contract experience that any change in platform would delay the game even further. Would our game engine even work on Switch? Wouldn’t additional features be needed to make the game feel intended for the platform? How long would it take to go through certification? All of these questions swarmed our minds as we tried to make sense of it all.

We put ourselves in the shoes of our backers. It didn’t feel fair to our Wii U backers who didn’t have (or couldn’t get) a Switch to ask them to get a new console just to play the game they backed in 2014. Beyond that, we knew that making good on a promise to get Hive Jump on Wii U wouldn’t prevent us from getting on the Switch down the line. In fact, many of our fans have already shared that they would love to have the game on both platforms since there wasn’t anything quite like Hive Jump out there.

I saw this on twitter and was surprised that the game actually came out 2 days ago. I had long considered it abandoned considering they had scrapped online on Wii U some time ago.

Major props to Graphite for being this bold. I'm away from my Wii U for a good while though so I can't pick it up now.

-shadow-

I truly respect any developer that'll honour what they promised regarding the WiiU and will deliver on it instead of just moving everything towards the Switch like nearly all others have done. Even if it's the craziest thing they could do.

Ninja Dom

New indie games still release on Wii U eShop these days. Just like those cheap stocking filler, Shovel ware games on 3DS.

Platforms like kickstarter are built on the back of trust, fulfilling their promises even when it became less financially beneficial to do so than originally expected is the kind of dedication to their word that would be remembered should they need to crowd fund their next project.

Nothing but respect for a studio that fulfills their promise to Wii-U backers instead of abandoning the platform. Hopefully they can find success with this release and their future ports.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Good for supporting their backers, but frankly I'm never turning my WiiU on again any time soon. The sooner they get a Switch version out, the better.

jholmes

I'm happy they did it, I think they were crazy launching a day before Cuphead and the SNES Classic released though. I thought for sure I'd buy this but now it's on the backburner.

Still, a matter of time. It will be mine.

Any devs here work on a Wii U game and are now working on bringing something to Switch? Would it be hard to port it? Edit: Will say that this article got me to check it out and wait for it on Switch. I probably would never have watched it otherwise but now I'll be buying it. So there's that.

tebunker

Banned
Written by Graphite Lab's Matt Raithel.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Mat...ump_on_Wii_U__Why_Didnt_We_quotSwitchquot.php

I saw this on twitter and was surprised that the game actually came out 2 days ago. I had long considered it abandoned considering they had scrapped online on Wii U some time ago.

Major props to Graphite for being this bold. I'm away from my Wii U for a good while though so I can't pick it up now.

Who scrapped online on wiiu? The devs for this game? I had followed the game a little a long time agk. ut lost touch with it.

It was supposed to have online play? I think I remember that. Wonder why they had to scrap online play on wiiu?

Hopefully they can get the game out on more platforms to recoup that time and effort

Malyse

Good for supporting their backers, but frankly I'm never turning my WiiU on again any time soon. The sooner they get a Switch version out, the better.

This is where I'm at. Now that I have a Switch I'm really regretting backing Wii U versions of things. Like Shantae. I hate that I have it on Wii U when I'd rather play it on Switch, but buying on Switch means I'd have to buy all the DLC that I'm getting free on Wii U. *sigh*

Top Bottom