• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Tease: "Screenshots ... are gorgeous. My jaw is still on the ground..."

Proelite

Reach was amazing graphically overall with a few extremely ugly down points.

Motion blur was terrible, i.e. the part in the first level where you view a hawk while riding a hawk.
Faces on NPC humans in gameplay wasn't anything special.
Objects in the environments lacked proper shadows.
The image quality, despite the TAA, wasn't that much better than Halo 3.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Motion blur was terrible, i.e. the part in the first level where you view a hawk while riding a hawk.

Yeah, I like the graphics a lot in Reach, but the motion blur was definitely terrible.

DarkChild

Banned

I agree. The bad part of mb is, per object mb only works when you are moving. You have to move to see mb on your gun while reloading, otherwise you won't see it. Epic mentioned that was one of the problems they had to solve when implementing new object mb in UE3 last year.

I agree. The bad part of mb is, per object mb only works when you are moving. You have to move to see mb on your gun while reloading, otherwise you won't see it. Epic mentioned that was one of the problems they had to solve when implementing new object mb in UE3 last year.

Anybody from Crytek working on Halo 4? Their implementation of motion blur is pretty great.

LOL Wat?

It not just has physics but the dynamic of drakes clothing getting we up to the point where he touches in water.

Why is it when you move in water, the water does not ripple to your character model?

No phyics. Understand?

And making nathan look wet has nothing to do with the water tech. It's a shader that is applied like in Gears of War 2 when you are in the worm and you get soaked in blood the same way.

beast786

Why is it when you move in water, the water does not ripple to your character model?

No phyics. Understand?

And making nathan look wet has nothing to do with the water tech. It's a shader that is applied like in Gears of War 2 when you are in the worm and you get soaked in blood the same way.

Are you BLIND?

Are you BLIND?

Show me the ripples you create in the water.

I have the game and tested it. The water has NO interaction with your character model or any other action you do.

Like if you throw a gernade in the water, it won't displace the water at all no 2d or 3d tesselated like in HALO 3.

mmmk

Seriously do you have the game or are you one of those people who look at youtube vids and base your highly technical analysis on them.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The real question is, who really gives a shit? Both games look good.

This a fight for supremacy! Not a group of silly men squabbling over which branded toy produces the best eye candy!

If I wanted to see spectacular water I'd go to the beach!

GQman2121

Banned
This a fight for supremacy! Not a group of silly men squabbling over which branded toy produces the best eye candy!

If I wanted to see spectacular water I'd go to the beach!
The lengths people will go to argue nonsense in some of these technical threads is absurd at times. All you can do is laugh because if you don't, all that's let is pity.

RPGCrazied

Halo 4? Doesn't that look a lot like the 3rd game? I'm hoping its something totally new though.

God of War 4 would be cool, minus Kratos. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be even better, but that isn't going to come out in my life time apparently.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Halo 4? Doesn't that look a lot like the 3rd game? I'm hoping its something totally new though.

God of War 4 would be cool, minus Kratos. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be even better, but that isn't going to come out in my life time apparently.

It looks a lot like the 3rd game really?

JWong

Banned
So little puddles with small splash particles in Halo 3 are more impressive than the ocean wave in Uncharted 3.

The lengths people will go to argue nonsense in some of these technical threads is absurd at times. All you can do is laugh because if you don't, all that's let is pity.

I like these kind of threads it makes people do research or look up stuff.
Its a nice way to learn stuff. Hell 2~3 years ago in a fanboy fight on some old forum it was one poster(GT forum ACrevolution if im not mistaken)that knew so much stuff i pm him and asked where he learned all that stuff. He just gave me some links like to Beyond3D lurked there for a long time and some wikipedia stuff.

Then i went to uni CS course and met a fellow student/friend that was into game programming and stuff and did some game projects with him and others..
He forced me to learn C++ by lending his Game institute books.

So yeah these thread can inspire some people to do stuff and learn about subjects.

So little puddles with small splash particles in Halo 3 are more impressive than the ocean wave in Uncharted 3.

its not that simple for all we know that little puddles has a denser polygon mesh then the ocean.

Okay let's not derail this thread anymore lol

HALO 4 has to be the cover story.

It fits 343Industries hints of new info and pics we will get this month confirmed by their podcast. And that their weekly update has moved to Thursday this week.

WrikaWrek

Banned

The point being that the water in Uncharted 3 is very pretty but doesn't react to the actions of the player. Which in fact does MEAN for a fact that the water in Uncharted 3 isn't as well "simulated" as the water in Halo 3 when it comes to those details.

Aside from it, water has been looking impressive in videogames since last generation, and no Uncharted 3 doesn't somehow render water in a way that we have never seen before.

At this point, water no longer just needs to look like water, it has to behave like water. Next Gen will be cool for that.

To weigh in on the water debate, I found Uncharted 3's water looked better than Uncharted 1/2's, but it sacrificed interactivity for it. For example, the pool from Uncharted 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9LI3Xzrls

Killzone 3, on the other hand, used different types of water in different areas. The arctic areas were impressive, though you could clearly see the polygonal structure and couldn't interact with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fTpztdqeWQ

Meanwhile, the water in smaller areas you could actually reach reacted to shots and whatnot, and actually functioned better than any of the water in the Uncharted series, imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YWDHI61C9Y

And then there's the water from the Gears 2 Brackish Waters boss fight, that's on a larger scale but still retains interactive physics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoF0MqoBKgc

People claiming Halo 3 has the best water seem like they've haven't played too many more recent games, imo.

Top Bottom