• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer's McNamara: "I seriously think Nintendo has banned Game Informer"

canedaddy

I *might* have an issue with it. It depends on what the hell it actually *is*, because all we have right now is a tweet with no details. I'm not going to get the torches and pitchforks out on that basis just yet.
A lot of folks here seem to believe Nintendo should shut out GI for a slightly negative review eight years ago.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I love Nintendo games, they make some of the best in the biz. With that said my absolute favorite part of the company as a whole is that they tell the western game "journalists" to go suck a dick. Bravo Nintendo

Yup, I may not be a huge fan of some of Nintendo's more questionable decisions they've made in their history, but this is an attitude I totally support. Now more than ever in this day of the western game journalism circlejerk.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Did Nintendo ban Nintendo Power as well? The last two issues have had a whopping total of 2 game reviews each. 2!! Between Nintendo's current three systems I'm pretty sure there's been more then 4 games released recently... right?

A lot of folks here seem to believe Nintendo should shut out GI for a slightly negative review eight years ago.

A lot of folks here aren't idiots. They're not serious. GI isnt banned. Nintendo wouldn't ban anyone even if they wanted to.

Also the problem wasn't their review. Just like with any popular, highly acclaimed game with an outlier review, people bitched. PM2 was getting great reviews elsewhere; so people whined about the GI review, but they moved on.

What caused the shitstorm was the explanation they released later on. Nobody would remember the review if it wasn't for the explanation.

Ashler

This is just nintendo proving their commitment to digital content this Gen...

Yeah Reggie, check that box! :)

GQman2121

Banned
Nintendo's success depends more on mainstream press than gaming magazines.

I think this is truer than people realize or are willing to admit.

The sale of fun to the casual audience - or the average Wii owner - is a much easier pitch through the typical news outlets than a magazine that tries to appeal specifically to gamer's.

And that's not to say that Game Informer is nothing more than a PR pamphlet to promote products. However, the only reason they matter is because of their exclusive reveals. That's it. No one is going there for their opinions or reviews. They land cover stories. How they land them, I don't think anyone gives a shit, but without them they're dead. This whole Twitter thing is likely because Andy would like more Nintendo on their covers (maybe the do well for them with non subscribers?) and Nintendo is bucking for whatever reason.

apana

It's primarily regular purchasers though. Game Informer has always promoted itself squarely at the hardcore gamer, and yes, has bashed Nintendo in the past. However, with the Wii and Wii U, two things are becoming clear:

1. Nintendo doesn't care about the hardcore audience, so therefore no need to promote to the hardcore press.

2. Wii owners could give two shits about Game Informer's reviews, as the biggest-selling game was Wii Play and that was given a very poor rating.

So thus, stop reporting on Nintendo, and stop wasting pages on reviews and opinion about the company that nobody will read. It's a win for GI as they no longer have to waste their time with a company that doesn't give them the time of day, and a win for Nintendo as GI will no longer need to paint them in a highly negative light (although some would say negative coverage is still better than none at all).

Gamestop sells a lot of Nintendo products, it's not true that people who read Game Informer or shop regularly at Gamestop don't buy Nintendo games. Even a lot of hardcore gamers buy games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Donkey Kong not to mention the many hardcore gamers who bought Wii games to play with family and friends. You are making way too many assumptions. It's not realistic for a video game magaizine to just ignore Nintendo.

Holy shit @ the quote in post #31 with GI's explanation about reviews. That's not a fucking review! It's just a hivemind guesstimation. It's what Metacritic is for.

LOL videogames

GQman2121

Banned
Holy shit @ the quote in post #31 with GI's explanation about reviews. That's not a fucking review! It's just a hivemind guesstimation. It's what Metacritic is for.

LOL videogames

I'm pretty sure they would backpedal if pressed or questioned on that specific statement today. It's such an asinine thought process.

Didn't they have a huge Skyward Sword blowout article like, really recently? Haven't they given great scores to pretty much all first-party Nintendo games?

Yea but if you actually read GI, they always ripped the Wii and it's games. Granted maybe some of that is resentment since Nintendo is hard to deal with. Either way, not a fan of GI anyway, so this is fine haha.

Similar to Giant Bomb in that respect, except I really enjoy GIant Bomb despite their lack of Nintendo coverage.

Eric Hall

Good idea Andy McNamara, stir up crap with the only console maker that will keep your parent company in business next gen.

001.jpg

WiiU gonna put Nintendo back in third place

LOL videogames

Yeah its one of the most idiotic things a magazine has published in the industry, and continues to discredit Game Informer as being run by idiots.

If Game Informer felt that Paper Mario 2 was mediocre or average, then that's their opinion and I have no problem with that. I would applaud them for sticking to it, and publishing their heartfelt reflections on the game, even if I (and many others) didn't agree. Varied opinions are wonderful.

However, they later went on to say that the review, score and opinion presented isn't actually their real opinion, and is instead a conjured piece designed to satisfy the expected views of the nebulous collective that makes up their readership. In short, after playing the game, they ignored their own opinion and compiled a review and score built around complete guesswork as to how their readers as a whole would collectively respond to the product. They, as supposed journalists who played the game, created a fiction designed to appease those that hadn't.

They've never clarified if such utterly moronic practices still continue at their magazine, and are clearly not worth a purchase until they do.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah its one of the most idiotic things a magazine has published in the industry, and continues to discredit Game Informer as being run by idiots.

If Game Informer felt that Paper Mario 2 was mediocre or average, then that's their opinion and I have no problem with that. I would applaud them for sticking to it, and publishing their heartfelt reflections on the game, even if I (and many others) didn't agree. Varied opinions are wonderful.

However, they later went on to say that the review, score and opinion presented isn't actually their real opinion, and is instead a conjured piece designed to satisfy the expected views of the nebulous collective that makes up their readership. In short, after playing the game, they ignored their own opinion and compiled a review and score built around complete guesswork as to how their readers as a whole would collectively respond to the product.

They've never clarified if such utterly moronic practices still continue at their magazine, and are clearly not worth a purchase until they do.

It's not just that they said they scored Paper Mario lower because of what they thought others would think. The worst part is that they admitted to inflating review scores for games they thought would be popular even though they didn't like the game. That right there completely destroys the integrity of any review they publish.

NateDrake

It's not just that they said they scored Paper Mario lower because of what they thought others would think. The worst part is that they admitted to inflating review scores for games they thought would be popular even though they didn't like the game. That right there completely destroys the integrity of any review they publish.

That's the key issue. They basically admitted that they give, say, Call of Duty high scores because it will sell 10 million copies, but more niche titles get tossed aside and given lower scores because they appeal to a smaller audience -- or because GameStop only will receive two copies so why give any hype to a niche title.

Dave Long

Banned
...and yet their circulation means all our bitching and moaning will never matter. They will always be the last magazine standing.

U2NUMB

In a related note.. many employees of GI are often on a weekly video games radio show on the local Sports station. Normally good stuff and the calls are always hilarious just how random and odd the general gaming public in general thinks.

Video Games Weekly

evangd007

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/194/001.jpg[IMG]

WiiU gonna put Nintendo back in third place[/QUOTE]

As much as you think WiiU may hurt Nintendo, Nintendo would have to put legitimate effort into making the WiiU a colossal failure to outdo the Incompetence Inc. that is Sony currently.

Top Bottom