• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Developer magazine joins the next-gen hate train (Wii > *.*, Blu-ray sucks, etc)

Wallach

JudgeN said:
After posting that, I thought everyone was talking about the "HD stigma" and you are right not every game needs to be epic but I love my "Epic games". But now that I think about it during the PS2 era there were just as many epic games are there are now, of course I didn't pay any attention to sales then so many they didn't cost as much as I would imagine.

There were indeed. However, the cost of such games has been steadily rising, not just on the design end but the development end to get them on the platform at all. They've just been going further and further up since the 32-bit era. At this point they're starting to lose traction because of how hard it can be to even get over the development hump at all (see: UE3 and surrounding drama).

sonicmj1 said:
I was hoping the Wii would be that environment. I don't like Nintendo's direction as a developer, at least as of late, but I hoped that the environment they created would be a good one for hardcore game development because of lower costs. While a few titles from smaller developers are coming on the platform, that largely hasn't been the case.

I think that next-generation, though, such a platform might be more viable. I'm almost certain that Sony and Microsoft will try to keep hardware advancement much more in line with costs this time around.

When iTunes first came out, most people used it download Britney Spears songs and other pop culture fluff. But eventually, the massive user base, combined with lowered distribution costs and a long tail sales model allowed for indy bands to begin to make their mark. They'll never be as big as Britney Spears, but because of the above stated reasons, they don't have to be.

The Wii is currently at the earliest stages of its growth and Wii Ware has just launched. Small hardcore developers like High Voltage and Renegade Kid or only just starting to work on products for the system. Whether or not Nintendo does anything to assist these small developers, I think you will see them start to emerge in the next 2-4 years.

MrNyarlathotep said:
How this gens playing out;

Denial: - "Yeah, the Wii is a third pillar, wii60 / PSthwii ftw!"

Anger: - "Fucking casuals are killing real gaming"

Bargaining: - "Well as long as we get some of the big AAA titles, I don't really mind I guess"

Depression: - "If this gen belongs to the Wii I'm going to quit gaming. No, for reals."

Acceptance: - "Looks like graphics aren't the be all and end all of gaming after all. Huh."

OP articles at stage 5. Most of you posters are at 2.

Why do I feel like Gaf is going backwards? I thought most gafers were in the bargaining stage, but the posters who have rejected this article's basic premise are in flat out denial.

Tab0203

Threi said:
I didn't want to post in this thread (again), but there seems to be a recurring strawman being thrown out that is starting to annoy me.

The gap between a Wii and PS360 is not equivalent to the gap between the PS2 and...say...the Intellivison. It is not equivalent to the gap between the horse and the automobile. Roughly speaking it is only ONE generation power-wise. The same gap seen between consoles and PC's for YEARS. The extra horsepower (and this "FINALLY TRUE HD" - what are PC games? Chopped liver?) bullshit is not some fucking thing of the future.

The point of the article is that there is a line regarding the amount of tech people demand in their consoles. Of course it varies from person to person, but don't act like you don't have a "line" and that more and more and more and more has no negative repercussions?

Would all of you be willing to put down $1000+ for your consoles? Sony could have made the PS3 more expensive. They could have put in even more useless shit. Would you pay the premium for it? A $1000+ console could do so much more than a $500+ console right? You would be getting the TRUE next-gen experience right? If not, then see the point that people (which seems to be a majority) aren't willing to put down $300+ for their consoles. Just because a bunch of you have a purchasing "line" much higher than the mainstream public doesn't mean that the purchasing "line" doesn't exist.

It just bugs me to see so-called enthusiasts look down on the mainstream public when they aren't even on the top of the freaking food chain.

"$2000 PC LOL WHO THE HELL WOULD BUY THAT?! :lol"

Based on the stance you people take it should be YOU buying those $2000 PC's.

You people should be looking down on PS360 games for being inferior to the almighty Crysis.

You should be trolling the PS360's limited ability to produce proper graphics, physics, and multitasking abilities.

But nooo, dissing the people on the rung below you while ignoring people on the rung above you is perfectly acceptable.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sonicmj1 said:
People were saying the exact same thing before the Wii launched. While I understand intellectually what the difference is, I can't imagine it'll have the impact you say it will.

Besides, this article has nothing to do with the new interface championed by the Wii.
The difference in precision will be important enough to gain respectability from gamers. If they like the new controls, I imagine they will then be more tolerant with SD graphics. The article is about tolerance towards lower end graphics, and improved controls should be enough to enhance our tolerance rate.

marc^o^ said:
The difference in precision will be important enough to gain respectability from gamers. If they like the new controls, I imagine they will then be more tolerant with SD graphics. The article is about tolerance towards lower end graphics, and improved controls should be enough to enhance our tolerance rate.

This will be true for a lot of core and hardcore gamers. But judging by this thread, most gafers seem to be more angry about their own priorities being displaced than any new values being introduced. Having improved motion controls further invalidate the need for high-end graphics will only rub more salt in the wound. Expect more and greater meltdowns.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
kame-sennin said:
Why do I feel like Gaf is going backwards? I thought most gafers were in the bargaining stage, but the posters who have rejected this article's basic premise are in flat out denial.

Thinking about it, I think this backwards movement is mainly linked to Nintendo's E3 2008 conference. I can't really blame everyone that has had a meltdown because of it, since even I was a bit taken aback by the conference. With the benefit of hindsight though, I'm not really worried any more.

Deku

Banned
I own a 360 and I USUALLY don't care for the hijinks of the GAFFers who make it their mission to make every current-gen gaming thread into a holy war between HD and SD/Wii

If we had $1,000 PS3s and $600 launch x360s and $80 games and a thriving HD market, then it would be a clear dileniation of the market supporting premium price content and products.

What I think needs to be mentioned and make clear in threads like this is when I see this class of welfare gamers, who did not pay the TRUE cost of what they are enjoying now, making all sorts of claims about this or that is the future of gaming that they are about as detached from games as granny smith in the retirement home playing Wii sports.

Eh. I own a PS3 and Wii, and so far, I haven't been impressed with this generation, besides Mario Galaxy. Honestly, I would've been happy with a PS2.5, without HD graphics. Just improve the framerate so all games run at 60fps and have the console's graphics improved enough to see a difference.

J-Rzez

What a garbage editorial.

Anyways, as long as the Wii has no effect on the industry norm that I've loved since the Atari 2600 for me, which was looking forward to the next leap in console power to create bigger, better, and more beautiful games, I don't care. The more people that get into gaming the better, hell they may step up and become hardcore gamers and shift interests to the perceived hardcore machines. The day MS and Sony stoops to Ninty's practices is the day I become 100% PC exclusive though.

JudgeN

kame-sennin said:
This will be true for a lot of core and hardcore gamers. But judging by this thread, most gafers seem to be more angry about their own priorities being displaced than any new values being introduced. Having improved motion controls further invalidate the need for high-end graphics will only rub more salt in the wound. Expect more and greater meltdowns.

It may rub salt in some wounds but maybe some people just don't agree that motion = fun.

Threi said:
I didn't want to post in this thread (again), but there seems to be a recurring strawman being thrown out that is starting to annoy me.

The gap between a Wii and PS360 is not equivalent to the gap between the PS2 and...say...the Intellivison. It is not equivalent to the gap between the horse and the automobile. Roughly speaking it is only ONE generation power-wise. The same gap seen between consoles and PC's for YEARS. The extra horsepower (and this "FINALLY TRUE HD" - what are PC games? Chopped liver?) bullshit is not some fucking thing of the future.

The point of the article is that there is a line regarding the amount of tech people demand in their consoles. Of course it varies from person to person, but don't act like you don't have a "line" and that more and more and more and more has no negative repercussions?

Would all of you be willing to put down $1000+ for your consoles? Sony could have made the PS3 more expensive. They could have put in even more useless shit. Would you pay the premium for it? A $1000+ console could do so much more than a $500+ console right? You would be getting the TRUE next-gen experience right? If not, then see the point that people (which seems to be a majority) aren't willing to put down $300+ for their consoles. Just because a bunch of you have a purchasing "line" much higher than the mainstream public doesn't mean that the purchasing "line" doesn't exist.

It just bugs me to see so-called enthusiasts look down on the mainstream public when they aren't even on the top of the freaking food chain.

"$2000 PC LOL WHO THE HELL WOULD BUY THAT?! "

Based on the stance you people take it should be YOU buying those $2000 PC's.

You people should be looking down on PS360 games for being inferior to the almighty Crysis.

You should be trolling the PS360's limited ability to produce proper graphics, physics, and multitasking abilities.

But nooo, dissing the people on the rung below you while ignoring people on the rung above you is perfectly acceptable.

Holy crap. Threi, you rule.

Kilrogg said:
Thinking about it, I think this backwards movement is mainly linked to Nintendo's E3 2008 conference. I can't really blame everyone that has had a meltdown because of it, since even I was a bit taken aback by the conference. With the benefit of hindsight though, I'm not really worried any more.

It might also have to do with there being more than one thing that people are getting upset about. We generally look at these NPD/E3 meltdowns as being a result of the Wii vs. HD console battle. But when you think about it, there are multiple inter-related concepts that people have had to, and will have to, process individually (in the best chronological order I can manage):

Sony did not crush Nintendo in the handheld space.
A technologically inferior handheld somehow beat a superior one.
Nintendo and the Wii will actually be successful.
The PS3 will not match the success of the PS2.
HD is not a major draw for most consumers.
The HD business model may not be sustainable for the games industry.
Blu-ray did not skyrocket after the death of HD-DVD.
Third parties are finding success on Nintendo platforms.

Future meltdowns could center around these ideas:

Blu-ray may not be a major draw for most consumers.
Third parties are finding major success on Nintendo platforms in NA.
Price point may not be holding back the success of the PS3 and 360.

Haunted

kame-sennin said:
Some are further along than others.

Kapsama

EA and THQ are the usual suspects? Everyone is seeing slowing slowing profits. 3rd parties are making less money now than they were before, R&D be damned. You can pretend it doesn't exist or say Sony and MS schew the numbers, but at the very least the industry is in stagnation, and many of those that are growing are those that haven't tethered their sail to HD gaming.

Read. EA was already stumbling before this gen even started. They're refocusing their entire business model from licensed dreck to originial IPs.

And THQ specializes on licensed games and they release way more stuff on the weak consoles (wii & ps2) and handhelds (ds & psp) than on HD consoles, yet they're still in trouble.

Clearly neither of them help your "HD is hurting the industry" argument.
And again, why are people picking some of the biggest wii supporting 3rd parties to argue against the wii. Namco would be a better pick, Midway, Atari,Codemasters. Companies that actively avoided the wii.
Namco: Profit
Codemasters: Profit
Midway: Gave a more good games promise last gen - failed
Atari: Got in trouble last gen

Again none of these are helping your argument.

Instead you pick companies that have put quality software on every platform and succeeded. What the hell are you arguing?
I'm attempting to disprove the "HD is hurting the industry" claims people make.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
JudgeN said:
It may rub salt in some wounds but maybe some people just don't agree that motion = fun.
Just like the majority of the market does not agree that HD graphics = fun? It goes both ways. It's just that you guys are heavily outnumbered and you don't realize it. You guys were outnumbered last generation too.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
kame-sennin said:
It might also have to do with there being more than one thing that people are getting upset about. We generally look at these NPD/E3 meltdowns as being a result of the Wii vs. HD console battle. But when you think about it, there are multiple inter-related concepts that people have had to, and will have to, process individually (in the best chronological order I can manage):

Sony did not crush Nintendo in the handheld space.
A technologically inferior handheld somehow beat a superior one.
Nintendo and the Wii will actually be successful.
The PS3 will not match the success of the PS2.
HD is not a major draw for most consumers.
The HD business model may not be sustainable for the games industry.
Blu-ray did not skyrocket after the death of HD-DVD.
Third parties are finding success on Nintendo platforms.

Future meltdowns could center around these ideas:

Blu-ray may not be a major draw for most consumers.
Third parties are finding major success on Nintendo platforms in NA.
Price point may not be holding back the success of the PS3 and 360.

Fair enough. I agree with you then. However, what do you mean by "Price point may not be holding back the success of the PS3 and 360" ? Do you mean "even with price-cuts, their sales may not skyrocket, or even increase significantly" ? I think that's what you mean, but I find that statement a bit vague and ambiguous. Could you elaborate on that please?

J-Rzez said:
What a garbage editorial.

Anyways, as long as the Wii has no effect on the industry norm that I've loved since the Atari 2600 for me, which was looking forward to the next leap in console power to create bigger, better, and more beautiful games, I don't care. The more people that get into gaming the better, hell they may step up and become hardcore gamers and shift interests to the perceived hardcore machines. The day MS and Sony stoops to Ninty's practices is the day I become 100% PC exclusive though.

Then you're in for a ginormous meltdown. I'm not saying that to anger you though, it's just that... You'd better be prepared. If it's not this generation, it will be the next. And whatever Sony and MS do this gen and the next, chances are they will fail. Not because Nintendo is a god or something, but because the whole point of disruption and blue ocean strategy is to change the norm, change the values, and make the competition irrelevant. When the competitors notice that they're being disrupted, it's already too late, and they're left with two choices: co-opt the disruptor's strategy, or flee upmarket. One is extremely unlikely to succeed, unless the disruptor lets their guard down (which hasn't happened yet), and the other leads you to a niche market at best, or, most likely, to failure. At worst, you go bankrupt, though I wouldn't go that far about Sony, and especially Microsoft.

I'll go into detail IF you want me too, it's just that I don't want to make this post too long.

Kunan

Kilrogg said:
Hindsight is the #1 loss of this generation. Most people talk and react like everything before these consoles came out never happened. Except for the occasional Skies of Arcadia explosion.

dacuk

Topher said:
I guess between the Wii and PS3 setting on my table one of them must be a figment of my imagination, because clearly a person can't enjoy both. That would be outrageous.

:lol

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kunan said:
Hindsight is the #1 loss of this generation. Most people talk and react like everything before these consoles came out never happened. Except for the occasional Skies of Arcadia explosion.

The other "loss" (though I dont think many had it last-gen in the first place... And I actually included myself in the group of "the blind" at that time, though that's partly because I had almost stopped playing videogames) is forward thinking. Many of us are so caught up in the present, what they get, what they want to get RIGHT NOW that they're completely oblivious to the changes in the industry. As a consequence, they'll often ignore the big picture.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Kapsama said:
I'm attempting to disprove the "HD is hurting the industry" claims people make.
You are failing miserably. Why don't you do some actual research instead of pulling excuses out of nowhere. Compare how this generation is doing in comparison to last generation at the same time periods. The market should be growing at a certain percentage year over year and so should market profit margins. Revenue is increasing but unless profit margins increase along with it then it means nothing. Companies like Capcom and EA THEMSELVES stated that they made a mistake by not heavily supporting the Wii and this is why they are increasing development on that platform significantly. EA who use to be the 3rd party market leader for the entirety of last generation had it's first year in a long time where they lost money and you don't find that a tad discouraging? Almost half of 3rd parties most of them western are spending way more than their returns and you don't see that as a problem? EA was in the negative in the first quarter of the current fiscal year and did you see what games they released and how many for each platform? Do some actual market research instead of making baseless conjecture.

I'm not sure whether the market is contracting or expanding for sure either way but evidence I am seeing points to the former and I would like to see some actual charts and comparisons from fiscal years 2002-2003 up till now so we can find out what exactly is going on here. Yearly operating costs and R&D spending for 3rd parties would help paint a clearer picture as well.

J-Rzez

Kilrogg said:
Then you're in for a ginormous meltdown. I'm not saying that to anger you though, it's just that... You'd better be prepared. If it's not this generation, it will be the next. And whatever Sony and MS do this gen and the next, chances are they will fail.

How are they going to fail? What is your definition of fail? Because if you're like many of the Ninty lovers, it's about sales. If you consider Ferrari a failure because they don't sell as many F430's as econo-box Chevy Cobalts, then more power to you. As long as Sony and MS profit in the end, they'll more than likely continue their path. Sony at the least will, as they're always pushing tech in all of their products. MS is usually about pushing forward, but they're known to emulate others at times too, so they're a little shaky. I'm not saying Sony won't ship a motion controller with the PS4, it's very possible as they have in the past released alternative input devices, just they'll push the tech again as well. Perhaps without the Blu-Ray debacle, they'll increase the horsepower while keeping costs a little more user friendly. I highly doubt they'll just make an optimized performing PS3, shrink the case, and throw in a fancy controller and call it next gen while overcharging like Ninty did.

And before people start saying what about people boasting PS2 numbers then, they could. Why? Simple, that console had perhaps the most killer gaming library ever in a console. Within 2 years of it's launch it was getting decent number of killer titles. The Wii on the other hand has had a gaming library nearly equivilant to the Atari Jaguar so far: One or two "AAA" titles, rest are sub par-generic quality titles with hopes and promises of better games on the horizon that don't seem like they're coming anytime soon, if at all. Ninty's first parties are out in left field doing who knows what, and third parties haven't been flooding the market with their AAA teams works either. The PS2 was at least "competitive" in the tech department as well, and not at a crippling situation like the Wii is now.

JudgeN

Shaheed79 said:
Just like the majority of the market does not agree that HD graphics = fun? It goes both ways. It's just that you guys are heavily outnumbered and you don't realize it. You guys were outnumbered last generation too.

Shit, I don't know anyone who said HD graphics = fun because the PS3/360 are more then just HD graphics. And yes people realize it, but why do we gotta be treated like fucking lepers because of it? We need to stand up and make a union, yea thats it. It will be called GWAM, graphic whores against motion.

saunderez

kame-sennin said:
It might also have to do with there being more than one thing that people are getting upset about.

There's also a lot of generalisation going on and that is what I see is the issue. Not all supporters of HD want the Wii to fail. In fact I'd say most HD supporters really don't mind that the Wii is succeeding. What they do care and worry about is the future of their passtime. It's very akin to the PC gamers argument about games being "dumbed down" for consoles. I suppose you could say that a lot of HD supportors don't want their games "dumbed down" for Wii.

That's what it is for me personally. I've got a Wii and I've enjoyed what experiences I've had with it, but those experiences have been few and far between compared to the 360 (for the record I've also got a PS3 for exclusives only). I'm not against motion control, I'm not against a new motion controller for the 360 or motion controllers becoming standardised in the next generation. But I do want HD visuals, I do want 5.1 surround sound and I don't think it's too much to expect. I don't think we should have to take a step back technologically in order to realise the benefits of a new control scheme like we have with the Wii.

Jokeropia

J-Rzez said:
As long as Sony and MS profit in the end, they'll more than likely continue their path. Sony at the least will
Do you really think Sony will profit with PS3 despite it having lost more money than the PS2 gained during it's entire life?
J-Rzez said:
And before people start saying what about people boasting PS2 numbers then, they could. Why? Simple, that console had perhaps the most killer gaming library ever in a console. Within 2 years of it's launch it was getting decent number of killer titles. The Wii on the other hand has had a gaming library nearly equivilant to the Atari Jaguar so far: One or two "AAA" titles, rest are sub par-generic quality titles with hopes and promises of better games on the horizon that don't seem like they're coming anytime soon, if at all. Ninty's first parties are out in left field doing who knows what, and third parties haven't been flooding the market with their AAA teams works either. The PS2 was at least "competitive" in the tech department as well, and not at a crippling situation like the Wii is now.
Please realize that your (fanboyish) opinions mean nothing in this argument.

J-Rzez said:
How are they going to fail? What is your definition of fail? Because if you're like many of the Ninty lovers, it's about sales. If you consider Ferrari a failure because they don't sell as many F430's as econo-box Chevy Cobalts, then more power to you. As long as Sony and MS profit in the end, they'll more than likely continue their path. Sony at the least will, as they're always pushing tech in all of their products. MS is usually about pushing forward, but they're known to emulate others at times too, so they're a little shaky. I'm not saying Sony won't ship a motion controller with the PS4, it's very possible as they have in the past released alternative input devices, just they'll push the tech again as well. Perhaps without the Blu-Ray debacle, they'll increase the horsepower while keeping costs a little more user friendly. I highly doubt they'll just make an optimized performing PS3, shrink the case, and throw in a fancy controller and call it next gen while overcharging like Ninty did.

It is posts like these that make me realize why Malstrom has so much fun trolling the internet at large.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MisterHero said:
Because it has 99% BC. and Super Mario Galaxy :D
Yes, curse you capcom and making the Megaman X collection not support 480p, keeping the Wii from having 100% BC D:

dacuk

Farnack said:
And you're two gens behind. :lol

If the Wii was good enough, why are all the third parties doing pretty badly on it?
The average consumer (nongamers) don't mind the graphics of the Wii because they don't know jack. They are non-thinking consumers. Those consumers goto best buy asking if the latest HDTV has antennas.

Visual and audio fidelity is a good thing for games and movies.

MGS4 on the PS2 would have done worst than MGS3. The PS2 was at peak performance and a lot of Kojima's ideas could not be put into reality with the PS2.

Tell that to Ubisoft.

And, if you complain about "average customers", those are STILL the majority. Until HD consoles get to the <$250 point, they will be still part of a niche market (so-called Hardcore gamers), not the de facto standard.

Kapsama said:
I don't give a flying F what this guy, the average consumer or Wii owners think. I want Bluray on my 1080p set, I want next gen graphics and I want videogames to stop catering to the lowest common denominator.

The situation here is that you are part of the minority, and companies like to sell to the masses, to get, OMG!, PROFITS!

Gaming for the other segment of the market will not destroy your precious, way-too-expensive kingdom of HDland.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
JudgeN said:
Shit, I don't know anyone who said HD graphics = fun because the PS3/360 are more then just HD graphics. And yes people realize it, but why do we gotta be treated like fucking lepers because of it? We need to stand up and make a union, yea thats it. It will be called GWAM, graphic whores against motion.
Now you're just imagining things. You think you are being treated like lepers? Game publishers especially western 3rd party publishers are still concentrating their quality efforts towards the HD consoles instead of Wii even though some are paying for it financially. Whether or not it remains this way through the entire generation is yet to be seen. I will tell you this however. We are not seeing anywhere near the level of variety that the PS2 had and to a lesser extent Xbox on the PS3 and 360. Variety these days is considered to be Shooters, Sandbox, RPG's, Driving and Sports games. Cheaper development costs and a large user base helps to propagate variety a lot more than people are willing to acknowledge.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
daCuk said:
Tell that to Ubisoft.

And, if you complain about "average customers", those are STILL the majority. Until HD consoles get to the <$250 point, they will be still part of a niche market (so-called Hardcore gamers), not the de facto standard.
Don't even reply to him. He has no idea what he's talking about. Third parties are doing great on the Wii especially in Europe and Worldwide. He's still using a mass generalization from over a year ago.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
J-Rzez said:

First, I hate calling Nintendo by such moniker. Big N, Ninty... Nintendo's not anyone's buddy. Not against you, I just had to voice that. Ninty sounds silly anyway.

My answer was mainly a reaction to your "as long as the Wii has no effect on the industry norm", because it certainly will. As far as this particular assumption goes, I can assure you you're in for a big disappointment. For now, it is only the beginning, that much is clear, but unless Nintendo makes a huge mistake and Sony or Microsoft can capitalize on it in an incredibly ingenious fashion, Nintendo will continue turning the industry on its head and make current values more and more irrelevant. So yeah, they will change the norms.

Now, to be more specific. The problem with your argument is that you're ignoring Microsoft and Sony's losses. Sure, Ferrari seems to do well enough (although I'm no specialist on the matter, what about you?), but Microsoft and Sony don't. They still take huge losses. Sony is the company that is suffering the most right now despite the sales of the PS2 and PSP. Microsoft had huge losses to begin with and, although they had made money a few months ago, they're once again in the red lately, as recent numbers have shown (ask Opiate if you want more details about that).

Sure, their sales won't just go to 0 overnight. That said... I don't get it: do you expect them to miraculously grow with their future next-gen consoles if they do the whole "better graphics" approach once again, even with motion controller? Conversely, do you expect Nintendo to have no support at all as their userbase grows and grows, breaking sales records? Saying that the Wii has a library equivalent to that of the Atari Jaguar is laughable. I mean, I know what hyperbole is, but even that can't be excused by stylistic devices. It's just too much. Either you're completely blind, or you're spreading FUD.

Before I post once more, I'd like you to tell me if you're interested in hearing my elaborating on the contents of my previous post, not just ask me what my definition of failure is. Because I can't tell you why I used that word unless I explain this from a business angle. And I said business angle, not simply sales. Sales are just data. They mean nothing unless you study their underlying causes, i.e. the strategies and business models at stake.

Banned
saunderez said:
There's also a lot of generalisation going on and that is what I see is the issue. Not all supporters of HD want the Wii to fail. In fact I'd say most HD supporters really don't mind that the Wii is succeeding. What they do care and worry about is the future of their passtime. It's very akin to the PC gamers argument about games being "dumbed down" for consoles. I suppose you could say that a lot of HD supportors don't want their games "dumbed down" for Wii.

That's what it is for me personally. I've got a Wii and I've enjoyed what experiences I've had with it, but those experiences have been few and far between compared to the 360 (for the record I've also got a PS3 for exclusives only). I'm not against motion control, I'm not against a new motion controller for the 360 or motion controllers becoming standardised in the next generation. But I do want HD visuals, I do want 5.1 surround sound and I don't think it's too much to expect. I don't think we should have to take a step back technologically in order to realise the benefits of a new control scheme like we have with the Wii.
Except this hasn't happened at all. Atleast PC gamers can point at games and say "things have changed." Right now it's all in your head.

dacuk

7Th said:
People that actually want “this industry to movie forward” shouldn’t be arguing about consoles when PC gaming has been making advances in experience, depth and presentation for a long time by now. Besides, and correct me if I’m wrong, don’t simple online puzzle games hold a bigger user base than anything Wii?

The problem with your argument is that PC gaming is way to limited to the same old genres (FPS, RTS, Simulations and MMORPG in the most part) that PC Gaming is an exclusive environment, not inclusive. If you are not a PC gamer, the learning curve in controls (KB+mouse), technical knowledge (driver configuration, OS knowledge) and price for a decent rig makes this a really hard rock to climb. Wii, on the other side....

dacuk

Kapsama said:
Oh I didn't know that licensing the UT3 engine cost $20 million dollars. Mark Rein is a real cut throat.

Yes let's attack the credibility of people who don't help our arguments.

Let's say his really big mouth doesn't help him to maintain his credibility

saunderez

Except this hasn't happened at all. Atleast PC gamers can point at games and say "things have changed." Right now it's all in your head.

Is it? I still haven't seen any evidence otherwise. There is a still distinct lack of "deeper" experiences on the Wii. Sure it's due to most developers trying to cash in on the casual audience (Ubisoft I'm looking at you) but it's ignorant to think there isn't a difference between the Wii and 360/PS3 games libraries.

Deku

Banned
daCuk said:
The problem with your argument is that PC gaming is way to limited to the same old genres (FPS, RTS, Simulations and MMORPG in the most part) that PC Gaming is an exclusive environment, not inclusive. If you are not a PC gamer, the learning curve in controls (KB+mouse), technical knowledge (driver configuration, OS knowledge) and price for a decent rig makes this a really hard rock to climb. Wii, on the other side....

and the new generation of HD console gaming aren't? jesus, this generation is like the most PCfied narrowed genre in the 20 years I've been gaming. At least late atari early FC era had the excuse of extreme technological limitaitons.

We have powerful consoles that do nothing buy run the same FPS, 'matour' software and gritty anti-hero stories. I'd prefer the simulations and RTS games that PC has to offer at this point. Heck, why there's no good 'adventure' games with all that graphical power on HD is beyond belief.

Kilrogg said:
Fair enough. I agree with you then. However, what do you mean by "Price point may not be holding back the success of the PS3 and 360" ? Do you mean "even with price-cuts, their sales may not skyrocket, or even increase significantly" ? I think that's what you mean, but I find that statement a bit vague and ambiguous. Could you elaborate on that please?

Yea, you got it. I was just trying to say what you just wrote in the least inflammatory way possible. I don't believe in the "pent up demand" theory regarding the 360 and the PS3. I think even when they hit the $200 mass market price point, they will not succeed in lighting the market on fire - at least not after the initial 1-3 month spike.

Starchasing said:
I havent entered the thread but i think a small meltdown is in progress on the ot forum regarding that:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329781

I haven't posted there either, but skimming it is what reminded me how wide spread this industry change is (and how it's not all related to Nintendo).

beef3483

The bottomline is this: If a Wii game can win game of the year over a PS3 or 360 game, then it's capabilities are perfectly fine. If you think that this is possible then you really can't argue against Nintendos decision for reduced hardware power.

Banned
beef3483 said:
The bottomline is this: If a Wii game can win game of the year over a PS3 or 360 game, then it's capabilities are perfectly fine. If you think that this is possible then you really can't argue against Nintendos decision for reduced hardware power.
people were using that argument against galaxy, so nothing has really changed

FightyF

Banned
farnham said:
nintendo_wii_sports.jpg

:lol Nice.

Saint Gregory said:
Um, the PS2 was already wiping the floor with the Xbox and GC
and Dreamcast :,(
before it's first price drop. It was impossible to find anywhere until about a month a half after it's launch holiday season was over and was the market leader from start to finish. That price drop it took to $199 was pretty much akin to kicking sand in MS and Nintendo's faces and had little to do with it selling like hotcakes.

How does this disprove the fact that it sold like hotcakes after the price drop? Sales almost doubled after the drop.

If this gen has thought me anything it's that if people really want something they'll pay whatever the price to get it. The PS3 and 360 will certainly sell better when they cost less but I wish people would stop pointing to their price points as the reason that they're lagging behind the Wii (or vice-versa).

The PS3 and 360 have yet to hit the price of the PS2 at launch. The price is one of the biggest factors thus far, for their slow adoption, and the great sales of the Wii.

Mr. Sheffield, I've stopped getting GD mag as I had issues renewing it (there was a problem with the site and the code I put in), so I can't read it. But I don't think those exerpts are taking you out of context. It's just the whole reasoning behind it is flawed. It's akin to claiming that new PC hardware shouldn't come out because the masses just want to surf the net and play MP3s. Your ignoring the fact that these consoles will have a very long term life cycle, and when they hit price points like $199, that they'll sell just as well as any previous successful console.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
soul creator said:
one console future? anyone bring it up yet?

hehe
To many factors for it to happen. Its a 3 console past, present, and future. The moment a new comer comes, and old comer usually kicks the bucket. While the numbers may not always line up (Like in the the SNES era, there was 4 companies making system, but the Neogeo never caught on at all, or in the N64 days, only Sony, Sega, and Nintendo were really in the race, everyone else just flopped.), its more or less the rule of thumb for the console industry. Only room for 3 players. After that, the market is over whelmed, and the other systems tend to just fall flat.

Mooreberg

If MGS4 had been released on the PS2, how many copies would it have sold? Certainly not less, and quite possible more.

Yikes. :lol

Would anyone have complained if GTA IV had been released on the PS2 or a machine with similar graphic fidelity?

Yes. :lol

This is awkward logic. The question is if PS3 or 360 game that won game of the year could have been as good on PS2 and Xbox. God of War won GOTY 2005 from AIAS, that doesn't mean PC games released in 2005 would have been better on PS2.

FightyF said:
How does this disprove the fact that it sold like hotcakes after the price drop? Sales almost doubled after the drop.

I don't want to post the numbers out of fear of violating GAFs agreement with the NPD but if you look at the data the PS2 was selling very consistantly the entire year during 2002 except for a 200,000 unit drop the month before the drop (most likely due to people holding off because of the rumors) followed by a 200,000 unit more than usual spike the month after the drop. It couldn't possibly have been more consistant in it's level of demand before and after the drop.

The PS3 and 360 have yet to hit the price of the PS2 at launch. The price is one of the biggest factors thus far, for their slow adoption, and the great sales of the Wii.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that despite the fact that everything we know about business tells us that people's perceptions of value always override their apprehension about price. That's why the iPhone, despite it's initial $600 price tag (hmm, where have I seen that figure before) was a huge success and the $199 Gamecube was by most accounts a flop.

People are always throwing around analogies comparing today's VG market to luxury cars and such but people would buy ferraris in droves if they felt that the Ferraris costs were justified by their value. The HD twins, in the end, will see the same sales spike that all consoles see after a price drop then fall back to their natural level of demand.

threi ended this thread 2 pages ago. why are people still talking. things like Drwarves castle is doing more complex interactions between any amount of people within in GTAIV and MGS4, and game is displayed through colored letters.

How this gens playing out;

Denial: - "Yeah, the Wii is a third pillar, wii60 / PSthwii ftw!"

Anger: - "Fucking casuals are killing real gaming"

Bargaining: - "Well as long as we get some of the big AAA titles, I don't really mind I guess"

Depression: - "If this gen belongs to the Wii I'm going to quit gaming. No, for reals."

Acceptance: - "Looks like graphics aren't the be all and end all of gaming after all. Huh."

let's fix this

denial: who needs graphics? omg WAGGLE IS MORE IMMERSIVE, LET'S COME UP WITH WACKY IDEAS NOT ACTUALLY SUPPORTED BY CONTROLLER IMPLEMENTATION AH HOO HAW NINTENDO BLUE OCEAN MY GRAMMA WANTS TO PLAY WII WAGGLE FUNTIME WITH ME THIRD PILLAR

anger: fuck, this first-gen of wii games really sucks. so does this second-gen. stupid third parties! why can't you do more with this shitty hardware and underdeveloped lateral controller implementation?!?!?!?! LAZY LAZY LAZY!

bargaining: ehhh, maybe i'll get a ps3 LOL M$ AMIRITE whoa hey a third tier dev is making an fps with graphics that might have passed muster in 1999! THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH THANKS FOR TRYING

depression: i never really liked gaming after the playstation took over in '97 anyhow, big ol' sigh, gaming ain't right without proper mario/zelda. miyamoto-sama you have forsaken meeeee

acceptance: I FINALLY BOUGHT A GAMING PC! DRINKY YOU WERE RIGHT, GIRL LET ME TOUCH U

Weisheit

FightyF said:
This gen is gonna be really long for folks like you.

Top Bottom