• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer September cover - Destiny: The Taken King [Up: All Details]

El-Suave

The article makes it sound as if the raid is more closely integrated into the story this time, meaning it's probably the final mission of the narrative. For me as somebody who has played a lot of Destiny but who has yet to complete a raid that would be unfortunate. I appreciated that they have been somwhat seperate entities so far so you could get "closure" even without completing them.

"•the Cryptarch more reliably provides rewards that match the engrams you give him."

This caught my eye. Why after 12 months and multiple tweaks are we still settling for "more reliably"? Why is it so damn difficult for them to allow him to just drop something that matches the color of the engram and is at least relevant to the class we're turning the engram in for?

"•the Cryptarch more reliably provides rewards that match the engrams you give him."

This caught my eye. Why after 12 months and multiple tweaks are we still settling for "more reliably"? Why is it so damn difficult for them to allow him to just drop something that matches the color of the engram and is at least relevant to the class we're turning the engram in for?

I've never had an engram reward something below the level of the engram yet. Seemed pretty much fixed to me not sure what they mean.

I'm interested in these changes they're making, as most of them sound like they're for the better...

But I'm highly skeptical about the amount of original content we're getting and how improved the story is going to be, if at all.

You've got this huge expansive universe to tell a story in. The first game, while really light on the story, at least had a decent focal point: the Traveler helped get mankind to reach new heights, but then it got sick (THE DARKNESS), and now enemy aliens are attacking, which you have to fend off. The game ends with you healing (somewhat?) the Traveler and killing some giant heart (THE DARKNESS) that was... making more darkness. Whatever, it was vague, but it had a clear universe-sized goal.

Then The Dark Below came out and it was a giant side quest. There's a big Hive dude who's evil and we gotta kill it. Sure, fine. Nothing within the universe is affected, but whatever.

Then House of Wolves came out. Another side quest, but I suppose with a tiny bit more story. A bunch of Fallen have betrayed the Awoken and you gotta hunt them down. And you do. So I suppose the Queen and her Awoken have been altered story-wise... but still, no focus at all on the bigger picture here: the Traveler, what it is, what it means, the Speaker's backstory, the real threat to the last city on Earth, what humanity is doing to reclaim its place in the universe, etc, etc.

But now we've got the next true chapter in Destiny. The Taken King. Okay, here we go.

It's Crota's dad and he wants revenge.

...................................................................................

I'm really, really hoping there's a lot more to the big picture, here.

Ke0

Kind of looks and sounds like their original plan for Destiny. Or that could be what I always wanted Destiny to be, a fantasy/sci-fi hybrid. I felt original Destiny went too far in the sci-fi setting.

I might actually grab this.

Azull

Can't believe they're ripping out all of the ghosts (dinklage) audio and having it replaced. Granted it was quite awful but I've never seen or heard a game developer ever do that before. I hope they allow you to atleast switch back to dinklage audio although I highly doubt that's the case.

ocean

Banned

Engrams don't decrypt into lower quality items. It took them a few months to patch that but it was a long time ago.

scoobs

Can't believe they're ripping out all of the ghosts (dinklage) audio and having it replaced. Granted it was quite awful but I've never seen or heard a game developer ever do that before. I hope they allow you to atleast switch back to dinklage audio although I highly doubt that's the case.

Why would you want to listen to his poorly delivered lines ever again? Just for nostalgias sake or something?

Carn82

Why would you want to listen to his poorly delivered lines ever again? Just for nostalgias sake or something?

They should put an easter egg somewhere. Hide a 'Dinklebot' in the tower, that would spew out some of the Dinklage-dialogue.
/edit: put it next to the jukebox. Have a danceparty while someone triggers A CELL, FROM THE PRISON OF ELDERS

Stantron

Am I the only one that is probably a little too excited about not having to store shaders in the vault anymore?

I wonder if they're stupid enough to do this just for the shaders, and not for other things like emblems. Kind of like how they increased ammo stacks from 20 to 100 but did nothing for planet materials which still take too much space at stacks of 200.

Carn82

I wonder if they're stupid enough to do this just for the shaders, and not for other things like emblems. Kind of like how they increased ammo stacks from 20 to 100 but did nothing for planet materials which still take too much space at stacks of 200.

shaders and emblems will go out of the vault.

pantsmith

It's Crota's dad and he wants revenge.

I'm really, really hoping there's a lot more to the big picture, here.

I don't know how far back the Hive pantheon goes, or what Oryx's rank actually is (god king?), but it's as simple as the difference between fighting a Sith Inquisitor and fighting Darth Vader himself. One of them is way more important.

Oryx has way more clout to toss around, is physically bringing the Hive with him (instead of having been left over from previous conflicts), and it seems like we're actually going to war with him (based on the cutscenes of a big space battle outside of his ship).

There are big implications that we've gone from patrolling the solar system to defending it from active invaders.

HBP

So wait, if I have the base game and two current expansions there is going to be a patch when TTK comes out and I can level from my current 25 to 34 (or whatever the current cap is) without buying TTK?

Top Bottom