• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Evolve (TurtleRock(L4D)/2K, PC/PS4/XB1, CryEn, 4v1 PvP) [Screenshot]

Bor

Neo Member
It would be sweet if it played like the hunter becoming the hunted, so at first the alien is weak and has to take care that the humans dont overpower it, but as the level progresses and with every lost engagement, the alien gains strength, so that by the end of the level the human players have to really watch out and just try to get to the end without beeing ripped to pieces by a huge evolved creature.
Give please

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
On the plus side, the character models and the fact your opponent is a huge ass alien monsters should guarantee gunplay is fast run-and-gun. World needs more legit good run-and-gun multiplayer games from new franchises.

Max Payne 3 Free Aim was super fast... It was better to not use ADS.

Shame GTA:Online killed the community.

ultron87

So no small monsters and stuff? How can the shooting be made fun then?

I wouldn't be shocked if at least some of the monsters have the ability to spawn autonomous things that can be shot. There need to be ways for them not to just get circle strafed to death by a competent team.

Instro

I'm confused about what people are reading, it says they had hands on time with the 4v1 mode, not that itis was the only mode.

Raide

So no small monsters and stuff? How can the shooting be made fun then?

Probably the survival aspect for the hunters. Could be some Day Z stuff going on while being hunted by an ever evolving monster controlled by a human.

Wait...this could either be the best game ever or the worst.

well:

MP centric
"hunted" aspect(Xv1)
basically AvP/NS with some tweaks

*shrug* looks pretty generic to me

I first thought it was going to be 4v4, with 4 players controlling various aspects of the monster, but it's just a standard Xv1 game.

Then you could write any game off as being generic since all of them at least pull some elements from other games. It's not like what they're doing is some concept that's been beaten into the ground. How many games have done 4v1 extremely well?

And I don't really get the multiplayer only complaints. Their history is extremely multiplayer based (Counter-Strike and L4D). Tacked on single player is just as bad as tacked on multiplayer. Just look at the horrible SP modes that DICE continually slaps into mainline BF games. Let them focus on what they're best at.

Because you can preorder a physical copy at Gamestop and you can guarantee that it will be $60. Just like Warhawk, Starhawk and all the other "AAA" single mode multiplayer clones out there. There's no way this would be a cover story if it wasn't a full price retail release.

People will pay. People will fucking pay.
What about Warhawk made it worth less than $60, though? It had lots of content and could be played for hundreds of hours. Who are you to decide what games are worth, anyway?

It's like this: games are made for many differing tastes. Not all of them will cater to yours. There are many single player games out there, likely far out numbering online only releases. If you don't like them, that's fine, but to claim that such titles somehow cheapen the industry is laughable.

Get in your time machine and travel back to 1999 so you can bitch about Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, too.

Those games were just popular singular experiences and not part of an entire trend where developers were making these types of games instead of the types of games people like me enjoy. A few of those games are OK, no big deal, but when most new games are these types of games, it gets very depressing. The development pot is finite and only so many well-made games can be made every year. I prefer they make more games that fit the criteria that I enjoy.

This seems like an awesome concept. L4D is a great series and so much fun when you get a good group of people together with mics. This will definitely be on my radar

tumblr_m4euxjBCQR1qi63mr.gif

Missed the boat on L4D so here's hoping this will be a good one to jump into. With this and Damned on the PC, hopefully there will be more of the player-controlled monster idea.

Milennia

I'm confused about what people are reading, it says they had hands on time with the 4v1 mode, not that itis was the only mode.

This is what it says right in the first paragraph of the gameinformer article.

The sci-fi multiplayer-focused shooter pits a four-player crew of alien hunters against a separate player-controlled monster that grows larger and more powerful over the course of matches

There can be other gameplay modes, such as CTF or something, but the way this is looking, at least for now until more info is released, is just as listed in terms of player count.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Max Payne 3 Free Aim was super fast... It was better to not use ADS.

Shame GTA:Online killed the community.

Would prefer something without the high weapon damage of Max Payne 3.

Kade

Those games were just popular singular experiences and not part of an entire trend where developers were making these types of games instead of the types of games people like me enjoy

Then hopefully you soon come to grips with the fact that not every game is catered to you. It's not a trend, these games have co-existed with every other type of game since the dawn of games.

What a selfish viewpoint.

charsace

I really don't get this site. People have doubts about a game coming from the guys that made the L4D games? I've seen gaf give 20+ pages of mostly positive replies in the same amount of time this thread has been going to devs that put out nothing but average shooters. My head is full of fuck right now.

Einbroch

Banned
The potential problem with the game is that both sides have to be equally fun. Everyone's going to want to play as the monster. If you queue up and a guy on your squad wants to play the monster, s/he'll leave.

Hindle

Banned
L4D is a series that needs to be played in order to understand how good it is, I'm assuming the same goes for Evolve. I'm hyped considering the studio, but the game seems very basic when compared to L4D.

They said someone was going to flip out at the reveal.

They were right.

Look how many of you are just whining "oh another MP game", "it's L4D with a different skin", etc.

It's an interesting concept, and since we know very little about it, we just have to wait and see. And maybe stop with the "not interested" crap. The title is clear enough, I guess.

I'm curious about the "evolution" thing. With a name like that, the single beast could be something really fun (in both scenarios).

Cryengine and next-gen only? Damn.

Corto

The asymmetry component of 4 versus 1 is surprising and makes me wonder what cool powers they will give to the alien player to balance the match. I want to learn more about this game that's for sure.

This is just one mode right ? This can't be the whole game ?

Charging 60$/€ for online only, with no SP and just 5 players is madness.

This will flop so badly...

charsace

The potential problem with the game is that both sides have to be equally fun. Everyone's going to want to play as the monster. If you queue up and a guy on your squad wants to play the monster, s/he'll leave.

I think these guys have an idea of what to do better than anyone else in the industry seeing as how they made L4D, doing this type of game better than anyone else has.

Wait...this could either be the best game ever or the worst.
It's my gripe with the concept. This sounds way too easy to fuck up, from stuff like getting boring after a while to just overall imbalance.

I'll still give it a fair chance, I just prefer to remain cynical and be surprised later.

Wizman23

Banned
Playing as the infected in L4D PVP mode was so awesome, and that rush when you were chosen as the Tank was even better. It's exciting to see they are building an entire game around that concept.

Sai-kun

Banned
*sigh*

I wanted something that was:

1. Singleplayer Only
2. Offline

That goes for both the Game informer reveal AND the original Left 4 Dead. As a single player only experience with a story and campaign it would have been awesome, but with multiplayer-forced it was just a big rush-fest. God, I hate multiplayer shooters. Enough already.

lmao if you rushed you're playing it wrong

also if you weren't playing versus you were playing it wrong

i believe in turtle rock. am hyped for this.

ultron87

This is just one mode right ? This can't be the whole game ?

Charging 60$/€ for online only, with no SP and just 5 players is madness.

This will flop so badly...

One fleshed out mode with tons of options and replayability sounds way better to me than slapping a bunch of half thought out modes or a crappy campaign onto whatever they want the game actually to be about.

With combinations of different monster abilities, different evolve paths, and different maps they should be able to put together some fairly unique experiences. It isn't just going to be 7 different Tank fights from L4D.

Instro

This is what it says right in the first paragraph of the gameinformer article.

There can be other gameplay modes, such as CTF or something, but the way this is looking, at least for now until more info is released, is just as listed in terms of player count.

Sorry I wasn't talking about the player count just that the story implies there are other modes.

Einbroch

Banned
I think these guys have an idea of what to do better than anyone else in the industry seeing as how they made L4D, doing this type of game better than anyone else has.
I thought that the gunplay in L4D was mediocre. That's not installing confidence in me. I never wanted to play a human character.

Top Bottom