• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra Xbox Live Arcade Sales Analysis, July 2012 (Spelunky, Summer of Arcade)

Pranay

That's a pretty good point, I hadn't thought of that.

That said, I find the current dashboard really annoying to navigate, there's so many ads there, I can't tell the difference between an ad and a promotion and just gloss over everything that's not my library/the marketplace.

Yeah MS needs to promote games outside the dashboard and also in a better.

Atleast Sony Twitter, FB and blog promotes their small games quite well.

I never heard of Spelunky before <.<

The frogger numbers are dismal.

So mich good stuff coming up too -- Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2, MVsC Origins, NiGHTS HD, Counter Strike, Hell Yeah, Skulls of the Shogun, Pid, Retro City Rampage, Joe Danger 2, and so many other games. How they didn't beat some of these games baffles me.

I'm pumped.

How have XBLA sales been affected by the new dashboard? They seem less visible than before.

You nailed it. I sometimes forget that new XBLA games are coming out whereas on the old dashboard, I was always well aware.
It's definitely hurting sales across the board.

Feindflug

Spelunky deserved much better sales than this, such an amazing game that's totally worth the 1200 points but for some reason it seemed too expensive to most of my friends - if the game was 800 points it would do much much better, that's why MS must price games smarter just like they did with Fez which is also totally worth the 1200 points IMO but the lower price clearly helped it.

Also pretty disappointing numbers for Wreckateer, BTW guys are there any Kinect only arcade titles that did well? Fruit Ninja did some good numbers IIRC.

keenest

It is a shame Zuma's Revenge also has not done so great. It is a great title to just chill out to. The global rankings per level is a great feature, similar to what Peggle has. It gives you enough incentive to keep retrying levels to try and improve your score.

Microsoft prioritize ads over game sales now it seems, then they will announce that XBLA has had a good run but it's time to put that dog down even though they caused the downfall by shoving ads in our face.

GG microsoft.

How have XBLA sales been affected by the new dashboard? They seem less visible than before.
This has to be an issue. Arcade is a mess now. Oh look so and so game released. No wait, its a stupid video of the game. =
Yeah Spelunky was not my type of game. Die, start over. No thanks.

Microsoft prioritize ads over game sales now it seems, then they will announce that XBLA has had a good run but it's time to put that dog down even though they caused the downfall by shoving ads in our face.

GG microsoft.

yet it keeps getting more and more exclusives so obviously the sales are there if not growing.

gaf often seems to have a really negative attitude towards xbla/microsofts policies/sales, yet the simple fact is if the $ werent there they wouldn't keep racking up exclusives.

And "put the old dog down" really just crossed that post into trolling. I mean, really, yeah, Microsoft is going to cancel XBLA really soon. You nailed it bro.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
So mich good stuff coming up too -- Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 2, MVsC Origins, NiGHTS HD, Counter Strike, Hell Yeah, Skulls of the Shogun, Pid, Retro City Rampage, Joe Danger 2, and so many other games. How they didn't beat some of these games baffles me.

Yeah. Great selection there. Let's hope they fix the dashboard and actually feature promote these bad boys.

segarr

yet it keeps getting more and more exclusives so obviously the sales are there if not growing.

gaf often seems to have a really negative attitude towards xbla/microsofts policies/sales, yet the simple fact is if the $ werent there they wouldn't keep racking up exclusives.

And "put the old dog down" really just crossed that post into trolling. I mean, really, yeah, Microsoft is going to cancel XBLA really soon. You nailed it bro.

Seriously. Cancelling XBLA? That's some crazy hyperbole if I ever saw some. Yeah, a game just passed 4 mil but Frogger didn't sell so it's time to kill it! MS was on this arcade thing long before their competitors since the first Xbox. It's not going anywhere.

Beat? It's not like the games in SoA won a contest or something.

Those games you list likely weren't finished before the SoA schedule was set. I think that is the biggest factor for determining what comes out in the SoA. What decent/interesting games are going to be ready during this time frame.

Terrible numbers, but like some have said, the lineup quite frankly sucks this year pretty bad compared to previous SoA promos. THPS HD is a janky cash grab that sacrifices local multi and having a fuller set of levels to promote DLC sales, and lacks 60FPS, 720p, splitscreen that THPS 2X on the OG XBOX had in 2001. Wreckateer was weak and oversimplified due to a severe lack of dynamic physics which 2D titles, like Crush the Castle and Angry Birds, have as a baseline for the experience and replayability factor. Hybrid feels too barebones and familar despite the polish and persistent world war bit. Deadlight is pretty decent, overall, but lacks something that puts it up to its $15, like the previously mentioned 1200pt games or the 800pt Kinect title. Only Dust feels on par, from the hype and positive WOM, and seems to match the heights of previous standout SoA titles. On top of that, the discount sucks despite being a bit more reasonable than the last one where all of the titles were required to get it, including a Kinect title. PSN Play does the discount much better this year and in line with the SoA from 2010 or so where you had options to entice you to buy in for at least three titles that were more interesting to choose from but also had a five title discount on top of all that, too. SoA has definitely suffered compared to the past selections and discounts.

Thing is, SoA may not matter near as much thanks to so many big quality releases outside of the promotion, like MC X360. Perhaps, like someone said, dilution of the promo has taken effect thanks to so many other ones being added in over the years.

The mothafuckas who made janky-ass TH HD laughin' to the bank with this, I guess.

If Dust starts selling Splunky numbers, we riot

Beat? It's not like the games in SoA won a contest or something.

Those games you list likely weren't finished before the SoA schedule was set. I think that is the biggest factor for determining what comes out in the SoA. What decent/interesting games are going to be ready during this time frame.
Not so sure this is true. There have been rumblings and it's well know there's a backlog of finished and waiting titles on XBLA (and probably the others).

Top Bottom