• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer May: Mass Effect 3 [Update: Details In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jarmel said:
Well considering they had to completely change their modus operandi, it actually makes sense for them to go in force and wipe out one planet at a time. If they tried to spread out 1 ship at a time, the combined Council fleets might be able to chip away and wipe out each Reaper but as a whole, nothing could stop a combined Reaper armada.

Also it seems that not every race can produce a Reaper which explains the Collectors as the Protheans couldn't produce a Reaper.

No you go after the Citadel and cripple the whole galaxy at once.

Jarmel

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
Shutting down the heart of the galaxy where most of the money and communications are is not exactly irrelevant. I know they want to avoid repeating things, but if you're crippling a galaxy you go with the thing that will actually cripple it

Losing Earth would suck for humans, but who fucking cares in the rest of the galaxy? They went on fine for like 2 thousand years without us.

How do we know that hasn't already happened? Earth being attacked could happen mid-game.

Also from a gameplay position, this would be a horrible idea. Without the ME relays it would take years to get from system to system.

Seriously wait till the game comes out and we know what happens in what order before ripping Bioware apart.

Kurtofan

Ickman3400 said:
Shutting down the heart of the galaxy where most of the money and communications are is not exactly irrelevant. I know they want to avoid repeating things, but if you're crippling a galaxy you go with the thing that will actually cripple it

Losing Earth would suck for humans, but who fucking cares in the rest of the galaxy? They went on fine for like 2 thousand years without us.
I understand this point of view, but who actually wants to see the Citadel attacked again?

That's the plot of the first game, now it's the third one.

subversus said:
I'm afraid that it might be true. And you really have no party, just squadmates like in Gears of War.

after DA2 I think Bioware can do everything.

I realllllly hope this isn't the case. Would basically suck out everything I still like about the franchise.

Hari Seldon said:
Or they could like attack 2 places at once. I mean they have the tech to travel between galaxies and shit.

That would make better sense but Bioware hasn't given us anything to indicate that will happen. All the focus so far, even in the last dlc for 2, is earth earth earth earth.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gotta admit you guys got to the shit story discussion much quicker than usual.

Respect.

Jarmel

Banned
Kurtofan said:
I understand this point of view, but who actually wants to see the Citadel attacked again?

That's the plot of the first game, now it's the third one.

I could easily see the Citadel being wiped out early on just so Bioware doesn't actually have to rebuild the Citadel levels.

Anyway the Game Over screens in Arrival do show the Reapers attacking the Citadel so Bioware is aware of this.

mollipen

gdt5016 said:
No ME advertising ever has ever used FemShep.

And they should change that. I'm not asking for the entire marketing campaign to be based around two different Shepards, but damn, they could at least throw a bone to FemShep. Making trailers with both versions would we simple to do, and it shouldn't be up to the fan community to put together versions of the trailers featuring FemShep.

WanderingWind said:
Yes, but I trust what comes out BioWare's marketing department about as much as I believe Kotick when he says he's a nice guy.

I realize the internet believes that everything MUST be catered to us, but BioWare/EA want to sell millions of copies, not just a couple mill. They'll do anything they can to get ME3 to be a massive success, even if that means making it as dudebro in presentation as possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Yasae

Banned
Jarmel said:
Err no. They stated pretty obviously throughout ME2 why. Mordin on his loyalty mission states that humans are amazingly diverse in that one human could react to a situation in a completely different manner than another human unlike Asari or Krogans. Our generic diversity was unique in comparison to any other alien species.
That's an extremely convenient reason why - read: contrivance - but not much of an answer. Lots of species are diverse and most if not all can react differently in any given situation. Humans are special because that's what the writers want, not because of remotely plausible story threads conjured up by giant space machines. Frankly the story would lose focus if it was trying to be neutral because nobody can fill in the gaps created by fictional contingencies in a fictional universe. BioWare has chosen a boring humanity trumps all route, and that's what's so tiresome to me.

EatChildren said:
Gotta admit you guys got to the shit story discussion much quicker than usual.

Respect.
Oh common, give us some credit. When that VGA trailer thread came up we managed to get the bitching and whining underway on the first page.

Clott

shidoshi said:
And they should change that. I'm not asking for the entire marketing campaign to be based around two different Shepards, but damn, they could at least throw a bone to FemShep. Making trailers with both versions would we simple to do, and it shouldn't be up to the fan community to put together versions of the trailers featuring FemShep.

Vanilla male shep is how I roll!

I really hope that Earth isn't just another level in the game. Would love to see it has a hub world (like ilos or citadel) before the reapers arrive.

Jarmel said:
Well considering they had to completely change their modus operandi, it actually makes sense for them to go in force and wipe out one planet at a time. If they tried to spread out 1 ship at a time, the combined Council fleets might be able to chip away and wipe out each Reaper but as a whole, nothing could stop a combined Reaper armada.

Except an elaborate computer virus written on a macintosh.

Lord_Nergal said:
I realize the internet believes that everything MUST be catered to us, but BioWare/EA want to sell millions of copies, not just a couple mill. They'll do anything they can to get ME3 to be a massive success, even if that means making it as dudebro in gameplay as possible.

Just my 2 cents.

Fixer upper.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jarmel said:
I could easily see the Citadel being wiped out early on just so Bioware doesn't actually have to rebuild the Citadel levels.

Anyway the Game Over screens in Arrival do show the Reapers attacking the Citadel so Bioware is aware of this.

If the Citadel falls, you are fucking doomed. Thats why it makes sense to attack it.

Jarmel

Banned
Yasae said:
That's an extremely convenient reason why - read: contrivance - but not much of an answer. Lots of species are diverse and most if not all can react differently in any given situation. Humans are special because that's what the writers want, not because of remotely plausible story threads conjured up by giant space machines. Frankly the story would lose focus if it was trying to be neutral because nobody can fill in the gaps created by fictional contingencies in a fictional universe. BioWare has chosen a boring humanity trumps all route, and that's what's so tiresome to me.

Um not really. All Mordin stated that humans are different from each other and it seems the genetic diversity is something the Reapers want. It doesn't give us god like powers or anything of the like. Then there is the whole Shepard thing which has pissed the Reapers off anyway so not only is this payback for them but also makes us a viable target in regards to their overall plans.

Honestly the only other major target other than Earth would be the Citadel and there might be a reason why the Reapers don't attack that first.

Actually one thing I gotta wonder and I'm surprised this wasn't addressed in ME2 is if the Citadel was re-programmed from being able to control the Mass Effect relays by the Council. It seems like this would have been done if possible.

Flipyap

Kitschkraft said:
[durr]http://i.imgur.com/bigstupidrobotdude.jpg[/barf]

Can't get any dumber really.
Thanks for posting this, you've just made me sad.
I miss the good old days when internet gross-out pictures were simple fun stuff like goatse.

Dresden

Kyoufu said:
Male Shep looks so boring and generic. The embodiment of a Space Marine. BioWare marketing blows.
Didn't more people play as maleShep than femShep? Bioware marketing does blow, but in this case they're right.

Mrbob

Don't f this one up, Bioware!

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
I don´t understand why they choose male sheppard, female sheppard is more badass!

Indeed. Whrong Shepard on the cover.

Dresden said:
Didn't more people play as maleShep than femShep? Bioware marketing does blow, but in this case they're right.

By a very large margin if I remember right. I played through both games once as femshep but I still prefer male shep. He just fits the role better to me.

So I guess the marketing did its job.

shidoshi said:
You're not saying X but you're clearly saying X.

They have a mascot. They're sticking with it. It's simple marketing 101. This isn't marketing mickey and minney mouse. It's mickey mouse and parallel universe female mickey mouse. It's a pointless endeavor to even try to sell and confusing to anyone that isn't "in the know." And yes, it is up to the fan community if they want to give a shit about something that has nothing to do with selling the product and not the marketing team or anyone that works at Bioware. It's not their job to market a Shepard that's black, or one with a bigger nose or one with a different haircut.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jarmel said:
Um not really. All Mordin stated that humans are different from each other and it seems the genetic diversity is something the Reapers want. It doesn't give us god like powers or anything of the like. Then there is the whole Shepard thing which has pissed the Reapers off anyway so not only is this payback for them but also makes us a viable target in regards to their overall plans.

Honestly the only other major target other than Earth would be the Citadel and there might be a reason why the Reapers don't attack that first.

Its extremely contrived and extremely stupid. As are the reasons the other species arent suitable. You know what species is the best in the galaxy regardless of diversity? The fucking krogans, easily.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gravijah said:
That is a terrible cover. Why not just have all the shit goin' on behind him without GIANT CHARACTER RENDER all in front of it?

Because COMMANDER SHEPHERD FUCK YEA BRAH

Dresden

HK-47 said:
Its extremely contrived and extremely stupid. As are the reasons the other species arent suitable. You know what species is the best in the galaxy regardless of diversity? The fucking krogans, easily.
No, clearly the humans with their fragile bodies are far more suitable than a race with a backup nervous system and an extra pair of balls.

HK-47 said:
If the Citadel falls, you are fucking doomed. Thats why it makes sense to attack it.

Yeah, wasn't the whole point that the reapers were able to cut populations off from one another, and one by one, entire civilizations fell?

The process was supposed to be slow and thorough. It's a calculated effort, not "bum rush the most important species for no reason".

If the reapers have been around for, millions of years, and can hibernate for 50 thousand years at a time, why in such a hurry for earth? Hell, it be smarter to get rid of everyone else EXCEPT earth, then go in and cause havoc.

We'll see I guess.

Sebulon3k said:
Doing it Wrong
It's for two reasons mainly. Partly because I've never a seen a well designed Shepard I like the look of more than the default one, but mostly because when they release media etc etc it seems weird not to have my Shepard look like that. I don't feel any desire to change the character because despite him looking like a lot of other "space marines" there's nothing wrong with his design.

LiK

Lord_Nergal said:
Hasn't Bioware gone on record as saying they get better consumer awareness when they use MaleShep?

I think so.

mass_effect_box_art_flat.jpg

947372-masseffectjpbox_super.jpg

LaserBolt-mass-effect-2-box-art_500.jpg

mass_effect_2_03.png

HK-47 said:

Actually stating the Krogans' insufficient numbers as their reason for not being picked makes sense.

Not picking the Asari was just senseless though(as was the reason for no Turians, lol primitive).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Dresden said:
No, clearly the humans with their fragile bodies are far more suitable than a race with a backup nervous system and an extra pair of balls.

but humans are so fucking diverse

Swag

Foliorum Viridum said:
It's for two reasons mainly. Partly because I've never a seen a well designed Shepard I like the look of more than the default one, but mostly because when they release media etc etc it seems weird not to have my Shepard look like that. I don't feel any desire to change the character because despite him looking like a lot of other "space marines" there's nothing wrong with his design.
You should at least give female Shepherd one play through, seeing as how you've played the game over 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom