• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Doom On Stadia's Input Lag Is Noticeable But Not Ruinous

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
No thanks
tumblr_phj06beLBq1ul4jcy_540.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So lag is noticeable and I don't own my games and must be connected online at all times just to play?

who on earth is this thing even for anyway?

Honestly, I think there's a market for it. People love convenience, even at the cost of quality. Streaming music has supplanted CDs and downloadable formats, despite being lower quality. Same with video streaming vs. blu-ray. Games are trickier, since input lag can kill the experience in a hurry, but in a market that allowed mobile gaming to grow into what it is today, does the average consumer really care how good of an experience something is? The immediacy of "I want to play a game, and oh! there it is" is probably more compelling for a lot of people than the game actually playing to a high standard.

SonGoku

The thing is, after a few minutes of playing, I was still conscious of the difference, but it felt like it mattered less. It was like controlling that big gun in some shooters with the swimmy reticle that dragged behind the input. I knew what was happening and eventually my brain and my hands compensated for that difference. Was it ideal? Definitely not. Was it a way to play Doom in a stream without a console or expensive GPU? Approximately. And that will probably be enough for a lot of people.

In the battle between the perfect vs. the good, Stadia's input lag is definitely not perfect, but it seems like it can be good.
Why are journos so afraid to call it like it is? For fucks sake call a spade a spade, a polished turd still a turd.
Why do journalists have such poor work ethic? is the swag they receive from companies really worth it?

Feels like im asking origin of the universe questions here.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
So a service that is supposed to release this year has no pricing, nothing to show for its first-party, obvious issues with input lag, was mostly treated as an afterthought at a recent Google event, and as far as I know we have no idea when they'll talk about it next. And I'm sorry but Jade Raymond is one of the most overhyped names in the industry who has spent the last 5 years accomplishing nothing more than changing jobs and overseeing disasters. The fact that she got an award for being "a producer of games considered a turning point in the industry" is laughable when you look at the list. For a 20 year career with most spent as a producer, it's rather short and bland. When they trotted her out as the head of their first-party I rolled my eyes so hard they could have popped out.

Agent X

So lag is noticeable and I don't own my games and must be connected online at all times just to play?

who on earth is this thing even for anyway?

The immediacy of "I want to play a game, and oh! there it is" is probably more compelling for a lot of people than the game actually playing to a high standard.

I feel there are certain genres of games which are better suited to streaming. I say this as someone with experience with PlayStation Now for over 3 years, and with OnLive several years before that.

Anything that is not dependent on immediate inputs and fast reactions should work well. I've enjoyed several adventure games like Syberia, Broken Age, and The Wolf Among Us. Turn-based strategy and role-playing games are also a great fit.

Fast-paced games that demand quick reflexes and hair-trigger reactions are the ones that suffer the most. Shoot 'em up games and fighting games are examples of genres that would be impacted by the pitfalls of streaming technology.

Streaming game platforms would be great avenues for developers like Telltale Games and Quantic Dream to strut their stuff. Yes, I'm aware Telltale Games has disbanded, but a new developer could easily fill the void for episodic adventure gaming. You might recall that Telltale was supposedly collaborating with Netflix on games that could be delivered through the Netflix streaming service. Don't be surprised it you start seeing streaming video providers dishing out "interactive movies" that you can play with your remote control.

Top Bottom