• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Tease: "Screenshots ... are gorgeous. My jaw is still on the ground..."

The Halo series has been butt ugly since the second one. Halo 2 is inexplicably blurry and the texture quality is lower than its predecessor. Halo 3 has this nasty motion blur effect that looks like you are drunk when you move. Halo 3 doesn't even run in HD. Even Halo 3's much hyped lighting system is all over the place. Gears 3 (while much newer I'll admit, but still on the same console) has considerably better and more consistently high quality lighting.

The Halo series has been butt ugly since the second one. Halo 2 is inexplicably blurry and the texture quality is lower than its predecessor. Halo 3 has this nasty motion blur effect that looks like you are drunk when you move. Halo 3 doesn't even run in HD. Even Halo 3's much hyped lighting system is all over the place. Gears 3 (while much newer I'll admit, but still on the same console) has considerably better and more consistently high quality lighting.

Wat?

I don't even.....

charsace

Halo 3 water is better. The water in Halo 3 is achieved through tessellation.

The water in uncharted has a uniformity that looks unnatural. Drake moves through the Water and doesn't disturb it at all. What happens around him is a great looking pixel shader effect. The water itself looks more like half set jello than it does water. In contrast to the water in Halo where all the little ripples that form around master chief are real transforms that only possible if the water has a high poly budget or through tessellation.

So technically the water in Uncharted isn't better than the water in Halo. But then again tech is something that doesn't matter to 99% of the people that play video games. As long as most people get better AA, filtering and better looking character models they will tell you that game Y looks a generation a head of X game.

UrbanRats

Water has no physics interactions with any player movement or any other objects.

FAIL

Even when you swim in it, it doesn't look like water but just air you are gliding in.

These kiddies are new to gaming tech. They just like using youtube vids for their 'analysis'.
Got a smile out of these, thanks.
--
The pic from Halo4 weren't that impressive to me, so now i'm even more curious to see the actual game.
I might even get back the 360 in the future, and Halo is always good fun in splitscreen (halo 3 being the last i played), so let's hope it's good.

My jaw won't be on the floor if it's from consoles. Don't really understand how anyone else's can be. Impressive use of tech maybe but not shocking technical achievements.

Yeah at this part your post was not serious anymore. Halo 3 was Bungie's first Xbox 360 title and they did something amazing. I love every aspect of it. And the lightning is great. You are comparing the debut on a new console with a game where the developer had already a bunch of experience. But I agree. The overhyped graphic of Gears Of War 1 is not that great. Gears Of War 3 or Uncharted 3 are much better in these terms.

Edit.: And yeah the water is amazing. Still can not grasp why Bungie did not achieve it with Reach again. Maybe Franke didn't give them the pressure this time.

derFeef

My jaw won't be on the floor if it's from consoles. Don't really understand how anyone else's can be. Impressive use of tech maybe but not shocking technical achievements.

It needs shocking technical achievements so make console games look that good. I am often stunned what devs squeeze out of the old machines.

edit: Halo 3 butt ugly? the lighting was fantastic, I wish Reach still had that - paired with the higher fidelity it would have looked even better. (Halo 4 seems to do that, luckily)

Tell me more. I want to be up to my eyeballs in details.

PooBone

My money is on Halo 4. In one of the recent Waypoint bulletins or the 343 podcast they said that they'd had a bunch of press in the office to check out the game and they showed off campaign for the first time as well. Halo 4 gets my vote.

Dabanton

Just saw this on my FB. So would a campaign reveal count as a handover?

screenshot2012-04-03a4zj5o.png

Toppot

Perkel

Banned
Halo 3 water is better. The water in Halo 3 is achieved through tessellation.

The water in uncharted has a uniformity that looks unnatural. Drake moves through the Water and doesn't disturb it at all. What happens around him is a great looking pixel shader effect. The water itself looks more like half set jello than it does water. In contrast to the water in Halo where all the little ripples that form around master chief are real transforms that only possible if the water has a high poly budget or through tessellation.

So technically the water in Uncharted isn't better than the water in Halo. But then again tech is something that doesn't matter to 99% of the people that play video games. As long as most people get better AA, filtering and better looking character models they will tell you that game Y looks a generation a head of X game.

Don't watch it.. it will break your hearth :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuY3-SLuDA&feature=related

My guess is with the announcement of Little Big Planet Karting and the rumors of GI new cover story having "spectacular" graphics, I can only assume one thing. Unkarted Racing is happening. Sony has gone all in with reviving the kart racers from yesteryear and it shall be glorious.

Of course, It's most likely something already revealed or leaked. Ideally, it would be a new IP reveal, but I know how likely that is.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Halo 3 definitely had the most impressive water physics of this generation.

Bioshock had good looking water but absolutely no physics, my biggest complaint of Bioshock was that they did not use the water mechanic enough, aside from leaking water everywhere. Wasted potential.

Nutter

Halo 4? Doesn't that look a lot like the 3rd game? I'm hoping its something totally new though.

God of War 4 would be cool, minus Kratos. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be even better, but that isn't going to come out in my life time apparently.

Yes because GoW4 is not going to look like its 3rd game. LOL

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm not going to hold my breath. GameInformer can't even get my address right. Had to call them today only to find out they made a mistake with my address, only after giving it to them for my second or third time. :(

And yes, I know the editors and the one (yes, I think there's only one) customer support guy are different. Still....

I dunno... Of what we've seen of Halo 4, I really can't imagine it looking "jaw-dropping" by any stretch. Sure, it can look polished and ultra-clean, but nothing unprecedented. I'm expecting something like God of War 3/Killzone 2 in their respective time periods.

Proelite

I dunno... Of what we've seen of Halo 4, I really can't imagine it looking "jaw-dropping" by any stretch. Sure, it can look polished and ultra-clean, but nothing unprecedented. I'm expecting something like God of War 3/Killzone 2 in their respective time periods.

We've only seen pre-alpha multiplayer footage.

Striek

I can't believe how many people are actually trying to guess which console game in 2012 is going to be jaw-dropping. The consoles are pretty much tapped dry. Shit has plateaued.

Halo 4? Yeah, theres only a dozen really awesome looking FPS game that they'll have to do have done a ton of work to even match, let alone exceed by any worthy degree.

God of War 4? Its going to look like God of War 3. Hardly a bad thing but... its been done.

It could be one of those titles, but its not going to wow anyone unless they really want to be wowed irrespective of what it actually looks like compared to whats already available. Of course there is a good amount of said people..

Top Bottom