• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy / Game Boy Color Appreciation Thread

The GB/GBC line is indeed amazing. They are of course two separate consoles, just like the DS and DSi, but because they're similar, and because there are a lot of dual-mode games that work on both systems, they are usually mixed. That actually annoys me a bit -- I think that the three categories (GB games, GB/GBC dual-mode titles, and GBC-only games) ARE different, and should be each listed separately -- but yes, they're both great systems. The original GB's only matched by the DS for best handheld system, I would say, and the GBC, while its life was short and its hardware dated, has a quite impressive library considering how short it lasted.

As for my favorite games...

Original GB
--
Top 10

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (still my favorite 2d Zelda and handheld game ever)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (my favorite Wario game and a great platformer)
Donkey Kong ['94] (SGB enhanced) (great, great puzzle/platformer classic)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (SGB enhanced) (my favorite Kirby platformer)
Gradius: The Interstellar Assault (a bit easy, but otherwise one of the best Gradius games)
Final Fantasy Adventure (the first and still my favorite game in the Mana series.)
Kirby's Pinball Land (one of the greatest 8-bit pinball games)
Mega Man IV and V (V is SGB enhanced; these are two of the best Mega Man games ever.)
Micro Machines (great version of the classic! Has link cable support for 1-4 player separate-screen multiplayer, too -- it's not only single-screen stuff like the series usually only has.)
Mole Mania (great Lolo-inspired puzzle game. Nintendo needs to make more of this. SGB enhanced.)

Honorable mentions: There are of course far more good GB games than this, but I haven't played everything. That said: Donkey Kong Land 1-3 (1 and 3 are entirely original games; 2 is an adaptation of the SNES game. As a result I'd recommend 1 and 3 first. All three are SGB enhanced, with the same border.), Ninja Gaiden Shadow (very fun but short and easy), Wave Race (impressive game, really, and battery save), F1 Race (battery save is nice.), Super R.C. Pro-Am, Nemesis (Gradius), Quarth (quite good, original shmup/puzzle game), Batman, Super Mario Land (yes, it's a great game), Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins, Looney Tunes, Taz-Mania, Speedy Gonzales, Duck Dodgers (Sunsoft's GB Looney Tunes games are all good), Revenge of the Gator (HAL's first handheld pinball game), Balloon Kid, Alleyway (so addictive...), Solar Striker, Aerostar (somewhat interesting), Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby's Star Stacker, Bionic Commando (pretty good game), Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man III (IV and V outshine this, but it's a great, tough Mega Man game), Operation C, Castlevania Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge, Battle Arena Toshinden (SGB enhanced with 2 player on SNES. This game's more fun than you'd think... it's actually probably my favorite Toshinden game, even if it is incredibly easy.), James Bond 007 (It's a Zelda-style Bond game! SGB enhanced.), Metroid II: Return of Samus, Lazlo's Leap (challenging Solitaire (the stone-jumping one) title with battery save), The Incredible Crash Test Dummies (I know, this probably should be in the next category down, but I've always been amused by this game...), Radar Mission (simple but fun Battleship/shooter game), DuckTales 1 and 2 (NES adaptations, but good ones), Yoshi's Cookie, Tetris, Motocross Maniacs, Rolan's Curse (super simple but fun Zelda-ish game with passwords), Rolan's Curse 2 (battery this time, and more ambitious. Uncommon.), Adventure Island I and II (these are adaptations of the NES Adventure Island II and III games, but the level designs are different -- these aren't straight ports. I mostly find this series bland and not that great, but these are among the better ones.), Milon's Secret Castle (with password save in this version), Out of Gas (interesting, unique action/puzzle/racing title), Gargoyle's Quest (great early GB platformer/RPG classic!), Kwirk (tough but interesting maze-style puzzle game), Tetris Blast (Bombliss, good puzzler), Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman (SGB enhanced, with four player support on SNES. The first GB Bomberman game.), Bomberman GB (the second GB Bomberman game. Again SGB enhanced with 4-player on SNES only. Very good Bomberman game, this is one of my favorite versions. Note there is a code to play the battle mode in 1-player mode. That AI... :lol), Bonk's Revenge (solid Bonk game. SGB enhanced.), Amazing Penguin (fun version of an arcade classic)

Okay games I got enjoyment out of: Super Return of the Jedi (not amazing, but a fun little game, and I think it's far better than those first two GB Star Wars games, the ones also on NES.), the three Ninja Turtles games and Zen: Intergalactic Ninja (all four run on the same engine and are fairly average but amusing; TMNT III is tough, the others on the easy side.), The Castlevania Adventure (slow and dull but not awful), Torpedo Range (minigame-ish title maybe inspired by Radar Mission, but not quite as good as that game; still worth a try. Battery!), Tiny Toon Adventures (both games are decent but not amazing), Monster Truck Wars (easy and lacking variety, but I like simple topdown racers like this), Tarzan: Lord of the Jungle (GAH THIS NEEDS SAVING! Otherwise interesting.), Yoshi (this was the only GB puzzle game I had in the '90s... it's alright, but not great.), Brain Drain (SGB-enhanced rotate-the-tiles matching puzzler. Depends on if you like this style of game.)

Dishonorable Mentions: Mega Man II (I don't know what happened here, but this is both one of the easiest, worst sounding, and least fun Mega Man games ever.), Toy Story (in retrospect it's probably just below average, but in the '90s I considered this the worst GB game I owned.), The Lion King (AMAZING music, some of the system's best, and great graphics, but horrible play control! Do play this for the great soundtrack, but there's nothing much else good here. Easier levels than the SNES by far, but worse play control.)

Game Boy / Game Boy Color Dual-Mode titles
--
Top 10

Survival Kids (also has SGB support for the GB version. Same game either way, and it's an outstanding game, better than most of the "Lost in Blue" games that are its spiritual sequels. It's really sad that this game's sequel (for the GBC) was only released in Japan and still doesn't even have a translation patch!
R-Type DX (GBC version is FAR better and more complete, with battery save for scores, level select, colorized versions, and more. On an original GB it's just a straight "collection of the two original GB carts" thing, with no saving or anything.)
Montezuma's Revenge (this is one of the best GB games most people have never heard of. An absolute must-play for anyone who likes '80s-style platforming. Super hard but awesome.)
Wario Land 2 (this was also released for the original GB, but this is the version I've played, and I do think the color makes it better. Note both are very nicely SGB enhanced for tbe GB version. I've always had somewhat mixed feelings about this game, but it IS good.)
Hexcite (SGB enhanced, with 2-player mode there or with link. This boardgame conversion is one of the most addictive games on the GB -- After buying the game early that year, I probably played more of this game in 2011 than anything else, period.)
Conker's Pocket Tales (this is two entirely different top-down platform/action games, one for GB/SGB, and the other for GBC. You can only have a save file for one or the other on the cart at any time, but both are fun. I think I actually like the GB version more.)
Shanghai Pocket (no saving, but it's otherwise pretty good. SGB enhanced.)
Mega Man Xtreme (it was disappointing that it's a SNES port instead of entirely original like the GB Mega Man games, but otherwise it's great.)
Ghosts 'n' Goblins (password save! Yes!)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (I prefer the original version, but this is great too. Has SGB support and a dungeon only playable on a GBC.)

Honorable Mentions: Asteroids (Fun remake of the original classic, with new gameplay, an ending, etc. Nice graphics.), Shamus (expanded remake of an Atari-era classic, this time with passwords, an ending, etc, but with the classic gameplay. It's decent but very hard.), Tetris DX (Tetris, but color, SGB and SGB2 support, some different music, and battery backup for scores.), Looney Tunes (colorized port, essentially; still a good game), Speedy Gonzales: Aztec Adventure (very similar to the original), Pocket Bomberman (it's a Bomberman sidescroller! Easy game, but fun while it lasts. Jump mode's great too. SGB support.), Bomberman Quest (the first RPG-ish Bomberman. Bomberman Tournament on GBA's another one.), Power Quest (SGB support, with 2-player. Fighting game RPG. Not the best, but not too bad either!)

Okay but can be fun: Ballistic (now better known as Zuma and such, this a version of Mitchell's original. If this had saving, it'd move up a category for sure, but as is, with no battery, I can't quite recommend it. I mean, it's fun, but be prepared to write down scores, and do the whole challenge mode in one sitting.)

Game Boy Color Only games
--
Top 10

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (probably my second favorite 2d Zelda after LA)
Bionic Commando: Elite Forces (my favorite Bionic Commando game)
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (awesome package with some exclusive content)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (not as good as Ages, but still good)
Micro Machines V3 (no link cable support, but otherwise a great port)
WarLocked (extremely simplistic but impressive for the system)
Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (not as original now as it was in 2000, certainly, but a fun game anyway)
Donkey Kong Country (fantastic port, amazing visuals, one new exclusive level, but it is a port)
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Heroes of Might & Magic (there's a sequel too, but I only have the first one. It's HoMM2-inspired, which is awesome.)

Honorable Mentions (again, I can only cover ones I've played...): Lufia: The Legend Returns (Good dungeon-crawler RPG with great graphics), Rayman, Rayman 2 (both of these are solid fun; note that the second one has battery save, the first passwords.), Project S-11 (pretty shmup, decent but not amazing gameplay), 1942 (good port, passwords added, but it's kind of dull as always), Scooby-Doo: Classic Creep Capers (graphic adventure game), Wario Land 3, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (Puzzle League/Tetris Attack in good form), Top Gear Pocket, Top Gear Pocket 2, Armorines (this got poor reviews, but I like it), Frogger 2 (great, simple original Frogger title)

Okay games I got enjoyment out of: Snow White (ridiculously easy but decent), Inspector Gadget (platformer with all 3 main characters playable, each with different abilities), WDL Thunder Tanks (decent 8-bit Battletanx), Army Men Air Combat, Portal Runner, Lemmings (decent port, with battery and lots of levels, but there are fewer Lemmings here, and there's no speed-up, so it's very slow. The backgrounds don't animate at all either -- it's all static.), San Francisco Rush 2049 (like 10% as good as the exceptional console game, but it's an okay-ish topdown racer.), Lucky Luke (it's a colorized GB rerelease, but looks nice enough. Alright sidescroller.), Magical Drop (this is the worst Magical Drop game ever, I think, with only one mode -- endless -- and no saving, but... Magical Drop's such a great game that I don't regret spending a few dollars for it. No one should pay anything more than that for this game though.)

Dishonorable Mentions: Micro Machines 1&2: Twin Turbo (mediocre port, both games are better on the original GB, no link cable support, and some bad color choices), Pokemon Pinball (it's not just the Pokemon, it's that both tables are awful compared to Kirby's Pinball Land or Revenge of the Gator.), M&Ms: Minis Madness, Commander Keen (a shamefully subpar take on one of the best PC shareware series ever), Cruis'n Exotica (very nice graphics, and it could have been good, but they BADLY messed up the gameplay. Essentially, in order to not lose every race, you must tap the accelerator at all times, or something like that -- hold it down and you'll finish last every time. Yeah, it's broken junk. Too bad, because there was a lot of promise here.), Pong: The Next Level (the PS1/PC game's good, but this... this is not.)

I can't wait for it to arrive! I actually paid a very decent price for a near mint unit. I am excite.

So, that's my OG Game Boy player sorted. I'm gonna go ahead and repeat my question though. The optimum display for a GBC game would be a GBA SP+, right?
For the most part the GBA SP is the best way to play GBC games, yes, but there are a couple of factors that make an actual GBC a good idea for anyone who likes the system.

GBAs display GBC games darker than they are supposed to be, actually. So do GBA SPs, GB Players, and all the rest of them -- yellows are almost brown, and all the other colors are too dark as well. You get used to it, sure, but if you want GBC games the way they're supposed to look, you need an actual GBC; nothing else except for emulators gets it right. Apparently there are some GBCs that even have the too-dark screens, too, but most have the better lighter screens.

Second, Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (motion controlled game, remember) requires a system with the cart port up top, so if you want to play that game without reversed controls, you must play it with either a GBC, or an original GBA. On an SP up will be down and vice versa.

The final reason to consider getting an actual GBC is that Bionic Commando Elite Forces, in my opinion one of the best GBC games, has a very odd bug when playing on any GBA/GBP hardware -- the game crashes if you play a topdown truck mission, and then enter a regular sidescrolling level. The way around this is that after turning the game on (and yes, you must do this every time), you have to start a new game, get game over, and THEN load your file. On a GBC, however, the bug doesn't occur, and you can play as normal.

Chopper

GBAs display GBC games darker than they are supposed to be, actually. So do GBA SPs, GB Players, and all the rest of them -- yellows are almost brown, and all the other colors are too dark as well. You get used to it, sure, but if you want GBC games the way they're supposed to look, you need an actual GBC; nothing else except for emulators gets it right. Apparently there are some GBCs that even have the too-dark screens, too, but most have the better lighter screens.

Second, Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble (motion controlled game, remember) requires a system with the cart port up top, so if you want to play that game without reversed controls, you must play it with either a GBC, or an original GBA. On an SP up will be down and vice versa.

The final reason to consider getting an actual GBC is that Bionic Commando Elite Forces, in my opinion one of the best GBC games, has a very odd bug when playing on any GBA/GBP hardware -- the game crashes if you play a topdown truck mission, and then enter a regular sidescrolling level. The way around this is that after turning the game on (and yes, you must do this every time), you have to start a new game, get game over, and THEN load your file. On a GBC, however, the bug doesn't occur, and you can play as normal.
Woah thanks for the game suggestions and for this info here. I have a GBC, and it's great, but the lack of backlight is a real drag, moreso now that I know the colours are optimized to that platform. Honestly, I don't know how I survived playing my OG Game Boy as a kid in natural light...

Gsak

Gameboy... My first portable console. I was around 8-9 years old. I still have it. Yes, the classic white/gray.

So many great games, so many beautiful memories...

Celine

Great post ABF.
I suppose you never played DQ3 because that is hands down the best RPG on GB/GBC and one of the greatest ever for an handheld.

Mythri by Team XKalibur - that was the RPG that really got me started in the gaming industry. I so wish we could have finished and shipped that game, it had a great story, literally the best GBC music I've ever heard, and awesome art. But unfortunately none of us had any experience in the gaming industry, and we were WAY naive in thinking we could finish the game in 6 months with that small team. And the GBA came out, meaning the only GBC games that could really sell decently after that were really huge licenses like Harry Potter.

mythri-02.gif

mythri-06.gif
I thought so (well that or Project Infinity).
A shame indeed.

Woah thanks for the game suggestions and for this info here. I have a GBC, and it's great, but the lack of backlight is a real drag, moreso now that I know the colours are optimized to that platform. Honestly, I don't know how I survived playing my OG Game Boy as a kid in natural light...
Yeah, I'd say try the games on GBC and GBA SP, and see what you think; some really do look worse on GBA, like Bionic Commando Elite Forces, but plenty of GBC games look okay with the darker palette. It's just something to be aware of, and it is a reason to keep a GBC around.

As for backlighting, that is an issue in low-light conditions, I guess. I never really minded not having a backlight, though I did get a Worm Light back in the late '90s. It broke some years later though, and I didn't replace it. I moslty dealt with the problem by playing under lights. I used the original-model GBA for years, too; didn't get an SP, I went from the original GBA to the DS. The original GBA is much darker than the GBC, original GB, or Neo-Geo Pocket Color; those three do have no lighting, but they pick up light fairly well, I think. The GBA, though, that one can be dark... I liked it a lot anyway, but there were issues in a few games (Yggdra Union...).

New additions to list -- I found stuff I'd forgotten... and of course, I know there are plenty more, in the huge GB library I don't own... but that is why they're great platforms, yes? :)

GB Main List: Mole Mania (great Lolo-inspired puzzle game. Nintendo needs to make more of this. SGB enhanced.) -- Mario Land 2 is bumped off. I knew I was forgetting something important, that game's good, but not quite on my top 10. And indeed I was, Mole Mania's fantastic.

GB Honorable: Tetris Blast (Bombliss, good puzzler), Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman (SGB enhanced, with four player support on SNES. The first GB Bomberman game.), Bomberman GB (the second GB Bomberman game. Again SGB enhanced with 4-player on SNES only. Very good Bomberman game, this is one of my favorite versions. Note there is a code to play the battle mode in 1-player mode. That AI... :lol), Bonk's Revenge (solid Bonk game.), Amazing Penguin (fun version of an arcade classic)

GB Okay: Brain Drain (SGB-enhanced rotate-the-tiles matching puzzler. Depends on if you like this style of game.)

GB/C Main List (new #5, so Asteroids is bumped off): Hexcite (SGB enhanced, with 2-player mode there or with link. This boardgame conversion is one of the most addictive games on the GB -- I probably played more of this game in 2011 than anything else, period.) -- I can't believe I forgot this one, such a great game!

GB/C Honorable: Pocket Bomberman (it's a Bomberman sidescroller! Easy game, but fun while it lasts. Jump mode's great too. SGB support.), Bomberman Quest (the first RPG-ish Bomberman. Bomberman Tournament on GBA's another one.), Power Quest (SGB support, with 2-player. Fighting game RPG. Not the best, but not too bad either!)

GB/C Okay: Ballistic (now better known as Zuma and such, this a version of Mitchell's original. If this had saving, it'd move up a category for sure, but as is, with no battery, I can't quite recommend it. I mean, it's fun, but be prepared to write down scores, and do the whole challenge mode in one sitting.)

GBC Only Dishonorable: Pong: The Next Level (the PS1/PC game's good, but this... this is not.)

Why on earth does this thread not yet have Metal Gear Solid listed? It took this long? I've still got my original copy. It's awesome.

mgsgb.jpg

Recently bought a Japanese copy of this from a local store. I forgot just how much I loved it.

A fantastic Metal Gear game that gets overlooked way too often.

Recently bought a Japanese copy of this from a local store. I forgot just how much I loved it.

A fantastic Metal Gear game that gets overlooked way too often.

I owned a copy of this too, It's great, but I think I spent more time playing the VR missions than I did playing the actual game.

Also, I spent a lot of time with Super Mario Bros Deluxe. Smaller viewing distance be damned, the bonus material made it worth owning.

Great post ABF.
I suppose you never played DQ3 because that is hands down the best RPG on GB/GBC and one of the greatest ever for an handheld.
I haven't played it, but I don't know if I'd like it or not. Super-grindey menu-based JRPGs have never been one of my favorite things, that's for sure. I have a LOT more tolerance for these now than I ever did in the '80s or '90s -- I can actually sometimes like them now -- but still... I don't know.

Oh, I do have DQIV and IX for the DS. They're alright, IX in particular, but most 8/16-bit-style JRPGs get tedious after a while thanks to the minimal use of strategy (I love strategy games, Fire Emblem is my favorite game for the GBA for instance) and the high degree of repetition.

On another note, I do actually have MGS for the GBC, but I shouldn't have bought it; I knew I probably wouldn't like it, because that isn't a series I've ever loved, and indeed, it's not really my thing. I guess it might be better than Perfect Dark for the GBC, but that's not saying much... PD for GBC isn't very good. Really, Rare's GBC library was quite mixed in quality -- I actually like the GB version of Conker on the cart more than the GBC one (though both are decent), I don't like either one of the two Mickey kart racing games much, and Perfect Dark's mediocre at best too. Of their GBC games, only Donkey Kong Country, which is fantastic, and presumably also that Japan-only GBC version of Donkey Kong Land III (not mentioned in my list because I haven't played it), stand out as great games. And that's why DKC and Conker are the only Rare GB/C games to show up on my list.

Chopper

Yeah, I'd say try the games on GBC and GBA SP, and see what you think; some really do look worse on GBA, like Bionic Commando Elite Forces, but plenty of GBC games look okay with the darker palette. It's just something to be aware of, and it is a reason to keep a GBC around.
My frontlit SP washes out the colours. I found this with GBA games too, and is presumably an unfortunate side effect to frontlit systems. It makes sense. I love my Micro, but it won't play GBC games, so if I want the best system for playing both GBA and GBC games on them, I'm gonna need an SP+. Anyone got one they want to sell me?!

Rich!

My frontlit SP washes out the colours. I found this with GBA games too, and is presumably an unfortunate side effect to frontlit systems. It makes sense. I love my Micro, but it won't play GBC games, so if I want the best system for playing both GBA and GBC games on them, I'm gonna need an SP+. Anyone got one they want to sell me?!

Ive got an EZ-Flash IV flashcart for my GB Micro, and using the Goomba Color emulator I can play GB/GBC games (runs using hardware emulation, so its pretty much flawless). Got my entire GBA and GB library on it.

edit: here's some pics!

x01I6.jpg

YFwR7.jpg

Obviously, purists may prefer to use the original cartridges and consoles - but like hell am I lugging around an OG GB and all my carts to work each day. Or a GBA and my games either. This cart can fit them ALL on.

yay!

@MUWANdo

Banned

Elite Forces is buggy, period. Some of the bugs are really easy to trigger, too. I have no idea how they managed to pass lotcheck.

Mythri by Team XKalibur - that was the RPG that really got me started in the gaming industry. I so wish we could have finished and shipped that game, it had a great story, literally the best GBC music I've ever heard, and awesome art. But unfortunately none of us had any experience in the gaming industry, and we were WAY naive in thinking we could finish the game in 6 months with that small team. And the GBA came out, meaning the only GBC games that could really sell decently after that were really huge licenses like Harry Potter.

mythri-02.gif

mythri-06.gif

Man, I remember following the progress of this game for aaages, and was bummed when it all collapsed, even though in retrospect it never really seemed like it was gonna happen. Every time I see Tom Hulett's name mentioned in a Silent Hill article or whatever I think of Mythri, and what could have been...

Does the game still exist in any form? It'd be cool if you could finally negotiate some sort of release, be it through one of those Sega homebrew crews like Watermelon/Super Fighter Team or even just online.

bomb_jack

Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

This was listed as a "notable mention" in the OP, but it deserves more love, as I think it's one of the best games on GB/GBC. Unlike the regular Pokemon games, it hasn't aged one bit, and it allows you to play the Pokemon TCG without spending a fortune on real-life cards. For those of you who haven't played it, the Pokemon TCG is incredibly fun, and manages to be incredibly easy to grasp, but deep enough that strategy plays a big part.

Also, unlike the regular Pokemon games, there's no bullshit grinding for dozens/hundreds of hours before you get to the meat of the game; you can start building great decks pretty quickly.

It really upsets me that they never released a sequel (well, they released one in Japan, but that was also for GBC, so it wouldn't have had that many more cards). A more up-to-date version with a lot more series of cards would be incredible.

Eerily enough a fan translation of the sequel was released today, it seems to be more or less perfect.

KoolKing

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys who are recommending some of these licensed games that I would otherwise overlook. Went down to the local game shop and picked up a copy of the Scooby Doo game this morning and the Maniac Mansion comparison is spot on. I know the same store had a copy of Mickey's Racing Adventure at one point and ow I'm kicking myself for passing on that one.

Unfortunately I don't have too much to add that hasn't already been discussed, but the GBC port of Dragons Lair is an amazing technical achievement.

Elite Forces is buggy, period. Some of the bugs are really easy to trigger, too. I have no idea how they managed to pass lotcheck.
I've heard it has other bugs, but that's the only one I run into. The weirdest thing about it isn't even the bug, though; the GBA wasn't out yet then, after all. The weirdest thing is that workaround that makes the game work on a GBA. I have no idea why that works...

Man, I remember following the progress of this game for aaages, and was bummed when it all collapsed, even though in retrospect it never really seemed like it was gonna happen. Every time I see Tom Hulett's name mentioned in a Silent Hill article or whatever I think of Mythri, and what could have been...

Does the game still exist in any form? It'd be cool if you could finally negotiate some sort of release, be it through one of those Sega homebrew crews like Watermelon/Super Fighter Team or even just online.
Yeah, I remember following that one as well, back when IGN had a quite good GBC site. It'd be interesting to see sometime, if it survived.

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys who are recommending some of these licensed games that I would otherwise overlook. Went down to the local game shop and picked up a copy of the Scooby Doo game this morning and the Maniac Mansion comparison is spot on. I know the same store had a copy of Mickey's Racing Adventure at one point and ow I'm kicking myself for passing on that one.

Unfortunately I don't have too much to add that hasn't already been discussed, but the GBC port of Dragons Lair is an amazing technical achievement.
The GB and GBC both have lots and lots of mediocre to bad licensed games, but yeah, some are actually decent or good, or at least are fun even if they're average. I mentioned some in my list for sure, yes, including Scooby-Doo for GBC.

On a somewhat different note, here's a good video of The Lion King for GB. You can both hear the great soundtrack (though I think on a GB it might sound slightly better, that's it), and see the really annoying, often unfun super-glitchy and pixel-precision-required gameplay and controls. (I don't have quite as hard a time of it as this guy, but I imagine that's because I've played the game more.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfvcN3gPYE

There was a GBC Lion King game much later, but I think it's even worse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_KCj3Uoj28 ... Well, the music certainly isn't anywhere near the first game's league, and the gameplay looks no better.

Chopper

The Addams Family and Bill & Ted are especially good imo.

Last progress I experienced in its development wasn't much beyond the demo that they took around to different publishers, which if I remember right started with a cutscene, then a forest region to explore, then a cave with a boss fight. And the basics of combat were in place, but not any actual combat animations. Though the story was completely done, as was the entire soundtrack, and a ton of the art was done. But then I had to leave the project, as I was completely out of money, and they got another programmer. And of course eventually they restarted the game as a GBA game.

If there has ever been system seller it's Pokemon Red/blue on GameBoy. Probably something like 80% of my friends who had GB only owned Pokemon games for it. Actually I also had only one game besides Pokemon Red and Silver. Zelda Oracle of Seasons. Shame that I didn't know english back then so I got stuck.... Now I have lost cartridge. =(

@MUWANdo

Banned
I just remembered the name of the OTHER indie western GBC JRPG that never came out... Infinity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrwJdDzpb_w

Last progress I experienced in its development wasn't much beyond the demo that they took around to different publishers, which if I remember right started with a cutscene, then a forest region to explore, then a cave with a boss fight. And the basics of combat were in place, but not any actual combat animations. Though the story was completely done, as was the entire soundtrack, and a ton of the art was done. But then I had to leave the project, as I was completely out of money, and they got another programmer. And of course eventually they restarted the game as a GBA game.

Oh, right, I'd totally forgotten about the GBA reboot... I think we saw even less of that version than the original. Thanks for the info!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A Black Falcon: you're really doing yourself a disservice by not playing Dragon Quest III. Such a classic RPG, probably one of the best on 8 bit platforms (rivaled only by stuff like Dragon Quest 4, Phantasy Star 1, Lagrange Point and Final Fantasy III).

This thread has been pretty mindblowing, I always knew there was a lot of great "hidden gems" in the GB/GBC library that I missed out on, especially in the years from 1993 onwards, when I sold my original GB to get a SNES. The Harry Potter turn-based RPG is pretty mindblowing; I'm no fan of the license but it's so weird to see a licensed game use that kinda gameplay, was it western or Japanese developed? Also that Bomberman Zelda clone looks HAWT. Will have to track down a copy.

Mole Mania was the last GB game I played through and it was an excellent game - Nintendo still proving they are unmatched when it comes to level design - shocked that there was never a DS sequel, the 2 screens of the DS would have been perfect for that kinda gameplay.

A Black Falcon: you're really doing yourself a disservice by not playing Dragon Quest III. Such a classic RPG, probably one of the best on 8 bit platforms (rivaled only by stuff like Dragon Quest 4, Phantasy Star 1, Lagrange Point and Final Fantasy III).
I own a bunch of 8-bit action-RPGs (for NES, SMS, GB, GBC...), but I don't really have any 8-bit RPGs, except for the GBC Lufia game... and I mostly have that because I was really lucky and found a complete copy of the game for $2 last year. It is actually a reasonably good game, but I've only put a few hours into it. It is a dungeon crawler and not a traditional JRPG though, so it's not exactly the same thing. I do have that DS version of DQIV, but haven't played that one much either.

Oh, I do also have Miracle Warriors for the SMS. Too grindey for me to tolerate much of.

This thread has been pretty mindblowing, I always knew there was a lot of great "hidden gems" in the GB/GBC library that I missed out on, especially in the years from 1993 onwards, when I sold my original GB to get a SNES. The Harry Potter turn-based RPG is pretty mindblowing; I'm no fan of the license but it's so weird to see a licensed game use that kinda gameplay, was it western or Japanese developed? Also that Bomberman Zelda clone looks HAWT. Will have to track down a copy.
Two Harry Potter RPGs, actually, though I haven't played them myself both are supposed to be good. And yeah, Bomberman Quest (GBC) and Bomberman Tournament (GBA) are good games.

Mole Mania was the last GB game I played through and it was an excellent game - Nintendo still proving they are unmatched when it comes to level design - shocked that there was never a DS sequel, the 2 screens of the DS would have been perfect for that kinda gameplay.
I know, it's such an obvious thing, it's pretty bizarre that they never made one. Hopefully they will on the 3DS, though given that it hasn't happened yet I'm not too hopeful. :(

Chopper

It finally arrived. The awesomest drunken purchase I ever made!

This thing is immaculate. The best I've seen for sale really, so the price was spot on. The blue backlight makes these games look fucking awesome. Definitely the "optimum" way to play outside 3DS or an SP+ (which I cannot find sensibly priced anywhere). I look forward to delving into 007 for the first time on this thing!

Booter

Nailnscale.jpg

I've played a LOT of GB games but I think NNS is easily in my top 5

It's a puzzle-platformer with extremely tight gameplay. You can throw a nail and then jump on it. Sounds simple, but it's really really well done.

gfs_38667_2_4.jpg

AndyboyH

Neo Member

This thing is immaculate. The best I've seen for sale really, so the price was spot on. The blue backlight makes these games look fucking awesome. Definitely the "optimum" way to play outside 3DS or an SP+ (which I cannot find sensibly priced anywhere). I look forward to delving into 007 for the first time on this thing!

Congratulations on the awesome purchase (it looks especially nice in silver!) - I couldn't agree more! We bought a Game Boy Light last year and is one of the best hardware purchases we've made - games look so good! It feels like the game boy should have always been backlit :)

photo16jp.jpg

photo15ef.jpg

photo14bt.jpg

Ive got an EZ-Flash IV flashcart for my GB Micro, and using the Goomba Color emulator I can play GB/GBC games (runs using hardware emulation, so its pretty much flawless). Got my entire GBA and GB library on it.

Obviously, purists may prefer to use the original cartridges and consoles - but like hell am I lugging around an OG GB and all my carts to work each day. Or a GBA and my games either. This cart can fit them ALL on.

yay!
Is the EZ Flash easy to use for novices like me that just like to drag and drop? I'd love to get one of these for my Micro. I have a whole bunch of old school carts that I never get out like DK94, Kirby's Dreamland and SML2!

Orayn

Congratulations on the awesome purchase (it looks especially nice in silver!) - I couldn't agree more! We bought a Game Boy Light last year and is one of the best hardware purchases we've made - games look so good! It feels like the game boy should have always been backlit :)

photo16jp.jpg

photo15ef.jpg

photo14bt.jpg

That is GORGEOUS!

oA0HJ.png

Chopper

God DAMMIT junior!

Amazing stuff.

Ultima_5

Is the EZ Flash easy to use for novices like me that just like to drag and drop? I'd love to get one of these for my Micro. I have a whole bunch of old school carts that I never get out like DK94, Kirby's Dreamland and SML2!

I'm curious about this aswell. Also where I could get one...

LayLa

successfully modded my Gameboy Pocket today, backlight added.
tbh i wouldn't recommend anyone try this, it's super fiddly and there are so many ways it could go wrong. i did it more as a challenge to myself than anything. seem to have lost the bottom two rows of pixels somehow, but considering how the mod went i feel i got off lightly there. overall costs - £5 for Gameboy Pocket (private seller on ebay) £14 for backlight (ASM via ebay) & about 4 hours of my time. fun!
gb.jpg

Rich!

Because it uses Mini SD cards (mine is 2GB), it is indeed drag and drop. HOWEVER, there's one issue - due to the tech in the cart, it is unable to create it's own save files. If you simply drag a ROM onto the SD, and boot up on the GBA, it won't be able to save any progress for that game.

There's a EZ Flash Client available online which you can download which both copies the game onto the SD, and creates the required *.SAV file for it to save to. It's easy as hell to use.

The other option is if you have a DS with a flashcart, there's a homebrew app for it that lets you rip your own GBA games onto the micro SD along with the save files! All you need to do then is shove those files onto the Mini SD for the GBA flash cart and voila - your collection is totally backed up, along with saves!

Booter

585781_2934_front.jpg

anyone ever play this? it's kind of a lemmings clone mixed with platformer. i used to rent it on SNES back in the day. recently bought the GB version because it's a bit rare but haven't put much time into it.

gfs_97252_2_1.jpg

rCIZZLE

Link's Awakening was one of my favorites.

One of my favorite memories from my childhood was when a group of my friends would hang out and play through this game together in one guy's treehouse. Took us a few weeks of off and on play but we finally got through it. Easily a top 10 game ever for me and my favorite on the platform.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
585781_2934_front.jpg

anyone ever play this? it's kind of a lemmings clone mixed with platformer. i used to rent it on SNES back in the day. recently bought the GB version because it's a bit rare but haven't put much time into it.

gfs_97252_2_1.jpg

Played the Super NES version as well. One of the games my parents bought with the system for me. Never did beat it, but was really entertaining, and challenging.

The way to do this is to just watch a place like Vintage Stock* and pop in now and then to see their SPs. They won't know the difference.

(*=Don't know if you're in the US, and Vintage Stock is a Midwestern thing, but maybe there's something similar where you live if not)

But either way, that Game Boy Light is amazing.

Merovin

A great thread, and some truly often overlooked games.

Zelda: Oracle of Ages is one of the greatest Zelda games ever, and if any fans of the franchise haven't played it, they're doing themselves a tremendous disservice.

Thank you for making my point for me. Such an incredible game.

rexor0717

I am beyond nostalgic for the GB/GBC. I might buy a 3ds just for the eStore if they get a good selection of games. One thing I am randomly nostalgic for is the cardboard packaging of the games. I bought soul silver just because it had cardboard packaging. Lol

You guys are killing me with these mint condition GameBoy Lights. Mine's all scuffed up on the back and the screen has a weird DMG bleed at the top... ;_;

I always wondered how legend of the river king was. not sure if it was released in US. but as an avid fisherman and RPG lover, the idea of that game sounded great.. anyone have impressions.

Booter

gb1.jpg
2.jpg

Japanese only release. A high quality puzzle game, ported from the arcade. The gameplay translates very well to the GB, better than most puzzlers I'd say.

1.png
5.png

I have one copy, cart only. Ordered a 2nd CIB from yahoo japan via celga and it never showed up :(

Top Bottom