• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer September Cover: Borderlands 2 [Borderlands Sells Over 4 Mil]

Carm

K.Jack said:
Spend more than 5 minutes on the PC port please.

Yep, I'll be there day one if they bother putting effort into the PC version this time. If the community has to create a configuration tool to fix their fuck ups again, I'll take my money elsewhere. Well, that and it better be full Steamworks this time.

Snow and grass...my prayers have been answered. I despised the original because of the desert setting. No music made it even more boring for me (I have a thing against arid locales). Will keep an eye on this.

What is wrong with the PC version besides the MP? I bought the PC version during the Steam summer sale and it plays great. Although I haven't touched the multiplayer, I am pleased.

LM4sure

Banned
black_vegeta said:
What is wrong with the PC version besides the MP? I bought the PC version during the Steam summer sale and it plays great. Although I haven't touched the multiplayer, I am pleased.

It's clearly designed for consoles. I think auto aim was on by default. The menus were atrocious. Some other crap. IT was still awesome though.

IlludiumQ36

black_vegeta said:
A number of issues, including but not limited to:

• Narrow console FOV (defaulted to about 60°± - should be 80°-90° or at the least, in-game adjustable)
  • Poor mouse support for interface. In-game menus don't support mouse wheel scrolling, for example.
  • Auto-aim on by default
  • Many graphic options and game settings unavailable in options menus (required INI tweaks)

bengraven

Am I the only one who thought the game was choked full of great personality? Maybe if there were more actual cut scenes or voice actors things would have been different. Someone to read off mission quest dialogue for you or something.

I don't know, I loved the aesthetic behind the game and it's my favorite shooter, period, ever.

edit:

Maybe if they injected more of the talent behind the web material into the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4QNsaqnz4

RZI

Borderlands was a great game, even though it had many things that could've been so much better.

Can't wait for this one!

Keasar

Hey cool, hopefully they will make a less repetitive game and, maybe its just me, a open world.

Question: Is it possible for someone in Europe to subscribe to Gameinformer? It seems to be a american only magazine and it always seems to have all the exclusive shit and reveals I wanna read. :(

YES! Really Excited for this. I still havent finished the first one despite having the GotY Edition. So if anyone wants to join me add me on PSN
SixStringPsycho
Im currently on Level 26

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Character on the cover is ugly.

Anyway, they're going to have do a lot to get me interested in this one.

Patryn

Borderlands was the first loot whore game I've played where I've felt compelled to get right back in and start a new playthrough immediately after beating it.

Sciz

About time.

Re: Gameplay

I suspect a lot of Borderlands' problems stem from the fact that the whole game was heavily overhauled under a year before release. They have a solid starting point to build on this time and, if it's been in production since the first one released, three years of dev time.

Re: Story

The story in the first game got hit especially hard by the revamp; looking at early footage and leftover sound clips, it's clear there was a lot to it that got left on the cutting room floor. That said, I wouldn't worry about the plot in BL2. The tone of the writing clearly changed when the art style did, so while the final game is kind of a mash up of a bunch of disparate elements, the DLC and promotional material was all pitch perfect. They know what they're doing with the writing now.

Zzoram

Put some effort into the PC port and it would sell way better on PC. GameSpy multiplayer making the multiplayer garbage and unplayable for months really hurt PC word of mouth.

RiderKairuu said:
Color me excited! And this reminds me that I've yet to play any of the DLC, I need to go do that.

zombie island is pretty damned entertaining. it's not too hard either (even on a second playthrough) so i suggest you tackle that one first when you feel like taking a break from Pandora... :)

Will Borderlands 2 actually drop good loot?

I kept my guns for 20+ levels at a time. Just about all the guns were sold back.

Better loot for a loot based game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hopefully this issue comes in the mail soon. I have been craving a new and improved borderlands ever since the credits rolled on the first.

It is one of those games that while awesome already, has SO much room for potential improvement.

Zzoram

black_vegeta said:

Menus were bad for PC, FOV was very limited. The game was still good, but the broken multiplayer is what really ruins the game. It's meant to be a co-op multiplayer loot whore game, but the multiplayer was so broken and even when it worked it was really bad due to GameSpy being stuck in the 1990s.

They should use a modern non-shit multiplayer system for Borderlands 2 like Steamworks and that alone would solve most of their PC problems. Steamworks is free to implement and a decade better than GameSpy.

marathonfool said:
Will Borderlands 2 actually drop good loot?

I kept my guns for 20+ levels at a time. Just about all the guns were sold back.

Better loot for a loot based game.
I would prefer to get MUCH less loot as long as what I did get had a higher chance of being good. Enemies in General Knoxx DLC dropped the same guns 99% of the time.

Fou-Lu

I loved Borderlands. Better loot, a character class that actually interests me and more diverse environments and enemies could make BL2 GOTY for me.

ShockingAlberto said:
I found Borderlands' concept to be fine, but the execution to be way off.

A lot of enemies were just bullet sponges that required nothing more complicated than circle-strafing and shooting. The actual loot mechanic was subverted by having high level weapons near spawn points in cities, while bosses and enemies would drop kind of shitty weapons compared to what you could get by just wandering around town a bit. There was almost no level design to speak of, either it was just corridors of caves, open desert with an occasional corridor in to an arena-type area with exploding barrels, or mountains that were walled off in to basically corridors. The PC port was embarrassingly bad, and moreover, they straight up lied about it. You had to scroll with Pg Up/Pg Dn buttons, change the text size to see the full descriptions for every weapon, play through Gamespy for some unexplainable reason that likely has everything to do with Randy Pitchford's infamous hate boner for Steam that he eventually got over but not in time to actually help the game any. The characters you chose were stocks that had no actual personality and very little gameplay flavor - there was almost no advantage to having a crew of four people with different classes since the game did not take advantage of their skills (though this is a problem that permeates almost every part of Borderlands, it feels like gameplay systems were designed separate from everything else and then pieces of the game were just stuck together with glue after having been finished separately). The enemy design was basically "This is a wolf. This is a person. ITERATE ON THESE FOREVER."

The more I think about it, the more I realize I did not actually like Borderlands that much! And I honestly have no faith that Gearbox will fix everything wrong with it because of all the praise they got for the first game.

I will say that one part of Borderlands felt truly great and like it was building to something. When a buddy and I went in to a city for the first time and were attacked by men in armor with proper munitions and it was challenging and fun. The city had actual level design, interesting new enemies, and a compelling story premise. I thought it would be a turning point for the game, but nothing for the rest of the game was that interesting again.

Oh, and I thought the game was really unfunny, including and especially the claptraps.
I never got as far as this city you mention, but it's nice to have someone sum up my feelings about the game in a more effective and less obnoxious way than I would have.

Jo-El

Borderlands really surprised me. I was very skeptical of it, but I picked up the GOTY version on sale and absolutely loved it.

thaOwner

Will be there day one this time around. Character on the back looks funny but im very interested to see this thing running.

Disguises

YES. Best news to come back to. I've been wondering about this for ages. Seemed such an obvious thing to do. I'm actually interested to see if there is a Wii U version, just imagine the possible ease of inventory management.

Guevara

1. I'm delighted they're not changing the visual style, I just hope they add more level variety
2. I hope they don't bother added a detailed story

Marvie_3

Banned
Finished the first one. There was a lot of little things I didn't like about the game but I'm curious to see what they change for Borderlands 2. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

Salsa

ShockingAlberto said:
Randy Pitchford's infamous hate boner for Steam

lol i remember this:

MPC: The download services, like Steam, are helping make it easier to buy games though, right?

RP: I’ll tell you what. Steam helps. As a guy in this industry though, I don’t trust Valve.

MPC: Because they’re competitors?

RP: Right.

MPC: You guys have worked with them a lot!

RP: I know. And I, personally, trust Valve.

hahahah wat

Inkwell

Banned
IlludiumQ36 said:
A number of issues, including but not limited to:

• Narrow console FOV (defaulted to about 60°± - should be 80°-90° or at the least, in-game adjustable)
  • Poor mouse support for interface. In-game menus don't support mouse wheel scrolling, for example.
  • Auto-aim on by default
  • Many graphic options and game settings unavailable in options menus (required INI tweaks)
Yes. They better fix all of this. They also need to get rid of gamespy.

Top Bottom