• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

Love Mass Effect.

However, thats a disappointing cover, :/. Was hoping it'd be a full shot of the crew or something. Reaper stuff on the back is nice but boring male Shepard is boring.

Yasae

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
We're not off to a good start. We've got super angry shepard for the bros out there, and a total focus on Earth like the rest of the galaxy means jack shit.

Hoping for just a bad marketing campaign, but DA2 proved differently.
They'll pull an Alien 3 and talk about earth in the marketing, but then... No earth in the final game.

suuuuuuuuuuure

Kyoufu

Grisby said:
Love Mass Effect.

However, thats a disappointing cover, :/. Was hoping it'd be a full shot of the crew or something. Reaper stuff on the back is nice but boring male Shepard is boring.

There is no crew. Its just you.

Yasae said:
Welcome to Mass Effect 2. Please press [Mouse 1] to perform a renegade action and have Grunt blown out of the airlock.

Talking Vagina™: Ready when you are, commander.

Wait, you can airlock Grunt ?

Dilly said:
How does the focus on earth still come to a surprise to some?

It's not like the whole game is going to take place on earth.

The fear is that the plot will centralize on earth which would be terrible. It's already terrible in that the reapers are hitting that first and ignoring the rest of the galaxy, including the Citadel...the heart of the galaxy. It's terrible because it still doesn't explain how they got to Earth if you played the Arrival DLC.

Kyoufu

Ickman3400 said:
The fear is that the plot will centralize on earth which would be terrible. It's already terrible in that the reapers are hitting that first and ignoring the rest of the galaxy, including the Citadel...the heart of the galaxy. It's terrible because it still doesn't explain how they got to Earth if you played the Arrival DLC.

Actually Harbinger says Humans are the best species for their goals, so it makes sense to attack Earth.

Mindlog

Why isn't Sheppard doing air quotes? Why THE FUCK isn't Sheppard doing air quotes?

Biggest wasted opportunity for a cover ever.

reapers.png

Jarmel

Banned
Ickman3400 said:

It's pretty obvious why Earth is getting hit first. Shepard has pissed them off one too many times. In addition to humans being viable for Reaper production.

Anyway good God is that a gorgeous background. I want a high-rez version of that without the generic Shepard for my wallpaper.

Now where is the details about the game itself?

Ashodin

Ickman3400 said:
Once the Reapers control Earth they control fear, as the humans being on top of everything right now would crumble. Plus they get to make another Human Reaper on urth!!111111zz

Ickman3400 said:
We're not off to a good start. We've got super angry shepard for the bros out there, and a total focus on Earth like the rest of the galaxy means jack shit.

Hoping for just a bad marketing c ampaign, but DA2 proved differently.

LOL,Mass Effect 2 proved differently.

People were all, "this is just for marketing, ME hasn't changed".

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kyoufu said:
Actually Harbinger says Humans are the best species for their goals, so it makes sense to attack Earth.

No it doesnt. They have basically let everyone else have unrestricted access to the relay network for no reason, and kept the government intact, so they can attack one world.

This is what we call an idiot plot.

Yasae

Banned
HK-47 said:
No it doesnt. They have basically let everyone else have unrestricted access to the relay network for no reason, and kept the government intact, so they can attack one world.

You should probably stop nitpicking the idiot plot.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ickman3400 said:

I'm afraid that it might be true. And you really have no party, just squadmates like in Gears of War.

after DA2 I think Bioware can do everything.

Kyoufu

HK-47 said:

One world that has the biggest population of Humans in the galaxy. *shrug* makes sense to me.

Jarmel said:
It's pretty obvious why Earth is getting hit first. Shepard has pissed them off one too many times
Also since the Alpha Relay (lol) in the Bahak system blew up, our Solar System is the closest system with a mass relay in the milky way. Two birds with ones stone I guess.

Jarmel

Banned
Yasae said:
Monkey see, monkey do. There is no why.

Err no. They stated pretty obviously throughout ME2 why. Mordin on his loyalty mission states that humans are amazingly diverse in that one human could react to a situation in a completely different manner than another human unlike Asari or Krogans. Our generic diversity was unique in comparison to any other alien species.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Crewnh said:
Also since the Alpha Relay (lol) in the Bahak system blew up, our Solar System is the closest system with a mass relay in the milky way. Two birds with ones stone I guess.

The first game says no.

Jarmel said:
It's pretty obvious why Earth is getting hit first. Shepard has pissed them off one too many times. In addition to humans being viable for Reaper production.

That still doesn't explain why they go after one planet and leave the entire rest of the galaxy alone so shepard can rally them through recruitment missions and mission complete menus and stop them in an overly dramatic endgame sequence.

Earth doesn't mean shit in the overall scheme of the galaxy.

Marleyman said:
I guess they think that since we live on Earth we will have some sort of emotions as it is destroyed.

I think that's obvious, but I don't think it's right or palpable in the context of the game. I knew the Earth was in danger when I knew the universe was in danger. It kinda goes with the territory. And the story of ME so far has little to nothing to do with earth as far as I can remember. Pretty much if I'm getting the jist of it, you, the player, represented earth and the human race throughout the series. You are earth on two legs essentially. You're adam or eve of space politics/badassery. So there was no need for the planet and countries and whatever. There was bigger fish to fry.

Unless they pull off a miracle, Earth is gonna be like that newly discovered character in the middle of a tragedy that dies too briefly to have any emotional impact when it dies. Hi, everyone, my name is Earth. Be my friend. AHHH. NO. MONSTERS. AH! <One single solitary space native american tear> You will be missed unneeded character we got to know for 30 minutes.

Edit:
It appears I'm behind the story due to not playing the dlc. These comments are based off of just playing vanilla me1 and me2 and also based off of a horrible memory.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jarmel said:
Err no. They stated pretty obviously throughout ME2 why. Mordin on his loyalty mission states that humans are amazingly diverse in that one human could react to a situation in a completely different manner than another human unlike Asari or Krogans. Our generic diversity was unique in comparison to any other alien species.

Building an idiot plot on top of idiot plot points from the previous game does not help their case.

Kurtofan

HK-47 said:
Honestly having the climax of the trilogy to happen again in a now irrelevant place would be boring and lazy.

The Citadel is barely recovering after the attack of ONE reaper.
I wouldn't be surprised if a fleet of Reapers destroy it in the intro movie.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LiK said:
you will all buy it and love it.

I'll buy it and be disappointed like last time. Its not like I'm saying the whole game will suck, just the mian plot will continue to suck more.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kurtofan said:
Honestly having the climax of the trilogy to happen again in a now irrelevant place would be boring and lazy.

Explain why the Citadel is irrelevant or less relevant than Earth using logic.

Jarmel

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
That still doesn't explain why they go after one planet and leave the entire rest of the galaxy alone so shepard can rally them through recruitment missions and mission complete menus and stop them in an overly dramatic endgame sequence.

Earth doesn't mean shit in the overall scheme of the galaxy.

Well considering they had to completely change their modus operandi, it actually makes sense for them to go in force and wipe out one planet at a time. If they tried to spread out 1 ship at a time, the combined Council fleets might be able to chip away and wipe out each Reaper but as a whole, nothing could stop a combined Reaper armada.

Also it seems that not every race can produce a Reaper which explains the Collectors as the Protheans couldn't produce a Reaper.

D2M15 said:
:D

Would it kill them to throw us a FemShep alternate cover? They could have the awkward sunglare coming from between her legs instead of under an armpit.

Hasn't Bioware gone on record as saying they get better consumer awareness when they use MaleShep?

Kurtofan said:

Shutting down the heart of the galaxy where most of the money and communications are is not exactly irrelevant. I know they want to avoid repeating things, but if you're crippling a galaxy you go with the thing that will actually cripple it

Losing Earth would suck for humans, but who fucking cares in the rest of the galaxy? They went on fine for like 2 thousand years without us.

Mindman

I'm a little worried that the urgency of saving Earth will not allow for much galaxy exploration in this one...

Marleyman

Banned
Kurtofan said:
I wouldn't be surprised if a fleet of Reapers destroy it in the intro movie.

I would be pissed - I want to explore the newly renovated Citadel a bit before it is blown to bits.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lord_Nergal said:
Hasn't Bioware gone on record as saying they get better consumer awareness when they use MaleShep?

Probably. Dudebro marketing space marines and all.

Hari Seldon

Ickman3400 said:
Shutting down the heart of the galaxy where most of the money and communications are is not exactly irrelevant. I know they want to avoid repeating things, but if you're crippling a galaxy you go with the thing that will actually cripple it

Losing Earth would suck for humans, but who fucking cares in the rest of the galaxy? They went on fine for like 2 thousand years without us.

Or they could like attack 2 places at once. I mean they have the tech to travel between galaxies and shit.

Kurtofan said:
In ME2 nothing important happens there.
It's full of incompetent politicians.

As well as the controls to shut off all galaxy wide communications and control all of the relays....

You're right, that's not important at all

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lord_Nergal said:

Yes, but I trust what comes out BioWare's marketing department about as much as I believe Kotick when he says he's a nice guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom