• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer September cover - Destiny: The Taken King [Up: All Details]

Dunk#7

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. After putting more than a thousand hours into Year One, I feel I've gotten far more than my money's worth out of the experience.

Three maxed level characters, one of each class, every exotic in the game, all those moments anticipating Nightfall drops, and nearly 200 raid completions with my friends and the memories of our adventures... it's been an absolutely incredible year, and I'm very much looking forward to where our journey takes us next.

I am right in that boat with you.

It is the only game I have played since it launched. I went from PvP focus at launch to PvE a few weeks later after I couldn't get past roughly 26 playing only crucible. Vault of a Glass had me hooked. I remained PvE focused through CE, but now I am back to loving PvP with Trials. This game always keeps me entertained in one way or another

I have everything except 2 exotic weapons and 2 exotic armor across all classes

My favorite game series (Metal Gear) will obviously take some time away, but Destiny is already one of my favorite games ever. At times it can become repetitive, but there are way too many great things to be overshadowed by a few faults. Everything seems to always be improving and the future looks bright.

Can't wait to explore the Dreadnaught (sp?) and go into the raid blind. I got to do that with CE, but not VoG. Trying to figure it out will be great.

What does this mean? How is this even a thing? I thought they removed the Cryptarch having a chance to give you more common items from rarer engrams ages ago.

Was he giving away chest pieces from arm engrams or the like and I just never noticed?

Probably that engrams won't turn into coins, energy, or shards.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
If you buy the retail taken king or the 60 dollar downloadable version you will get all the previous dlc.
Probably already asked but does the $40 expansion include the old DLC? I assume no? Will probably determine if I give this a shot.
Yeah there's a collectors edition that includes everything plus some goodies for 80 and there's a regular version for 60 bucks that just includes vanilla and expansions. The latter is retail only.
Nevermind. Guess not, sigh.

Orayn

Probably already asked but does the $40 expansion include the old DLC? I assume no? Will probably determine if I give this a shot.

Nope, $40 is only an option if you own the base game and both expansions. Otherwise, $60 for everything.

Kalentan

No it does not. Honestly I feel like if you don't own any of the DLC, the $60 version is better. Just trade in the old version for some money and use it to buy the new version.

We aren't guinea pigs. We're grumpy and unpaid overpriced game reviewers.

I would have gotten my money's worth if I got Hawkmoon to drop.

PooBone

I had a LOT of problems with Destiny. This article, or at least the OP, barely even mentioned them.
so I'm assuming this is still a husk of a game.

Mindlog

--Exotic items now have their "defining perk" immediately unlocked (eg You can do a blinding bubble as soon as you acquire Helm of Saint 14, no need to level it up)
Dope.
We all knew Dark Below's upgrade mechanic was a shitty deal. Nice to see some real progress.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
All of this stuff sounds great. I was deeply disappointed in Destiny and how Bungie has handled the game since launch to the point that I sold back my copy, but I'll happily give it another go considering all of these changes. I'll definitely be waiting until it can be had for around $30 or less, though.

.J.

Banned
Wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

What's the deal with this whole digital/not-digital thing? I must have missed something, but can somebody outline my purchase options for getting ALL Destiny content on the Xbox One? It looks to me like I have to pay $80 digitally for what I can get for $60 via physical media. Is that right, or am I illiterate?

krioto

I'm a bit confused, and hope someone can help me.

I stopped playing when I got my Warlock to level 28.

I have purchased the first 2 expansions, but quit the game before playing either.

What do I need to do to purchase TTK - can I just get that to upgrade what I have?

and - is there going to be matchmaking for the raids?

thanks

Orayn

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

What's the deal with this whole digital/not-digital thing? I must have missed something, but can somebody outline my purchase options for getting ALL Destiny content on the Xbox One? It looks to me like I have to pay $80 digitally for what I can get for $60 via physical media. Is that right, or am I illiterate?

TTK upgrade = $40, only an option if you own both previous expansions and the base game

Destiny Legendary Edition = $60, includes physical base game, codes for both expansions and TTK.

TTK Collector's Edition = $80, physical or digital, includes all the Legendary edition content plus emotes, exotics, and some other goodies. (No physical goodies for the digital version, obv.)

You can also get the Collector's Edition digital/in-game stuff separately for $20.

I'm a bit confused, and hope someone can help me.

I stopped playing when I got my Warlock to level 28.

I have purchased the first 2 expansions, but quit the game before playing either.

What do I need to do to purchase TTK - can I just get that to upgrade what I have?

and - is there going to be matchmaking for the raids?

thanks

Since you own the base game and both dlc, you only need to get the $40 expansion pack

EloquentM

aka Mannny
TTK upgrade = $40, only an option if you own both previous expansions and the base game

Destiny Legendary Edition = $60, includes base game, both expansions, and TTK. Physical or digital.

TTK Collector's Edition = $80, physical or digital, includes all the Legendary edition content plus emotes, exotics, and some other goodies. (No physical goodies for the digital version, obv.)

You can also get the Collector's Edition content for $20 if you bought a TTK digital upgrade for 40.
Legendary edition is physical only sir

Kalentan

This is confusing me.

So i can't own TKK without owning dlc 1&2 first? I own the base game digitally and am trying to understand if I can just buy tkk on its own.

Well no, as far as I know you can still just purchase the $40 digital version of TTK. Still, for $20 more you get both previous expansions which it seems they're doing some revamping to them.

Tovarisc

Sounds like it, yeah. They didn't outright say "you gain 21-40 with XP," so there's a chance that some other in-game milestones are also involved.

I hope warlocks get good looking gear in TTK. Vault of Glass armor set is still only good looking end game set for warlocks and maybe best looking set is blue gear from level ~10 area. Transmogging would be excellent fit into Destiny imo, you just couldn't mog exotics so "builds" could still be easily read in PvP.

Edit: that ninja-edit for Orayn :b

MattyG

Banned
Re posting this info I found, might have spoilers so covering them all
Hh5P2gk.gif

Lol, I've railed pretty hard on Destiny and Bungie but I'm actually interested to see these changes once they are implemented. It sounds more and more like TTK will act as a Destiny: Redux / 1.5 pseudo-sequel of sorts and finally becoming the game Bungie wanted/should have shipped in the first place.

The base game had an enormous amount of problems and silly/ill-informed design decisions so a lot of these and prior changes are very welcomed. I just hope they can actually act on all the lessons they've learned from their initial failures and make a better game. They really need to get their shit together for the real sequel and make sure Destiny 2 is a better game right outta the gate instead of having to spend 6-9 months post launch re-designing, modifying, adapting and patching all the bizarre/dumb design decisions in the first place. Sequel needs at least 3-4 times the amount of content in the first game and they need to double if not triple their efforts in term of crafting and integrating a more complete, coherent and compelling story as well as mission structures instead of relying upon the ridiculously repetative Dinklebot horde mode then shoot the bullet spongy boss mission design. I have hope, if any developer can fuck up that badly on their first attempt then come back and knock the sequel right outta the park it's Bungie.

"Narrative-focused events".

I'll believe it when I see it.

Since I already own the base game and both expansions, the amount of actual content will be the main deciding factor for me. I won't shed $40 for a few "campaign" missions, weapons and a new level cap.

VanWinkle

Oh, you have to buy the early expansions to even get this one? Why? I don't understand that. I've never heard of something like that.

No way I'm buying it now, considering I'd have to be paying at LEAST $60 for less content than the already bare-at-launch base game and only one new explorable area.

This game makes me so mad.

Raptor

For $60 you get the base Destiny game, the first 2 expansions (The Dark Below and House of Wolves), as well as The Taken King (which is more of an actual full-fledged expansion as opposed to the other 2).

Well thats hell of a deal for me since I didnt buy it when it launched :D

Thanks.

.J.

Banned

Destiny Legendary Edition = $60, includes physical base game, codes for both expansions and TTK.

You can also get the Collector's Edition digital/in-game stuff separately for $20.

Legendary edition is physical only sir

So I'm correct in assuming that if I'm starting at square one with Destiny on a new console, and if I want to keep a digital library, I basically have to pay $80 for the same content as what I would get on a $60 disc?

reKon

Banned
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. After putting more than a thousand hours into Year One, I feel I've gotten far more than my money's worth out of the experience.

Three maxed level characters, one of each class, every exotic in the game, all those moments anticipating Nightfall drops, and nearly 200 raid completions with my friends and the memories of our adventures... it's been an absolutely incredible year, and I'm very much looking forward to where our journey takes us next.

Damn son, play some other games

lord_lad

Banned
After a year and $80 bucks later....The Destiny Public Beta is finally over...now pay another $40 to get Destiny v1.0!!!!

stephen08

Oh, you have to buy the early expansions to even get this one? Why? I don't understand that. I've never heard of something like that.

No way I'm buying it now, considering I'd have to be paying at LEAST $60 for less content than the already bare-at-launch base game and only one new explorable area.

This game makes me so mad.

You need to have them either way. Whether it is through the $40 upgrade or if you are paying the $60 compilation price you will have the old expansions if you have Taken King.

link1201

An initial set of new story missions is just the opening act of a larger set of narrative-focused events

Wow, if true I may finally jump in. My initial time with the beta plus reviews and forum comments gave me no reason to get invested in the lore of this game. I really wanted to take a deep dive into it but it was much too shallow for me.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Sigh... I guess I'm part of the problem. I just preordered The Taken King Collector's Edition from GameStop for $80. Considering I didn't buy either of the previous two expansions (just the base game, which came with my white PS4), and they are both included, that makes it kinda alright, but not really. :p

VanWinkle

You need to have them either way. Whether it is through the $40 upgrade or if you are paying the $60 compilation price you will have the old expansions if you have Taken King.

Wait, you mean, if I buy the $40 Taken King, I will automatically get the first two expansions as well?

jtar86

Shit I thought I was done with this game but now I'm not so sure. Their moving toward a Diablo 3 level of improvement from what I'm hearing. I've had a love hate relationship with this game for a while but it seems like maybe this time they are taking more steps in the right direction. Played all the way through most of the last expansion and just got tired of the grind. Hopefully some of that is stripped out and there's more ways to get the gear you want and level up.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm confused about he Ghost thing.

They didn't actually tear out all the old Dinkledge dialogue and replace it did they?

Top Bottom