• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Dev Story |OT| of energy drinks and booth babes. Now for Android! (iOS/And)

Remy

I decided I wanted to make a Team Fortress 2 style game called "Hat Fortress". So I chose "Shooter" and "Fashion".

The genres matched so both leveled up.

Jonnyram

AstroLad said:
Still a lot of oddly wasted space even on the iPhone.

0cVzb.png
I think this is because of the optional d-pad control? Which makes very little sense anyway, because if they got rid of that option, you could have the multiple news boxes (max 3?) all displayed at once. Hopefully there'll be an update, or a refined sequel. Retina display gfx would be nice too. How about some multiplayer too? :O

bedlamite

looking at the dimensions of the gameplay screen, it looks like this game's been directly ported from those old Symbian phones

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah it's a minor annoyance but really doesn't bother me that much.

That said I fully support your suggestions Jonny!

atomico

So my first game is out. "Simian Atoll", a pirate-themed adventure game for the PC. Yeah...

Average review score?
4!
. Filing for chapter 11 shortly

I wrote a little review for the game over at Bitmob.

It kept me up till half 5 so I felt compelled to write something about it. If any of you guys are registered over there I'd much appreciate some boosts and comments. I really want people to know about this game!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game is awesome. I'm inspired to develop because of this game. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Caved and picked it up, so much fun!

Anyone know who some of the hidden "secret characters" you can hire are? The manual says to keep an eye out for them and I'm intrigued!

Minsc

Gold Member
AstroLad said:
off the top of my head
bear, monkey, robot

Oh, I was hoping they'd be real gaming character cameos like mario or sonic, but more obscure. Oh well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hmm don't think I ran across any of those other than the stuff in the game and company names.

There were also Bill Gates and Steve Jobs guys I remember now.

Jonnyram

AstroLad said:
Hmm don't think I ran across any of those other than the stuff in the game and company names.

There were also Bill Gates and Steve Jobs guys I remember now.
An awful lot of the names are based on real people.
John Gameson = John Davison (writer)
Jake Kirby = Jake Kazdal (artist)
Shigeto Minamoto = Shigeru Miyamoto (producer)
etc.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Thats a hefty price for a game, i sit so niche that it only appeals to hardcore gamers or is it much broader than that?

Jonnyram said:
An awful lot of the names are based on real people.
John Gameson = John Davison (writer)
Jake Kirby = Jake Kazdal (artist)
Shigeto Minamoto = Shigeru Miyamoto (producer)
etc.

Mmm, I'm not sure about that first one.

The second is meant to be Jack Kirby I'm sure though, the comic artist.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Minsc said:
Caved and picked it up, so much fun!

Anyone know who some of the hidden "secret characters" you can hire are? The manual says to keep an eye out for them and I'm intrigued!
There are special characters that you hear about as the story unfolds like
the masked man and the king
. I don't know if they do anything special though?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eggo said:
There are special characters that you hear about as the story unfolds like
the masked man and the king
. I don't know if they do anything special though?
Yeah they are just regular workers, sometimes good ones. Only special one is
the monkey, who is a hardware engineer
. I did hire
the bear
for the lulz though and he's a pretty decent empoyee.

Chorazin

I just bought the shit out of this game. I've spent $4 on worse!

Looking forward to getting my dev on. :D

EDIT: Let's welcome the newest hot developer, Guns and Tits, to the market! I'm working on a sweet Ninja Puzzle game!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is a good year for me. My new online RPG Butt Cavern hit #1, and was Buttplug Games' first million seller, our dating sim "Uguu" won best design and my town sim Erection Town won best music, and we moved into new offices.

thetrin said:
This is a good year for me. My new online RPG Butt Cavern hit #1, and was Buttplug Games' first million seller, our dating sim "Uguu" won best design and my town sim Erection Town won best music, and we moved into new offices.

Oh god why did those game titles make me laugh so much? :lol :lol

Mobius 1

I let my writer try to increase the creativity on the title, instead she added 26 bugs right before going to beta. >:-(

Jonnyram

Norante said:
I let my writer try to increase the creativity on the title, instead she added 26 bugs right before going to beta. >:-(
I like bugs. They give you lots of last minute research so you can try to up some of the stats if you need to.

pilonv1

This game is destroying my productivity.

I haven't had a game review over 20 yet. One guy gave it a 4 and said "At least I got paid to play it...". Sucks to be them, it ended up selling over 100k in it's first few weeks.

I get the feeling the most fun is in the first few years as you discover everything and what works well. I'm sure there's plenty of min/maxing I could do but I'm having more fun seeing what results you get. My wrestling puzzle game "TNA Tetris" sold 50k despite reviewing 16/40 and being a fully niche title.

Hopefully the game is random so that you're not always finding the same combinations work each time you play.

mandiller

I've sold over 8 million copies of Fantasy Final 3 on sony's handheld. Woo!

How many office upgrades are there? Are there only three different offices?

Vyer

This fucking game.

I spent about 4 straight hours on it tonight. I think it might be a little too close to real life - after early success with the 8-bit consoles, I burned through cash a little too crazy and couldn't afford to get licenses for the newer consoles. I've been reduced to making crappy quick cash grabs for the handheld systems. :lol

As such, my pop star/celebrity themed shovelware is getting me back in the money.

They are getting panned but I'll be damned if they aren't moving 500K+ units a game. :lol

Something a little disturbing about keeping my director Shiggy knockoff chained to his desk pumping out shitty Jersey Shore trivia games.

Tobor

I just spent the last 3 hours on this as well.

I don't quite understand why a pirate table game was a bad idea, but I'm calling the shots. Make it anyway!

Ventron

Norante said:

New features introduce bugs. Welcome to software development. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tobor said:
I just spent the last 3 hours on this as well.

I don't quite understand why a pirate table game was a bad idea, but I'm calling the shots. Make it anyway!
I felt the same way about my Ninja ARPG, Night Moves, back in the day! Suprise-hit Lawyer Card Game made up for it though.

I played this for hours last night instead of studying. :lol

I finished the 20 hours with the highlights being selling 2M+ copies of a game and winning 12 awards including one runner-up.
I found it impossible to get into the last generation with the insane licsense fees though.

Is it possible to get a worker who doesn't complain about being used multiple times in a row?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
roosters93 said:
I played this for hours last night instead of studying. :lol

I finished the 20 hours with the highlights being selling 2M+ copies of a game and winning 12 awards including one runner-up.
I found it impossible to get into the last generation with the insane licsense fees though.

Is it possible to get a worker who doesn't complain about being used multiple times in a row?
No. I just switch them out with contractors or other workers though every third project. Last gen
I was just making stuff for my own console (market leader! although the market got quite crowded toward the end)

Does anyone else find it funny that
the moon console is in the middle? Thought it was the last one and was disappointed but then there were a ton more.

Jonnyram

OK, found one thing that just doesn't make sense.

I made my own hardware, a handheld.
Sales were lukewarm. 3M in first couple of months.
Made a sequel to my top game for the handheld.
The game rocketed up the charts, outsold the hardware by miles, and the hardware sales didn't budge an inch.

Pappasman

I've been playing this non stop since I saw this thread a yesterday. I'm loving all the slightly off names of games and consoles.

polg

I'm SO OBSESSED by this game!

My company Mintendo, sold 8 million copies of the monster RPG MonPokes. And made it into the hall of fame. MonPokes 2 was not good enough but still sold 4 million copies

Jonnyram

My 20yr totals:
38 games - 91,761,237 units

Managed to put out
"The Duke," my console
, which sold 9M in the last three months of my career.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Once you hit Year 12, if you're making games for the Game Box and have hackers on your team, you hit the Hall of Fame pretty much every single game. it's kind of ridiculous. I lost fans because I made 3 sequels to my dating sim "Densetsu no Uguu", but I could just counter act that with good marketing, and I made bucket loads.

I still haven't found a Hardware Engineer, so I'm waiting for that to make a console.

Sold 10 mill of Densetsu no Uguu 3. So good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i don't even remember what year or whatever but by the midgame the only thing i was shooting for was a 40 score and a trillion bucks HOF wasn't even a question :lol

i would love to see a properly balanced full-featured Game Dev Story2

(still had a ton of fun with this game, of course)

Jonnyram

thetrin said:
How do you?
There are booklets to change jobs. You need to get high level in a number of jobs (on the same person), then the option is open. Surprised you got a hacker first, actually - that was last for me.

thetrin

Jonnyram said:
There are booklets to change jobs. You need to get high level in a number of jobs (on the same person), then the option is open. Surprised you got a hacker first, actually - that was last for me.

I hired all my hackers. Hired 3 of them from a Hollywood Agent.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'm now on a roll of 8 Hall of fame games that sell at least 8 millions each.

Churning out sequels now like Activision.

Online Sim Romance -> 4 sequels all 8+million
Action RPG Ninja -> 5 sequels all 8+million
Motion golf -> 3 sequels all 6+million

Online RPG Fantasy "Wow" :lol -> 4 sequels all +9million -> Highest selling with 13,6 million :lol

I wish there was a game like this for PC but higher on scope with more deep than just 4 stats and professions that do nothing (I got a coder make the music and a sound engineer pitch the game, it makes no sense as they got quite high)

thetrin

God dammit, why is this game so addictive?!

Top Bottom