• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer September Cover: Borderlands 2 [Borderlands Sells Over 4 Mil]

Kurod

Banned
He'll yeah. I still play Borderlands regularly. I just hope the gun generator is a bit smarter this time. Zero accuracy shotguns with a 4x scope? Really?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
subversus said:
What the fuck. 600$ or bust.

You can't buy a high-end PC for $600. :p My previous upgrade was in 2007, cost me $1700 and has lasted until now, with Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 being the only two games that I'm unable to run acceptably at max settings (it goes without saying that I haven't played every game of the past 4 years, including the unoptimised mess that is Metro 2033). I consider that a fair investment and I imagine I'll get a similar lengthy life from the upcoming upgrade. I could shave off $200+ if I downgraded some components (e.g. drop to the 2500k from the 2600k and replace the 3GB GTX 580 with the 1.5GB variant), but I'd rather not. The 2600k is for video encoding/editing and the 3GB framebuffer of the GTX 580 will come in handy when I later purchase the Dell U2711.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
For a second, I thought it said Borderlands 2 was coming to the 3DS and I got mega excited. I re-read it again and was a little disappointed.

Still, I am very happy for a sequel, and I approve of them sticking with the art style.

Crunched said:
Doesn't sound very tech savvy. Where do you live that a PC would be that expensive?

As he went through all the options, I just kept telling him to "throw in the good shit." I wanted to make it 'future-resistant', but if it won't last a long time, screw it.

Also, I always here about these magical "run Crysis 2 at 60 fps for $17.50!!" CPU's but I've never seen em, and I wouldn't know the first thing about building a cpu so....yea.

Loved the first especially the art style, and while Brink didn't interest me gameplay wise I felt the graphics were an evolution of what Birderlands did, really hope we see something comparable in Borderlands 2

Orayn

Kurod said:
He'll yeah. I still play Borderlands regularly. I just hope the gun generator is a bit smarter this time. Zero accuracy shotguns with a 4x scope? Really?
That's part of the fun of it, though! I'd be cool with BL2 allowing for even more outlandish weapons as long as there was some way of disassembling and/or modifying them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Orayn said:
That's part of the fun of it, though! I'd be cool with BL2 allowing for even more outlandish weapons as long as there was some way of disassembling and/or modifying them.

I would love being able to personalize weapons. And the weapon having to go through a verification process online for you to personalize so that it's confirmed to not be a "modded" gun.

Acquiescence said:
Just what the industry needs: another first-person shooter. Oh joy.

Really? Do you post this in every Call of Duty and Halo thread? Borderlands does not deserve this hate.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Acquiescence said:
I welcome sequels of innovative FPS games.

ReaperXL7

The two things I want from the game other than a more indepth campaign, is Customizable characters ( visual apperance, armor loot drops, color changes), and the ability to Mod your own weapons. There were so many times I could find an awesome weapon, but I would hate the rate of fire compared to what I had, or I would want a different scope, or color scheme.

I know alot of people on the BL forums were asking for the same stuff so hopefully Gearbox was listening. It's hard to imagine how they have been working on this enough to warrant a 2012 release, they just released Duke, and they are also working on Brothers in Arms, and Aliens. Seems like overload for the studio but as long as the games are great i'm in.

Bay Maximus said:
As he went through all the options, I just kept telling him to "throw in the good shit." I wanted to make it 'future-resistant', but if it won't last a long time, screw it.

Also, I always here about these magical "run Crysis 2 at 60 fps for $17.50!!" CPU's but I've never seen em, and I wouldn't know the first thing about building a cpu so....yea.

i too am skeptical of those super cheap "it plays crysis!" builds. i have to wonder if they really meant "it plays crysis at 1024x768 on medium graphics settings!".

im in a lucky spot right now because there's not much reason to move up to Bulldozer YET (clarity: most games don't even use multicore much less all 4 cores of quad cpu's), and the II X4's are so cheap right now that you could upgrade without spending much or reinstalling windows. i'll grab a 3.5ghz X4 and a second 6850 and just wait for the goodies to release.

Orayn

Acquiescence said:
Borderlands is exactly what the industry needs. It's funny, visually fresh, doesn't take itself too seriously, doesn't insist on being "cinematic," and has some of the best co-op play since Gauntlet Legends.

Raxus

Bay Maximus said:
Almost got a Gaming PC last week.

Tech Savvy Friend: So with everything you're looking at close to $1800
Bay Maximus: Alright cool, let's do it. This will last me around 10 years or so right?
TSF: [laughs]
BM: [laughs]
TSF: [laughs]
BM:....yea, fuck that.
Your friend is an idiot. I built my PC for much less than that and it lasted me for a good four years (I need to upgrade my dual core to quad core for BF3).

benjipwns

Banned
Raxus said:
Your friend is an idiot. I built my PC for much less than that and it lasted me for a good ten years (I need to upgrade my dual core to quad core for BF3).
You built a PC in 2001 you haven't upgraded since then that's still running modern games?

Raxus

benjipwns said:
You built a PC in 2001 you haven't upgraded since then that's still running modern games?
Stupid mistake on my part. I built it around the time Crysis came out. The statement still stands. It lasted for quite some time and the only upgrade it needs is a better processor.

benjipwns

Banned
Raxus said:
Stupid mistake on my part. I built it around the time Crysis came out. The statement still stands. It lasted for quite some time and the only upgrade it needs is a better processor.
Ha, yeah that makes sense and is more than believable (I'm coming up on three years for the core components), I was just like wait...

-PXG-

Roland had insane stat, ammo and health buffs/ regens. Better recognize.

Acquiescence said:

The derp....IT BURNS!!!!

2qckwwk.gif

Wow, and I was thinking about replaying the original just recently to get the remaining trophies. I am mighty pleased by this! :D :D :D

Acquiescence said:

i6y0qt.gif

Orayn

-PXG- said:
Roland had insane stat, ammo and health buffs/ regens. Better recognize.
I had a hard time playing as anyone but Roland. Metal Storm and Overload were my best friends. <3

Orayn said:
I had a hard time playing as anyone but Roland. Metal Storm and Overload were my best friends. <3

I had no problem playing with Mordecai. Better ammo regen and health perks than Roland IMO. All Mordecai's perks are directly related to how much murdering you can do. :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And I let out a huge collective meh. The art style wasn't the issue with the game. It was the boring gameplay that was.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Orayn said:
Borderlands is exactly what the industry needs. It's funny, visually fresh, doesn't take itself too seriously, doesn't insist on being "cinematic," and has some of the best co-op play since Gauntlet Legends.
I found Borderlands as funny as Duke Nukem. Not at all.
'Hahaha he's an offensive stereotype of a southerner! HAha he's a robot, but he likes to dance! HOW WHACKY!"
It was basically Robot Chicken in video game form.

-PXG-

The Take Out Bandit said:
I had no problem playing with Mordecai. Better ammo regen and health perks than Roland IMO. All Mordecai's perks are directly related to how much murdering you can do. :D

Roland had similar perks ;)

Atruvius

TheSeks said:
And I let out a huge collective meh. The art style wasn't the issue with the game. It was the boring gameplay that was.

I agree. Every mission was just pure shooting and everytime you scored a headshot the frame rate got a hit aswell. Every area looked a like and seemed to have the same music.

Orayn said:

Ayup. To be honest, I held off on playing the first one because I thought it was just 'another FPS'. Played it, and enjoyed some of the best damn co-op this side of Metal Slug

-PXG- said:
Roland had similar perks ;)

Yeah, maybe I just haven't unlocked enough of his skill tree for it to be useful; but at this point Mordecai is still my favorite.

Brick is like a dancing game for me. Fun to watch, but not fun to play because I can't concentrate on watching him be a spaz and punch Skags in the throat like Ang Lee Hulk. :p

zoner said:
'Hahaha he's an offensive stereotype of a southerner! HAha he's a robot, but he likes to dance! HOW WHACKY!"

You must find no joy in life. (I kid, I kid. But the game is pretty awesome and hilarious)

I seriously hope they've added armor or some other element of loot. The problem with guns is I really only need a few. So having a billion just means "use the best ones". Which for my Firefly Siren, was pretty much a single specific gun.

Armor on the other hand... mmm... loot...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm hoping for named uniques with unique art.

Orayn

zoner said:
That's not really where most of the humor was, though. It was all the little quips, quest titles, lines of dialogue, and other bits and pieces. Unlike Duke Nukem, it wasn't trying particularly hard to be funny, it was just very aware of itself as a video game, and opted for silliness over melodrama.

I'm so ready for this. Will probably get the PC and 360 versions to play with different groups of friends. Assuming, that is, that the PC version is better optimized for the platform this time. Can't wait to get more info.

Raxus

Orayn said:
That's not really where most of the humor was, though. It was all the little quips, quest titles, lines of dialogue, and other bits and pieces. Unlike Duke Nukem, it wasn't trying particularly hard to be funny, it was just very aware of itself as a video game, and opted for silliness over melodrama.
Even the achievements were silly. 599 dollars, I'm on a boat, etc.

zoner said:

you apparently didn't get the humor then. the only way i can describe it is in how some sketch comedy shows will have a skit with a comedian telling bad jokes and completely bombing on stage. that in itself, is funny. (unless snl does it. that show couldn't be any less funny if they tried.) but truth be told, they didn't go overboard with it all because it would just be a distraction.

if you just look at the surface of the humor it's totally fart jokes and stuff for shallow-minded girls that pretend to be interested in your gaming hobby would find hilarious. in actuality it's more like rocko's modern life: you laugh as a kid and then when you are an adult and watch it you're like "lol .....oh wait, HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY AIRED THAT FOR KIDS TO WATCH."

edit:
Orayn said:

also this ^^^

Top Bottom