• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra-EA downplays Dungeon Keeper free-to-play criticism/rate it 1-4 stars?

Z3M0G

I made a graph for those wondering (from http://investor.ea.com/annuals.cfm data), in USD:
screenshotfrom2014-029zadw.png

Holy shit!

Can someone explain the major events at their highest and lowest points?

Phades

I don't see EA making any more always-on, "cloud" based versions of SimCity

EA isn't a kid that will change their tune if people stop playing with them. You better believe that they go after this FTP microtransaction hell because they see money in it. If this market doesn't earn them money, they won't stay in it

Boycotting Titanfall, Battlefield or whatever else EA is putting out won't help. I'm not defending them as I think they put out rubbish, but if they put out a decent title I'm not going to avoid purchasing it. My point was that unless your goal is to bankrupt EA no matter what, I don't see why purchasing some other title means that you support this garbage.

Their corporate practices creep into everything. You would be blind to not see that. EA bankrupting would be entirely their own doing aside from that insisting that they know what is best for the consumer. As such, I doubt that you will see another simcity anytime in this generation console wise (5~7 years). Stuff like that tend to kill off a brand/IP entirely.

You have to identify the source of the problem before a solution can be had. You seem to be arguing in favor of all the development houses under EA somehow magically having issues ranging from core design to accessability and that none of it is releated to the main company vision/direction. I find it much easier to see that EA is laying the groundwork/rails for this stuff and telling the devs to start up the trains and it comes as no surprise when the train goes flying off the rails afterwards with the natural consumer reaction to it.

It is just par for course for them and to expect otherwise would be an excercise in insanity. If you are willing to accept those things though, then by all means have at it.

Kuro

Why do I get the feeling EA makes big sites deal with this shit for game reviews. "review our game as 7-9 or give it a 10 if its actually good." As in, scores below a 7 don't exist.

Card Boy

Banned
How did ME3 nickel and dime consumers? ME3 was a great value. If a 20+ hour RPG isn't worth $60 then I don't know what is.

Ignored the From Ashes DLC did we? Where they cut the content from the main game and sold it as paid DLC. You could literally change 1 line in a text file to enable it.

Dougald

Their corporate practices creep into everything. You would be blind to not see that. EA bankrupting would be entirely their own doing aside from that insisting that they know what is best for the consumer. As such, I doubt that you will see another simcity anytime in this generation console wise (5~7 years). Stuff like that tend to kill off a brand/IP entirely.

You have to identify the source of the problem before a solution can be had. You seem to be arguing in favor of all the development houses under EA somehow magically having issues ranging from core design to accessability and that none of it is releated to the main company vision/direction. I find it much easier to see that EA is laying the groundwork/rails for this stuff and telling the devs to start up the trains and it comes as no surprise when the train goes flying off the rails afterwards with the natural consumer reaction to it.

It is just par for course for them and to expect otherwise would be an excercise in insanity. If you are willing to accept those things though, then by all means have at it.

Not even remotely. I'm simply arguing against boycotting a decent EA published title because EA puts out some crap. They are indeed putting out more crap like this, SimCity, etc due to their policies, but rather than a blanket boycott of EA I simply don't buy the titles that involve this bullshit

If Titanfall (for example) turns out to be something I'm interested in, then I won't let this stop it. If it's full of pay to win DLC and other EA-esque problems, then I'll take my money elsewhere. I'm simply saying judge the product, not the developer or publisher.

Phades

Not even remotely. I'm simply arguing against boycotting a decent EA published title because EA puts out some crap. They are indeed putting out more crap like this, SimCity, etc due to their policies, but rather than a blanket boycott of EA I simply don't buy the titles that involve this bullshit

If Titanfall (for example) turns out to be something I'm interested in, then I won't let this stop it. If it's full of pay to win DLC and other EA-esque problems, then I'll take my money elsewhere. I'm simply saying judge the product, not the developer or publisher.
In simply buying titanfall you are accepting at a minimum that paying additional fees for an online only game is OK, or being restricted to origin and whatever other oddities that will entail with its flavor of DRM and server up/downtime.

In a similar vein of thought, I didn't buy diablo 3 as a byproduct of the buisness practices put forward forcing that issue alone.

There can be different arguments to be had individually for different titles and companies. The problem lies in trying to wash all of those away simply because title X is a "good game". Some things can ruin even that and will only be allowed to become more pervasive if it is supported over time.

Skunkers

Gotta agree here. Plus it has the added benefit of showing up on their metrics. If everyone blanket boycotts EA, their sales numbers will universally go down but they won't know what the problem is. If everybody just boycotts specific games with shitty DLC/F2P/etc, then all of a sudden, they see those games don't sell well, and products without those practices do.

Gotta agree here. Plus it has the added benefit of showing up on their metrics. If everyone blanket boycotts EA, their sales numbers will universally go down but they won't know what the problem is. If everybody just boycotts specific games with shitty DLC/F2P/etc, then all of a sudden, they see those games don't sell well, and products without those practices do.

If that's the rationalization you need, then go for it. I prefer to remain consistent.

Dougald

In simply buying titanfall you are accepting at a minimum that paying additional fees for an online only game is OK, or being restricted to origin and whatever other oddities that will entail with its flavor of DRM and server up/downtime.

In a similar vein of thought, I didn't buy diablo 3 as a byproduct of the buisness practices put forward forcing that issue alone.

There can be different arguments to be had individually for different titles and companies. The problem lies in trying to wash all of those away simply because title X is a "good game". Some things can ruin even that and will only be allowed to become more pervasive if it is supported over time.

DRM/Fees etc come into it in terms of not buying the software, if you find them unacceptable then of course don't buy it. I honestly only used TF as an example because it's all I can think of that EA are publishing this year that's not Fifa or Madden

Again, I'm arguing that even if I want the game, and I didn't have any problem with anything involving the title, that it would be silly not to buy it just to stick it to EA for titles that do this. Vote with your wallet and only support titles that you agree with. I'm not sure how clear I can be on this point without repeating myself again, so I'll leave it at that

Holy shit!

Can someone explain the major events at their highest and lowest points?

Basically the higher points was the PS2-generation era.

EA was a company that released a lot of games with multiple-SKU versions for different platforms. Licensing was profitable (EA had the Bond license and released a bunch of tie-in games from movies like Batman). Games like NFS Underground, their sports games become great hits and also it was an era where middle sized IP could be profitable.

What happened? HD increasing costs happened.

When releasing so many games like EA and considering the higer costs associated with HD development you need every one of them to be high sellers, but as the market showed only a few games can reach those numbers. Games like Mirror Edge or Dead Space were praised by it's quality but they didn't exactly set the charts on fire. The same happened with games, not so praised but also big productions, like Dante's Inferno. Basically they realized by painfully bleeding money, that the core market and the big boys in the industry can't afford to release games that sell 1 million copies like before, they need big hits and only certain games/IP's are big hits. So EA scaled back the numbers of game they produced for consoles and started focusing on mobile stuff which is were the real money is these days.

More or less is this, unless I'm really wrong.

It takes wide-spread, articulate shitstorm plus a shot to the wallet to get movement in the right direction reguarding this stuff (see how it took both crappy Bone preorders plus "it's just a PR problem" being routinely debunked from all angles before the 180s hit).

That said, I sympathize with Dougald, as I've had that choice to make a number of times, and have come down on both sides with my decision. It's usually a matter of whether or not I feel the bad behavior was indiciative of their corporate culture or not.

Top Bottom